Why can you not use a debit card online in Thailand?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Kasikorn as well. I opened up an account with them and had to sign up for what they called k-web shopping card (you can sign up via ATM machines for free). They create for you this "virtual card" information that's doesn't have the same number as your actual debit card. When you want to buy things online, you just type in the virtual card information and go through the confirmation process and you are ready to go.

It's also worth mentioning that the virtual card does tie to your bank account. Though, when you receive a refund for something, it may take awhile before the money shows up in the account. I ran into this problem when I received a refund from PayPal, but the money didn't show up in my account. So, I had to go to one of the branches to make a claim (which required proofs such as receipts, etc) and they reimburse you in about a week. Sent from my SM-N9005

I have such a virtual card too. It has not only a different number, but also different exp. date and CCV. The problem starts after you booked and paid an airline ticket online. How can you present upon check-in a card that only exits in a computer?

To be fair. Using such a card for an Thai Airways ticket is ok. Their system knows these kind of cards and remarks your file key "No need to check CC" automatically.

Airlines that are not used to this security feature gives you lots of "fun".

Your first two sentences. That really gave me problems.

You half to activate your debit card with the bank for on line use Very easy to do Just call them and they will walk you through it

I activated my Kasikorn card very easily by myself. If you go to your account online, if it is activated, it tells you.

To be fair. Using such a card for an Thai Airways ticket is ok. Their system knows these kind of cards and remarks your file key "No need to check CC" automatically.

I don't doubt what you say but when I tried Thai wouldn't accept a Virtual Card, and I believe their booking terms and conditions specifically exclude them.

Payment by other payment cards, e.g. Virtual credit/debit card, e-Credit/debit card, or any other corporate cards, are not accepted.

http://www.thaiairways.com/plan-your-trip/before-you-fly/en/travel-terms-and-conditions.htm

Be careful about bying airplane tickets using a "virtual" card.. Sometimes the airline requires you to display the card used when checking in.. Oops smile.png

I do not understand this, you will print out your Travel Intinerary, it will say 'confirmed', then you should not have to display any card. Your flight has already been paid for.

Because fraud - Thailand statistically is right up there with Nigeria.

Sorry if already stated, but Kasikorn's great, get your regular banking set up, then sign up for Internet banking, then you can get a "virtual credit card" that processes as a full-on credit card online (ONLY) but in fact pulls direct from your account like a debit card.

No problems except when an airline requires you to show the same credit card in person when you check in - which some do. . .

Has anyone ever been refused their flight because they cannot show a 'virtual credit card'? What do you say if they ask for one?

Because fraud - Thailand statistically is right up there with Nigeria.

Sorry if already stated, but Kasikorn's great, get your regular banking set up, then sign up for Internet banking, then you can get a "virtual credit card" that processes as a full-on credit card online (ONLY) but in fact pulls direct from your account like a debit card.

No problems except when an airline requires you to show the same credit card in person when you check in - which some do. . .

Has anyone ever been refused their flight because they cannot show a 'virtual credit card'? What do you say if they ask for one?

No I'm never refused but they still asking my cc to prove I'm the one who order and pay the ticket and I can show my printed travel intinarary.

Bangkok Bank Be1st had for many years no problems...

But a warning... my fault no Bangkok Bank in my area and forget to take book when going shopping, last year remembered and up dated my passbook, 1st time in about 18 months, was in for a shock, someone had take out online just over 2,000 baht, 3 or 4 times a month.... Asked Bank for a full printed statement.. YES for over 1 year.... speaking to the Bank Manager in person and head Office on the phone, the Bank takes no responability with this [Lost 102,000 baht]....... the paperwork I sign to use my Visa Debit card online [all in Thai] outlined this......... No they could not stop this payment, I was issued with a new Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card.

That is shocking, OK, so you made a mistake, your only human, you lost 102.000 Baht. I doubt this would happen in any Western country. Does any other TV member now feel insecure about their money in a Thai bank. Most of my money is still in my UK bank, and that's the way it will stay.

• Like 1

I use my Kasikorn Visa debit card to book tickets with Thai airways no problem at all. Haven't tried it for anything else mind you.

Just tried to book with Emirates ,no go ,also eva would not last year or Egypt air.Not to keen on Thai dont you think they have gone downhill such a lot in the past few years?

