US urges Thai dialogue, applauds restraint so far

webfact

US urges Thai dialogue, applauds restraint so far

WASHINGTON, January 14, 2014 (AFP) - The United States on Monday urged ally Thailand to find a peaceful way to resolve deep differences as it applauded restraint shown so far by authorities faced with major protests.

US officials "urge all sides to refrain from violence, exercise restraint and respect the rule of law," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters.

"We do, I would note, applaud the restraint shown thus far by government authorities in this regard," she said.

Harf said that US officials were working with a "full range" of players "to encourage dialogue and a peaceful democratic transition."

Thousands of protesters have swarmed Bangkok to urge Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to quit and make way for an unelected "people's council" that would oversee reforms to curb the political dominance of her billionaire family.

The civil strife is the worst since 2010, when more than 90 people were killed in street clashes between soldiers and protesters who supported Yingluck's brother, ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thailand is the oldest US ally in Asia, with Washington signing a treaty with the kingdom then known as Siam in 1833.

But recent US diplomacy aimed at resolving Thailand's polarization has had a mixed reception, with a government in 2010 lodging a protest after a US envoy met pro-Thaksin political players.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-14

Thousands of protesters have swarmed Bangkok to urge Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to quit and make way for an unelected "people's council" that would oversee reforms to curb the political dominance of her billionaire family.

Thousands is not wrong, but what it the suggestion...

Respect their right to protest, it their land, not yours...

• Like 1

Well, I will come out and say what many wont. PTP for all its faults have used the upmost of restraint in dealing with the current crisis and in a very humanitarian manner thus far. At this point I dont see this being about corruption, I see a democratically elected government, voted by the people into power. Both the UN observers, international modertors and Thai moderators agreed on this fact. When they did use force it would have been the same reaction from let's say the British or the Australian governments etc. On this point only and I stress this point.... PTP is acting rather prudently.

Let Thailand sort this out for themselves. Law and order must prevail though in any democracy. The coming days will tell. (Not 3 years ago please) wai2.gif

• Like 1

"We do, I would note, applaud the restraint shown thus far by government authorities in this regard," she said.

Re; US support for PTP.

<wiki> "Thaksin also served on the Asia Advisory Board of the Washington, D.C. based Carlyle Group until he resigned upon becoming Prime Minister in 2001."

Other members of CG include US Presidents, UK Prime Ministers, CIA bosses. Thaksin was 'our man in Asia' and so there is always the undercurrent of US support for him and PTP (imho), despite the fact that he is a wanted fugitive and his party is more crooked than a whole lorryload of corkscrews. Many people have speculated that him being able to travel freely despite having a legit criminal conviction (and more serious cases including ordering mass-murder still pending) is because of his connections to these type of organisations.

Please note, I love USA people and culture, and also I am not criticising the person or institution in the OP. Just saying. Some things are like VD, they never really go away.

Re; the actual sentiments of the OP, obviously they echo basic common-sense and are what everyone else is saying too. Restraint and dialogue is the basic foundation of anything, not just State matters. The sad part is that we are even discussing these basic machine factors at all, when the whole engine should have been chugging along nicely years ago.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Re; US support for PTP.

<wiki> "Thaksin also served on the Asia Advisory Board of the Washington, D.C. based Carlyle Group until he resigned upon becoming Prime Minister in 2001."

Other members of CG include US Presidents, UK Prime Ministers, CIA bosses. Thaksin was 'our man in Asia' and so there is always the undercurrent of US support for him and PTP (imho), despite the fact that he is a wanted fugitive and his party is more crooked than a whole lorryload of corkscrews. Many people have speculated that him being able to travel freely despite having a legit criminal conviction (and more serious cases including ordering mass-murder still pending) is because of his connections to these type of organisations.

Please note, I love USA people and culture, and also I am not criticising the person or institution in in the OP. Just saying. Some things are like VD, they never really go away.

Re; the actual sentiments of the OP, obviously they echo basic common-sense and are what everyone else is saying too. Restraint and dialogue is the basic foundation of anything, not just State matters. The sad part is that we are even discussing these basic machine factors at all, when the whole engine should have been chugging along nicely years ago.

Whenever one reads of some bizarre theory involving Thaksin - "our man in Asia",the Carlyle Group and the US bias to the PTP one recognises the influence of demented conspiracy theorists.The most prominent of these in Thailand is one Tony Cartalcci (not his real name) who is crazier than a box of frogs.He is an enthusiastic propagandist for the North Korean and Syrian dictatorships.

As to the State Department comments it does not require much intelligence to see the US is not expressing any preference, simply giving credit that so far the violence has beeen very limited.No need to read anything more into it.

I don't think it is just the U.S who is applauding they way Yingluk is handling the situation but most governments and the U.N seem to have the same opinion.

