Pheu Thai demands EC to stage elections in 28 constituencies

Lite Beer

Pheu Thai demands EC to stage elections in 28 constituencies

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai party has demanded the Election Commission to stage elections in 28 constituencies where registration of candidacy could not be undertaken due to protests within 180 days.

Party leader Charupong Ruangsuwan said Friday that the party followed the EC’s suggestion that party’s candidates who failed to register their candidacy lodged petitions to the Supreme Court for consideration.

The court however dismissed the petitions claiming that the authority to endorse candidacy registration rests with the Election Commission that the court cannot interfere with.

As a result of the court’s ruling, Charupong said that the EC must stage elections in the 28 constituencies and should not claim that elections cannot be held because of possible troubles.

He added that the EC should not use the Bangkok Shutdown incident as an excuse for not staging the February 2 election.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pheu-thai-demands-ec-stage-elections-28-constituencies/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pheu-thai-demands-ec-stage-elections-28-constituencies

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-10

• Like 1

Forget elections on 2. February, they never will stand the laws...And the most Thai dont want it, get it ...cheesy.gif

no we don't 'get it' as most Thais WANT the election and a small group of morons are trying to shut down democracy with the Democratic Party (sic) falling into the trap and trundling along after Master Suthep like lapdogs

the EC are wavering around like straws in the wind - it's embarrassing

Why it's embarrassing? The Election Commission offered the way out of the current crisis by urging Yingluck's government to delay elections in order to stop violence and save lives. Absolutely logical and reasonable suggestion. Yingluck's government did exact opposite and pushed for further confrontation.

Do you think anything would have changed if election date would have been moved? Looking at Suthep requests, nothing would have changed imho.

• Like 1

Forget elections on 2. February, they never will stand the laws...And the most Thai dont want it, get it ...cheesy.gif

no we don't 'get it' as most Thais WANT the election and a small group of morons are trying to shut down democracy with the Democratic Party (sic) falling into the trap and trundling along after Master Suthep like lapdogs

Why it's embarrassing? The Election Commission offered the way out of the current crisis by urging Yingluck's government to delay elections in order to stop violence and save lives. Absolutely logical and reasonable suggestion. Yingluck's government did exact opposite and pushed for further confrontation.

it's a Royal Decree - you know what that is right? The EC said 'we have no power to delay' then they change? they do not allow 28 candidates to register late as they are blocked and forced not to register in a democratic election?

this sounds more like Pol Pot or Myanmar - you REALLY don't think this sounds more like 1930s Germany than 2014 Thailand??? wake UP

• Like 1

Why are they so in a hurry?
This is very unthai.
1. The Constitution allows subsequent elections or in this country, are now, no riots?
2. Many institutions have advised a shift.
3. The elections on February 4. would not be valid. It can not come to an opening of parliament.
4. Why should again have access to state funds exactly the same corrupt and/or convicted criminals politicians. It would however be further unrest.
5. Better to give the CC, the NACC, the EC and the courts time to complete the process clean.
6. A good caretaker government would try now to integrate other institutions for reforms in to the process.
7. The whole street protests would still lose weight and lose meaning when both sides were really interested in a peaceful and good solution for the good of the country.
8. Who makes all this stress? It's just Suthep and the top 12 from PT.
9. Give the courts the time to eliminate these figures finally forever from the field. This would really help this country.
10. Why not call a new election date? Lets say 01.07.2014. or 01.08.2014
Then all sides have time to clear the situation.
No one wants to curtail the right to vote in this country.
If the elections on February 4 would be carried out, I expect a real bloodbath.
Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

The EC have to stop complaining and get on with their job.

If they wont do their job they should be sacked.

For very good reason a caretaker government can't sack the EC.

But I agree they should resign. That would be the best.

• Like 2

In a democracy a government cannot demand an independent agency to do anything. And caretaker governments less so. The EC is working extremely hard to ensure that all the rules are followed correctly. The PTP is trying to force its own wishes Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not even the government demand it is the PTP.....And before they could demand when the red thugs treated people. But now with the Democracy demonstration it won't work.

Where does that come from? The Thais I am surrounded with (+1000 empooyees at our factoru) do want elections. In my town I hear the same sounds. Why wouldn't stand the law?

Here in my office 14 out of 15 don't want reforms first and in the town where I am sometimes (NST) everyone is furious about the government. Seems there are big regional differences.

• Like 1

And listed 3 family members at the first 5 top positions and another 2 as regional MPs. Just short after tearful telling they don't want to keep the power the only want peace....

• Like 2

They can hold elections. I am guessing that "None of the above" will win. Not that there will be any "above" anyway.

But, having said that, I wonder what happens with the party list votes if there are no constituency candidates to vote for?

PTP demands elections!

Suthep demands reporters tell his version of the truth!

PTP demands Suthep be arrested!

Suthep demands he appoint a Council of Good People!

