Bangkok's peaceful protest surprises tourists

webfact

Bangkok's peaceful protest surprises tourists
By Digital Content

13896641238312.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 14 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was instructed to post photos of Bangkok shutdown on its online media to show the world the non-violent political protest in the capital, a senior official said.

Somsak Pureesrisak, Tourism and Sports Minister, said the Tourist’s Friend Centre, specially set up to deal with the massive protest in Bangkok, received few requests for assistance from tourists yesterday thanks to peaceful rallies citywide.

He said tourists were interested in taking photographs of the demonstrations at various spots in Bangkok.

Mr Somsak said hotel bookings in Bangkok have dropped from the normal pre-Chinese New Year period at 90 per cent to 40 per cent, and most of the cancellations were from Chinese tour groups who like to do shopping in the capital.

Tourist arrivals at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports have decreased from 52,000 people in November to 49,000 people in December and 47,000 people in January – a 20 per cent drop from the same months last year.

He said the number of foreigners entering Thailand for medical treatment has also declined.

Among 68 countries surveyed by the ministry, 45 have advised their citizens to avoid visiting Thailand during the political unrest. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-14

• Like 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The PDRC is showing the world that Thailand can protest peacefully too. This is very welcome news for the world and should improve Thailand's image.

Just as the PAD before them. There was a YT video doing the rounds of an elderly American man, in America, praising the peaceful nature of the rally (up until some Taksin hired redshirt thugs were brought in to stir things up a bit), to ensure Taksin wouldn't return, and saying 'perhaps these Thais can show us how to demonstrate peacefully.'

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was instructed to post photos of Bangkok shutdown on its online media to show the world the non-violent political protest in the capital, a senior official said.

Instructed by whom ???

Also how do they have the Jan figures complete ??

This method is sometimes used.post-9891-0-24248700-1389669328.jpg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was instructed to post photos of Bangkok shutdown on its online media to show the world the non-violent political protest in the capital, a senior official said.

Instructed by whom ???

Excellent question.

The statistics mentioned are interesting but in my opinion do not accurately display whats really happening out there in the Bar and Restaurant trade. Hotels are taking a huge hit thats for sure but so are the Bars and Restaurants. I think you will find many establishments will not be able to make rent over the next 6 months and be forced to close. The Bars east of Asoke along Soi's 20, 22, 31, 33 etc are DEAD! I have been told by some owners they are lucky to take 1000 baht a night.

Bangkok will bounce back for sure but it might take a very long time. I have been told other Thai tourists spots are bursting at the seams. Bangkok is broken and the cost and time to repair it will well exceed anything already forcasted. This downturn in trade will go on for a very long time.

Edited by noddy77
  • Like 1

This article is tripe Thai news. It makes statements without facts. Headlines without context defense. The artcile has no quotes or interviews with tourists who were "surprise." It has no supporting documentation to back up this claim. This is tripe propaganda.

Somsak Pureesrisak, Tourism and Sports Minister, said the Tourist’s Friend Centre, specially set up to deal with the massive protest in Bangkok, received few requests for assistance from tourists yesterday thanks to peaceful rallies citywide.

There are more articles mentioning that tourists go to protests areas to take pictures. Get out of your cave and maybe go have a look yourself. You will come to the same conclusion. smile.png

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

The general rule of thumb is that protests are messy business. But this particular protest has become a model for them. It is peaceful, exuberant, and in an unintentional seal of approval from the administration, is now not only being plugged as a peaceful demonstration, but the protest has now even become a tourist destination ! If anything, the path towards victory for the protests now seems clear, as the administration has now backed itself further into a corner regarding the contemplation of future retaliation. This makes it much, much more difficult for them to assume that stance. The aim of the protest is to wear the administration down, and it's inevitable that that will happen at some point. The remarkable and noteworthy thing is that it is doing so through peaceful means. And what we have been seeing on TV has really told the tale. Some will look at the protest with bemused scepticism, take out their abacus and say " Did you see that photo ? Look ! Look ! There's only five people under that tree ! " But for normal observers, it is quite a spectacle. And a remarkable one at that. Imagine, masses of people on the streets having a great time, waving flags and blowing whistles. And that - is the power of the people.

Spot on!

This time, i agree with TAT, people will remember the protests of 2010 and the burning of BKK by the reds. Leaders on stage talking about benzine and making BKK burn. Now these protests are different, while i do admit there has been violence to but not on the same scale.

How much violence was there on day 1 of the red protest ??

And how much military force was used against them ??

Apples and oranges so far no..

Oh come on don't go there. Don't compare a violent mob that killed, looted and burned down parts of Bangkok with peaceful protestors. Bangkok's image is luckily improving so no need to make up stories again LivingLOS

Lets get through this and see how evenly they are treated by the authorities first shall we.

This time, i agree with TAT, people will remember the protests of 2010 and the burning of BKK by the reds. Leaders on stage talking about benzine and making BKK burn. Now these protests are different, while i do admit there has been violence to but not on the same scale.

peacefully demonstrated today... BUT TOMORROW? May not be so peaceful

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

peacefully demonstrated today... BUT TOMORROW? May not be so peaceful

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Interesting analysis marcus. Keep them coming. thumbsup.gif

Protests can suddenly become dangerous and violent. Opposing sides. Opposing opinions and goals. Ill intentioned trouble makers.

Most of us have been in places where everything seemed normal, then suddenly all "Hell brakes loose".

At the moment it appears as tho a boring "stalemate". Each side trying to wait the other out to give up.

Can't see either side giving up. Unfortunately tempers will flare and/or one side will make a move at an "end game".

This time and all the other recent Protests have all started relatively calmly with some pre-protest incidents.

Without warning, things Exploded.

I fear this this Protest will be no different than before.

Edited by KimoMax
  • Like 2

Really sad to see that so many people here on TV can't stand the fact that current protests are for 99%peaceful. I also don't believe the protests will turn violent because they have the numbers. The Red protest turned violent because of the relatively small number of protestors. They had to get violent in order for the security forces to come out and then they could conveniently tell the world that Abhisit likes to kill his own people. That was all Thaksin needed at the time.

2010, a lesson how it shouldn't be done, 2013-14, a lesson how it should be done. But again, you need the numbers.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1