Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease - How worried should we be?

pinkpanther99

After reading this news story earlier, as a parent to a 1 year old child, how worried should I be Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease?

I really don't know much about it, hence starting this topic. Is it anything to majorly concerned about? Has anyone's kids ever suffered from it? How can we reduce the risk of catching the disease?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My son had HFM twice before he was 2, both times in Isaan, the first time caught from a child who came to his 1st birthday party and the second time caught from a playground in Sisaket (we think). The 2nd time was the Enterovirus71 virus which can be deadly so he spent a few days in a hospital under observation and on a drip which was awful to see.

It is scary but there are more scary things to be worried about here. TBH I was more concerned with Dengue than I was HFM, even after he had caught HFM twice.

Personal anecdote: my daughter had it. Picked it up at school of course. Just like the common flu or chicken pox claims a number of people annually, each year a few unfortunate souls die of this as well. But of course the vast majority just get over it. Keep the kids hydrated if they get it. I remember my daughter didn't have much appetite, due to a few little sores in her mouth that developed. Made sure she got some rest and fluids, and all was right again in 2 or 3 days (can't precisely remember how long). From the article above:

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is usually a minor illness causing only a few days of fever and relatively mild signs and symptoms.

My son got it when he was 3ish and bless him gave it to me.

Think I complained more than he did so yes pretty mild
Far as I'm aware there's not a lot you can do to prevent it apart from the usual hygiene routine

Edited by Rob W

Our little daughter Amy had it, too, caught it at her (private) school in northern Surin province last year. Her teacher saw red spots on her hand palms. Went to see the doctor right away and it was confirmed MHF. One week she didn't eat, because of the sores in her mouth. It was the worst time in her young life so far. An ordeal for the parents as well as you have to look helplessly how she cries when she tries to eat or even just drink anything. She was 3½ then. Here's a picture of her made today with her mum at a Children's Day celebration.

post-5472-0-42431800-1389348825_thumb.jp

Edited by Dario

My son had HFM twice before he was 2, both times in Isaan, the first time caught from a child who came to his 1st birthday party and the second time caught from a playground in Sisaket (we think). The 2nd time was the Enterovirus71 virus which can be deadly so he spent a few days in a hospital under observation and on a drip which was awful to see.

It is scary but there are more scary things to be worried about here. TBH I was more concerned with Dengue than I was HFM, even after he had caught HFM twice.

A good advise in case anyone suffer from Dengue fewer. I heard it from many people how actually used this method and they got rid of Dengue. I also read it on internet in some health pages.

If you get Dengue crush Papaya Leave and take out the juice, the juice is very bitter, drink two tea spoon of the juice every 6 hours. In couple days you should be ok. Of course you should also contact doctor, hospital , whatever you have to do but keep in mind to use the Papaya Leaves also. Hope you don't sue me for this the risk is yours to take it or not. You can also search on it on internet.

• Like 1