Why can you not use a debit card online in Thailand?

You're thinking of FATCA. And quite possibly, though they don't require every bank in the world to report to them - how do you think even the great US of A would achieve that? And it isn't yet in force. But several countries have signed agreements that means the financial institutions - not just the banks (with US clients and/or branches/assets in the US) - report to their home countries, not to the IRS. That said, several countries have introduced - or are in the process of introducing - their own version of FATCA.

There was a long running thread on this subject recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678182-no-new-accounts-at-tmb-for-americans/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that the only thing i have tried to pay for online with my Thai debit card is airline tickets ,maybe its not a problem for anything else.

Well, I've bought airline tickets online, usually with the Kasikorn card, I pay AIS online - though I think the system recently changed - and I recently renewed my anti-virus online. MEB has proved problematic, but only because everything is in Thai. But I did have issues buying Xmas gifts with my UK debit card from John Lewis online, and their various explanations were mind boggling. I had no problem with Debenhams, so the issue might also be with the merchant.

You're thinking of FATCA. And quite possibly, though they don't require every bank in the world to report to them - how do you think even the great US of A would achieve that? And it isn't yet in force. But several countries have signed agreements that means the financial institutions - not just the banks (with US clients and/or branches/assets in the US) - report to their home countries, not to the IRS. That said, several countries have introduced - or are in the process of introducing - their own version of FATCA.

There was a long running thread on this subject recently.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678182-no-new-accounts-at-tmb-for-americans/

I imagine there was. I was only responding to the post which had, admittedly, gone off subject.