Anyone any ideas on working online from Thailand?

Hi all, Been Teaching English in Thailand for the past two years, not by choice but necessity long story, but the school am teaching in now, wants me to act like a clown in class, by singing, dancing like a fool and just acting stupid really, so the kids have fun laughing at me??? My previous school was International so was better, Its degrading teaching this way all for a mere 30000 baht lol .. I don't understand how my colleges are so happy in these teaching roles? Can someone explain? Anyway, any help regarding working from home online etc, would be appreciated, I have studied I.T before in my country so I am a bit of a wiz kid if that helps....

• Like 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother and his wife (now divorced) use to work from Thailand and had an online editing business mainly editing Phd thesis papers for uni students.They were based in Australia but would stay in los 6 months of the year and as long as their hotel had wifi, that was it. Business was good! Enough to earn them both a good wage and own a nice house in Australia. She still does it, I can't stand her so happy to pass this info on.

• Like 2

My brother and his wife (now divorced) use to work from Thailand and had an online editing business mainly editing Phd thesis papers for uni students.They were based in Australia but would stay in los 6 months of the year and as long as their hotel had wifi, that was it. Business was good! Enough to earn them both a good wage and own a nice house in Australia. She still does it, I can't stand her so happy to pass this info on.

Cheers Krisb... I'll look into it.. am open to all ideas...

"Hi all, Been Teaching English in Thailand for the past two years, not by choice but necessity long story, but the school am teaching in now, wants me to act like a clown in class, by singing, dancing like a fool and just acting stupid really, so the kids have fun laughing at me??? "

Is this about your students or you?

but the school am teaching in now, wants me to act like a clown in class, by singing, dancing like a fool and just acting stupid really

Assuming that your students are KG (Anuban) or Lower Prathom, then singing eg alphabet songs with the kids and dancing can play an important role in helping these youngsters to improve their English. It is not about you acting like a fool - you need to have the confidence and be extraverted to allow you to 'immerse' yourself in a happy and learning class. Perhaps teaching the youngest students is not your forte (no accents on my computer...)

That being said, if your students are older, then I wonder what your boss is thinking....

Don't think that working online is the answer to your problems. A million people have gone before you and the vast majority have failed.

Can you not get a teaching role for older students or adults? I really think that a realistic answer to happiness in your job is to continue to teach (which you say was enjoyable in your previous job).

Simon

Simon that is true, I was thinking that older students would be more suited for me to Teach as the previous school where I taught were nearly Fluent in English with a lot of students from Singapore and china etc,and they were primary students, I am teaching Primary 0ne to Matthayom One, But even with the older students, as there level of English is not great, the school and company want's me

to entertain them by song and dance? at the start they said I was a boring teacher lol and I needed to sing and dance more even with the older kids

For Example Primary 2 students are studying from the k3 books and so on with the rest of the classes... Even if I could try working online part-time and teach that would be my goal to start off, but I hear what your saying about millions have tried and failed online, but I wonder do any of the TV member know of any tried and tested online jobs that have allow them to work from home as the internet is full of these online jobs that promise success lol

OP, I've been in quite a few classrooms like you describe. I think it is important to stay animated in the sense of moving around, show and tell, etc. to help keep the kids' attention, but I have never seen what you are describing to an extreme.

Maybe you just need to move to another school? Ask to see some classes in action.

• Like 2

Lots of schools for primary-age children want a lot of singing/dancing and games in the classroom, perfectly valid pedagogical techniques based on same, particularly effective for Thais.

But takes a certain type of teacher to pull it off.

Unless you've got a solid nestegg you can afford to pull down I strongly advise you to keep your job while you're developing alternatives.

While you're at it, try re-framing it as a challenge, find out how to get good at doing what they're asking, be a great teacher in that style. Maybe you won't succeed, or maybe you will and don't actually enjoy working that way, but at least you'll have given it a good shot, developed your skillset for future reference if/when you're in a similar position but can't afford to say know.

And in the meantime your income keeps coming in while developing your exit strategy, you can leave with your head held high, and maybe just maybe you'll find you really enjoy working that way.

Certainly better than B&Ming imagining those cruel Thai overlords are just trying to humiliate you. . .

PS Get your written Thai language skills up there good enough and you can make a decent living doing Thai-->English translation work, 99% of the time working from home - NOT talking about "editing" the output of xxx-->English translators, that pays peanuts.

• Like 1

Lots of schools for primary-age children want a lot of singing/dancing and games in the classroom, perfectly valid pedagogical techniques based on same, particularly effective for Thais.

But takes a certain type of teacher to pull it off.

Unless you've got a solid nestegg you can afford to pull down I strongly advise you to keep your job while you're developing alternatives.

