Getting international driving licence in Phuket

danphuket

I have both car and motorbike Thai driving licences. Is there any way to convert them to international in Phuket?

Conditions:

1) Holding student visa

2) Driving licences were issued for a year (first time)

3) At the time the driving licence will expire I will most probably be in another country, and my student visa will expire. Therefore it would be good for me if it is possible to make the document before leaving (which will happen in a couple of months)

Thank you all for your replies!

I will have to make a new one in another country then

Maybe not. As I said, it depends on the country you are planning to drive in. It will also depend if you are going to be a tourist/visitor or are you going to be a resident.

BTW, there are entities in Phuket which claim to be able to get an international license for you. These licenses are not legal and not too long ago a foreigner was arrested after presenting one to police. In Thailand only the Land Transport Dpt. can issue them and back home, in most western countries, only your auto club can issue them.

Edited by NomadJoe

I will be traveling in the usa this year and may need a international drivers license (to rent a car) my us license has expired.

i have the Thai 5 year license and a valid one year retirement visa.

will i be able to get a international drivers license in Phuket from the Land Transport Dpt.

​ Thanks info appreciated.

I will be traveling in the usa this year and may need a international drivers license (to rent a car) my us license has expired.

will i be able to get a international drivers license in Phuket from the Land Transport Dpt.

Yes. Go to the building on the right hand side for license enquiries.

Yes, you will be able to get it.

But do you need it? You 5 year Thai DL is in English and has a photo, for most US states enough and for car rental agencies in the USA enough.

• Like 1

'But do you need it? You 5 year Thai DL is in English and has a photo, for most US states enough and for car rental agencies in the USA enough."

No, it will not work in the USA.
I asked a state cop that question this past year in Pennslvania.
He said NO!
I tried to tell him that Thailand honors US's.
he said "the answer is NO!"

Not friendly about it either.

'But do you need it? You 5 year Thai DL is in English and has a photo, for most US states enough and for car rental agencies in the USA enough."

He said NO!

Your post contradicts many others. I think in the US it depends on the state.

A quick search on Google seems to indicate that in e.g. California IDP is not required, in Pennsylavia it is.

So the question for the OP remains: do you need it? Is there any harm in getting an IDP? No.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Google Phuket provincial Land Transport Office Government Driving Licenses Information Phuket Thailand

Its the official web site with all the information for obtaining 1 and 5 year driving licenses,renewing, canceellation and replacement of driving licenses

and obtaining a international driving license/permit

Maybe a mod can pin the site so people get accurate information

Google Phuket provincial Land Transport Office Government Driving Licenses Information Phuket Thailand

Its the official web site with all the information for obtaining 1 and 5 year driving licenses,renewing, canceellation and replacement of driving licenses

Not a bad idea. I have added it under Useful Information - http://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/231734-tourist-police-other-important-contact-information/

He said NO!

Your post contradicts many others. I think in the US it depends on the state.

A quick search on Google seems to indicate that in e.g. California IDP is not required, in Pennsylavia it is.

So the question for the OP remains: do you need it? Is there any harm in getting an IDP? No.

The cop was wrong. In most states, including Pennsylvania, no IDP is required. If the license is already in English and has a photo (Like Thai lcenses do) I wouldn't bother. If it's in another language, I would recommend getting an IDP.

"Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required."

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-misc.shtml

International Driving Permt

every thing they want

• Present resident address certify from Embassy

this means a trip to the embassy in bangkok to have them confirm a my address?

• Passport with non-immigrant visa original & photo copy.
  • Thai driver license (private) original & photocopy.
  • 2 photo 2.5 inches
  • Postal order receipt 500 Baht and postal order receipt 5 Baht
  • Authorize letter with fee of stamp 10 Baht (if don't come by yourself)
  • Stamp 14 Baht (@ 7 Baht)

every thing they want

• 2 photo 2.5 inches

In stead of from embassy you can also get this from immigration. Yellow housebook or workpermit waivers this requirement.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

every thing they want

• 2 photo 2.5 inches

Yes, as steve said, a letter of residency from Thai immigration will work and in most cases is much easier and cheaper than getting one from you home country's embassy. And a work permit or your name in a yellow housebook (which very few people have) also fulfills this requirement.

i have rented cars on a thai license in Ca an even was stopped once by a cop and showed him my thai license and all we talked about was what Thailand was like

What do u think thai people do when they go to the states an want to rent a car??

i do not know what Thai people do when they rent a car overseas how would i?

I know in Thailand you can rent a car with a us license but you need a international license to be truly legal.

All states have deferent laws! i will not be in california .

I emailed a car rental agency in my state they told me i would need more than aThai license to rent from them.

california is a very liberal state and even a illegal immigrant can rent a car their with a mexican license.

thanks for all those that posted the help i thought a address confirmation from Thai immigration might work that is what i will try first.

I have spent a lot of time trying to deal with thai bureaucracy and i now try to have every thing the might need before i visit them.

i have rented cars on a thai license in Ca an even was stopped once by a cop and showed him my thai license and all we talked about was what Thailand was like

What do u think thai people do when they go to the states an want to rent a car??

<snip>

I know in Thailand you can rent a car with a us license but you need a international license to be truly legal.

<snip>

No, you do not need an IDP to be truly legal in Thailand.

• Like 1

<snip>

<snip>

No, you do not need an IDP to be truly legal in Thailand.

Correct.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590616-international-driver-permit-from-aaa-in-us-is-it-worth-anything-in-thailand/?p=5750239

Not a bad idea. I have added it under Useful Information - http://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/231734-tourist-police-other-important-contact-information/

If the official web site is correct the staff at the PPLTO do not know the rulles for renewing a 5 year license

They demand a letter from immagration confirming your address

Went and got one and by the time i had returned to the PPLTO at 10AM protesters had blocked entry to the site

TIT

If the official web site is correct the staff at the PPLTO do not know the rulles for renewing a 5 year license

Went and got one and by the time i had returned to the PPLTO at 10AM protesters had blocked entry to the site

TIT

As has been written here many, many times, the rules for renewing or applying for a license require address confirmation: from your embassy, immigration, yellow housebook or workpermit.

TIT

As has been written here many, many times, the rules for renewing or applying for a license require address confirmation: from your embassy, immigration, yellow housebook or workpermit.

The official web site should have the correct information and the staff should follow it

What you post many times does not interest me, you are not a representative of the Thai govt

TIT

The official web site should have the correct information and the staff should follow it

What you post many times does not interest me, you are not a representative of the Thai govt

Good on you. You decided to rely on the information from the Thai government in stead of the trusted information given by others here. The result is you had to run some additional errands and could not achieve what you were aiming for.

The staff are following the correct procedure BTW.

Edited by stevenl

Hi

Can I get thai motorbike drive licence having tourist visa?

I dont have licence from my country.

How easy is to get proof of residency if I will tell them I need it for drive licence?

No would be the correct answer. however I have talked to folks who have been granted a Thai driver licence with a Tourist Visa. Really all depends if Immigration will issue the necessary Certificate of Residence. Need to supply rental contract and owners house papers (for official address).

Assuming you have that in hand then the Transport department should allow you to take the driving test.

• Like 1