Cost of Moving to Thailand with two kids aged 9 and 7

Clive

While a Thai education in a private school may not teach children to critically think it will teach them other values. Such as having respect for older people. I am teaching in a school in the UK at the moment and the vast majority of the students here have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything! They are also lazy and have a complete lack of ambition. I've asked numerous A level students what they are going to do after they finish school and the most common answer is 'dunno' or even sign on the dole!! Oh and can you imagine that the vast majority of students here couldn't even tell you where Paris is on the map, let alone Thailand!! Seem to remember numerous posts here about the fact that THAI kids didn't know the map of the world. I would suggest cleaning up your own education system before belittling that of an Asian country that places emphasis on a huge range of cultural values that Westerners will never understand...

And another thing. Thai schools teach their kids practical things that they can use in their future life. Take sewing or ironing for example. Or how to make some Thai dishes like somtam. These are practical learning experiences for Thai kids to survive in Thai society. They don't need to think for themselves.They need to survive! The British kids I've mentioned above are such adept critical thinkers that they've figured out they don't need to work.That's where critical thinking has got them....

Finally Critical thinking is a skill that we can develop.Like every skill not everyone is good at it! I've met people from Western cultures who can't see whats in front of them despite years of 'critical thought training'...I've also met Thais who despite years of Rote training are hugely successful businessmen or women who have open,culturally aware minds and they came through the Thai education system...Rant over...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Thai language private schools really that terrible?

Nope.It depends on which school and where. The arrogance of Westerners on this forum ensures a bias in every answer to every question. Strange as travel should engage their critical minds and help to open them...

While a Thai education in a private school may not teach children to critically think it will teach them other values. Such as having respect for older people. I am teaching in a school in the UK at the moment and the vast majority of the students here have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything! They are also lazy and have a complete lack of ambition. I've asked numerous A level students what they are going to do after they finish school and the most common answer is 'dunno' or even sign on the dole!! Oh and can you imagine that the vast majority of students here couldn't even tell you where Paris is on the map, let alone Thailand!! Seem to remember numerous posts here about the fact that THAI kids didn't know the map of the world. I would suggest cleaning up your own education system before belittling that of an Asian country that places emphasis on a huge range of cultural values that Westerners will never understand...

And another thing. Thai schools teach their kids practical things that they can use in their future life. Take sewing or ironing for example. Or how to make some Thai dishes like somtam. These are practical learning experiences for Thai kids to survive in Thai society. They don't need to think for themselves.They need to survive! The British kids I've mentioned above are such adept critical thinkers that they've figured out they don't need to work.That's where critical thinking has got them....

Finally Critical thinking is a skill that we can develop.Like every skill not everyone is good at it! I've met people from Western cultures who can't see whats in front of them despite years of 'critical thought training'...I've also met Thais who despite years of Rote training are hugely successful businessmen or women who have open,culturally aware minds and they came through the Thai education system...Rant over...

You cannot develop an adult to think critically.

My 12 year old is settling in well back in the uk. He was in an excellent bilingual private school since starting school and was close to top of the class. He is completely bilingual and is keeping up or ahead in all subjects.

What subjects does he find hardest? English lit and history. He finds it incredibly hard to read a piece of text, absorb it and give his interpretation, opinion or feelings about it. He finds creative writing very hard so far.

Thank god I got him back here because obviously this is the beginning of critical thinking. Which mass of texts do Thai kids read in terms of literature or writing to go through this process?

Penguin classics?

Edited by Thai at Heart

My 12 year old is settling in well back in the uk. He was in an excellent bilingual private school since starting school and was close to top of the class. He is completely bilingual and is keeping up or ahead in all subjects.

What subjects does he find hardest? English lit and history. He finds it incredibly hard to read a piece of text, absorb it and give his interpretation, opinion or feelings about it. He finds creative writing very hard so far.

Thank god I got him back here because obviously this is the beginning of critical thinking. Which mass of texts do Thai kids read in terms of literature or writing to go through this process?

Penguin classics?

The adults have come through the system and so should be thinking critically! The kids here in the UK also find Eng Lit and History difficult as some minds just cannot become skilled at critical analysis. I see it on a daily basis .I'm a History and Politics teacher...We also place an over reliance on education systems to teach our kids. Parents and home should be where children learn the skills necessary to get on...

Penguin classics?

The adults have come through the system and so should be thinking critically! The kids here in the UK also find Eng Lit and History difficult as some minds just cannot become skilled at critical analysis. I see it on a daily basis .I'm a History and Politics teacher...We also place an over reliance on education systems to teach our kids. Parents and home should be where children learn the skills necessary to get on...
I had little recollection that it was an issue. He reads perfectly well. What the curriculum in thailand never got him to do was to read anything and produce a piece of writing around it.

