US Embassy in Bangkok advises citizens to stock a two week supply of cash, food and medicine

Jonathan Fairfield

If you are that worried, pack up the wheelchair and go have a holiday in some neighboring country. A month will only set you lot back 30k+ and while you are there you can contemplate your future in this unstable country that you moved to for whatever dubious reasons in the first place.

If it is me you are replying to I have no intention to do so. This is my second country and I know it will come through as it has in the past. On the other hand it never hurts to take some precautions whether the problem is floods, bushfires, sunburn or civil unrest. Electricity is a fragile product. A few will remember the power failures that shut off all of Bangkok some 35 years ago lasting several days. Lifts did not work, pumps did not work, sewerage did not and backed up and food went rotten in freezers.

Similar things have happened in Canada and in New Zealand.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are that worried, pack up the wheelchair and go have a holiday in some neighboring country. A month will only set you lot back 30k+ and while you are there you can contemplate your future in this unstable country that you moved to for whatever dubious reasons in the first place.

If it is me you are replying to I have no intention to do so. This is my second country and I know it will come through as it has in the past. On the other hand it never hurts to take some precautions whether the problem is floods, bushfires, sunburn or civil unrest. Electricity is a fragile product. A few will remember the power failures that shut off all of Bangkock some 35 years ago lasting several days. Lifts did not work, pumps did not work, sewerage did not and backed up and food went rotten in freezers.

Time to drag the generator out again ? My little generator got me through a 2 day power cut a few months ago. All frozen food intact, TV, computer and internet access 24/7.

read trought all this thread cheesy.gif

But in case you, fellow american, run out of Oreo or toilet paper, just let you know that the 7-eleven at the ekkamai/phetbchaburi junction will be secure by John MacLaine. Still if you need to flee to Utapao airport, Jack Bauer can provide a songtaew ride from sukhumvit 101.

keep your mobile communications devices charged

cheesy.gif but ??!!! who you gonna call??? Wyat Earp?laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

ps: The american embassy should have keep it quiet instead of bringing shame on their citizenwhistling.gif

Not much hope for sorting out all the issues between red and yellow when people on this forum spend time arguing about whether it's prudent or pointless to have a reserve of some essential products, at a time when no-one can possibly know for sure which path events will follow. Let everyone decide for themselves what their comfort level is, why waste time arguing over it, got to be better things to do, surely.

I went to Tesco Koh Samui today the shelves are empty and the first thing that came to mind was either people are stockpiling or they have transportation issues I would imagine that supplies come from Bangkok if all these intersections are closed I cannot see many vehicles being on the roads in Bangkok something tells me weare all in for a crazy week or two all due to one individual lock him up and throw the key away he wants to turn Thailand into a North Korea where no one will have any rights accept those with masses of wealth gained by corruption.

It's interesting what people can find humor in,

but the bare shelves in both Big C & Lotus are anything but funny.

It's real where we are at, and for some reason it has been this way since the 5th.

Can't even find milk at the big stores, just 7/11 & maybe family mart,

not sure about the later.

Bread is only available in the early mornings.

Tissue aisles are completely bare as well.

And here I thought people had found alternatives to tissue...?

In just a few days it will get to be interesting as to what's really funny about these demonstrations.

Tourism seems to be rocking where we are, plenty of fully booked hotels,

all motorcycles & cars rented out.

Shortage of staff available to deal with high volumes of traffic in the retail sectors,

and a lot of shops mentioning higher prices due to high season,

which I've never been able to get my head around...why the prices have to go up,

if there's more people around buying?

Thailand was set for a great 2014.

Now lets just see how it shapes out???

If it is me you are replying to I have no intention to do so. This is my second country and I know it will come through as it has in the past. On the other hand it never hurts to take some precautions whether the problem is floods, bushfires, sunburn or civil unrest. Electricity is a fragile product. A few will remember the power failures that shut off all of Bangkok some 35 years ago lasting several days. Lifts did not work, pumps did not work, sewerage did not and backed up and food went rotten in freezers.

No, was not directing my comment to anyone directly.

