Security tightens amid threats to detain PM Yingluck

webfact

Security tightens amid threats to detain PM

BANGKOK, 15 January 2014 (NNT) - Security has been tightened near Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s residence following threats from People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban to detain the Premier.

Mr Suthep had told his supporters that he plans to cut the power and water to her residence before proceeding to hold Ms Yingluck hostage.

Deputy National Police Commissioner Gen Worapong Chewprecha said police are beefing up security measures to protect the premier and her cabinet members.

More security personnel have also been dispatched to guard the Securities Exchange of Thailand and AEROTHAI amid looming threats of occupation.

According to the deputy National Police Commissioner, he is not concerned over the PDRC’s plans to shut down government offices on Wednesday as extra measures have been taken to prepare for the move.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-15 footer_n.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupid part of this is, do you really believe the PM and her ministers are sitting around at home watching TV and waiting for the protesters to come to there homes and capture them.

Well not at the moment, but when her favourite soap comes on at 8pm she'll be glued to the telly.

• Like 1

I myself am sympathetic toward the protesters, however it's crap like this that makes a movement lose its legitimacy. Why does practacly all these idiot leaders on any side come up with ridicules not to mention completely criminal ideas like this. Keep it peaceful please.

• Like 2

Well Suthep's definitely lost it. But now what? The worst that can happen is that the shinaclan can stay in power a few more years. That would be enough time for the missunderstood fugitive to suck out billions and billions more out of the country.

Let's be fair. Yingluck has been in the custody of her brother now for around two and a half years much the same as the Thai people have been too.whistling.gif

snarky, failed attempts to be clever aside....

seriously, threats from the LEADER of the protest to detain the PM of a country are so far over the line AND... nobody bats an eye.

in ANY country, that is grounds for immediate arrest. free speech, right to assemble- sure. threats to the police HQ to take down barricades or they will be stormed, threats to detain (read: take hostage) PM and cabinet members should not be tolerated by anyone- including people like Abhisit.

although i'll be attacked- i am neutral on this whole thing except i am always on the side of democracy and elected officials vs people appointing themselves leaders.

so, a yellow supporter- please.... tell me.... what action, in your opinion, would be stepping over the line? killing her? torture? just curious. please keep in mind, SHE WAS ELECTED!!!

i am far from thrilled at who the elected 'leader' of my country is- he's a bad joke and terrible for the nation. but, somehow, my fellow citizens were stupid enough to elect this clown. so be it. that's democracy.

if the privileged minority want to win elections in Thailand, then do what party's do in any democracy- broaden your base. let some wealth make it to the people 'beneath' you, and you'll pull from the other side. seems to me Thailand needs 'orange' not yellow or red. but seizing power and appointing yourself and committee or your cronies as leaders to change the .constitution in your favour.... really?

something tells me all the farang on TV who feel all this craziness is ok, would not feel the same if a minority crackpot was threatening to take the head of state in their home country hostage. yes or no?

c'mon, be honest.

Was she actually elected.....I think Selected...

"Following the general election, the first separate session of the House of Representatives was held in the morning of 5 August to select a new Prime Minister.[39] 296 of the 500 members of parliament voted to approve the premiership of Yingluck Shinawatra, three disapproved, and 197 abstained. Four Democrat lawmakers were absent." Wikipedia

• Like 1

Not worthy, Suthep, to dirty your hands or your supporters hands to detain a puppet like Yingluck.

Instead try to catch and bring to justice her criminal brother as he is the mastermind behind all wrong doings in Thai politics.

Edited by Costas2008

Let's be fair. Yingluck has been in the custody of her brother now for around two and a half years much the same as the Thai people have been too.whistling.gif

snarky, failed attempts to be clever aside....

seriously, threats from the LEADER of the protest to detain the PM of a country are so far over the line AND... nobody bats an eye.

in ANY country, that is grounds for immediate arrest. free speech, right to assemble- sure. threats to the police HQ to take down barricades or they will be stormed, threats to detain (read: take hostage) PM and cabinet members should not be tolerated by anyone- including people like Abhisit.

although i'll be attacked- i am neutral on this whole thing except i am always on the side of democracy and elected officials vs people appointing themselves leaders.

so, a yellow supporter- please.... tell me.... what action, in your opinion, would be stepping over the line? killing her? torture? just curious. please keep in mind, SHE WAS ELECTED!!!

i am far from thrilled at who the elected 'leader' of my country is- he's a bad joke and terrible for the nation. but, somehow, my fellow citizens were stupid enough to elect this clown. so be it. that's democracy.

if the privileged minority want to win elections in Thailand, then do what party's do in any democracy- broaden your base. let some wealth make it to the people 'beneath' you, and you'll pull from the other side. seems to me Thailand needs 'orange' not yellow or red. but seizing power and appointing yourself and committee or your cronies as leaders to change the .constitution in your favour.... really?

something tells me all the farang on TV who feel all this craziness is ok, would not feel the same if a minority crackpot was threatening to take the head of state in their home country hostage. yes or no?

c'mon, be honest.

In any other country you would be 100% right, But TiT

Though I wonder how much of a head of state Yingluck is, when she seems absent most of the time.

but seizing power and appointing yourself and committee or your cronies as leaders to change the .constitution in your favour.... really?

It seems there are as many cronies in the government as well? And who was it that tried to change the constitution in their favour< which has lead to the current situation?

• Like 2

If they let anything like this happen Thailand will be the complete laughing stock of the world.

And a question posed in another thread as to whether Thailand is mature enough to be a member of the AEC will have been answered well and truly

I don't understand this, I thought that the young lady has been fired unconditionally by the minority, so why bother with all this nonsense, just get on with the job of trying to overwhelm the majority.

