The Government Plans To Set Up An Islamic University

Jai Dee

The government plans to set up an Islamic university

The government is thinking about setting up an Islamic university.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai (สุรเกียรติ์ เสถียรไทย) told 20 young Muslim trainees of the Foreign Ministry yesterday that the government supports higher education for Muslims and now has a plan to set up an Islamic university with part of its teachers coming from Bahrain, Brunei and some other Muslim countries.

Mr. Surakiart said the government also will recruit Muslims into different state agencies.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 May 2006

Sounds like Puppet/Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai is shaking babies and kissing hands.

Aren't there more pressing issues to deal with?

Teaching religion can only lead to trouble. It draws a line on the ground separating them from us.

Why not simply make all of the school better... you know, like having English teachers who can actually speak English. Doh!

Actually this is a fantastic idea ...

Remember this is Thailand ... Not some other place ... There are Gov't funded Buddhist Unis etc all over the LOS ...

The caring loving person inside me says ... providing a better education .. with responsable teachers that show the religion the proper way is a good thing ...

The cynic in me says ... you can always identify the potential jihadis etc in a go't sponsored school .... (not that I expect many in truth ... but should be easy to see them as they'd stand out!

Found this through Google:

At present there are 42 universities and 36 teacher colleges in Thailand, many of them established since 1960...

Education at the degree level is also extended to Buddhist monks as well. There are two Buddhist universities, Maha Chulalongkorn University, established with the approval of the Ecclesiastical Elders' Council and budgetary support from the Department of Religious Affairs, Ministry of Education.

Why couldn't Muslims have their own as well? There are quite a few Christian education establishments throughout the country, aren't Christians outnumbered by muslims?

Sound like a good project to me.

oi

so many people just don't THINK when it comes to Islam ... they just react. In Prawet almost all my neighbors were Muslim ... an amazing group of generous honest and friendly people ...

Glad to see this project in Thailand ... they should have at least 2 Campuses in the south and then one in BKK and one in the North

Let me get this. the MOE.. which historically, has no clue regarding the educational system of the Muslim school system.. And the only reason why they took an interest was due to some self serving Ministry Education official... who does not know an out house from a barn.. can understand how to design a curriculum in the Muslin aspect and make this viable to all Muslims in Thailand.. That does mean giving opportunities to the women..who unfortunately excel at what little opportunities they are given, while the majority of the males.. .struggle with the holier than thou attitude.

Again this just seem to be a case of political grandstanding by the Thai govt to control the Muslim community. Empty promises 101.

The Thai Govt and the Islamic opposition forces battle in a catch 22.

The Muslim community when allowed and mobilized can take the responsibilty to shape the type of "Modern" education that balances religion and real world knowledge..

YET.. both the Thai Govt and many Muslim majority and minority groups, view and use Islam as a political too. Too often the authorative elites with the ideolgical legitimacy to remain in power or to provide leadership... get lost or disappear..

yada yada yada