Bangkok 35 yrs ago, well that was an entirely different place. Besides, who cares if they shut the lifts, walk up. AC? It's the coolest part of the year and we are experiencing a bit of a cold snap <deleted>. Freezer full of food here? Joking right?

We are few km from ground zero, doing nothing more than stocking up on cash and 11L bottle of water (tap + bleach, no machine here), which is always on hand. Oh, I will go buy booze. What is a revolution without booze!

Too funny, people down south and CM worried about, whatever. Just asked wife uf we should go buy some food tomorrow. Nope. She gives less f**ks than me and I give zero.

'Murkans, first to panic. Seems that way.

• Like 2

Learned long ago that the US embassy warnings mean nothing. Actually less than nothing, because now, what should i believe? Is it serious or more bs US PR crapitude? This is what happens when you dcry wolf every two minutes, you put your own citizens in danger. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing wrong with warnings, that is what the embassy is for. I know from the floods how quickly stores can be depleted. Though with cash in hand, I think you will always be able to find a meal here.

Well, this is going to be a first for me.............

I think that the American Embassy has it right this time by informing their charges of what could happen, albeit worst case scenario, in Bkk over the next couple of weeks. I predict that there will be a lot more warnings coming from other embassies over this weekend.

For those that opt to ignore advice like this, enjoy! But remember, the longer the peaceful protests continue (and remain peaceful) the more drain on stock there will be when supply routes are blocked, not just Bkk but throughout the country.

I prefer to follow the 6 P principle in situations like this:

Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance......................thumbsup.gif

But that's just me

• Like 1

No, was not directing my comment to anyone directly.

Bangkok 35 yrs ago, well that was an entirely different place. Besides, who cares if they shut the lifts, walk up. AC? It's the coolest part of the year and we are experiencing a bit of a cold snap <deleted>. Freezer full of food here? Joking right?

We are few km from ground zero, doing nothing more than stocking up on cash and 11L bottle of water (tap + bleach, no machine here), which is always on hand. Oh, I will go buy booze. What is a revolution without booze!

Too funny, people down south and CM worried about, whatever. Just asked wife uf we should go buy some food tomorrow. Nope. She gives less f**ks than me and I give zero.

'Murkans, first to panic. Seems that way.

Perhaps your wife is not very interested atcall. Does she mind when you look bit sad close to the balcony railing. While you laugh about misery coming up for both Thai society and Foreigners. Good luck with the booze. It flattens emotions.

555... the Swiss embassy merely warns of

Effective 13.01.2014, during a period of approximately 4 weeks, massive obstructions of the traffic are expected anywhere in the country, especially in Bangkok. Consult www.reisehinweise.ch. Limit any transfers in Bangkok to what is essential.
Seems more of a cool headed response.
  • Like 1

Learned long ago that the US embassy warnings mean nothing. Actually less than nothing, because now, what should i believe? Is it serious or more bs US PR crapitude? This is what happens when you dcry wolf every two minutes, you put your own citizens in danger. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing wrong with warnings, that is what the embassy is for. I know from the floods how quickly stores can be depleted. Though with cash in hand, I think you will always be able to find a meal here.

At least we won't starve. From what I've heard there's no shortage of rice. smile.png

I think these 'advices' from Embassies have come a little late myself. People were out panic buying a week ago in the North....and the trouble is nowhere near here so far ! Went into Big C and Makro today and the first had got on the bandwagon and lifted prices on many products by up to 15% since last week. Many empty shelves and the Mrs picked up the last two cartons of Coconut Milk as she remembers well the shortages suffered during the floods. Makro's prices were all unaltered but some empty shelving, and perhaps most surprisingly, as they have their own bakery, almost zero bread available.

Siege mentality seems to be the order of the day.

I think these 'advices' from Embassies have come a little late myself. People were out panic buying a week ago in the North....and the trouble is nowhere near here so far ! Went into Big C and Makro today and the first had got on the bandwagon and lifted prices on many products by up to 15% since last week. Many empty shelves and the Mrs picked up the last two cartons of Coconut Milk as she remembers well the shortages suffered during the floods. Makro's prices were all unaltered but some empty shelving, and perhaps most surprisingly, as they have their own bakery, almost zero bread available.