I think they are applauding the fact that the authorities here haven't resorted to the sort of violence and tactics seen in Ukraine against protesters.

I don't see any government has singled Yingluck out specifically for her handling and leadership, or her brother and "advisor".

Those of us here, and who have been here a long time know very well the reasons why she is having to tread very softly.

If you believe she is making the decisions, running the country and acting like this out of care for the people and love of her country then good luck to you,

Of course, the people doing the random shootings at the anti-government protesters must be third party troublemakers, or agent provacateurs from within. The peace loving, not hungry for power PM/DM would never allow this behavior from her supporters.

• Like 1

"Harf said that US officials were working with a "full range" of players "to encourage dialogue and a peaceful democratic transition."

What the hell has it got to do with the US? Why don't they keep there big noses out of other peoples business. I am sick of hearing the US thinks this, the US thinks that.

99% of North Americans don't even know where Thailand is and sure as hell don't understand the politics.

Thailand has far more in common with China. Lets here what they think!

• Like 2

Why are so many quick to knock the US for releasing this statement? The US is obviously praising Thailand for its restraint knowing very well that all the while there is not too much violence here, their citizens are relatively safe. It's only saying what most other western countries have already.wink.png

Some people hate the US so much, they will seize on any thin excuse to spew their venom. Free speech, rock on. We can take a punch.

Well, I will come out and say what many wont. PTP for all its faults have used the upmost of restraint in dealing with the current crisis and in a very humanitarian manner thus far. At this point I dont see this being about corruption, I see a democratically elected government, voted by the people into power. Both the UN observers, international modertors and Thai moderators agreed on this fact. When they did use force it would have been the same reaction from let's say the British or the Australian governments etc. On this point only and I stress this point.... PTP is acting rather prudently.

Let Thailand sort this out for themselves. Law and order must prevail though in any democracy. The coming days will tell. (Not 3 years ago please) wai2.gif

The only reasons they do not 'crackdown' is because the army refuses to do so because they can see the protests for what they are, the best thing for the country at the moment. You can argue about bias but that is all crap. Taksin is toxic and he needs to be removed from the country and what happens here before there can be any healing and reforms to make the country better.

Also Yingluck doesn't want to be branded a murderer as Taksin and PT have tried to do to AV and ST.

However they have their 'third hand' that has been trying hard to attack protestors in the dead of night....

• Like 1

The only reasons they do not 'crackdown' is because the army refuses to do so because they can see the protests for what they are, the best thing for the country at the moment. You can argue about bias but that is all crap. Taksin is toxic and he needs to be removed from the country and what happens here before there can be any healing and reforms to make the country better.

Also Yingluck doesn't want to be branded a murderer as Taksin and PT have tried to do to AV and ST.

However they have their 'third hand' that has been trying hard to attack protestors in the dead of night....

What is the 3rd hand?????

Typical Clap-Trap from the US State Department. Let them sort out their own problems before they offer advice to Thailand.

Obama, Hillary Clinton and current Sec. Of State, "LURCH" have so far failed to nail anyone for the murder of a US Ambassador and three others by Muslim Radicals.

Fix up your own problems first Mister President!

Why the heck is it the US who always has to make a public statement condemning or applauding foreign governments. It isn't as if they need our permission to run their countries. I mean really. I have no clue how to respond to the current events (other than with words not allowed on public TV if they close the freekin airport before I get there on the 16th).

Because the US sends Thailand around $15,000,000 a year in financial aid.

Re; US support for PTP.

Please note, I love USA people and culture, and also I am not criticising the person or institution in the OP. Just saying. Some things are like VD, they never really go away.

coffee1.gif

You say: "...he is a wanted fugitive and his party is more crooked than a whole lorryload of corkscrews. Many people have speculated that him being able to travel freely despite having a legit criminal conviction (and more serious cases including ordering mass-murder still pending) is because of his connections to these type of organisations.... Some things are like VD, they never really go away."

I disagree, and many people in Isaan and the north also disagree with your extreme opinions about Mr Thaksin. Probably he is no "Mr Clean" and he was a skilful businessman, but a bit of self-help never bothered Thai elites before now. Your real problem with Mr Thaksin is that he helped the workers - previously your peasants.

Thailand is a formal treaty ally of the United States - the US's oldest Asia treaty ally, as the OP points out.

That's right. Australians know who they have to kiss up to in a crisis. Notice how some readers think it an all-weather mistake to march on the US embassy, regardless of shirt colour. Think that yellow might make some loud unfavourable statements calling for the Americans to stick it? I would seriously doubt it. America has pretty much fluffed its relations with so many other nations but that familiar anti-US undercurrent never surfaces here for long. 1833 is a long time ago. Besides, the toilets here are American Standard.

And with my last few words, this story is Finnish.