Pro-Election Rallies Organised In 16 Provinces

Lite Beer

I count 30.000 people join the pro election demonstrations, thats all? Thats the majority of Thai people. whistling.gif

Just come back from Lad Prao, think about 20-30.000 people only there. Friends from Chiang Mai say, sad about cant enjoy anti-Goverment protests because reds throw stones on people. Now, Im sure the majority of Thais want the corrupt Taksin regime to resign. And I hope, they will all take responsibility in front of the criminal court...smile.png

Uh, you do realize that Ladprao intersection is just one small part of the larger picture, right ? There are 7 main rally sites of which that is one and there are also people marching everywhere, there were at least 1000 people came marching down my street on the outskirts of Bangkok this morning. Many dozens of people came running out of their businesses and many people came out of their houses with their whistles and waving and cheering the marchers. A great majority of the people round here seem not to join the protests but support what they are doing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I notice it is "pro elections" not "pro democracy" which they are fighting for. Again it highlights that all the PTP and UDD want is to win an election so they can practice their undemocratic form of government again. You could say, Thaksin adheres to one principle of democracy which is "the principles of majority rule (excluding of course individual and minority rights)"

Suthep on the other hand is fighting for power and civic responsibility being exercised by all citizens, directly or through their freely elected representatives.

Principles and practices that protect human freedom; it is the institutionalization of freedom.

Democracies that guard against all-powerful central governments and decentralize government to regional and local levels, understanding that local government must be as accessible and responsive to the people as possible.

Understanding that one of their prime functions is to protect such basic human rights as freedom of speech and religion; the right to equal protection under law; and the opportunity to organize and participate fully in the political, economic, and cultural life of society.

That democracies conduct regular free and fair elections open to all citizens. Elections in a democracy cannot be facades that dictators or a single family regime or party hide behind, but authentic competitions for the support of the people.

Ensure the rule of law and ensures that all citizens receive equal protection under the law and that their rights are protected by the legal system. Ensure democracies are diverse, reflecting each nation's unique political, social, and cultural life.

Democracies rest upon fundamental principles, not uniform practices.

That citizens in a democracy not only have rights, they have the responsibility to participate in the political system that, in turn, protects their rights and freedoms.

That democratic society is committed to the values of tolerance, cooperation, and compromise.

Democracies recognize that reaching consensus requires compromise and that it may not always be attainable.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.” (PTP/UDD are intolerant towards World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, the environmentalists, the corn farmer, the rubber farmers, academics, global economists and IMF so much so that Dr Weng of the UDD sent a statement to the UN stating "you are misinformed" and "you are completely incorrect" So in summary the UDD are right and the UN are wrong.)

SO who do you support? The guys that like to hide behind elections so they can abuse every other democratic principle or the guys that don't win the elections but do stand behind every other democratic principle.

In Thailand the being the majority is not a badge of success, but of failure.

Time for some change me thinks!

I think you stired up a hornest nest with this post.

Answer this for democracy, Suthep's Reform is to remove the voting rights of the Uneductaed and Poor as they can be easily bought.

'The “Bangkok shutdown” was today and a large number of people came out for it. CNN estimated 50,000. Others say less. Protest leader Suthep suggested 180,000. Michael Yon estimated hundreds of thousands

World and national media focused most of their coverage on Bangkok. Afterall it is the capital. But what was happening outside of Bangkok? I got tired of searching last night but came up with at least 37 provinces with pro-election rallies countering the Bangkok shutdown. That includes all but 3 provinces in the North/NE and they probably had events that I couldn’t find. How many people showed up to these rallies? Take a look below and see what you think. By the way, this is not an endorsement of any political group. My blog is mostly about Isan and I wanted to put in pictures what is scattered around the news and social media. Any additions or corrections?'

Chiang Mai:

chiang-mai.jpg

Ubon:

large_image.jpg

See here for more pictures from the provincial pro-election rallies: http://www.thethaireport.com/?p=3076#.UtQrfoGIyfY.twitter

• Like 2

'The Bangkok shutdown was today and a large number of people came out for it. CNN estimated 50,000. Others say less. Protest leader Suthep suggested 180,000. Michael Yon estimated hundreds of thousands

World and national media focused most of their coverage on Bangkok. Afterall it is the capital. But what was happening outside of Bangkok? I got tired of searching last night but came up with at least 37 provinces with pro-election rallies countering the Bangkok shutdown. That includes all but 3 provinces in the North/NE and they probably had events that I couldnt find. How many people showed up to these rallies? Take a look below and see what you think. By the way, this is not an endorsement of any political group. My blog is mostly about Isan and I wanted to put in pictures what is scattered around the news and social media. Any additions or corrections?'