Makro in Roi-Et had shelves stacked to the ceiling today, short of absolutely nothing at all. Never seen it so well stocked. Normal level of trade too.

Did the usual annual stock up of long life stuff. Nothing unusual to report.

I've always found the supply of coconut milk to be a problem, strangely. Makro is always hit and miss with sliced bread too, especially wholemeal.

Just sayin' is all.

Edited by MJP

How quickly everyone forgets. Wasn't it just a couple years ago that the floods interrupted the supply lines in this country and you couldn't get toilet paper and bottled water here in Chiang Mai for weeks?

I remember what it was like trying to find essential items like kitty litter and brown rice. I see nothing wrong with stocking up on essential items, knowing the way the centralized distribution channels for manufactured goods work in this country. The management of our local Tops, Tesco-Lotus,7-11, etc don't seem to have any independent purchasing authority. Like so much in so many sectors in this country, all the decision-making comes from Bangkok and if everyone stays away from work in Bangkok, no decisions get made.

Is there any harm in having a couple weeks supply of cat food around .... just in case?

Why ? Because the embassy said you should or you would do it anyway on your own ?

First of all, on Monday and Tuesday nothing will happen. On Wednesday and after, something might happen, but you'll know on Tuesday at which point you can go and get food for 3-4 days, what ppeople usually do. Case of eggs, milk, bacon whatever you're eating. In 3-4 days you gonna figure out a way (without thinking at all, same as every other day or almost) to get food for next 3-4 days... etc.

I can already see bunch of scared-of-everything americans/europeans walking around big c pushing those carts filled with food and other bs they don't need. Such an image pisses me off. Probably because I grew up in war so for me this is laughable... protests and the reaction of foreigners on a first sign of trouble.

It makes me feel ashamed.

I can't for the life of me understand why you have managed to generate 3 likes, I only wish that there was a dislike button on this site (and many others of a like nature). I have been here through a couple of coups and I would say that those expats who had been resident in Thailand for several years these coups were no more than an inconvenience, for visiting business associates it scared the sh-t out of them and they just wanted to get back to their hotel and exit Thailand ASAP.

In short I think your comments in paragraph three and your closing sentence are a crock of sh-t even though I did not grow up in a war.

Just go to Isaan for a few weeks. Plenty of food, nice people and no lunatics.

And where do you think Isaan gets its stock from?

Advising people to come and deplete your stock is very civil, but not too clever..........wink.png

tongue.png

Plenty of cheap, good better beer across the river in Lao!

• Like 1

It would have been good if the American Embassy would have sent this notice out sooner to give people more time to prepare. Issuing it on a Friday isn't that bright when the protests are only 2 days away and the weekend is starting. Also, many bank branches are closed on weekends, not allowing people perhaps enough time to make a withdrawal from the branch in the event they don't have an ATM card. Also, there is a higher chance supplies at certain hypermarts will already be dwindling by now.

The German Embassy was sensible enough to send something out on the 8th (Wednesday) giving you a couple more weekdays to prepare. The German Embassy was also good enough to advise you on making preparations.

Following is a translation of the letter sent out by the German Embassy. It was translated by Google translate, so excuse the imperfect English.

Dear compatriots,

Some opposition groups are planning on and after 13 January 2014 to achieve their political goals to obstruct the road in Bangkok on a large scale. Whether this is successful, how long these actions will last, and what consequences this will have for daily life in Bangkok is currently completely unknown. The plan is to obstruct traffic by demonstrations at the following points :

Urupong Intersection, Hua Lamphong train station , Silom Road, Phayathai Road, Victory Monument , Ladprao Intersection, Pratunam , Klongtoey, Ratchadamnoen Road, Chinatown , Charoenphon Intersection, Bangruk Intersection, Samyan Road, Ratchathavee Intersection, Siam Square, Din Daeng , Lumpini Park , Asoke Intersection, Petchaburi Road, Ratchaprasong Intersection. Although the practical effects are not predictable , I suggest you still some basic precautions :

- Stock up your vehicles on time and fill the gas tank.
- Lay down a cash reserve. No one knows if all ATM will be filled in the next week .
- Check your food stocks for sufficient rice, pasta or other durable food supplies.
- Make sure that your water supply (Sprinkle, etc.) is filled up.
- Backup a supply in advance with any much needed medications.
- Check the balance of your mobile phones and top them up if necessary (pre-paid).
- If you are planning travel through the airports Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang on 01.13.2014, plan in any case, a sufficient time for the arrival and departure to and from the airport. If you want to be absolutely sure, please consult the airlines before your trip, or place it on a slightly later date. There is also the possibility to take a room near the airport the night before in order to ensure making the departure the next day.
- Bypass, if possible, especially on 01/13/2014 driving your vehicle and use the public transport system instead.