While you're at it, try re-framing it as a challenge, find out how to get good at doing what they're asking, be a great teacher in that style. Maybe you won't succeed, or maybe you will and don't actually enjoy working that way, but at least you'll have given it a good shot, developed your skillset for future reference if/when you're in a similar position but can't afford to say know.

And in the meantime your income keeps coming in while developing your exit strategy, you can leave with your head held high, and maybe just maybe you'll find you really enjoy working that way.

Certainly better than B&Ming imagining those cruel Thai overlords are just trying to humiliate you. . .

PS Get your written Thai language skills up there good enough and you can make a decent living doing Thai-->English translation work, 99% of the time working from home - NOT talking about "editing" the output of xxx-->English translators, that pays peanuts.

Good advise and valuable Knowledge wym... thanks..

You could also investigate the opportunities to teach English on-line. I see many of these adverts, but I am not sure if they are actually a realistic way to earn extra moiney after your day job as an in-class teacher.

• Like 2

Note that the online "editing" of college papers, theses etc are often (usually?) actually more like writing them for the student, sketchy ethical issue if not outright academic fraud.

I wouldn't want to make my living that way myself.

• Like 1

Singing and dancing help to engage younger students by having fun and is particularly crucial when teaching Thai kids. I would suggest holding onto your job for now and exploring other opportunities. I teach adults online on a part time basis.Its interesting.It pays ok too especially if your in Thailand. I work on a website called www.italki.com Check it out.There's hundreds of teachers. When you start off it hard to find students but be patient and it will be a success...

• Like 1

"Hi all, Been Teaching English in Thailand for the past two years, not by choice but necessity long story, but the school am teaching in now, wants me to act like a clown in class, by singing, dancing like a fool and just acting stupid really, so the kids have fun laughing at me??? "

Is this about your students or you?

It's about him of course. I was an Englsh teacher for 13 years and probably 5 of those years was as a 'dancing white monkey', where the students have absolutely no respect for the monkey. Try working in the Thai educational system and you'll experience that one has to look after oneself.

There are many opportunities to escape this dead-end vocation. I started a business called write-it-right - translation and editing which had possibilities but was not for me.

Find something that uses your talents. I studied Pure Maths at university so bought a lot of poker books and learned how to play. Online poker is legal in Thailand and actually Thailand is the no. 6 country in the world at poker winnings, due to all the professionals that live here, especially after "Black Friday" when the USA banned it. I did this full time for a while and earned at least twice what I got for teaching, and in my own time in my underpants(sometimes).

Teaching is for youngsters who are doing it to fill some time. Very rare to find someone who has done it for 10 years and still loves it. Also, no job for anyone with family commitments like I have - kids in private school etc.

AS someone else suggested, learn to speak/read/write Thai as it really increases your earning power and opportunities here, of course.

I have a couple of friends who do the online dating stuff, getting half the sinsod when they match a pair.

Excellent career advice.Give up a reputable career like teaching and start gambling!! Or get involved in online dating sites...maybe he could start being a drug mule too.Heard there's good money in that!!!

think out of the box. How about teaching ENGLISH to mules................lol

Singing and dancing help to engage younger students by having fun and is particularly crucial when teaching Thai kids. I would suggest holding onto your job for now and exploring other opportunities. I teach adults online on a part time basis.Its interesting.It pays ok too especially if your in Thailand. I work on a website called www.italki.com Check it out.There's hundreds of teachers. When you start off it hard to find students but be patient and it will be a success...

how would one go about getting this on line work put on your work permit if one is resident in Thailand ?

You could always try article writing, check out Craigslist and elance for more info.

It can be done from anywhere in the world and can make you a nice wage if you are good enough smile.png

he could write articles on IT seeing as he says he is a Whizz at it,,,rolleyes.gif

It's about him of course. I was an Englsh teacher for 13 years and probably 5 of those years was as a 'dancing white monkey', where the students have absolutely no respect for the monkey. Try working in the Thai educational system and you'll experience that one has to look after oneself.

Does it seem that the students respect farang teachers less than their Thai counterparts? Why do you think this is, xenophobia?

Im selling thailandairsoft website if thats any use to you.

Ive been working online for years now...

The Airsoft site provided for my family and is putting my 2 kids through school in Thailand.

I have now moved over to something more luctrative (Bitcoin) and currently run mentaso website and will soon be creating the worlds most secure online Bitcoin wallet.

So my airsoft site is for sale... all you need is half decent hosting (avoid your mates advice on what a cracking deal he got on 100 years hosting for only 3 dollars -sic- )

You get all my wholesalers and can either stock items or simply order per demand....

I use Kasikorn or PayPal for payments and have had zero issues.. (screw around with customers and you will have issues)

Plus its also the number 1 airsoft site in Thailand (I do good SEO as well)

Hope that helps... wai2.gif

• Like 2