See here for more pictures from the provincial pro-election rallies: http://www.thethaireport.com/?p=3076#.UtQrfoGIyfY.twitter

Great post and excellent work on your blog. It really does show just how obstinate and self-centred Suthep and his followers are with their so called 'People's' Revolution.

'The Bangkok shutdown was today and a large number of people came out for it. CNN estimated 50,000. Others say less. Protest leader Suthep suggested 180,000. Michael Yon estimated hundreds of thousands

World and national media focused most of their coverage on Bangkok. Afterall it is the capital. But what was happening outside of Bangkok? I got tired of searching last night but came up with at least 37 provinces with pro-election rallies countering the Bangkok shutdown. That includes all but 3 provinces in the North/NE and they probably had events that I couldnt find. How many people showed up to these rallies? Take a look below and see what you think. By the way, this is not an endorsement of any political group. My blog is mostly about Isan and I wanted to put in pictures what is scattered around the news and social media. Any additions or corrections?'

Great post and excellent work on your blog. It really does show just how obstinate and self-centred Suthep and his followers are with their so called 'People's' Revolution.

It isn't my blog! But agree, it's good work. A poster earlier in the thread claimed only 100 showed up in CM. From the picture it looks like 2 million to me. An architect friend (PhD) reckoned it might be 5 million. So I said as we can't settle this, let's just call it 8 million. Yep... clearly it dwarves Suthep's protests which could only attract 6 million.

• Like 1

I notice it is "pro elections" not "pro democracy" which they are fighting for. Again it highlights that all the PTP and UDD want is to win an election so they can practice their undemocratic form of government again. You could say, Thaksin adheres to one principle of democracy which is "the principles of majority rule (excluding of course individual and minority rights)"

Suthep on the other hand is fighting for power and civic responsibility being exercised by all citizens, directly or through their freely elected representatives.

Principles and practices that protect human freedom; it is the institutionalization of freedom.

Democracies that guard against all-powerful central governments and decentralize government to regional and local levels, understanding that local government must be as accessible and responsive to the people as possible.

Understanding that one of their prime functions is to protect such basic human rights as freedom of speech and religion; the right to equal protection under law; and the opportunity to organize and participate fully in the political, economic, and cultural life of society.

That democracies conduct regular free and fair elections open to all citizens. Elections in a democracy cannot be facades that dictators or a single family regime or party hide behind, but authentic competitions for the support of the people.

Ensure the rule of law and ensures that all citizens receive equal protection under the law and that their rights are protected by the legal system. Ensure democracies are diverse, reflecting each nation's unique political, social, and cultural life.

That citizens in a democracy not only have rights, they have the responsibility to participate in the political system that, in turn, protects their rights and freedoms.

That democratic society is committed to the values of tolerance, cooperation, and compromise.

Democracies recognize that reaching consensus requires compromise and that it may not always be attainable.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.” (PTP/UDD are intolerant towards World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, the environmentalists, the corn farmer, the rubber farmers, academics, global economists and IMF so much so that Dr Weng of the UDD sent a statement to the UN stating "you are misinformed" and "you are completely incorrect" So in summary the UDD are right and the UN are wrong.)

SO who do you support? The guys that like to hide behind elections so they can abuse every other democratic principle or the guys that don't win the elections but do stand behind every other democratic principle.

As opposed to the demonstrators in Bangkok who want to overthrow the elected government? No matter how badly we may believe the current government has governed, they were elected.

Now I understand why this country awash with foreign workers from neighbors countries,

where I go now be it supermarkets, large venues, small to large factories and restaurants

are all staffed with Burma, Vietnam Chinese and Cambodian workers,

Thai people are too busy with their protests, rallies and demonstrations to really do a day's

work...

Farmers are not dumb peasants as some would have us believe, with the advent of better communications and social media the truth is filtering through.

Your post is very good, and I found this line to be the most salient point re; Thailand's recent situation. PTP got into power and went into full trough-mode, the 'grabbing hands' as the saying goes. They spent years messing around, wasting time, and pushing corrupt policies, none of which benefit the normal farmers and factory workers who voted for PTP on the solemn promise that this party represented the poor and honest working Thai.

But as you so correctly say (above) the PTP voters are not stupid, and in recent months (pre-demo) we were seeing PTP voters criticising their party. This was a good sign, I would say this criticism is the green shoots indicating a healthy organism. My hopes were that this process of PTP voters engaging with and demanding much more from their party, would be allowed to play out and indeed snowball, into a truer form of representation.

But this process requires elections too. If Suthep gets his Assembly, PTP voters will switch their criticism and anger, which was recently directed at their own party's failings, and re-direct this positive constructive energy into negative energy, in battling the new Assembly. My accusation against Suthep since early December has really been that he is de-railing the slow but natural process of voter empowerment within PTP, and the corresponding lowering of corruption and raising of performance within the leadership.

coffee1.gif

I agree with all you have said but I guess they thought they could not sit back and let the amnesty bill go through.

