Backup Generator Help Plz!

Sakeopete

Hi All,

I was reading a post by Ned from 2004 about backup generators, I'm looking to get one in the future but haven't been able to source shops that sell them in or around Bangkok.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Kop Khun Mak Krap :o

Cheers

Peter

Hi All,

I was reading a post by Ned from 2004 about backup generators, I'm looking to get one in the future but haven't been able to source shops that sell them in or around Bangkok.

Cheers

Peter

Small ones available in hardware shops in and around BKK, how many HP or Kw?

I must assume this is for use outside of the Bangkok area or large commercial type as I do not recall any power outage in the last 30 years that a generator would have been required for normal home use. Power in Bangkok is one thing that works.

I live waaay out in the sticks about 50 km from Khampaeng Phet and i have power 99% of the time.

It usually goes down in a stormand is back up again in less than a couple of hours. We use candles and torches and have no problems with that at all.

The longest outage we have had was about 16 hours when the transformer blew out and since then no problems.

I have a sort of theory that if you are the only place around with electricity from your generator there is a possibility that you will be seen as very rich and you may possibly get a visit from people who would like to share your weath. But that is only a theory.

If the power goes out at night treat it as a romantic evening with the wife and family. It doesn't last forever.

I am working in Bangladesh at the moment and we get power outages 10 or 15 times a day and all of the businesses have back up generators, the same was true in Pakistan last year.

Homepro does sell them.

I bought one ( a small) last year.

There is a thread about this with all technical info.

I need(?) it to have my pump working (toilets and shower),and a fan

It is a luxery,can still use the traditional bucket of water

Edited by dutch

I live in the country near Aranyaphrathet and we get regular outages, our power goes off every ten minutes during storms and sometimes lasts hours. I'm building a house at our farm and it would give me a piece of mind knowing we would have lights during the night.

Hi All,

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Kop Khun Mak Krap :D

Cheers

Peter

Hi

Out of interest, can someone tell me how the power generated by the unit is fed back into the electrical circuit system.

Do you just plug it into the system as you would any other appliance i.e. via 2 pin plug?

Thanks

TBWG :o

Iโ€™ve used them with an extension lead fitted with a multi socket power block plugged into the generator. The output on some generators can vary a bit as well. Some sensitive appliances don't handle the fluctuations well.

One suggestion if you are buying a generator is to try and obtain extra plugs to fit into the generator.

I tried to find some plugs for a Honda generator a few months back and was met with a blank stare from the dealer and sent on a wild goose chase to electrical supply shops that may have had them in stock.

Mine is a Honda with a multiple socket (2)

I have 2, 20 mtr cables ending in a 4 socket.

They are waiting,together with an extra drum of petrol, for the worse :o

As` I said it is only for the pump,some fans and a light in the dark.

Edited by dutch

They are waiting,together with an extra drum of petrol, for the worse :D

Hi Dutch :D

Have I got this right? The generator does not feed into the electricity circuit, you plug the appliances directly into the generator?

So any pumps , showers etc that are wired into the circuit can only be used if they are able to be plugged into the generator unit?

If so then the generator is only really practical for running extention lead lights, fans etc. Aircon is out of the question!!

Is all above correct?

Thanks

100%

For an airco you need a much bigger generator than I have ( mine is 4Kva).That's why I mentioned "fans".

All the mentioned devices have a plug.

Again look at the history of this thread/topic.( about 1 year ago)

This was all technically discussed included the number of devices and so on.

We are talking small 1-3KW generators that are designed to powers emergency type things such as water pump or refrigerator and lights. You can obtain larger units as a backup power source but then you would have a transfer switch to control which was feeding your home. Not really necessary here unless you are a hotel/hospital/communications type operation.

We are talking small 1-3KW generators that are designed to powers emergency type things such as water pump or refrigerator and lights. You can obtain larger units as a backup power source but then you would have a transfer switch to control which was feeding your home. Not really necessary here unless you are a hotel/hospital/communications type operation.

Thanks all

Seems I will have to get one for essentials...my beer fridge :o

TBWG :D

They are waiting,together with an extra drum of petrol, for the worse :D

Hi Dutch :D

Have I got this right? The generator does not feed into the electricity circuit, you plug the appliances directly into the generator?

So any pumps , showers etc that are wired into the circuit can only be used if they are able to be plugged into the generator unit?

