Effect of Bkk Shutdown here in Pattaya

Gone

The population will increase as Bangkokians (ites?) migrate to Patts. It will get busier but I can't see food or the basics becoming a problem except maybe some short supplies at the 7/11's or supermarket. Could be more interesting if the tanks do roll and they introduce a curfew.

Just in case I'll keep a good supply of the essentials at home.

Cigs, JD, coke, ice, baked beans, man-farang, cash, diesel in the tank and a 20ltr of 91 for the scooters. Sorted smile.png

I just hope all the temporary residents don't rock up to my golf course! blink.png

what does man-farang mean?

AKA potato

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP asked "does your wife/gf know anything more what the Thais are saying?"

My wife has said that we need to make sure that we have cash, that we cannot rely on the ATMs for the duration of the protest. Actually she does not think that it will be a problem, she just thinks that it would be a wise precaution.

• Like 1

My flight leaves for Thailand in 10 hours. I am already at a Denver airport hotel. I forgot my Metformin (diabetic pills) and I live too far from Denver (Estes Park) to go back and get some.

Does anyone know if metformin is sold in Pattaya and if so, will this political mess hamper me being able to get some? Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

The OP asked "does your wife/gf know anything more what the Thais are saying?"

My wife has said that we need to make sure that we have cash, that we cannot rely on the ATMs for the duration of the protest. Actually she does not think that it will be a problem, she just thinks that it would be a wise precaution.

My Thai wife thinks its a great idea to keep money in the house protest or no protest

dam she just can not remember the Credit card password

• Like 1

That's a good point about the ATM's being down. I'd assume they all go via Bangkok phone lines and modems and if Bangkok is down, no cash available to the farang for his drinking habits.

We have also been told there is a secret plan to in fact take over the airports. You won't read about it in the newspapers but the plan exist. Thai's aren't as stupid as many on here think. The airports getting shut down speaks louder than a few intersections in Bangkok proper. I'd say by the end of the week they move to the airports, and I do mean both of them.

My flight leaves for Thailand in 10 hours. I am already at a Denver airport hotel. I forgot my Metformin (diabetic pills) and I live too far from Denver (Estes Park) to go back and get some.

Does anyone know if metformin is sold in Pattaya and if so, will this political mess hamper me being able to get some? Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Metformin is very widely used around the world. Surely you will find some in Thailand. They may come under the brand name Glucophage. Same same.

Metformin is very widely used around the world. Surely you will find some in Thailand. They may come under the brand name Glucophage. Same same.

Sent you a PM. Also from EP but been here since 1969. Also use Metformin. Available everywhere in multiple dosages and much cheaper than USA I imagine? Have a great trip. Jeep in Pattaya

Forgot to add: You don't need a scrip to purchase it.

Edited by jeepholt

That's a good point about the ATM's being down. I'd assume they all go via Bangkok phone lines and modems and if Bangkok is down, no cash available to the farang for his drinking habits.

We have also been told there is a secret plan to in fact take over the airports. You won't read about it in the newspapers but the plan exist. Thai's aren't as stupid as many on here think. The airports getting shut down speaks louder than a few intersections in Bangkok proper. I'd say by the end of the week they move to the airports, and I do mean both of them.

And if they don't

will you apoligise to all members of this web site for stiring up trouble that never happened

Yes

No change in plans for me. I keep some cash for emergencies at the condo anyway, and 20 litres of water

and some food. Personally I never expect to use it but it is easy to do and not expensive. The cash is the main

thing as telecommunications or ATM service could be interrupted. Not worried just prudent. wink.png

And if they don't

will you apoligise to all members of this web site for stiring up trouble that never happened

Stirring up trouble? Are you a retard? He made a valid point in this post as apposed to your un-educated remark.

If they do, will you kiss my feet and apologize?

Here I am thinking I made a ecent legitimate post to help and out from under the bridges come............

If you feel the need to bash Pattaya please do it in your journal.

If you have any decent input, please post it here.

And the comments about the warehouse being outside of Bkk center is true however most of them are in Pathum Thani and Rangsit where a lot of the action will be so.......

Anyways, just stocked up in Fascino and asked them and they said they just got a shipment in today (were unloading as I was there) but also said that they might not be able to get a nother for some time so I think my post is more then real.

An off topic post suggesting Pattaya should be nuked has been removed along with all the quoted replies

omg ! Please folks this is a serious post regarding what can happen here in Pattaya and NOT an oportunity to bash the place where we live.

There has been some good replies like:

Keep cash on hand as the ATM's will be effected

Internet could also be disrupted here in Pattaya as the towers are in Bkk

Pharmacies might run low on supplies

Grocery stores WILL run low

Hotels will most likely be full

etc etc etc. This will effect Pattaya no mater what you think folks.

PS: Buy banjo strings !!!!!!!

A lot of doom days preppers here, okay if you are dependent on medicine I can understand and cash is always king.

As a poster already mention, most factories are located between BKK and Patts so supplies should hopefully not be interrupted by the lock down of BKK.

During the last flooding many things were very hard to find: baby diapers, cooking oil and bottled water but that was the flooding that caused that, not political unrest.

+90% of all Thais are not involved in the current unrest but just want to get on with their life's so lets hope they soon find a peaceful solution to this.

As a side note, I also notice BKK no plates on cars when going out as they are easy to spot at a glance. I know a few that prefer BKK (living in Patts) no plates on their cars for different reasons: One drives a lot in BKK and are not harassed so much in there because of his BKK no plate.

Please folks this is a serious post regarding what can happen here in Pattaya and NOT an oportunity to bash the place where we live.

etc etc etc. This will effect Pattaya no mater what you think

If Bangkok protests last few days only, it won't affect us.

But Bangkok events will not be just few days, protesters will stay on the streets as long as needed, sooner or later violence breaks out, and it will very likely be much more serious than red shirts in 2010.

After there is blood on the streets in Bangkok, army will step in, restore order, and goverment will be replaced.

If caos and lawlessness that starts on Monday, goes on for weeks, it will affect us in Pattaya and all of Thailand very much.

• Like 1

An off topic post suggesting Pattaya should be nuked has been removed along with all the quoted replies

omg ! Please folks this is a serious post regarding what can happen here in Pattaya and NOT an oportunity to bash the place where we live.

etc etc etc. This will effect Pattaya no mater what you think folks.

PS: Buy banjo strings !!!!!!!

i have lived here through floods, airport closures, riot and coup

at no time has my supply of the things i want been affected including meds

scaremongering posts like this will cause shortages by people overreacting and hoarding

post-81023-0-50721300-1389486352_thumb.j

Edited by blackman

I too have lived here thru the floods and riots. But in my case, I noticed cigarettes were in short supply as well as bottled water and some other essentials. Expats who lived here then can remember the empty shelves in 7-11.This a very real world worry, it would be very naive to not be concerned about the possible fallout of the political situation in Bangkok. It is not scare mongering, it is reality and those who are not prepared could find themselves at the very least inconvenienced. Just my two cents worth. Up to you, as they say.

• Like 2