Maybe it is time to regroup, allow elections to take place. Surely there is not much left in the pot. I know it will not be good for Thailand but if you give PTP enough rope they will surely hang themselves, the country will be broke, the people who voted for them will still be broke and who will they have to blame?

• Like 2

Let me get this straight: "all the PTP and UDD want is to win an election". And that isn't democracy? Suthep has stated that he wants his mob to creat violence so there will have to be a coup; and that's supposed to create democracy? I honestly cannot believe that anyone of intelligence thinks that an election is undemocratic.

I suggest you learn what the democracy really means, not as a propangada tool used by Suthep. Do you remember the "German Democractic Republic"? That was the official name of the former East Germany. Calling a pig a swan doesn't make it so.

Oh please! under the last dem government, there were more websites shut down and more people knicked under computer crime and lese majeste laws than ever before. Democratic my arse!

You just don't get it mate. You also fall back into the "because the Dems did it makes it ok" argument. It doesn't. This is why Thailand needs reform. Some just need more reform than others when they are so blatantly obviously undemocratic as the PTP are. Damn, they even make promises now that everyone knows will never eventuate (beheadings of Chalerm. Imagine if Barrock Obama said I will let you behead be if we don't get Obama care through)

Remember the negative comments about Yingluck on Facebook? Wiped from the internet and a witch hunt ensured. Remember the threats against the Generals daughters involving kidnapping and murder? This is 2 young innocent kids. Any witch hunt? Nope. It was a "friend of Thaksin" that posted it. Not really equal protection under the law is it. The list goes on and on.

• Like 2

Oh please! under the last dem government, there were more websites shut down and more people knicked under computer crime and lese majeste laws than ever before. Democratic my arse!

You just don't get it mate. You also fall back into the "because the Dems did it makes it ok" argument. It doesn't. This is why Thailand needs reform. Some just need more reform than others when they are so blatantly obviously undemocratic as the PTP are. Damn, they even make promises now that everyone knows will never eventuate (beheadings of Chalerm. Imagine if Barrock Obama said I will let you behead be if we don't get Obama care through)

Remember the negative comments about Yingluck on Facebook? Wiped from the internet and a witch hunt ensured. Remember the threats against the Generals daughters involving kidnapping and murder? This is 2 young innocent kids. Any witch hunt? Nope. It was a "friend of Thaksin" that posted it. Not really equal protection under the law is it. The list goes on and on.

• Like 1

What evidence do you have that Suthep's mob "do stand behind every other democratic principle"?

We certainly know Suthep's past & he hasn't stood behind any democratic principles.He has certainly shown his hand at corruption, cronyism and nepotism, just what he preaches he will eliminate. He has some vague plan that he will be able to mysteriously & incredibly rid Thailand of its ingrown systematic corruption in 4 months and create a perfect democracy. <deleted>!

What evidence do you have that Suthep's mob "do stand behind every other democratic principle"?

What evidence do you have that Thaksin's regime stands behind them? I have already explained mine.

Suthip is holding a rally in Bangkok, as I am sure you have noticed, to ensure all the other principles are adhered too.

Again I say, as I did to others, what you don't say regarding my comments speaks more about the shallow attempts at defending democracy. It is what you don't say that highlights the lack of understanding of it.

I only hope that the poor expats that defend the regime don't finish up as those other fundamentalists like Conner Purcell and Jeff Savage. In jail and then exported. They too defended burning buildings and fighting for a cause as did David Hicks in Afghanistan. Simple minded folk that followed a cause that was their ultimate downfall.

I pity those people and I want to help them. It highlights that mental health in Thailand for expats is seriously understated and under financed.

I completely support your mental health postulation.

I think you stired up a hornest nest with this post.

Answer this for democracy, Suthep's Reform is to remove the voting rights of the Uneductaed and Poor as they can be easily bought.

One, he wanted an electoral system which is free of vote buying. Encompassing making electoral constituencies larger, or have more MPs in the party list system which is based on nationwide popular votes

Two, he wanted to see effective measures to end corruption.

Three, The people should have the power to remove politicians and that administrative power should be decentralised. For instance, provincial governors should be elected.

Four, To see police reform, so that the police force would truly belong to the people and perform their duties under the command of the elected governor of their respective province.

Five, he wanted bureaucratic reform so that government officials would not serve as "politicians' servants".

Six, To solve the problems inherent in education, social affairs, public health and transport.

He wanted an economic system free of monopoly. Investment in transport infrastructure must answer to the country's needs, not to politicians.

As for removing the votes from the North. That is the propaganda for the weak minded that the UDD want people to swallow. The most successful ministry in the PTP is the ministry of propaganda. I can see why now with that comment.