If so then the generator is only really practical for running extention lead lights, fans etc. Aircon is out of the question!!

Is all above correct?

Thanks

It's a piece of cake for a competent electrician to set you up with an automatic switch over for your essential services (fridge, some lights, fans, telly etc). If you have a genset with a load sensing starter all you'll notice is the lights going out for a few seconds whilst it starts up, otherwise you have to go and start it by hand. You'll still need a UPS for the PC of course.

I can drop details onto the website (see the pinned 'domestic wiring' thread at the top of this forum) if there is sufficient interest.

I don't think it has been stressed enough to NOT plug your generator into your house circuits UNLESS you have safely disconnected from the main power. Without disconnecting from the main you may electrocute some guy who is working down the road on the main power supply. Automatic switches are the best BUT they are expensive. The safest way is to make some extension cords and run what you want to run by plugging them directly into your extension cord.

A good rule of thumb is to figure about 500 watts per horsepower. This gives a decent safety factor if you run the generator to full capacity. If you buy a 10 horsepower unit you can expect about 5,000 watts from it. The most common units in this area are the six horsepower Hondas that put out 3,000 watts.

What diesel genny would you need to run 2 aircons, microwave, fridge, washing machine, TV, stereo and a pc with printer, scanner etc., in a remote area without leccy? :o

I don't think it has been stressed enough to NOT plug your generator into your house circuits UNLESS you have safely disconnected from the main power. Without disconnecting from the main you may electrocute some guy who is working down the road on the main power supply. Automatic switches are the best BUT they are expensive. The safest way is to make some extension cords and run what you want to run by plugging them directly into your extension cord.

ABSOLUTELY, besides you don't want to be powering the neighbours :o

A simple automatic switch should cost a few thousand Baht as it only consists of a 3 or 4 pole contactor and some wiring.

However you connect it up it is VITAL that backfeeding the mains is IMPOSSIBLE, this means that at the very least you need a changeover switch.

I'm currently writing a GenSet page for the website which will discuss how to connect SAFELY in detail.

What diesel genny would you need to run 2 aircons, microwave, fridge, washing machine, TV, stereo and a pc with printer, scanner etc., in a remote area without leccy? :o

If you want to power ALL the kit together you're going to need about 10-12 kVA. You could probably get away with 6-8kVA if you're careful what you run together (only 1 aircon at a time). The aircons are the killers.

To size your genset, add up all the ratings of your devices that will run together, multiply by 1.5 and get the next larger genset.

Gensets are sized in Kilo Volt Amps (kVA). To get kVA from Amps (ususally specified on the rating plate of your equipment) multiply by 220. For our purposes kVA and kW (kilowatts) are the same.

BTW, an 8kVA genset is going to use 3-6L of diesel per hour, a 12kVA unit will burn 5-8 L per hour (depending upon load). So your energy cost will be significant.

Could be worth considering solar / wind / water to keep the low power stuff running and only use the genset when you need to run bigger items.

Try a websearch on 'micropower generation'.

Edited by Crossy

Don't believe anyone mentioned connecting generator to house wiring (without a transfer switch that I mentioned). The small generator runs extension lines to items that use the electric. The transfer switch (if manual which is all you need) uses a knife switch that is either generator or electric company to connect to house wiring.

Another thing to consider is noise. Without hospital grade exhaust systems the larger units are going to be very noisy. And as Crossy mentioned rather expensive to run. And they also need service (especially the larger units) and PM/tests to keep them operational. Having used generators of 5-50kw for 30 years I am very happy to live in a place where, IMHO, they are not required. Candles and flashlights work well for the short outages experienced by most of us.

Thanks for everyones advice and comments, however my question still stands "can anyone give me the name of shops that sell the large 7.5kva + diesel genset?"

Larger branches of HomePro carry the Sakari and Honmar Thai made gensets. Up to 10kVA in petrol and 7kVA diesel. They will order units that are not in stock when you visit.

• 3 months later...
Hi All,

Cheers

Peter

I also live out in the sticks. I have a home near Sa Kaeo. I got tied of having my electricity go off every time it rains. I at the very least, want to have a couple of fans and some lights on around the house at night.

I had 2 choices Cheap Chinese gas generator 5000 baht

OR

A really good and dependable Honda gas generator 24,000 baht

Both were about 800 watts, sadly I opted for the cheapo.

Oh! it works just fine ONCE I GET the darned thing started.

Honda_gererator.bmp