Can Anyone Identify This Guy

He was maybe 4" across, GF said don't touch him and went into hysterics saying it was a dangerous one.

I have searched google but can't find anything much about spiders in Thailand.

I suspect Lampard10 is closest so far to identyfying him. :o

How about one of these. Close relatives of the one I pictured in post #2.

Thailand Huntsman Spiders

post-18822-1148006234_thumb.jpgpost-18822-1148006510_thumb.jpg

That's him! The one on the right, any detail about him at all?

I don't like spiders or insects for that matter. We had a large Huntsman that took residence in the house. Apparently they are quite territorial and if you see one it is not likely that you will see another. My wife told me that he could give you a nasty bite but it was not likely because he is VERY shy. If he were on the floor somewhere he had a habit of jumping straight up in the air and getting out of sight as quickly as possible. One day a Took Gae got in the house. The next day I saw the spider had a front leg missing and the next day I didn't see him and have not seen him since. My wife finally got the Took Gae cornered under the microwave. I lifted the microwave up and she grabbed the lizard bare handed and threw him outside. I have heard that the lizard can give a nasty bite too but she told me that she knew what she was doing. She must have known because it looked like a good grab and she DIDN'T get bit. She told me that the Took Gae "kee mak mak". (Big turds). :o

We had one living under the fridge. Biggest thing I have seen. I was not very impressed and pulled out the bug spray. Did the job no more spider man!.Now next will be the ants,cockroaches,Mozzies,Termites,JIng jokes,flys,snakes,dog and next doors 9 cats(kidding) kinda :o

• 1 month later...

well ... one of them just visted my house in Phuket ... WOW! that sucker is FAST!

I'll try and herd him outside if I see him again ... but wow!

Edited by jdinasia

I've had quite a few of them--always 1 at a time. I usually wait for them to get into the kitchen, open the door and chase them out. They are usually on the wall, but I can heard them along until they get outside.

no more spider man!.Now next will be the ants,cockroaches,Mozzies,Termites,JIng jokes,flys,snakes,dog and next doors 9 cats(kidding) kinda :o

If you hadn't murdered it the spider would have taken care of many of the other beasties living in your house. It's a good thing!!

If you really can't stand living with them just get them on a broom and put them outside. At about 1/100,000 of your size they're not going to eat you.

Edited by Old Croc

Have a look at this link also

huntsman

is definitely a thai huntsman , pretty prolific in the north east, can give you quite a nasty nip, its poison can be deadly to children, bite wounds can take months to heal, very resistant to anti biotics as I found out personally a few years back, my advices quash it :o Nignoy

i noticed that spiders here in thailand seem to be a lot quicker than in europe & some seem to be able to jump.

why is this?

i know,i need to get out more.

i was surprised to see a spider which was the size & shape of a tarantula in the road a couple of months back,i gently poked it with a stick & it reared on its back legs & actually hissed.

very impressed,i was a bit gutted when it got run over as i sat in the bar.

no more spider man!.Now next will be the ants,cockroaches,Mozzies,Termites,JIng jokes,flys,snakes,dog and next doors 9 cats(kidding) kinda :D

If you hadn't murdered it the spider would have taken care of many of the other beasties living in your house. It's a good thing!!

If you really can't stand living with them just get them on a broom and put them outside. At about 1/100,000 of your size they're not going to eat you.

I tried getting mine out of the house for 2 days .... kept getting back into the bedroom .... oh well :o

I leave spiders alone, I was in the bathroom once and a big spider jumped out and ate a cockroach right in front of me. Anything that eats cockroaches can stay!

Sorry, but I have to draw the line on 'anything'. Chickens love to eat cockroaches, but having them inside the house is just way too messy and smelly. Don't know if snakes eat cockroaches or not, but again would not want the poisonous variety in my house. For me, non-poisonous spiders and geckos would be more than welcome if I had a cockroach problem..

I leave spiders alone, I was in the bathroom once and a big spider jumped out and ate a cockroach right in front of me. Anything that eats cockroaches can stay!

Sorry, but I have to draw the line on 'anything'. Chickens love to eat cockroaches, but having them inside the house is just way too messy and smelly. Don't know if snakes eat cockroaches or not, but again would not want the poisonous variety in my house. For me, non-poisonous spiders and geckos would be more than welcome if I had a cockroach problem..

OK, OK, exaggeration, you got me :D

But, I won't kill a large non-poisonous spider just because it happens to be a spider. Especially when it eats cockroaches

(is that better? :o )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

aaah yesterday I was in a red bus here in bkk, saw a big black spider in te glass, I cant stand them! I was stressed all the time... and when I forgot bout him... OMG one like the first picture big like my hand was on my leg!!! :'( I jumped and it ran away really fast but omg what the hel_l was he doing in my leg!!! :'(

I was going to ask if that inlcudes the wife... but I'd probably get banned, so I won't :o

• 2 weeks later...