work permit

hello,

I'm Travis from the UK living in thailand, I've been asked by a private primary school to teach english, I told them that do not have a work permit, only a Non O marriage visa, they said they could get a work permit for me, they asked if I had a degree or any experience which I told them that I don't, they are still quite interested in me teaching there.

I have read on this forum that I would need a degree to get a work permit, or because this is a private school are they still able to get me a work permit even though I don't have a degree.

Edited by trav111

Do you have a diploma in any subject, you do not need a degree, a diploma is sufficient and in any area of study, it is the native English speaking person they want, that is more important than the educational level in most cases. From a Canadian teacher here.

Do you have a diploma in any subject, you do not need a degree, a diploma is sufficient and in any area of study, it is the native English speaking person they want, that is more important than the educational level in most cases. From a Canadian teacher here.

I have a NVQ level 1(National Vocational Qualification) in Painting and Decorating. I believe this is pretty much the equivalent of a diploma, depending on the training provider or college.

Also how would a work permit affect my current visa, would I need to change my visa to get a work permit?

No need to change your visa if you have a Non Imm O (Thai Wife) and an extension based on the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You need to get some forms from the labour office for both you and the school to fill in to apply for the WP. So yes, go there together with someone from the school and have them explain which documents exactly you will need.

You can apply for the nWP with your current visa entry and extension.

You need to get some forms from the labour office for both you and the school to fill in to apply for the WP. So yes, go there together with someone from the school and have them explain which documents exactly you will need.

Hi Mario do you, or anyone else know where the labour office is in Ubon ratchathani or possibly know a website where I can find the closest one to me. Also what do they call the labour office in thai language.

Hi Mario do you, or anyone else know where the labour office is in Ubon ratchathani or possibly know a website where I can find the closest one to me. Also what do they call the labour office in thai language.

There is an office in Ubon.

See (in Thai): http://wp.doe.go.th

Hello again everyone,

If I was to obtain a work permit, then do I continue to do my Non O marriage visa every year as I have been, at Immigration, providing proof of 400,000 in the bank, or is there an alternative.

Also if I was to go under the 400,000 what then would be my best option, would I be able to obtain an extension in Savannakhet based on my marriage, I hear that you don't need to proof the money there and then still be able to get a work permit.

Hello again everyone,

If I was to obtain a work permit, then do I continue to do my Non O marriage visa every year as I have been, at Immigration, providing proof of 400,000 in the bank, or is there an alternative.

Also if I was to go under the 400,000 what then would be my best option, would I be able to obtain an extension in Savannakhet based on my marriage, I hear that you don't need to proof the money there and then still be able to get a work permit.

If you have a work permit and are earning 40k baht or more you can get your extension by showing tax payments on your income. If not then the 400k baht in the bank is the only option.

You would get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet (not an extension). You would have to leave the country every 90 days,

• Like 1

Hello again everyone,

For extension based on Thai Wife alternatives for finances are 400K in bank OR proof of 40K TB per month income. Use your income tax reports as proof.

Immigration is the only agency that can extend your stay. The Embassy consulate is not immigration, but with proof of marriage you can get a new Non-O visa from them.The Non-O visa is sufficient for a work permit application.

• Like 1

1 post removed.

Yes, depending on the labor office and the exact kind of school they could still get you a work permit.

That's right, if you are working up in the sticks, you can still get a work permit without a degree, I know, I had one, but I think you will probably need to have a TEFL certificate from Thailand in most cases.

The labor department in Ubon is indeed difficult to find. Located at the ring road. Best possible way to explain: Let's say you come from Sisaket, on the 226 heading toward Ubon.

At the main junction, make a left turn and drive always straight on the ring road. ( The road going straight will bring you to Warin Chamrap)

When you see the home mart on the right hand side, right after crossing the bridge, you'll find the labor department on your left. A pink building.

Best of luck!-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies, for useful information.

Do Immigration have anything to do with the work permit application or is just the Labour department, as previously mentioned I already have my Non O extension, so once I go to the work permit and complete the application, I assume we wait for the response and if they approve and issue a work permit is that it for 1 year or are there any following steps to take

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies, for useful information.

Do Immigration have anything to do with the work permit application or is just the Labour department, as previously mentioned I already have my Non O extension, so once I go to the work permit and complete the application, I assume we wait for the response and if they approve and issue a work permit is that it for 1 year or are there any following steps to take

Immigration has nothing to do with a work permits. The work permit will be issued for a year (2 at some offices).

Once you have the work permit you don't have to anything with immigration until your next extension and you would not even have to show them the work permit unless you were using your income from working for the extension.

• Like 1

1 post removed.

Yes, depending on the labor office and the exact kind of school they could still get you a work permit.

Will they have to go to the labour office before applying for the work permit?

The labor department is THE place that issues work permits. Please page me if you'd be interested in a teaching position in Ubon, making more money, plus the possibility of a place on campus, you'd have to share with me.

The biggest place on campus, I've even got a nice carport.

Please be aware that this position will be online tomorrow morning at ajarn. com. Will do what I can. 15 K sucks, believe me.

And I'm sure that I know the "private institution." Some people there only work there a say....

Stay on your Non-O, as this will keep you independent from any school issues. Cheers-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

1 post removed.

Will they have to go to the labour office before applying for the work permit?

The labor department is THE place that issues work permits. Please page me if you'd be interested in a teaching position in Ubon, making more money, plus the possibility of a place on campus, you'd have to share with me.

The biggest place on campus, I've even got a nice carport.

Please be aware that this position will be online tomorrow morning at ajarn. com. Will do what I can. 15 K sucks, believe me.

And I'm sure that I know the "private institution." Some people there only work there a say....

Stay on your Non-O, as this will keep you independent from any school issues. Cheers-wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

Thanks sirchai, I will keep that in mind for the future, but I am quite far from Ubon city about 60km and I have my own house, with 2kids who also go to the school, so regardless of money, its near home and my kids go there so it will be quite convenient. But if things don't work out I will let you know.

Hi all,

I looked around the forums and found a link for the WP1 application form which I have give to the school, they have told me that the forms are all ready and that I should take them myself to the department of labour, I queried whether we should go together, she replied that she thinks there is no need for her to go because the forms have been completed perfectly, all I need to do is give her a passport photo, take my passport and NVQ along with the application.

I feel a little bit concerned about this, just in case they have further inquiries, I could take my wife with me, but It is not really my wife's problem and she probably would not have the answers to any of their questions.

The school should really be involved when application is done. Who is going to pay the fee?

You could go an take your wife along to help with the language if needed. I would be sure and have phone number handy for school admin in case there were questions.

The school should really be involved when application is done. Who is going to pay the fee?

You could go an take your wife along to help with the language if needed. I would be sure and have phone number handy for school admin in case there were questions.

Thanks ubonjoe,

do you know how much the fee is

If I recall correctly it is 100 baht filing fee and then 3000 baht for the work permit.

thanks

Hi ubonjoe, do you or anyone else now whether there are conditions regarding how much time left on your existing visa, the school want me to take the application for the work permit next week, but existing Non O extension finishes at the end of February, would it be better to wait and get my new extension before appling for the work permit or does this have no relevance on the work permit