PTP demands Thaksin to return!

Suthep demands that Yingluck stop making demands!

Yingluck demands that Suthep stop making demands!

Well, I have a few demands of my own...

I demand they rename the Milkyway galaxy the Douglas Adams Concordat!

I demand that the major leaders of all countries must eat Cadbury's chocolate 20 minutes before important meetings!

I demand that Raman noodles from henceforth be called King Rama noodles!

And I demand that people all over the earth forever more refer to Monday as Miseryday!

Maybe General Prayuth will negotiate it for me......

tongue.png

PTP demands elections!

I demand that the major leaders of all countries must eat Cadbury's chocolate 20 minutes before important meetings!

And I demand that people all over the earth forever more refer to Monday as Miseryday!

tongue.png

All your demands are approved. However, as this is Thailand, there will be no enforcement.

PTP demands elections!

tongue.png

The red shirts that clashed with the PDRC in Pathum Thani had earlier complained to a couple of newspapers about their news coverage, and "demanded that they support the election".

Considering that the PTP won 48% of the vote in the last election, and the Dems 35%, you may be right if absolutely everybody who did not vote for PTP does not want this election, but let's face it that's not very likely is it? What most people want is not determined by what you would like to be true, and it is equally not determined by large crowds of people on the streets of Bangkok, but by what the MAJORITY of Thai people want (please remember Thaland does not = Bangkok). Whilst that may not be elections on Feb 2nd, most Thai people clearly DO want elections, and DO want democracy, and clearly (35%, remember) most DO NOT want the Dems in power. I'll go out on a limb here and say that probably means most of those think Suthep is a total (insert offensive term of choice here).

Sad for you if you're a Dem fan, but (almost definitely) true. sad.png

Edited by Ozymandias

Do you think anything would have changed if election date would have been moved? Looking at Suthep requests, nothing would have changed imho.

You couldn't be more wrong. If the elections were scheduled for May 2014 or later the amnesty bill would be definitely killed off. Democrats would not have boycotted the elections and all other moderates who support Suthep at the moment would not have any single reason to continue supporting him. They know that the amnesty bill is not dead and buried. It takes 180 days. It is obvious that the puppet PM and her government were dishonest about their intentions hence continual political crisis.

Wait wait: so what you are saying is not only a postpone of election date, but also imply YS to step down from he caretaker role. That changes everything. But I would not expect that to happen.

This is very unthai.

1. The Constitution allows subsequent elections or in this country, are now, no riots?

3. The elections on February 4. would not be valid. It can not come to an opening of parliament.

4. Why should again have access to state funds exactly the same corrupt and/or convicted criminals politicians. It would however be further unrest.

5. Better to give the CC, the NACC, the EC and the courts time to complete the process clean.

6. A good caretaker government would try now to integrate other institutions for reforms in to the process.

7. The whole street protests would still lose weight and lose meaning when both sides were really interested in a peaceful and good solution for the good of the country.

9. Give the courts the time to eliminate these figures finally forever from the field. This would really help this country.

The EC are obligated to hold the elections on Feb 2, and continue bi-elections until they have at least 475 elected MP's. It may take a long time and there are court decisions which may ban some of those elected, causing more bi-elections, but that is how it goes. Moreover, we will have an Acting government during this time that cannot initiate new programs, which could end up damaging the country.

If this continues for a long time, we could see some thinking maybe democracy isn't for us.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is very unthai.

The EC are obligated to hold the elections on Feb 2, and continue bi-elections until they have at least 475 elected MP's. It may take a long time and there are court decisions which may ban some of those elected, causing more bi-elections, but that is how it goes. Moreover, we will have an Acting government during this time that cannot initiate new programs, which could end up damaging the country.

If this continues for a long time, we could see some thinking maybe democracy isn't for us.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am not sure for this constitution but on the previous the acting caretaker government expires. I recall when Thaksin was caretaker PM and it expires and he just didn't care.

They can hold elections. I am guessing that "None of the above" will win. Not that there will be any "above" anyway.

But, having said that, I wonder what happens with the party list votes if there are no constituency candidates to vote for?

Remember the GT 200? Bought by a non corrupt government, including Suthep?

Maybe these GT 200 can point out the next members of parlement?

You couldn't be more wrong. If the elections were scheduled for May 2014 or later the amnesty bill would be definitely killed off. Democrats would not have boycotted the elections and all other moderates who support Suthep at the moment would not have any single reason to continue supporting him. They know that the amnesty bill is not dead and buried. It takes 180 days. It is obvious that the puppet PM and her government were dishonest about their intentions hence continual political crisis.

Wait wait: so what you are saying is not only a postpone of election date, but also imply YS to step down from he caretaker role. That changes everything. But I would not expect that to happen.

I don't think she need to step down, she can only hold the caretaker position for 60 days, if there are no elections she will not be PM anymore on the 61th day.