• Like 1

clown

Again the responses are too vague. Bit like the PT finance departments answers regarding the cost to the voters of the rice pledging scheme. So...What type of clown? Like the PT deputy PM Plodprasop portraying a13th century ex-king at the water summit for international delegates? Or more like Bozzo the clown. The clown the majority would have voted for without caring about the consequences had he offered 1% more than the PTP did on rice pledging.

Let me get this straight: "all the PTP and UDD want is to win an election". And that isn't democracy? Suthep has stated that he wants his mob to creat violence so there will have to be a coup; and that's supposed to create democracy? I honestly cannot believe that anyone of intelligence thinks that an election is undemocratic.

I suggest you learn what the democracy really means, not as a propangada tool used by Suthep. Do you remember the "German Democractic Republic"? That was the official name of the former East Germany. Calling a pig a swan doesn't make it so.

?????

Might want to read my post again mate..

It seems now to be considered a PR advantage not to don red shirts, which is fascinating. Perhaps the UDD history catching up with them. I wonder what Thida and Jatuporn think ? But in any event, once they get their election and their vote, what will happen to all those colourful balloons when parliament won't be able to open ? What will the placards say then ?

You just reminded me; nuttawut and jatuporn now silent.

?????

Might want to read my post again mate..

"Suthep has stated that he wants his mob to creat violence so there will have to be a coup......."

You say 'he stated'.

When did he say that? I don't believe he did say that at all and I believe you are telling porkies.

• Like 1

On another thread someone mentioned that there were millions of reds in Chiang Mai but there wasn't enough marching here to even get a mention in this article. I think the number was a few hundred who blocked traffic around Tha Phae Gate

• Like 1

What?

You say the people hate the Reds?

So why are you afraid to have an election.

Why is it you refuse the UN to look at the election?

Because you KNOW the Reds will win.

Coup after coup is all you got now.

More probably National holidays with bands , food and a party which achieves the same result - with Facebook and social media you dont need tanks anymore - at least not in Thailand.

"...it highlights that all the PTP and UDD want is to win an election so they can practice their undemocratic form of government..........

Principles and practices that protect human freedom..........

Understanding that one of their prime functions is to protect such basic human rights as freedom of speech.......and the opportunity to organize and participate fully in the political, economic, and cultural life of society.......That democracies conduct regular free and fair elections open to all citizens........Ensure democracies are diverse, reflecting each nation's unique political, social, and cultural life.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.”........

I wish I had a mere thimbleful of whatever you're on which allows you to "spin" such blatant contradictions and seek the result to be IN SUPPORT of an argument for your and The Democrat cheesy.gif Party's form of "democracy".

A thimbleful, in the water supply, would likely be enough to have the whole of Bangkok's population away-with-the-fairies.

Oh yeah..... and it's "methinks" not "me thinks" (one word, not two) dontcha know.

tongue.png

Sounds to be about the same numbers as those who have gone to BKK from each place.

Wait for another couple of days when the rice farmers have still not been paid then see how many love PT.

I'm pretty sure the red ones lost many votes from these rice farmers.

So I'm not so sure that Shinawatra will win the next election.

Shinawatra era runs toward their destiny.

"...it highlights that all the PTP and UDD want is to win an election so they can practice their undemocratic form of government..........

Understanding that one of their prime functions is to protect such basic human rights as freedom of speech.......and the opportunity to organize and participate fully in the political, economic, and cultural life of society.......That democracies conduct regular free and fair elections open to all citizens........Ensure democracies are diverse, reflecting each nation's unique political, social, and cultural life.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, “intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.”........

I wish I had a mere thimbleful of whatever you're on which allows you to "spin" such blatant contradictions and seek the result to be IN SUPPORT of an argument for your and The Democrat cheesy.gif Party's form of "democracy".

A thimbleful, in the water supply, would likely be enough to have the whole of Bangkok's population away-with-the-fairies.

Oh yeah..... and it's "methinks" not "me thinks" (one word, not two) dontcha know.

tongue.png

Very vague non descript response AGAIN from the pro "supporting 1 out of 15 principles of democracy aint bad" PT supporters

Drugs? Off with the Fairies? I never mentioned "Woodstock" in my post did I?

You can't really debate any of my points me thinks.

tongue.png

Very vague non descript response AGAIN from the pro "supporting 1 out of 15 principles of democracy aint bad" PT supporters

Drugs? Off with the Fairies? I never mentioned "Woodstock" in my post did I?

You can't really debate any of my points me thinks.

Determined to exercise your "democratic" right to be wrong unto the end, I see (and not simply in misquoting the Bard, methinks). tongue.png

PS. I'm off to bed now so will read your brainwashed response(s) on the 'morrow. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by SebD