"........something tells me all the farang on TV who feel all this craziness is ok, would not feel the same if a minority crackpot was threatening to take the head of state in their home country hostage. yes or no?"

Your point is valid, except no-one here is threatening H.M. the King who is head of state..

Any suggestion of kidnapping or harming Yingluck or anyone else for that matter is also OTT.

However the crackpot causing all this trouble is living the life of Riley in Dubai , while another crackpot leads a crusade to end his meddling.

The craziness is not OK but farangs on the forum are divided in their opinions of who is right and who is wrong. Apart from some occasionally vitriolic posts members agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Oh don't the red-nose a_rse lickers just love this, up in arms because someone has threatened their beloved clone, whereas they were all quite as lambs when one of their crazy idiots threatened the police chief with capture or even better still the death of his daughters.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/696194-threat-to-thai-army-chief-prayuths-daughters/page-4

But what else would you expect.

"........something tells me all the farang on TV who feel all this craziness is ok, would not feel the same if a minority crackpot was threatening to take the head of state in their home country hostage. yes or no?"

Your point is valid, except no-one here is threatening H.M. the King who is head of state..

Any suggestion of kidnapping or harming Yingluck or anyone else for that matter is also OTT.

However the crackpot causing all this trouble is living the life of Riley in Dubai , while another crackpot leads a crusade to end his meddling.

The craziness is not OK but farangs on the forum are divided in their opinions of who is right and who is wrong. Apart from some occasionally vitriolic posts members agree to disagree.

This is my "Home Country" and the quicker Yingluck packs her bags and joins her brother in Dubai, the better! wai2.gif

• Like 2

You know, over the last few days the truly frightful thought has occurred to me several times that if Suthep and his bunch get their way, we might not be so far from the "death squads" which characterised some Latin American regimes in the last century. My God I hope not

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Oh don't the red-nose a_rse lickers just love this, up in arms because someone has threatened their beloved clone, whereas they were all quite as lambs when one of their crazy idiots threatened the police chief with capture or even better still the death of his daughters.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/696194-threat-to-thai-army-chief-prayuths-daughters/page-4

But what else would you expect.

Your posts might carry more authority and credibility if you were not so foul mouthed. This is your second post in minutes containing unnecessary profanities.

You know, over the last few days the truly frightful thought has occurred to me several times that if Suthep and his bunch get their way, we might not be so far from the "death squads" which characterised some Latin American regimes in the last century. My God I hope not Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We have already seen the Taksin death squads and what they can and did do, what makes you think that's going to happen again and who are they going to target?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In what civilized country would this threat not illegal and the perpetrator not immediately arrested?

Suthep cries out corruption But wait a sec, Just what corrupt actions has Yingluk had charges filed for?

Now how about Suthep? can you tell me what corrupt actions he has been caught doing? EZ take a look in Wikipedia,

• Shady land deals
  • Election commission to request to Disqualify as MP for due constitutional violation
  • Many members of his own party have long complained of his corrupt and unethical behavior
  • 2013 protestor deaths
  • Threats to detain political rep's, the caretaker PM, and veiled threats to M's children and wives.
  • Demanding Yingluk to step down as caretaker PM, which is against the law and then she could be charged with abandoning her post,
  • and to leave Thailand, By what divine right dose he have to tell another Thai person to get out of the country???
  • Wow what a fantastic representation of Thai politics too the rest of the world.
  • Like 2

Whilst I don't personally agree with all the recent threats of "kidnap", "hostage" etc, it is the "Thai" way of doing things and the precedent has been set many many times in recent years, on both sides.

It would be great to see one/both/any side in this behaving with a little more maturity, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask for.

I'd love to see a 3rd party step into this and campaign/debate on "the issues" and be a bit more "statesman-like" as they do in more mature "democracies", but unfortunately that just doesn't get anyone's attention here.

i agree that the incredibly arrogant and stupid attempt at that amnesty bill is what opened the door to this lunatic having an opening (a very big opening!) to start this mess.

but, at this point, he and his agenda are out of control. if he actually had popular support, new elections would do the trick. a better political party would have been able to take what the PM did and, with new elections called, defeat her. you've got middle class and elites on your side. rice farmers pissed at the government. geesh, be a politician and get out the vote. shutting down government offices and threatening storming police and taking the PM and cabinet as hostages... he should be in jail. appealing to only your lunatic fringe isn't going to do anything for the country.

right now i think there is a very conscious effort by ST to avoid escalating. if not, there would be a ton of red shirts in BKK, not just marching in CM and KK. But when this lunatic crosses the line, they're not going to lay down in the provinces and take it. then the shit will really hit the fan and the army will have no choice. but that will solve nothing, and the Army chief has said as much already.

getting hard to envision this NOT ending badly. and at that, it won't be ending, it will be the beginning of a new stage, highly unlikely to be a step forward

Not worthy, Suthep, to dirty your hands or your supporters hands to detain a puppet like Yingluck.

Instead try to catch and bring to justice her criminal brother as he is the mastermind behind all wrong doings in Thai politics.

The "mastermind behind all wrong doings in Thai politics.".

You might want to rethink that one. I'm definitely no fan of Dr. T, but corruption and "wrong doings in Thai politics", was going on before Thaksin was anything more than a lustful gleam in his father's eye.

It's extremely annoying to hear time and time again that corruption was going on long before so that somehow justifies it to continue.

The question I have for you is when then should it stop if not now?

Short memories the ex-pats do have. 2010, Abhisit assaulted by redshirts at government house, shoulder is injured. 2012, in Chiang Mai, 30 redshirts prevent Abhisit's car from leaving, say they will detain him, and then throw stones at car. It doesn't justify what Suthep threatened, but a little history lesson seems warranted under the circumstances.

Yes your quite right,,, the difference is there was no such threat made by the party leader of the day were in this case Suthep has.....

• Like 1