buy car with red plates

Back Sida

Hello,

need help to understand the process how to buy a car from private that is on red number plates.

One problem is that the dealer ship where the car is from is 1000 km away from the location of the car.

How will be the process and can be checked that the dealer will now register the car in the new owners name and

that the insurance will be transferred ect...

Is a private sales contract enough to do all paper-works by my self or do I need additional paper work from original private owner

or do he need to be present and / or sign papers to the registration department?

How can be checked the car is not on finance?

Thanks and regards

AFSIK the red tags belong to the dealer, not the owner. They are "lent' to the buyer as a temporary tag until the buyer receives his permanent tags from DMV and must be returned to the dealer.

Insurance is not transferable and you need to purchase insurance in your own name!

Insurance is not transferable and you need to purchase insurance in your own name!

Hello,

how do I have to understand this?

Do the now owner need to cancel it and get his money back and I have to do a new insurance?

I read this all the time in the classifieds: ¨car is insured until...¨

and this what the now owner told me.

Hello,

Do the now owner need to cancel it and get his money back and I have to do a new insurance?

That is because common practise is that the insurance is transfered to the new owner.

• Like 1

Hello,

That is because common practise is that the insurance is transferred to the new owner.

Excuse me please, but now I´m confused.

Is the insurance the car have now transferable to me or not.

Or belong the insurrance to the car not the owner.

Can someone please explain how this works?

Thanks

Hello,

That is because common practise is that the insurance is transferred to the new owner.

Excuse me please, but now I´m confused.

Is the insurance the car have now transferable to me or not.

Or belong the insurrance to the car not the owner.

Can someone please explain how this works?

Thanks

Wayned confused you with an incorrect comment. The insurance will normally go with the car.

Wayned confused you with an incorrect comment. The insurance will normally go with the car.

OK, thank you.

So now, how about a car owner transfer that have red plates and no blue book (I guess, as I understand blue book comes when registration is done?).

Do someone know how this process can be done or did someone something like this already and can explain, please?

Car is in Phuket

Car is purchased in Phechaburi

I live in Rayong

A small thought to consider before you buy the car.

Does the seller actually own the car or is it on finance?

If it is on finance that would be a whole new problem as you would have to deal with the finance company as well and they will be the true owners of the vehicle until it is completely paid for and they will hold the genuine blue book.

If the deal looks too good to be true it may well be a little risky.

• Like 2

A small thought to consider before you buy the car.

Does the seller actually own the car or is it on finance?

If it is on finance that would be a whole new problem as you would have to deal with the finance company as well and they will be the true owners of the vehicle until it is completely paid for and they will hold the genuine blue book.

If the deal looks too good to be true it may well be a little risky.

Hello and thanks for all the reply’s and tips.

As I understand the car is not on finance, but that was was of my OP questions: How I can check that the car is not on finance?

Only the wort or the owner or are there some documents that prove it, receipt of the Car-Dealer ....?

The deal do not look´s too good to be true. Moreover the car is not availeble all over Thailand and he have one and make a bit of money on it when he sell it.

I found this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557601-how-to-transfer-ownership-by-proxy-tell-me-please/

There is a little bit of explanation except the problem(?) with the red plate.

How old is the car? After 1 month it should be on white plates.

So if older than 1 month, have the seller go to the dealer and demand the white plates and blue book. Probably easiest to issue the book in the seller's name, but you may even be able to do this directly in your name.

My guess is,that everybody else is guessing here as well...this is a situation,that is quite new and your best bet will be to try to contact the dealer and get your answers from him.

If the car was paid of in cash,it should be doable to transfer the ownership for you...the insurance,hmm,it was probably the free insurance offer with the purchase,so who knows...logic says it should be transferred to you,but...TIT.smile.png

Did you check if the red plate is genuine? It has to be accompanied with a brown book. When I purchased my car a few month back I have received it together with the red plates and had to pay a deposit. Otherwise it might be a fake. Happened when last year too many cars where registered. In that case you have insurance and the blue book but not paid any tax to the government. Would let the current owner sort this out first before you purchase the car.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So if older than 1 month, have the seller go to the dealer and demand the white plates and blue book. Probably easiest to issue the book in the seller's name, but you may even be able to do this directly in your name.

I can tell you that in Phuket, it takes about 3 months for the white plates. Maybe they have improved since I purchased a car?

I can tell you that in Phuket, it takes about 3 months for the white plates. Maybe they have improved since I purchased a car?

Depends. If you push the dealer it will go faster. The main reason it takes 3 months is that the dealer sits on the money to postpone paying the tax. Dlt can do it in a month, they are not the problem.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My guess is,that everybody else is guessing here as well...this is a situation,that is quite new and your best bet will be to try to contact the dealer and get your answers from him.