Again, no one knows the duration and the impact of disabilities predicted. How I hope that everyday life is as soon as possible to go on as usual. Nevertheless, we should protect us all within the means through wise precaution against unnecessary bottlenecks. The Embassy is trying, especially with regard to the services that our German compatriots, to maintain a normal service operation to continue.

With best wishes,

Rolf Schulze
Ambassador

Edited by Paul9989

I can't see where the US Embassy is overreacting or why such a notice is published based on secret NSA knowledge, or whatever. Seems simple to me:

- Food and supply warehouses are located outside the city.

- Trucks deliver food and supplies to stores and markets inside the city.

- If the roads are blocked, and it certainly looks like they will be, food and supplies will not be delivered to stores and markets. And no company wants to risk losing a truck and its contents to a mob at a roadblock.

Seems prudent enough to me that an embassy would advise its nationals to stock up. Shelves are already beginning to run short, and once the delivery trucks cannot make it in, there will be restocking and nobody knows for how long that could be the case.

Ridiculous. Once again, America shows itself to be the premiere scaredy-cat nation on earth.

what a nit wit post from you.

If they did not advise and something happened they would be wrong.

Just because it is the US government. Eh?

The first one your country will run to when in trouble.

And no, I am not American.

They have done what they are supposed to do

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Exactly, damned if they give out a warning,and damned if they don't!

• Like 2

Makro in Roi-Et had shelves stacked to the ceiling today, short of absolutely nothing at all. Never seen it so well stocked. Normal level of trade too.

Did the usual annual stock up of long life stuff. Nothing unusual to report.

I've always found the supply of coconut milk to be a problem, strangely. Makro is always hit and miss with sliced bread too, especially wholemeal.

Just sayin' is all.

No differences at the stores in Udon, either. Business as usual, so far.

Pity for Bangkok, though. What a mess.

Ridiculous. Once again, America shows itself to be the premiere scaredy-cat nation on earth.

Yeah OK, Ajaan...and just what country do you hail from that you think you are so "brave"??? Indeed, nothing may happen at all that requires a stash of food, water, cash, etc, and I personally don't believe the possibility is all that great. But it IS a possibility, more so now than say a year or so ago. And if serious civil strife were to break out that caused major disruptions is the food distribution systems, banking, etc., and you are not prepared, I surmise you'll wetting your pants about what to eat, your meds, etc. But don't worry, maybe some prepared Yank will be generous enough to share what they have, you oh-so-brave-soul...

• Like 2

Right so when hell breaks loose on Monday the following will happen.

Thai Stock Market will go up 15 points.

Your friendly neighborhood moto-taxi man will either:

1) Demand double the usual fair because he can (supply and demand thing I am told)

or

2) Will be missing for a few days

The Good Sir Dang banter among the lasses at your local watering hole will rise again 100% because it's back in trend.

The frequency of Paint and Repair type ads will once again increase on local TV stations.

711 will report it's best ever month of turn-over in 3 years

The Kuwaiti Embassy will revise it's warning to "leave immediately once you have finished shopping"

• Like 1

There was a fatal shooting at a protest site near Khok Wua intersection at 2:45 am this morning.

Just a few dozen meters from Khao San Road tourist hotspot. Early reports indicate an M16 rifle, with 7 more injured. When someone opens up with an M16, nobody in the area is safe, and a few hundred meters isn't much of a buffer between high velocity bullets and holiday makers.

Can't post a link- not allowed.

Seems like 45 countries have issued travel warnings.

Take it seriously, don't take it seriously. Your choice.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1