Cost of Moving to Thailand with two kids aged 9 and 7

Clive

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I lived in Koh Samui over 10 years ago the international schools were a joke and basically taught how to play computer games but 10 years later I wouldn't expect them to be so much better. It would certainly depend on the management of the school and that could be great anywhere that Thai people are not directly involved.. Sorry to say. But unfortunately so many private schools around Thailand are just not that legit. I would always say good luck to anyone attempting to depend on schools in this country to educate there kids if they want a real western education. It will certainly have most to do with the child's personal motivation.[/size]

Coming a bit off-topic, but were there any international schools at Samui over 10 years ago?

We have always been told, that Blue Water School a few years back was the first and still claimed to be the only one receiving accreditation or certificate as International School, at that time they changed name to ISS (International School Samui). However the newly opened division of Surat Thani University at Samui is called International School of Tourism.

Believe two or three of the other private schools are younger than 10 years, leaving to my knowledge only St. Jospehs in Nathon, which is a private catholic school, and Open Gates, which closed some years ago.

Will be interesting to know, if Samui had international schools before ISS?

Being placed in that category by the ^%*#@$s at the Ministry of Ed doesn't make it a true IS, much less just putting it in the name of the place.

If the teachers are managed by Thais then it's automatically NOT worth considering. A small startup in a farang's home with a total dozen foreign students would be ten times better quality than a fancy place with great marketing but run by Thais.

beside the cost, how about the kids... i moved here 20 yrs ago, with my boy at the age 5yrs... the first yr or two here seem to go well then the picking on the farang kid from other students and city kids came into play. i was hoping it would ease after a while ...but it didn't, it torment him to where he was a loner and never really have close friends. we even changed schoolS and moved to other provinceS, still problems

when he was old enough, he asked if he could go back and as reluctant as i was feeling inside and sad to let him go, i knew he wasn't happy here and haven't been for 13yrs. he's is now back to his birth place and has a family now, he hasn't spoken to me since. i do love him and missed him, the unhappiness i put him thru still haunts me.

beside the cost, how about the kids... i moved here 20 yrs ago, with my boy at the age 5yrs... the first yr or two here seem to go well then the picking on the farang kid from other students and city kids came into play. i was hoping it would ease after a while ...but it didn't, it torment him to where he was a loner and never really have close friends. we even changed schoolS and moved to other provinceS, still problems

when he was old enough, he asked if he could go back and as reluctant as i was feeling inside and sad to let him go, i knew he wasn't happy here and haven't been for 13yrs. he's is now back to his birth place and has a family now, he hasn't spoken to me since. i do love him and missed him, the unhappiness i put him thru still haunts me.

You just sent him "back" and you stayed here?

What was so much more important than being a decent father?

The mind boggles. . .

i didnt send him back as a child.. he was 19, he would of left on his own, why prolong his unhappiness? i had the resource to help, so i did, was i a bad person for doing it? i cant leave, i have children here too. we're both are dual citizen, part of his reason to leave also was thai boot camp, agreed. i dont know how they would treat a farang at boot camp, do you?, and wasn't going to find out either with my son.

Edited by Siamjim

Could you give me a cost of both international schools and Thai schools as I am not sure if International schools are completely necessary as I am able to teach my children English.

I would like them to be bilingual so they will need to go to a Thai school for this...just considering options at this stage.

Kids learn more from each other than from the teachers. International exposure is well worth the money. It's not just about learning English.

I think if they go to an international school they'll learn how to be spoiled brats and how to act cool and take alcohol/drugs. They'll learn that half of them is inferior to the British half which will cause psychological problems. This is my experience of International Schools in Bangkok. But, they will have the opportunity to excel. A big gamble IMHO.

i didnt send him back as a child.. he was 19, he would of left on his own, why prolong his unhappiness? i had the resource to help, so i did, was i a bad person for doing it? i cant leave, i have children here too. we're both are dual citizen, part of his reason to leave also was thai boot camp, agreed. i dont know how they would treat a farang at boot camp, do you?, and wasn't going to find out either with my son.

Sorry thought he was still young.

IMO: Doing right by your school-age kids if you aren't rich = take the whole family back to farangland ASAP.

£15 to 25,000 a year for a decent school comparable to western government schools for both. Actually depends on age.

Remember medical bills in fairly expensive hospitals..

The rest is insignificant.

Edit: In comparison.

Fridge, cheap no ice compartment only 6000B (£120)

Sofa small 2 seater without farang price that will hurt your back 3000B (£60) half decent ones 20,000 B upto 50,000. Ikea have lowered prices in Thailand.

Bed anything from 5000 to 50,000.

Rent depends where you are and what standard you want.

+1

• 3 months later...

The greatest cost will be to your kids education. Thats why we took our children to England so that they could get a good qualification, one that will be recognized.

As for a fridge, and a bed!! If the job offer does not pay you that much that you need to worry about such costs stay where you are.

