Suthep voted Asia's Person of the Year 2013

Lite Beer

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asia Society is a leading educational organization dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships among peoples, leaders and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context.

promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships. Definitely describes the man and his cause, good work.

Definitely the funniest post ive read today cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Voted post of day with just under 6 million undisputed ballot papers.

• Like 1

Asian Society said 116,000 votes but the truth is SIX MILLION votes (verified by Suthep's independent experts).

Are you talking again about Suthep's independent expert ace crackerjack anthropologists or whatever who from helicopters calculated the number of anti-democracy feudalists per square meal in the streets of Bangkok?

You know, the same kind of experts at calculus who reckon how many M&Ms can fit into Wembley Stadium.

SIX MILLION.

cheesy.gif

Check out what the respected Asia Society says about this social website engineered online poll and who Suthep's bogus vote surge defeated for the legitimate award.

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/how-thailands-suthep-thaugsuban-ran-away-our-person-year-poll

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

For a better picture (filtering out the rabid, whistle-blowing noise) read the actual view from Asia Society on this award.

This is well worth a read:

"As it did in 2012, the unusually large number of votes did raise some red flags for us. Are these votes real?"

"His reputation is that of a tough power broker and gamesman who has survived his own corruption charges."

"Think Dick Cheney."

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/how-thailands-suthep-thaugsuban-ran-away-our-person-year-poll

So, the next time whistle blowers think about storming the US Embassy in Bangkok, just because the USA, the United Nations, and 50+ other Democratic nations support the Feb.2 Thai election process going forward, the American-founded Asia Society might have to take away this prestigious award for being such spoil sports.

p.s. John D. Rockefeller 3rd, the founder of Asia Society back in 1956, is probably rolling over in his grave.

Edited by lifeincnx
  • Like 2

Thanks for the explanation - bad enough if this had been just Thailand, but Asia???

However, now it is perfectly clear what happened!:)

Here's the Asia Society's account of what happened in the polling.

As of December 31st Suthep had almost zero votes from the time the polling opened December 20th.

Then in the past closing daze [sic] the poll had 165,000 hits from Thailand (not 6 million).

The runnerup, teenager Malala Yousafzai, who has recovered from a shot to the head by the Taliban, had "close to" 12,000 votes which Asia Society says would be enough to win in any normal voting year. (Suthep got almost 116,000 votes which I believe Asia society says is an unprecedentedly large number of votes beyond the typical number of the annual poll's number of reader-voters.)

The sudden surge of voting this year in the final daze of the open online polling shows what Suthep's still anonymous feudal council and its mob supporters will do to voting and elections polling here in Thailand.

Here's the Asia Society's account of what happened in the polling.

As of December 31st Suthep had almost zero votes from the time the polling opened December 20th.

Then in the past closing daze [sic] the poll had 165,000 hits from Thailand (not 6 million).

The runnerup, teenager Malala Yousafzai, who has recovered from a shot to the head by the Taliban, had "close to" 12,000 votes which Asia Society says would be enough to win in any normal voting year. (Suthep got almost 116,000 votes which I believe Asia society says is an unprecedentedly large number of votes beyond the typical number of the annual poll's number of reader-voters.)

The sudden surge of voting this year in the final daze of the open online polling shows what Suthep's still anonymous feudal council and its mob supporters will do to voting and elections polling here in Thailand.

Thank you !!

ill bet that Kim Jong-un is the winner in 2014

Kim Jong-un actually was on the Asia Society's ballot, yes.

The bouncing baby boy tyrant got 0.18% of the vote (238 votes).

Last year's winner was another who mobilized a closing days social media campaign, the Pakistani fascist Imran Khan.

So Kim has hope yet.

Last year and this year the person in the lead was 16 year-old Malala Yousafzai, a 2013 a Nobel Peace Prize nominee who survived a shot in the head by Taliban terrorists in Pakistan. Twice now she has been pushed aside at the last minute by the crass ambitions of ruthless politicians in their pursuit of power.

• Like 2

Well I recon in 20 years he and the Shin family can set around their designated exercise benches and remember the good old days of power, greed, mass rallies, and broken dreams.They will be permitted a display of awards received (real , imagined, purchased, etc) for one hour each week.

Maybe there is a hillbilly heaven and that will be their reward/karma for their deeds.

Asia Society is a leading educational organization dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships among peoples, leaders and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context.

promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships. Definitely describes the man and his cause, good work.

you are joking or on drugs right didn't some of his boys threaten to march on the us embassy a few weeks ago?

That alone, would get him my vote, lol.

All joking aside, it shows, that enough people like him. They probably announced the upcoming vote on ASTV or Blueskytv and asked people to vote for him, but they still had to vote for him, to achieve great results like that. I'm sure other candidates, probably did the same, with their friends, and/or followers.

Online polls like these can be manipulated by the slightly above average teen hacker and it would not require 116,000 individual votes. I would think when the Asia Society finally track the votes it won't be much of a surprise that all of them come via just a few IP addresses.

But then I am just an old cynic!

For a better picture (filtering out the rabid, whistle-blowing noise) read the actual view from Asia Society on this award.

This is well worth a read:

"As it did in 2012, the unusually large number of votes did raise some red flags for us. Are these votes real?"

"His reputation is that of a tough power broker and gamesman who has survived his own corruption charges."

"Think Dick Cheney."

So, the next time whistle blowers think about storming the US Embassy in Bangkok, just because the USA, the United Nations, and 50+ other Democratic nations support the Feb.2 Thai election process going forward, the American-founded Asia Society might have to take away this prestigious award for being such spoil sports.

p.s. John D. Rockefeller 3rd, the founder of Asia Society back in 1956, is probably rolling over in his grave.

This episode provides a new dimension of thought for me in all of the chaos.

Think Dick Cheney.

I'd been thinking only of Benito Mussolini.

Vote Mussolini/Cheney/Suthep!

Oh, they don't allow voting or where they do they steal the votes.

Suthep thinks, the feudal council does.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Edited by Publicus

Online balloting is very easy to manipulate. Asia's Person of the Year. Really? In all of Asia...

I am not buying it, renting it, nor leasing it. If I owned it, I would not gift it to my worst enemy....

bah.gif

Sour grapes.

You only sing when you're winning

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To the Asia Society:

Voting is all well and good, but I suggest you implement some REFORMS before conducting a vote. Based on Suthep's speeches, he would agree with me.

My condolences to Malala (for being shot in the face, not for "losing" this ballot).

T

Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 1