The thai curriculum doesn't have it, so the bilingual school or EP programs don't have it. Simple really.

He'll get there. Plenty of time yet

Edited by Thai at Heart

He reads perfectly well. What the curriculum in thailand never got him to do was to read anything and produce a piece of writing around it.

I would put it down to not instilling a sense of inquisitiveness. Asking 'why' in any general sense is looked down upon and will often get you into trouble.

He reads perfectly well. What the curriculum in thailand never got him to do was to read anything and produce a piece of writing around it.

I would put it down to not instilling a sense of inquisitiveness. Asking 'why' in any general sense is looked down upon and will often get you into trouble.

The parents can instill this by spending time reading and talking about books together from a very early age...

I have taught in several of the top IS as well as some of the supposedly elite Thai government EP/IP programs, and also lesser instances of both.

I can tell you for a fact that the ONLY exception to the "Thai schools really suck, are totally abysmal" are the 10-12 top true IS, nearly all around Bangkok.

I love Thailand, I love the Thais, but from the bottom - the poor teacher in the classroom no matter how hard they try - to the top of the Ministry, there is no way this problem can be solved by Thais, they just have no clue about academics as practiced in the earlier-developed Western world.

Some bright kids shine through and can make it anywhere, but for 99% letting them be educated by Thais will doom them to a lifetime of mediocrity.

There are parents who don't care, and those who don't have the ability to understand the issues, and there are those who suspect but don't want to face the problem because they want to stay here for their own reasons.

But get on a personal friendship basis with farang teachers employed by a given school and you'll find out the truth, the Thai-run schools are really just well-organized scams.

I wish it weren't true believe me. . .

The parents can instill this by spending time reading and talking about books together from a very early age...

Quite right. I should have been somewhat more careful with my words so please allow me to rephrase.

I would put it down to society as a whole (a conglomerate of people including teachers, parents etc.) not instilling ....

Don't concern yourself with items 2-5, with what you pay for a quality international education in Thailand you could buy a new sofa, fridge, bed and rent a 2br apartment every month. With the exception of a few selective Thai schools in Bangkok, they are a stand out option. They are the most obvious trajectory for an international tertiary education, but not the only one.

Wealthy Thais often send their kids to these schools for the immersive English language environment that they don't get at home. Thankfully, you are in the opposite situation and your kids already have a better foundation in English than 99% Thai high school students, even those in so-called English programs at private schools.

If you're prepared to continue working with them, their English shouldn't be a problem. But if your priority is developing the Thai language to a high/academic level, they may be better off completing some or all of their education in Thai language, and that means putting them in the best private or bilingual school you can afford. In the provinces, these start from around 30-50K per semester, but can get into the hundreds. You'll also need to factor in a Thai language tutor for the first year or two until they are up to speed with their peers. If they're good enough, they might eventually pass the entrance exams to the selective schools or qualify for a scholarship.

The final option would be govt schooling, of which the costs are negligible. They will give your kids the Thai language, but little else. That's not to say that bright kids with good parenting can't or won't succeed.

Could you give me a cost of both international schools and Thai schools as I am not sure if International schools are completely necessary as I am able to teach my children English.

I would like them to be bilingual so they will need to go to a Thai school for this...just considering options at this stage.

Really !

You obviously need to do a little more research or you would not be thinking of this course of action .

Or maybe they are red headed step-children ,

That's as maybe. But if you are never faced with a question that asks "what does the author mean ??", "explain what is the meaning of??", you will never learn to do it.

I can understand how the thai curriculum is fine in many ways. For his age he is in top sets for maths and science, and other subjects.

But the type of questions mentioned above he really struggles at the moment. I compare it with the reading programming my 9 year old daughter has to do in junior school here. Daily reading is encouraged and she has to write a short report about what the story was about.

If that isn't training for critical thinking what is?

Always done it. He was reading english books well at all stages. Problem really is, and maybe I missed it, was to ask him to give an opinion on it.

Thing is, this is something that should be I the curriculum.also. My daughter has it here in junior school. She has a reading diary and can take books from school or her own as wanted. Every time she completes a book she is meant to write approx 300 words about the story and what she liked about the story.

This component is completely lacking in the thai curriculum.at least from what I saw.

Thank you for all of your advice...I thought as much but needed reassurance. My children are presently in the uk at a very good school so would be stupid in the extreme to move them.

