Foreign numb nuts on stage

jkinbkk

We all have rights,they don't' stop when you cross a border.Hide under the bed if your scared.

Maybe on paper, but once you have been in Thailand for some time, perhaps a week, you'll understand the reality and it is that foreigners do not have rights. Do you think the police or immigration department or military care about your rights? Ask the Rohingya or the Burmese workers.

If the police won't even follow the most basic of protocols which is to advise a foreigner's embassy when they arrest a foreigner, do you honestly think they are going to listen to you if you lecture them on "freedom of expression".

In any case, the law is there in all its full glory. Go back and read what George and SeaVisionBurma posted earlier in the thread.

A foreigner who insists that he has rights usually realizes otherwise when left to languish in an overcrowded jail cell. Thai prisons are not pleasant places to be. It is not being scared to avoid participation in the protests. Rather it is common sense and prudence.

Well I still await the law the significant prohibits tourists from entering legal protests.

For example foreigners enter protests against the WTO in countries. So anyone got the law stating the foreigners are specifically barred from public protest.

Big difference between joining a protest against the WTO in a nation that protects free speech, and joining a protest with the stated purpose of overthrowing the government in a country where they can throw you in the hoosgaw for saying something unfavorable against certain entities, and anyone can sue you for defamation even if what you say is the truth.

Joining a protest may be illegal- or it may not. Who cares? Working to overthrow the existing government will get you tossed out of just about any country you may visit, if they don't just toss you in jail.

I am still waiting to see the law. Say all you like and I an not so stupid to listen to what you say.

Where is the law? Recommend, advise, etc.

Where is the legislation stating a foreigner cannot attend?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what YOU think about your status here, the FACT remains that this country belongs to the Thais and it is UP TO THEM how welcoming vs xenophobic they want to be.

THEIR attitude is that we are tolerated to the extent we spend money here in ways that benefit the powers that be - and a very small number of us may contribute in a positive way otherwise - and NO pumping dollars into the poor upcountry villages is NOT considered to be of value by TPTB, they would prefer that sort of visitor stay away completely no matter how many houses they build or buffalo vet bills paid.

Any time a foreigner is perceived as butting in where our opinions aren't wanted, interfering in Thai business, will only cause friction and resentment, no matter how brilliant any of us may be in our ability to solve Thailand's problems, our advice and assistance isn't wanted.

Even when they PAY for such foreign advice they ignore it anyway.

So remembering that we are indeed temporary guests here - up to the point you get permanent residence, and even then you're opinion won't be welcome just they are less likely to kick you out - this is the way to have a smooth stay while we're here. Not a question of being afraid of anything, just choosing the best strategy to go along to get along.

There are of course those who love risk and conflict - the above only applies to those who value smooth relations and peace of mind.

Well until I see the law I will not recommend anyone to attend but likewise I will believe it doesn't exist and that with a decent lawyer you won't get deported.

Did anyone see that farang dude with his top off onstage? I mean, does he actually have any inkling of how much of a complete and utter douche-bag he appears in the eyes of the average Thai? Like the prats waltzing around Chiang Mai with their tops off, he thinks he's being cool. jerk.gif

Reuters did a piece on this topic. It quoted one Thai protester ( Anchalee, aged 59 ;" ..the foreigners I have met at the rallies are absolutely clueless".. The idea that tourists would participate, on either side, is beyond belief..

• Like 1

Reuters did a piece on this topic. It quoted one Thai protester ( Anchalee, aged 59 ;" ..the foreigners I have met at the rallies are absolutely clueless".. The idea that tourists would participate, on either side, is beyond belief..

For a Thai thrill seeking must really be a foreign idea. Haven't heard of a single Thai daredevil.

That said, Khun Anchalee was probably right. But for the tourists it does make for some awesome photos to show back home. I'm still waiting for the coup so I can get my tank&soldiers shot.

It doesn't matter what YOU think about your status here, the FACT remains that this country belongs to the Thais and it is UP TO THEM how welcoming vs xenophobic they want to be.

Well until I see the law I will not recommend anyone to attend but likewise I will believe it doesn't exist and that with a decent lawyer you won't get deported.

There are people who believe so strongly in a cause, they'll stand in front of tanks and risk being tossed into jail for the rest of their lives for being involved in protests around the world. I admire those people and I'm not saying "don't protest". That's for everyone to decide based on their beliefs and convictions.

But understand the possible consequences here, just from Thai immigration law. Here's a few pertinent sections (underlining mine):

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom :

7. Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

Section 16 : In the instance where for reason of national welfare or safeguarding the public peace, culture, morality, or welfare, or when the Minister considers it improper to allow any alien or any group of alien to enter into the Kingdom, the Minister shall have power to exclude said alien or group aliens from entering into the Kingdom.

Section 22 : In the instance where the competent official discovers that an alien is forbidden from entering into the Kingdom under the provisions of Section 12, the competent official shall have authority to order said alien by written notification to leave the Kingdom.

Section 53 : If it is learned at a late date that aliens who came to stay in the Kingdom are among the persons excluded from entry because of any circumstance as prescribed in Section 12 (7) or (8)or (10) or Section 43 Para.2 or Section 44 or persons convicted under Section 63 or 64, the Director General will submit the matter to the Immigration Commission. If the Immigration Commission decides that the alien's permission to stay in the Kingdom should be revoked, the Immigration Commission will submit their opinion to the Minister for further consideration in revoking the Permission.