If the car was paid of in cash,it should be doable to transfer the ownership for you...the insurance,hmm,it was probably the free insurance offer with the purchase,so who knows...logic says it should be transferred to you,but...TIT.smile.png

OK,

situation is as following:

Car is/was on finance but is/will be paid of until my arrival in Phuket.

(How to check if it is paid of? Call the finance company? Have a receipt for the pay off?)

Car has red plate´s and a (brown) book to write the trip´s in.

Blue Book will be send from finance company to owner.

(How long? a week or more?)

Owner will send blue book to me. And gave me all necessary paperwork to do the car transfer to my name

in BKK (registering is ongoing in BKK) in his absence.

The car is insured no need to do a transfer to my name (???)

I really like to do the deal and hope all work out.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks and regards

OK,

Car is/was on finance but is/will be paid of until my arrival in Phuket. Go to finance company office and check yourself.

(How to check if it is paid of? Call the finance company? Have a receipt for the pay off?)

Car has red plate´s and a (brown) book to write the trip´s in. Technically you can't drive the car out of province on red plate.

Blue Book will be send from finance company to owner. ???

Owner will send blue book to me. And gave me all necessary paperwork to do the car transfer to my name

in BKK (registering is ongoing in BKK) in his absence. That's were I have a problem. How do you trust someone you don't really know?

The car is insured no need to do a transfer to my name (???) The car is insured but inform the insurance co the owner has changed.

I really like to do the deal and hope all work out.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks and regards

OK,

Car is/was on finance but is/will be paid of until my arrival in Phuket. Go to finance company office and check yourself.

Car has red plate´s and a (brown) book to write the trip´s in. Technically you can't drive the car out of province on red plate.

Blue Book will be send from finance company to owner. ???

in BKK (registering is ongoing in BKK) in his absence. That's were I have a problem. How do you trust someone you don't really know?

Hello and thanks for the reply.

If I can (I don´t know jet where the office is) otherwise will call the finance agency.

The car has a brown book. As I understand you have to write in the trip you do and can not drive from 6pm to 6am

I guess sometimes you need to trust a little bit. Not all Farangs are here to do some monkey business, I hear and hope that there are also some honest guys out there :)

If I have a buyer contract, all paperwork to transfer the car, a bank receipt that I transferred money to the owners bank account, with the car as payment purpose mentioned and then for what reason ever I would not get the blue book. It should be possible to claim the original blue book as missing and apply for a new one?

And what would the seller would gain form it if he would not send me the book?

It's still unclear to me...does the blue book already exist for this car?Does the owner have it?...if yes,you should have no problems registering it to your name....who is the register owner,farang or Thai?

...but,if the owner(or the dealer) cant show you the blue book,than I would not make any money transfers.....

It's still unclear to me...does the blue book already exist for this car?Does the owner have it?...if yes,you should have no problems registering it to your name....who is the register owner,farang or Thai?

...but,if the owner(or the dealer) cant show you the blue book,than I would not make any money transfers.....

the blue book is in the moment with the finance agency, he had or will today pay the finance off and there will send the blue book to him.

He will then send it to me.

That´s the plan or his suggestion how to do it. As I can´t wait until the blue book is in his hand as I need the car and have not time after this week to go to Phuket.

Owner is Farang with a business in Phuket

Edited by Back Sida

It's still unclear to me...does the blue book already exist for this car?Does the owner have it?...if yes,you should have no problems registering it to your name...o is the register owner,farang or Thai?

the blue book is in the moment with the finance agency, he had or will today pay the finance off and there will send the blue book to him.

That´s the plan or his suggestion how to do it. As I can´t wait until the blue book is in his hand as I need the car and have not time after this week to go to Phuket.

I would say step back and hold your breath and count to 10. If you want a good deal just send me 20,000bt and I will send you a blue book. Do you need a picture of the car also as that's about all you will get. PLEASE just because he's a farang it raises a red flag and he own's a business mean's nothing. If you get burnt please let us know.

• Like 2

It's still unclear to me...does the blue book already exist for this car?Does the owner have it?...if yes,you should have no problems registering it to your name...o is the register owner,farang or Thai?

I would say step back and hold your breath and count to 10. If you want a good deal just send me 20,000bt and I will send you a blue book. Do you need a picture of the car also as that's about all you will get. PLEASE just because he's a farang it raises a red flag and he own's a business mean's nothing. If you get burnt please let us know.

This deal hope is legitimate,but glitches in obtaining the proper paperwork can make the life difficult,so better be careful....

As long as the OP does not make any payments until he has the blue book in his possession what could go wrong?

but it is the opposite because the blue book is still in work from registration office.

once it is ready and in possession of the seller he will send it to me.

If not he have a blue book but no car and I have a car but no blue book

As long as the OP does not make any payments until he has the blue book in his possession what could go wrong?

but it is the opposite because the blue book is still in work from registration office.

once it is ready and in possession of the seller he will send it to me.

If not he have a blue book but no car and I have a car but no blue book

My advice: don't pay before you have the blue book.

• Like 2