Anybody leaving Bangkok to avoid the protests?

CMTourist

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen numerous protests over the years. I do not think you should have any concerns if you are sensible and stay away from protest areas and large crowds. You will not be targetted unless you go looking for confrontational situations. This is for the Thai people to sort out for themselves. Just grab some beers, put your feet up and watch the TV. I have a wife and family here and I am cool. If I thought our lives were in jeopardy we would have gone elsewhere.

• Like 2

Likewise have lived through situations like this and never felt under threat, even walking around protest sites.

This time might be different, but I doubt it.

At any rate, you're not going to be home invaded indonesian style. Thankfully, none of the leaders have realised the political mileage available by blaming the foreigners (yet).

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 1

Last time, during the protests, I was able to easily walk through the demonstrations and protests.

My balls are no bigger, nor smaller then most, my common sense was switched on, I do have a good read on body language and sort informal permission (through gesture) to pass through the area ... and this was never an issue.

I have good photos from that time.

All that said ... I hope it goes well on Monday and the following days and weeks for those in Bangkok.

I fly in this Friday, but will be staying just outside the City.

Cheers and good luck to all who have to deal with the situation.

OH ... I pray that no-one more dies and the situation doesn't escalate as it did previously with the last Red Shirt Protests.

In 2010 I got caught just inside the military cordon thrown around the redshirt protest site. It was not safe. Shops ran out of edible food within 36 hours, then they all closed. I was safe enough within the condo but could hear gunfire from maybe the parallel road. After a bit of analysis it became clear that fighting stopped for lunch and siesta, so on the 3rd day legged it to safety, still wary of snipers - one poor sod got shot having a fag on a balcony! I would have stayed put but my employer was less than sympathetic of my plight; I didn't stay with them long after that. I had to quickly rent a room near work that same day and left the condo once the troubles ended.

If the internet or mobile networks hold up, Twitter is your friend. I made a list of some dozen people who were nearby and we swapped local updates. Twitter is much faster and can give local info often missed by aggregators.

It really all depends on where you are - when shit happens, it happens quickly.

Many of my dumb posterior'd American friends ask me why I would want to live in an Asian backwater like Thailand - especially Bangkok.

My answer: Los Angeles burns down every twenty years - what's the difference?

• Like 1

I just called the Mixx disco basement of the Intercon right bang in Ratchaprasong. They are open tonight and tomorrow. If people are going dancing then ain't not much to be afraid of I guess.

And at 3am there'll be a dance-off between Suthep and Yingluck. Whoever wins gets to run the caretaker government. Wear your favorite color and be there.

Edited by The Dancer
  • Like 1

Well. I would be more afraid of getting caught between confrontations betweeb yellows and reds or anything the army gets into it.

I like to think that it is highly improbable that there would be gangs/squads randomly targeting people that are just minding their own business (specially foreigners).

I live in Asoke.

No way I'm leaving.

I'm not a wannabe "tough guy"; I just don't believe that, as a foreigner, there's anything to be afraid of.

These morons blocked Asoke on 22nd December - Terminal 21 was still open and I bought dinner there.

Were you here during that last one?

I was and I remember then restricting the hours then closing the BTS but ...

But did the Underground (MRT) service stop?

Just that I have to get my sister, when she arrives, out to Huay Kwang from Asoke Sukhumvit.

Thanks

Just that I have to get my sister, when she arrives, out to Huay Kwang from Asoke Sukhumvit.

Thanks

Do you mean on 22nd December or are you referring to the April 2010 carnage?

Thanks

Back in 2010 thanks.

Many of my dumb posterior'd American friends ask me why I would want to live in an Asian backwater like Thailand - especially Bangkok.

My answer: Los Angeles burns down every twenty years - what's the difference?

Plus, the LA riots can kick off with such happenings as the Lakers winning a championship game!

Go figure; victory riots ….

Thanks

Back in 2010 thanks.

Yes, indeed I was around here then.

As far as I remember, the MRT was open as usual before the violence kicked off.

Once it did, though, they closed it in keeping with the curfew which fell as early as 8pm from what I can remember.

The BTS was treated differently because some of the red shirts were firing home made rockets at one of the stations.

Thanks ... thumbsup.gif

Already left for business reasons last Monday, not back until the following Monday. Provided things carry on as they are in the CBD areas leaving Swampy and the surrounding Expressways clear, I can't see any reason to be worried.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have seen numerous protests over the years. I do not think you should have any concerns if you are sensible and stay away from protest areas and large crowds. You will not be targetted unless you go looking for confrontational situations. This is for the Thai people to sort out for themselves. Just grab some beers, put your feet up and watch the TV. I have a wife and family here and I am cool. If I thought our lives were in jeopardy we would have gone elsewhere.

I sensible post! leave it up to the Thai's we are here because they allow us to be here.

Arrived Don Mueang from down town (Asoke intersection) 12th Jan at 11.30, flight leaving after 13.00

Huge queue at luggage X-Ray check, check in counters Nok Air 10 deep, seems many people leaving by air.

Flight to Udon Thani was full, but are always full.