Edited by impulse

There are people who believe so strongly in a cause, they'll stand in front of tanks and risk being tossed into jail for the rest of their lives for being involved in protests around the world. I admire those people and I'm not saying "don't protest". That's for everyone to decide based on their beliefs and convictions.

But understand the possible consequences here, just from Thai immigration law. Here's a few pertinent sections (underlining mine):

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom :

7. Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

Section 16 : In the instance where for reason of national welfare or safeguarding the public peace, culture, morality, or welfare, or when the Minister considers it improper to allow any alien or any group of alien to enter into the Kingdom, the Minister shall have power to exclude said alien or group aliens from entering into the Kingdom.

Section 22 : In the instance where the competent official discovers that an alien is forbidden from entering into the Kingdom under the provisions of Section 12, the competent official shall have authority to order said alien by written notification to leave the Kingdom.

Section 53 : If it is learned at a late date that aliens who came to stay in the Kingdom are among the persons excluded from entry because of any circumstance as prescribed in Section 12 (7) or (8)or (10) or Section 43 Para.2 or Section 44 or persons convicted under Section 63 or 64, the Director General will submit the matter to the Immigration Commission. If the Immigration Commission decides that the alien's permission to stay in the Kingdom should be revoked, the Immigration Commission will submit their opinion to the Minister for further consideration in revoking the Permission.

Thank you.

Well that would do it for me. If you don't want to get deported, don't go to the protest.

Someone posted a photo of a sign at the Nong Khai crossing point from Thai Immigration warning foreigners not to join in protests by mounting the stages on pain of deportation. Sounded like sensible advice that should be repeated on a more national level.

Citizens can vote. Same as all the other countries. If you have denounced your home country and now posses a Thai passport, you can vote. Where's the problem?

Why should you have to denounce your home country to become a Thai Citizen - that doesn't happen the other way around in the UK - and seriously what really are the chances of becoming a Thai citizen?

Plenty of Thais were actually born in other countries and only came to Thailand after they finished their education. Mark (Abhisit Vejjajiva) is a Geordie who came back to Thailand after completing his education and became PM, he is ethnically Hakka Chinese. Korn Chatikavanij (Democrat FInance Minister), was also born in the UK in London and was a classmate of Abhisit and Boris Johnson.

Quite a number of friends of various nationalities, who have been here many years, are now Thai citizens with Thai passports, they have to change their names to Thai names. One friend, originally from the UK, is now called Supachai. Some are running major companies, they are entitled to vote and voice their opinions. The parents of many of the Thai Chinese that are running the demonstrations, also renounced their citizenship and became Thai. Also Chinese friends have become Thai but had to change their name from Wong and Lee etc to a Thai sounding name.

Many of the palaces and even Hua Lampong station were not designed by Thais, but by Italians who later were given Thai citizenship and Thai names. Silpakorn University was founded by Italian born art professor Corrado Feroci, who took the Thai name Silpa Bhirasri when he became a Thai citizen. It is the leading Thai university in the fine arts and archaeology.

Citizens can vote. Same as all the other countries. If you have denounced your home country and now posses a Thai passport, you can vote. Where's the problem?

Why should you have to denounce your home country to become a Thai Citizen - that doesn't happen the other way around in the UK - and seriously what really are the chances of becoming a Thai citizen?

Plenty of Thais were actually born in other countries and only came to Thailand after they finished their education. Mark (Abhisit Vejjajiva) is a Geordie who came back to Thailand after completing his education and became PM, he is ethnically Hakka Chinese. Korn Chatikavanij (Democrat FInance Minister), was also born in the UK in London and was a classmate of Abhisit and Boris Johnson.

Quite a number of friends of various nationalities, who have been here many years, are now Thai citizens with Thai passports, they have to change their names to Thai names. One friend, originally from the UK, is now called Supachai. Some are running major companies, they are entitled to vote and voice their opinions. The parents of many of the Thai Chinese that are running the demonstrations, also renounced their citizenship and became Thai. Also Chinese friends have become Thai but had to change their name from Wong and Lee etc to a Thai sounding name.

Many of the palaces and even Hua Lampong station were not designed by Thais, but by Italians who later were given Thai citizenship and Thai names. Silpakorn University was founded by Italian born art professor Corrado Feroci, who took the Thai name Silpa Bhirasri when he became a Thai citizen. It is the leading Thai university in the fine arts and archaeology.

Some fine arts, not all....lol

@OP: Whether you agree with what they are doing or not is it not better to actually be part of what THEY believe in rather than being the mighty keyboard warrior dissing those that actually get off their sofa?

Yes, yes, by all means, let's applaud those who actually have the balls to get up and really support fascist anti-democracy on a stage, blowing whistles, in person, rather than just doing it on Thaivisa like so many of the right-wing racist numbnuts here...that's so, so noble.

Lotta big words there - congrats!

Only reason I don't join the protests is because I don't want to be deported. I can't vote here, so what !? This is my home and what happens here affects me too. I understand the issues and I have an opinion. I have good Thai friends I have long discussions about politics with, we actually rather enjoy hearing what the others know that we don't and each others opinions. I am more up with the latest news and they know the Thai bits that I miss due to my poor language skills.

Unless/until you actually take the step of immigrating, you're still a guest in Thailand, even if you live here. Best to remember that and act like one when the urge to participate in public demonstration strikes... Failure to do so only reflects badly on the vast majority of those who DO know how to conduct themselves. Yes, what happens here affects you - it was your choice to live here and BE so affected, WITHOUT the right to demonstrate politically. If you want the full rights of a Thai, then become one.

• Like 2