Cameraman threatened and detained by 'PDRC guards'

webfact

MEDIA
Cameraman threatened

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A Nation Multimedia Group photographer was physically threatened and detained briefly last night by a group of men who claimed to be security guards working for the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee.

The incident took place at the rally site near Lumpini Park, as Thanis Sudto was covering the protest. The victim said a group of around 10 men tried to drag him into a dark corner, but was rescued by other PDRC staff after he called for help.

He has filed a complaint with police about the incident.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-17

One person that many Thais have cited as someone I should follow to "understand" the opposition's position is Michael Yon. I guess they think we farang all think alike.

Here is a recent Facebook entry on his page: http://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage/posts/763169057044150

For those who avoid Facebook, it's a entry about John Sparks interviewing Dr. Seri. In it, Michael Yon states that … "The Whistlers are a peaceful lot. If John Sparks tried this at a 2010 Red Shirt rally, there is a strong chance he would be killed within minutes -- or badly wounded."

I remember a couple of foreign journalist injured after the poo hit the paddle. But, I don't recall any incidents of any journalists being attack by "the red mob".

But, during this current rally, by the "peaceful lot", I have lost count of the physical attacks on the press.

BTW,

I believe Michael Yon fits somewhere between Suthep and Abhisit when it comes to impartiality.

Edited by Curt1591

This incident, along with the announcement that the owners of Blue Sky had instructed security guards to confiscate what it alleged where counterfeit rally whistles, illustrates that PDRC security guards are vigilante thugs. It is very hard for me to reconcile how the PDRC says it is going to reform corruption when it tramples on the rights of street vendors and the media. At the FCCT last night, the owner of Blue Sky admitted that the TV station had posted a picture of a media cameraman on its Facebook page and identified him as redshirt supporter. He has been the subject of many threats as a result.

Think that you may have tied your turban too tight. This protest is a conflict and as such there is going to be both conflict and conflicting stories. You paint with a very big brush "trampling the rights of street vendors and the media" however you fail to react to the many cases of violence perpetrated against the protesters.

This is Thailand and it is totally screwed up and it can not and will not be fixed in a day,however there are some people who genuinely want this country to improve and developer and there are those who simply want to milk the system for all it is worth and in this culture it is very difficult to say who is who.

I had to pick my way through the protest crowds a couple days ago on a necessary errand near MBK. The type of person that the PDRC has guarding the entry and exit points are the lowest of thugs. Barely controlled vigilantes. I and my companion were frisked in a most embarrassing manner at one entrance while guards leered and snickered. Same hooligans as 2010, just changed shirt color only. These are the same hired types who will be enforcing Suthep's "New Order," I presume? God help us.

Clearly you do not look like a "normal" farang, or perhaps you were wearing a red shirt and got what you correctly deserved.

I have been to the rally at Rajadamnoern about 10 times, maybe more, and at Lat Phrao these past 4 days (will be 5 today), opened my bag [when I had one] for inspection, just as I do at MRT. No problem at all.

On New Year's Eve the frisk by PDRC Guards were of lower legs and completely free of embarrassment. I was treated no differently from Thai people.

Look in the mirror rather than calling on God

This incident, along with the announcement that the owners of Blue Sky had instructed security guards to confiscate what it alleged where counterfeit rally whistles, illustrates that PDRC security guards are vigilante thugs. It is very hard for me to reconcile how the PDRC says it is going to reform corruption when it tramples on the rights of street vendors and the media. At the FCCT last night, the owner of Blue Sky admitted that the TV station had posted a picture of a media cameraman on its Facebook page and identified him as redshirt supporter. He has been the subject of many threats as a result.

Think that you may have tied your turban too tight. This protest is a conflict and as such there is going to be both conflict and conflicting stories. You paint with a very big brush "trampling the rights of street vendors and the media" however you fail to react to the many cases of violence perpetrated against the protesters.

This is Thailand and it is totally screwed up and it can not and will not be fixed in a day,however there are some people who genuinely want this country to improve and developer and there are those who simply want to milk the system for all it is worth and in this culture it is very difficult to say who is who.

With all due respect, you seem to be mixing apples and mangoes. The source for taking action against the street vendors selling counterfeit goods was Bluesky itself along with and admission of the head of Bluesky for posting a picture of a media cameraman on its Facebook page identifying the person as a red shirt supporter with no facts to support such an allegation. These are not acts of violence, per se, but clearly indicate that Bluesky feels that it can act against the street vendors with no application of the rule of law as well as incite violence against a person in the media - an infringement on an independent press. How are these acts supposed to instill confidence that this movement does not place itself above the law and is equally corrupt as the system it opposes? As for the violence against the protestors, I noted it at the beginning of my post and the basic reason that Suthep should not be arrested is to prevent violence. Lastly, the turban fits just fine.

• Like 2

I had to pick my way through the protest crowds a couple days ago on a necessary errand near MBK. The type of person that the PDRC has guarding the entry and exit points are the lowest of thugs. Barely controlled vigilantes. I and my companion were frisked in a most embarrassing manner at one entrance while guards leered and snickered. Same hooligans as 2010, just changed shirt color only. These are the same hired types who will be enforcing Suthep's "New Order," I presume? God help us.

Clearly you do not look like a "normal" farang, or perhaps you were wearing a red shirt and got what you correctly deserved.

Clearly, you are grasping at straws to whitewash a band of tattooed, long-haired, hard-featured and rude guards who manned the barriers at MBK that day.

I look as normal as the clean-cut university students I teach, and I inadvertently wore a yellow sports shirt that day.

I'm happy you had a good experience uptown, but I prefer not to trust my future to the kind rabble I saw and experienced.

The thing that scares most of us is that these guys are already a law unto themselves.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

Will anyone be surprised by yet another report of thuggery, intimidation and violence by supporters of this so -called reform movement?. No. Another day, another report. And yet leaders of the movement now suggest that foreigners don't understand what is happening because the news is being translated to make the movement look bad . They say the motive is profit? I don't see any unfair reporting of the protests....they speak for themselves in the way they behave

they do indeed speak more about themselves when they spaek. this is why the Government leave them out there to lose support. It also plays hard on the wallets of the Coup backers the longer it goes on. Many of them now are bitterly regretting is as Chinese New year will flop for sure, and this will be Karma on the Thai Chinese that back Suthep.

Meanwhile, the Government get on with the job of stabalising the country. It's not them rioting, itns' not them blocking roads and closing offices, it's not them driving away tourists, its' not them sleeping out in parks and on streets making them smell like open toilets.

Meanwhile back at the PDRC sympathisers, it is another day of knee jerk, non-thought out posts stuck on the end of very well considered posts made by people who have access to more information even than Bluesky.

Cant see a anything other than bile in many posts these days from the Suthep side

Edited by ubonjoe
deleted quote of removed post
  • Like 2

With every day the Yellow Mob and the paid Southerner gets more frustrated.

If they were the red mob, he would have been torn to pieces.

Might be something to do with John Sparks.... The arrogant, backward idiot.

Not sure why people keep saying this. It's not like one irrational mob is better than another but with the PDRC it seems to be the guards themselves responsible for much of it. Beating incidents I can remember that the PDRC (or its fringe groups) have been involved in: the taxi driver after the clash at Thai-Japanese stadium, some teenager on Khao San Road, attacks on red shirts leading up to the RU incident, three or four cops at least beaten up, then the RU incident itself where they beat up several red shirts, one who still couldn't eat solid food as of two weeks ago. It's nothing more than a moral fantasy to keep claiming that whatever the PDRC does, it doesn't matter, because red shirts would be worse.

The people that work as guards at these events are generally from the dregs of society, there is a reason they are hired to provide intimidation and violence for 1,000 baht a day and the rest of us are browsing thaivisa at lunch time. I can't imagine Suthep or the protesters think very much of them either.

So he was rescued by the real PDRC people after being grabbed by someone who claimed to be PDRC.

The thugs are coming out to try to take advantage of the situation.

How do you tell the difference between real and fake PDRC....one has a real , approved whistle and the other a counterfeit? What a farce. Attacking journos from a paper sympathetic to the cause. Does STUPID ring a bell?

Hmm I don't think some members of society realise what stupid is, stupid does and stupid what?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Clearly, you are grasping at straws to whitewash a band of tattooed, long-haired, hard-featured and rude guards who manned the barriers at MBK that day.

I look as normal as the clean-cut university students I teach, and I inadvertently wore a yellow sports shirt that day.

I'm happy you had a good experience uptown, but I prefer not to trust my future to the kind rabble I saw and experienced.

The thing that scares most of us is that these guys are already a law unto themselves.

Oh my goodness now I have read it all " not looking like a normal farang" lol. Seems like a very unnormal post to me from an unnormal farang. Sorry for the new usage of vernacular!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Oh my. The Nation dispatches a photographer to snap some photos of the "heroes of the protest" and the poor chap gets a smack down.

Perhaps the media outlet that has invested so much time and effort on promoting the protests and the cult of Suthep should better co-ordinate with the PDRC when it wants to run one of its PR pieces.

• Like 1

If they were the red mob, he would have been torn to pieces.

Might be something to do with John Sparks.... The arrogant, backward idiot.

Ahh, having a go at trying to wind some people up? I don't think it's working.

You really should engage in some sober thought before posting some of your nonsense as the arrogant backward idiot in this regard is certainly not John Sparks, the respected Asia correspondent, who by the way has put out some sympathetic stories on the protestors.