High cost of ticket change

Lefty

I purchased a discounted business class (p fare) roundtrip ticket Bangkok-Houston-Bangkok on United Airlines. Total cost $3517.00 all in. Due to medical procedures taking longer than expected, I had to change my return date and this is where the problem came in. The change fee was $181.00 which I have no problem with and was expecting a small or no change in ticket cost-maybe another couple of hundred dollars. I was in for a surprise as the extra cost for the ticket was $4574.00 ,more than the cost of the original round trip ticket. I ended up having to pay full fare one way business class ticket rather than small extra for the discounted P class ticket. Is this the way ticket changes are now handled.

Lefty

Not only do they hit you for the change fee, you also have to pay the difference between the current price for the new ticket. If you bought your original ticket online at a discount, that can really hurt.

I can't count the number of United and Delta international ticket segments I've just burned because changing them cost more than going to Orbitz and buying a whole new R/T itinerary. If it's not too late, you may want to consider that.

I was tickled pink to find out that Asiana allowed one change on the return flight at no charge, even on a deeply discounted economy class ticket. Not sure they still do, but that's who I fly if they're going my way, and I still get the miles. My guess is that other airlines offer the same, but I don't know which ones.

I feel for you.

Edited by impulse

I bought 2 UA coach tickets 2 years ago. Due to a variety of reasons, had to change the tickets. I got hit with a charge for changing them, but the fares had actually gone down. So in the end, it cost me almost nothing for the change. I was very, very lucky. This was Vegas to Bangkok.

I can't believe the change was that big. That's horrible. Wasted money and probably a lost customer.

Is this the way ticket changes are now handled.

Yes, and it has been that way since discounted first and business fares were introduced.

There are many paid business class fare buckets on UA: C/J/D/P/Z. (There are also upgrade and award buckets.)

Z and P are discounted with strict APEX (advanced purchase) requirements.

If you re-issue a ticket, with or without a fee associated, one has to have inventory available in the original fare bucket. My best guess is that it was not available, or you could not meet the APEX requirement, so you had to buy-up to next available fare bucket. This is a risk associated with purchasing discounted fares, but understand you may not have thought to consider that possibility.

That said, some options include: managing your travel plans proactively, never purchase a ticket unless your plans are firm, or you are willing to pay more, investigating medical/health/bereavement options, taking advantage of weather/schedule waivers, investigating other travel dates.

Given a medical condition I suspect UA would have made some additional accommodations?