Thank you

ya think!

What business is it of yours how the op raises his kids?

He asked for advice not your criticisms.coffee1.gif

For my farang son we pay about 400K baht per year on a not too expensive international school for the Thai/Falang kids it's about 100K each on a good bilingual school.

House rent with in an area with better schools is 15K and up, 25 will get you something decent and it wil likely be partly furnished. I wouldn't bother too much about the initial furniture.

Don't go too far from schools as your cost will increase with school buses or you have to drive yourself.

What you should bother about is the cost of your daily expenses, Thailand is not cheap anymore and your shopping trolley in the Lotus wil be close to your UK one.

If you want to reduce cost think twice as the high cost of education and daily shopping may be a bummer. Next to that even if you go for International or bilingual schools your kids may be much better off receiving and education in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looking back at my cousin who took her 2 children same age as you from Australia to Europe to do as you have stated, today the kids are drug addicts but adults, have no future, no education, the family have no money because they can't get work and are living on a small Australian pension, you won't be doing your kids any favors, you will be destroying their lives, like i see with so many people who go from a first world country to a village country,, they regret it later but financially cannot ever move back....think hard first.

I understand the OP asking about the cost of good schools and hospital costs would also be be significant consideration but when he asked about the cost of a bed, sofa and fridge I was reminded of the saying........."If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

really now. Who brings kids to grow up in thai voluntarily.

Totally agree, why anyone would want to bring & raise their kids here is beyond belief.

I assume your coming from one of the more western countries OP???

You must have his own personal reason i guess, but stuff the kids. Sink or swim for them??

Life style, and if they are to live in Thailand will need to communicate in Thai

Do you feel they will have an opportunity to a real education, better in Thailand than in your home country, wherever that is?

I have persuaded a friend, who couldn't afford the best Thailand had to offer, that his child was better off being brought up in his home country.

The ages of yours worry me in that respect.

I understand the OP asking about the cost of good schools and hospital costs would also be be significant consideration but when he asked about the cost of a bed, sofa and fridge I was reminded of the saying........."If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

I kinda figured the same. Asking about schooling [the upper education echelon yes?] then asking about a sofa?

Surely this can't be another TROLL, surely not?

I am an American citizen that raised both of my boys in Thailand with a Thai wife who lived in the states for 15 years prior to us moving back here. This started 20 years ago. But I doubt things have changed that much. One was born here, the other 2 years old. They both learned Thai early on due to our extended family not school. You are looking at many, many issues if you bring children soon to be teenagers and a husband.

My kids never connected with Thai kids. Only half farang and half Thai. My wife could not relate to the Thai women because of there backgrounds in many cases and there very small minded ness. We watched husband after husband of western women that came with there husband leave there western wives to be with the Thai women. The Thai people will continuously try to rip you off and even the most shrewd negotiator will have difficulty dealing with this and certainly tire of it after a while. Even your best friend Thai could succumb to the ripoff scam.

If you can home school you are best off. I did with my kids. The international schools are not good and cost from a $1000/mo up. The local schools at best will not teach your kids Thai but by osmosis they may learn some. The local kids will spit on your kids for a while but after a short time they are fairly accepting except your kids will probably never become very close to any unless they speak English which few do. The cost of the local private Thai schools is next to nothing $50 a month at best and all schools require uniforms which is pretty cool. There are extra curricular activities to find so look.

Though, of course there is a drug problem in Thailand there is everywhere so a close family atmosphere is the best solution for keeping kids safe. We moved out of thailand back to the states when the kids were 10 and 12 and my boys , though are forever thankful they grew up in Thailand they are even more thankful to us they got the state side education they got. They would have learned little from the education system here if they would have stayed for the things they have interest in but I just wish to give you these thoughts.

The cost of everything else is comparable to the states except rent and food which , unless you are planning to rent a Phuket high rise on the beach, rents are very reasonable.

Good luck.

The OP doesnt mention where, other than provinces, and school level. I wrote from and your can find a English Programme School for 120,000 at Primary level an International School, where I live, vary from 220,000 to 430,000 baht depending of age for primary, plus joining fee and all the extras.

Perhaps you're missing my point.

It is my opinion that there are fewer than a dozen decent schools in the kingdom, the rest are in effect worthless, at least compared to what's available for free back home.

Therefore coming to live in Thailand when you have school-age children is something a responsible parent would do only if they could afford the 600-800K THB per child tuition.

If not, then they are being irresponsible and should leave their kids in farangland, and only come here on holidays until the kids are out of school.