Some schools can be extremely expensive whereas others can be very reasonable. For enrolling in a bilingual school (not an international school) count 5000 baht per month and per child on average. You can also contact directly the schools of the area you want by searching on the Thai schools directory: http://www.sataban.com

I once decided to ask Thai teachers, "Would you prefer to have all your qualifications from an English university or your Thai university" I can tell you now not one I ever asked would of kept there Thai qualifications. What does that tell you about how they see what they have.

Prices in baht

School is the hard one, cheaper dual language 20k/term, International, sky is the limit..

Sofa, I like the reclining bed ones, about 5k

Fridge, Samsung inventor with freezer, 8k

Bed, king size inc mattress, 6k

2 bed house with garden, in CM 5k/month, rural less, BK more.

dont forget,

you will be asked to buy a new mini van bus for the kids,

they wont tell you that at registration time though

I have taught in several of the top IS as well as some of the supposedly elite Thai government EP/IP programs, and also lesser instances of both.

I can tell you for a fact that the ONLY exception to the "Thai schools really suck, are totally abysmal" are the 10-12 top true IS, nearly all around Bangkok.

I love Thailand, I love the Thais, but from the bottom - the poor teacher in the classroom no matter how hard they try - to the top of the Ministry, there is no way this problem can be solved by Thais, they just have no clue about academics as practiced in the earlier-developed Western world.

Some bright kids shine through and can make it anywhere, but for 99% letting them be educated by Thais will doom them to a lifetime of mediocrity.

There are parents who don't care, and those who don't have the ability to understand the issues, and there are those who suspect but don't want to face the problem because they want to stay here for their own reasons.

But get on a personal friendship basis with farang teachers employed by a given school and you'll find out the truth, the Thai-run schools are really just well-organized scams.

I wish it weren't true believe me. . .

This echoes my feelings exactly. The members who say that Thai schools are fine, even that Isaan schooling would be fine for their children as long as they try to make up the shortfall themselves with their own home teachings, to me are deluding themselves to the reality of the situation and gambling with their kid's education and lives simply because they themselves want to stay here for their own reasons.

I've not yet heard of any Westerner who has brought his kids to Thailand for a better education, it is always the other way around and any Thai who can do it sends their kids to a Western country for schooling too.

We are moving back to the UK next year by the way for this very reason.

Amigo, you didn't post the most important thing: WHERE ? can be very big differences.

school:

international school in BKK, bilingual (eng-thai) 28-30 K THB / semester, i didn't see cheaper. (sarasas witaed with many branches in BKK)

sofa:

in IKEA and INDEX the sofa prices start from 4 K THB but these only for show-business to advertisement and they are full useless.

a normal sofa price starts around 8-10 K THB and goes up to the blue sky, depends on your demand and budget.

fridge:

every where are same prices. the smaller sizes start around 6 K THB, but a nice family size (just bought) 20 K THB and goes up to stars also ...

bad:

Thai style double bed with a cheap (painful) mattress around 5 K THB a normal double bed price starts around 15 K THB and goes up to the moon ....

2 BR accomodation

WHERE ?

in udon I guess starts around 8 K THB / month

in phuket starts around 25 K THB / month

in BKK starts around 20 K THB / month

and they up to the rainbows ... depends on your demand and budget.

• 1 year later...

Life style, and if they are to live in Thailand will need to communicate in Thai

Are you in your right mind take your kids to thailand to live it will not work kids will not like it at all at there age and you will be back home with in 12 mouths think before you do it to your kids I have seen it before kids of that age from the west not like thailand at all , are you doing it for your kids or your thai wife most smart thai women that go and live in the west see how good it is and never go back but go for holidays all the best

Life style, and if they are to live in Thailand will need to communicate in Thai

Are you in your right mind take your kids to thailand to live it will not work kids will not like it at all at there age and you will be back home with in 12 mouths think before you do it to your kids I have seen it before kids of that age from the west not like thailand at all , are you doing it for your kids or your thai wife most smart thai women that go and live in the west see how good it is and never go back but go for holidays all the best

Every Thai woman I know that moved to England and remains there would far prefer to be back in Thailand, but is prevented from doing so due to their or their partner's employment. My wife is the envy of her circle of UK friends.

The UK is good for earning decent(ish) money for those who must work from a specific location, but offers little beyond that. Would far prefer my kid to go to private school here than state school there.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Every Thai woman I know that moved to England and remains there would far prefer to be back in Thailand, but is prevented from doing so due to their or their partner's employment. My wife is the envy of her circle of UK friends.

Yes that is ok for people who come from thailand but kids if kids were born in England not far on then and thailand now is not what thailand was years a go but not up to me up the parents but the kids would have bad life if stay in thailand

Can see your point, at the age of the OPs kids it will be a big change. Certainly wouldn't send them to start at a Thai state school at that age.

Ours is 2.5 and in kindergarten here, loves it and is increasingly bilingual, but at 8 we'll most likely be sending him to private school in BKK or CNX (and relocating there for a few years), otherwise I suspect his future options will be very limited.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd