Pizza Company - Delivery Charge

Yaaklenmai

Does anyone know if this is given to the person delivering the pizza, or if it is just an additional charge that the company collects?

My reason for asking is that, if a s/c was added to a bill in the UK, I would then not "tip" on top of that, unless the staff had done something exceptional.

I don't, though, wish to be regarded as a "cheap skate" if the delivery drivers are not receiving the 40THB added to the basic pizza cost.

all that fabulous Thai food and you are eating sh.t , your choice your money i supposes.

again comparing Thailand with the UK ,

Each to their own I guess, I'd prefer to eat a steaming pile of dog excrement than most thai food.

to the OP, I believe the delivery charge is used to pay the delivery person.

as i have said total agree with you there money there choice. and if you like dog poo up to you.

• Like 2

Thongkorn, on 11 Jan 2014 - 18:50, said:Thongkorn, on 11 Jan 2014 - 18:50, said:

all that fabulous Thai food and you are eating sh.t , your choice your money i supposes.

Hmmmmm......specially when they staff it with chilly peppers and you need the fire brigade to put the fire out!

Doesn't matter if you tell them Mai pet....just ignore you.

Again.....I live in Isaan.......may be it's different in the "elite" parts of Thailand!

Edited by Costas2008

Each to their own I guess, I'd prefer to eat a steaming pile of dog excrement than most thai food.

Many thanks, that is what I was hoping to establish.

Hmmmmm......specially when they staff it with chilly peppers and you need the fire brigade to put the fire out!

Doesn't matter if you tell them Mai pet....just ignore you.

Again.....I live in Isaan.......may be it's different in the "elite" parts of Thailand!

I love chilli heat and have, already, prepared my personal topping which comprises of fresh tomatoes and many chopped red chillies cooked (slowly) in olive oil to liven up a Super De Lux.

Normally, I cook my own food and don't order in but today I've been very busy and can't be bothered to do that - hence the question!

what is the difference if the delivery guy receives the delivery charge, but less salary or if he get a bit more salary and no delivery charge.

PC will pay in a way that the good delivery won't leave the company but not more than necessary, how they do it doesn't make a difference for the delivery guy.

(or it only looks good if he get the 40 Baht, but at the end the company saves the money somewhere else on him).

Life is hard enough for some of these guys. I usually give them an extra twenty and whatever loose coins are left over. But I only order a pizza once every four or five months. I'm pretty sure they're not going to get much extra from the rest of their deliveries.

Not sure about thailand but USA delivery charge does not go directly to the driver.

Pizza hut: $2.50 delivery charged per customer.

Driver gets .89 cents if they take one.

Driver gets 1.39 if they take 2 deliveries.

Driver gets 1.39 if they take 3 or more.

Or manager would make us take 4 at a time charging the customer 10 dollars and only giving us 1.39.

It is a scam and a driver destroys there vehicle and delivery charge never paid for gas completely.

This pizza hut was owned by NPC and I believe drivers have tried suing them. I think they won in 2011.

Always tip the driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not sure about thailand but USA delivery charge does not go directly to the driver. Pizza hut: $2.50 delivery charged per customer. Driver gets .89 cents if they take one. Driver gets 1.39 if they take 2 deliveries. Driver gets 1.39 if they take 3 or more. Or manager would make us take 4 at a time charging the customer 10 dollars and only giving us 1.39. It is a scam and a driver destroys there vehicle and delivery charge never paid for gas completely. This pizza hut was owned by NPC and I believe drivers have tried suing them. I think they won in 2011. Always tip the driver. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

but that is how it works in the USA . . .

don't ever expect that Thai work force is paid extra.

This society is built on "low cost" and maintains so . . .

I am earnestly in doubt that the delivery motosai man gets any share of the "delivery charge"

he is more easily ripped off his modest earnings after two people complain by phone that he was

30 seconds late the promised delivery time.

Am I too pessimistic ?

Not sure about thailand but USA delivery charge does not go directly to the driver. Pizza hut: $2.50 delivery charged per customer. Driver gets .89 cents if they take one. Driver gets 1.39 if they take 2 deliveries. Driver gets 1.39 if they take 3 or more. Or manager would make us take 4 at a time charging the customer 10 dollars and only giving us 1.39. It is a scam and a driver destroys there vehicle and delivery charge never paid for gas completely. This pizza hut was owned by NPC and I believe drivers have tried suing them. I think they won in 2011. Always tip the driver. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

but that is how it works in the USA . . .

don't ever expect that Thai work force is paid extra.

This society is built on "low cost" and maintains so . . .

I am earnestly in doubt that the delivery motosai man gets any share of the "delivery charge"

he is more easily ripped off his modest earnings after two people complain by phone that he was

30 seconds late the promised delivery time.

Am I too pessimistic ?

The delivery driver will obviously be paid a wage - whether it comes out of the delivery charge, the price of the pizza, or some combination of the two doesn't make any difference.

I disagree but only way to know for sure is to have a thai delivery driver share his thoughts about tipping. The culture has tipping in it so not sure how an above average tip would not be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Asking them is guaranteed to get only one answer.

What was the question again?

The only tipping that is part of the real (non-foreigner-industry) culture is spar change, not bothering to take back the little change. Except for wealthy people in fancy places trying to show off for face maybe.

This thinking gets right up my jacksy. You do realise that most of that 'fabulous' Thai food is loaded up with MSG and sugars to make it taste that way, right? A lot of the stuff on the street is pure crud and cannot be sold without it. And just what is wrong with enjoying a pizza or any other type of food here? AFAIK it doesn't stipulate in the Thai constitution that all visitors must eat Thai food only. I also don't see where they were comparing Thai to UK; they were asking for advice on tipping/delivery charge, pure and simple. There is no argument here.

Op, it is very likely delivery charge is not going to driver. If he had 5 pizzas with him, for argument's sake, that'd be 200 baht for a short amount of work. Suggestion: tip something like 20-40 baht whether one pizza or a huge meal for four. wink.png

By the by, the dude tipping like 5 bucks for a pizza, you are not in Kansas now, friend. If you are not belittling them you are getting laughed at, trust me on that. Percentage tipping belongs Stateside, not here.

• Like 1

Pizza company is pretty close to a "Steaming pile of dog excrement" - so good on ya!

• Like 2

Pizza company is pretty close to a "Steaming pile of dog excrement" - so good on ya!

Sadly I have to agree with you so that why I make my own...

HMMMMMMMMM all ingredients are sourced in Thailand so I guess that makes mine Thai Pizza's....... go figure.

Does the FedEx driver get to keep the delivery charge? Yes, but only part it.

Pizza Co. has to pay to deliver the pizza to you, and if it is late, they have to (in theory) give you the pizza free if it is late. Why would (or should) the driver get to keep all the money?

I generally tip pizza drivers, taxi drivers, wait and bell staff and housekeeping, but I don't go crazy, and I don't tip for crappy service.

I don't care if other people do or not, as I generally don't care what level of service others get.

This is the very reason tipping should be banned.

Rather, service charges should be banned, not tipping. In many cases, restaurants keep the service charges, which is bizarre since the elevated price of restaurant food (compared to the cost of making yourself) already includes the various labour costs involved. So these restaurants have basically usurped the money that used to go to lowly-paid service staff....

This is the original question as posed by the OP:

Does anyone know if this is given to the person delivering the pizza, or if it is just an additional charge that the company collects?

Anything not answering that question is off topic and will be removed. Any more trolling will result in a holiday.

Firstly, I agree with what some are saying about percentage tipping in Thailand. Tipping 150b to a pizza delivery driver is just... nuts!! Over the years I have watched the delivery charge go from 20b (already pushing it coz it should be free really especially considering how overpriced pizzas are to start with compared with other food in Thailand), to 30b (starting to get silly), and now recently it has increased to 40b which is quite franky ridiculous.

Anyone who compares prices or tipping to the US or any other western culture is missing the point. Thailand is not a tipping culture, and people who over tip are not repsected by Thai people, in fact as others have stated, it just makes us look like mugs. And when people start to *expect tips* without increasing the level of service accordingly, and the tippees start jointly deciding amongst themselves what constitutes and *acceptable or mandatory* tip then we find ourselves in a situation like the USA is in now. A very slippery slope. Mr "Not in Kansas Anymore" please stop it because ultimately you're just urinating in the water supply.

Returning to topic, I order 1112, 1150, 1711 etc WAY less now than before thanks to the ridiculous charges, which helps my wallet and my health no doubt. However when I do, I do always tip the driver but the amount is less now on average due to the new charges. And usually it is whatever coins are left in relation to the bill, and certainly never more than 20!

• Like 1

Tipping the delivery driver will make his day. He will tell everyone in the store, and come home tell his wife about his awesome day. I tip in the usa $5 in good weather and $6-10 if the weather is bad. I cannot see myself ever tipping less even if in thailand. So minimum 150 bahts.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I do tip and I am happy to make someone happy. But timing 150 thb is ridiculously high. That is spoiling the market and in my view over tipping is not a sign of respect. It's showing off and showing power... I think we have enough of that in Thailand. TIP: Tip 40-60 baht to the delivery Guy will make you look nice, and not like ignorant "farang".