Some people may also be willing and able to home school.

Maybe very true, but I am not at all judging the one school from the other or express any opinion about what may be better or the best, just try top answer the OP’s simple question about pricing for settling in a Thai province, which I presume is outside of Bangkok. Some places it may be hard to find a certified International School, unless the OP is considering a boarding school in for example Bangkok, but other options like Private English Programme schools may be available.

And I must admit, I did not read the OP’s headline carefully enough, as the age of the two kids are stated there, 7 and 9 – sorry. As example from where I live in South, an International School charge 317k for 7-9 year old kids, non refundable joining fee 75k, lunch 17k, transport by school bus from 42k to 75k depending of distance, 2nd child 10% discount, some other expenses and fees for uniform, extra lessons etc.

So yes, International School may (easily) cost from some 450,000 baht and up per year per child.

Are the Thai language private schools really that terrible?

I think it really depends of where you are and the fee you pay. Where I live, Koh Samui, there is a number of Private Schools and an International. One of the private schools, which has a quite reasonable low fee and is widely used by Thais, seems for example to have a bad reputation when it comes to English language – the are said to use Philippine teachers – whilst a Thai English Programme School, with a bit higher fee, but still less than an International School, the students are hitting number one in language competitions, like in “South of Thailand”. Furthermore it seems like the kids in a Thai English Programme School can catch up extremely well in other skills like math and science compared to the International School. The Thai School of course focus a lot on teaching Thai language and the typical Thai traditions.

Another thing about schooling, apart from question of what the parents can afford – and here I am meaning the annual fee of some 500,000 baht or more may be a lot for some families, especially if they have more than one child – is if you staying permanent in Thailand and expect your child’s future to be within Thailand, or you are on the move between several employments in foreign countries. In that case focus on an International School with less Thai skills and traditions may be preferred, as Thailand shall not be the future destination for the family and further education at University may be in another country or in your original home country.

Furthermore it may also depend on the home – meaning dad and mum – what kind of interest you may turn your kid to; if you teach something or how the family behave; what you talk about and how you answer the child’s questions etc. A foreign, or mixed farang-Thai family may focus on other things than a Thai-Thai family. Not in any way judging what is best or right, but someone coming from abroad – like the one part in a mixed family – may well give a child other inputs and create other interests, than a child from a Thai-Thai family get.

When I lived in Koh Samui over 10 years ago the international schools were a joke and basically taught how to play computer games but 10 years later I wouldn't expect them to be so much better. It would certainly depend on the management of the school and that could be great anywhere that Thai people are not directly involved.. Sorry to say. But unfortunately so many private schools around Thailand are just not that legit. I would always say good luck to anyone attempting to depend on schools in this country to educate there kids if they want a real western education. It will certainly have most to do with the child's personal motivation.

Clive putting your kids in a Thai school would be hard for them depending on their age unless they had a really good understanding of the Thai language. Teachers talk fast and there are numerous disruptions in the class also depending on how your kids. Your kids wil never be taught to think in a Thai school

Just heard from my American colleague that a girl was beaten with a bamboo stick so badly that she's wearing a long sleeve shirt now.Bruises, etc...wanted to cry....

Education at a bilingual program might be THE solution. Please don't put them in an ordinary school, as they won't learn useful stuff and it's a total waste of time.

Check the right insurance from your country, you might get a better deal. Good luck for you.-wai2.gif

Yes, my two kids, returning from their first day back in farangland school charge into the house full of joy, shouting "Daddy Daddy the teachers DON'T HIT you here! They're SO kind!"

breaks your heart. . .

When I lived in Koh Samui over 10 years ago the international schools were a joke and basically taught how to play computer games but 10 years later I wouldn't expect them to be so much better. It would certainly depend on the management of the school and that could be great anywhere that Thai people are not directly involved.. Sorry to say. But unfortunately so many private schools around Thailand are just not that legit. I would always say good luck to anyone attempting to depend on schools in this country to educate there kids if they want a real western education. It will certainly have most to do with the child's personal motivation.

Coming a bit off-topic, but were there any international schools at Samui over 10 years ago?
We have always been told, that Blue Water School a few years back was the first – and still claimed to be the only one – receiving accreditation or certificate as International School, at that time they changed name to ISS (International School Samui). However the newly opened division of Surat Thani University at Samui is called International School of Tourism.
Believe two or three of the other private schools are younger than 10 years, leaving to my knowledge only St. Jospeh’s in Nathon, which is a private catholic school, and Open Gates, which closed some years ago.
Will be interesting to know, if Samui had international schools before ISS?