Absolutely, TG are my least favourite airline choice (having said that I would mention I never fly on any US airline). My debit card has my name on it, rather than just "privileged member" (555) so that might be why it works.

My Kasikorn Debit card works just fine for online purchases and it still has "Privileged Member" on it. When filling in the details online don't wite your name as "Privileged Member" use the account name e.g. "Fred Bloggs". But before it will even start to work you have to enable it for online use via any Kasikorn ATM.

In addition to Kasikorn's physical Debit/ATM/Visa Electron card is their Virtual Credit Card. Apply for that through K-Bank Online.

I have both and use them regularly without hassle. No difference in workability. Great system.

But a warning... my fault no Bangkok Bank in my area and forget to take book when going shopping, last year remembered and up dated my passbook, 1st time in about 18 months, was in for a shock, someone had take out online just over 2,000 baht, 3 or 4 times a month.... Asked Bank for a full printed statement.. YES for over 1 year.... speaking to the Bank Manager in person and head Office on the phone, the Bank takes no responability with this [Lost 102,000 baht]....... the paperwork I sign to use my Visa Debit card online [all in Thai] outlined this......... No they could not stop this payment, I was issued with a new Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card.

I am aware that unlike in the US (where it is required by law), Thai banks offer not protection for your money. If somebody steals it, oh well! If everybody did what I do, maybe the policy would change.

I have a BKK account and a "No Fee" TMB account, both with internet banking. I have a debit card on the BKK account (Be 1st), but told them I did not want one on the TMB account. I keep a only couple of hundred baht in the BKK account (they don't protect me; that's all they get). I keep all the rest of my money in the no debit card TMB account. If I want money via ATM, I just transfer the amount from TMB to BKK with my computer (about 4 minutes and no fee), then take it out via BKK ATM.

This way, I get to have my cake and eat it too. If BKK wants me to keep a large balance, they need to offer protection.

Great thinking Ticketmaster. Is it easy to open a TMB account?

I don't doubt what you say but when I tried Thai wouldn't accept a Virtual Card, and I believe their booking terms and conditions specifically exclude them.

Payment by other payment cards, e.g. Virtual credit/debit card, e-Credit/debit card, or any other corporate cards, are not accepted.

http://www.thaiairways.com/plan-your-trip/before-you-fly/en/travel-terms-and-conditions.htm

So Thai airways don't want your money even though it is removed from your account immediately the purchase is made. Duh!

If your bank does not suit your needs, do not be hesitant to close the account and move to one that does!

I only have direct experience of Bangkok Bank, because they fulfil my needs.

Namely a CC is available if I keep a fixed deposit equivalent to the credit limit.

They seem very keen to offer CCs.

My Bangkok Bank branch certainly does not. I asked, and was given a flat no. I even offered for it to be secured. Next time I am in Bangkok, I will go to their head office and tell them I want a secured CC.

If your bank does not suit your needs, do not be hesitant to close the account and move to one that does!

Namely a CC is available if I keep a fixed deposit equivalent to the credit limit.

My Bangkok Bank branch certainly does not. I asked, and was given a flat no. I even offered for it to be secured. Next time I am in Bangkok, I will go to their head office and tell them I want a secured CC.

It is damned perplexing how different branches have such widely varying policies!

Obviously my Pattaya 2nd rd branch thinks differently and advertises in English about 'credit cards available to foreigners'... thay even gave me a desk calendar yesterday. When I first used the CC they sent me a free flight bag too!

I've bought stuff from USA and elsewhere online, with a Bangkok Bank Be1st DC (I have 3 and they all work),

I also have a Platinum Visa CC from them.

A million baht in the bank for 6 monthsfacepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18> ..........time to go bank shopping my friend!

this guy is correct, after a lot of hassle, Bangkok bank new Bes1st DC card is the only one I could find that I can use for online transactions, also you can use the new card to pay for the BTS if your in Bangkok..

Yep, I can confirm this as well. There are some online sites (Nok for one) that will ask for a bank confirmation code. For this you have to register your card with the bank. Online operation, painless.

It is damned perplexing how different branches have such widely varying policies!

Obviously my Pattaya 2nd rd branch thinks differently and advertises in English about 'credit cards available to foreigners'... thay even gave me a desk calendar yesterday. When I first used the CC they sent me a free flight bag too!

So true TIT. Although I have a Bangkok Bank account in a branch near my home, I wonder if I can get a credit card the next time I am in Pattaya.

That is shocking, OK, so you made a mistake, your only human, you lost 102.000 Baht. I doubt this would happen in any Western country. Does any other TV member now feel insecure about their money in a Thai bank. Most of my money is still in my UK bank, and that's the way it will stay.

It is the primary reason that you should activate the transaction SMS service with your card. Every transaction made you will receive an SMS to confirm your card has been used.

Another thing ,as i said my wife has a credit card ,which is paid off at the end of every month ,she also could not pay for my ticket online unless she was flying with me ,why not? seems strange. as she accompanies me to the airport and is able to show her card when i check in.

It is the primary reason that you should activate the transaction SMS service with your card. Every transaction made you will receive an SMS to confirm your card has been used.

That's right, that is exactly what happens with my kasikorn bank. I have just opened another account with the Bangkok Bank, and have not used it to withdraw money yet, but it does send me an e-mail every time I go online.

I am aware that unlike in the US (where it is required by law), Thai banks offer not protection for your money. If somebody steals it, oh well! If everybody did what I do, maybe the policy would change.

I have a BKK account and a "No Fee" TMB account, both with internet banking. I have a debit card on the BKK account (Be 1st), but told them I did not want one on the TMB account. I keep a only couple of hundred baht in the BKK account (they don't protect me; that's all they get). I keep all the rest of my money in the no debit card TMB account. If I want money via ATM, I just transfer the amount from TMB to BKK with my computer (about 4 minutes and no fee), then take it out via BKK ATM.

This way, I get to have my cake and eat it too. If BKK wants me to keep a large balance, they need to offer protection.

First I went to the Central World branch in Phitsanulok where a British friend has an account. He's retired, but they told me I needed a work permit. I asked them to call Bangkok, and they did and stuck to their guns. So I just smiled and went to the main branch in Phit'lok, and they opened it no problem.

I have heard a rumor that TMB will no longer open account for Americans since the <deleted> American government is requiring every bank in the world to report to them. Can't blame TMB for that. Don't know if the rumor is true.

So true TIT. Although I have a Bangkok Bank account in a branch near my home, I wonder if I can get a credit card the next time I am in Pattaya.

Well I hate to gloat but.... :D

When I did apply for A credit card and went to collect it, they actually gave me 2..a Visa and a Mastercard.

I asked why as I saw no point having 2 and they said 'why not'... I think commissions might have been involved!

The credit limit/ secured deposit seems to be 'shared' .....ie the 2 credit limits and the secured deposit are all the same amount.

• Like 1

You need to change banks! I use my BKK bank visa debit regularly for Thai PayPal and for things I order online from Singapore and Europe. The only place it has not been accepted is at the American Consulate, which pissed me off.

First I went to the Central World branch in Phitsanulok where a British friend has an account. He's retired, but they told me I needed a work permit. I asked them to call Bangkok, and they did and stuck to their guns. So I just smiled and went to the main branch in Phit'lok, and they opened it no problem.

I have heard a rumor that TMB will no longer open account for Americans since the asshol_e American government is requiring every bank in the world to report to them. Can't blame TMB for that. Don't know if the rumor is true.

You're thinking of FATCA. And quite possibly, though they don't require every bank in the world to report to them - how do you think even the great US of A would achieve that? And it isn't yet in force. But several countries have signed agreements that means the financial institutions - not just the banks (with US clients and/or branches/assets in the US) - report to their home countries, not to the IRS. That said, several countries have introduced - or are in the process of introducing - their own version of FATCA.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Every time i want to pay online ,they will only take a credit card ,and my bank will only give me one if i have 1 million baht in the bank for 6 months ,i dipped under for a month and they told me i must start again ,yet my wife who has had about 25000 baht going in for ages and usually has about 15000 baht in her account ,no bloomin problem. when i ask why cant i use my debit card no one seems to know ,help.sad.png

Get an account with Kasikorn then open a K-Web Credit Card. It deducts directly from your nominated savings account however processes online like a Credit Card (no actual card, everything is virtual). You can also set your limit manually online with cyber banking up to 100,000baht or so.. You will just need the required purchase amount in your nominated account prior to making your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app