More bombings and gunfire rock Bangkok's anti-government protests

webfact

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still think it's Bangkok citizens and youth gangs doing most of this. The citizens are fed up with the protest and the youth gangs have nothing better to do. Very little proven it is Red Shirts, but it may be Bangkok citizens who lean towards the Reds. Another group would be rogue military or police.

" Bangkok citizens and youth gangs"

Ummmm. Do you see military grenades and guns at your local 7/11?

I thought not

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So your answering for me now? It's stupid to think that these items can not be gotten on the streets. Next time answer for yourself not for me.

OK - so back up your mouth - where we can buy ping pong bombs? i dont see on the street and I live here in Bangkok much longer than you probably! Or maybe "Si Daeng/11 sell!!!!!!!facepalm.gif

Edited by love1012

The TV news reported the Navy Seals were hired by Suthep & Co..

On what channel?

Not sure. My wife had the remote and she was flipping channels. It was today, at lunch time.

The video was at the cop shop and they showed all the hardware (heavy duty).

Edited by rijb

Exercising your right to protest peacefully is a democratic right. It also appears to be a dangerous thing to do these days.

I agree that protesting peacefully is fine in the right place BUT blocking roads, bridges, causing economic hardship and major inconvience to others etc is not! Protest in a field some place and not in the centre of Bangkok as one gets tired of selfish ass*oles pushing their own agenda without the slightest thought for others!

... drink their beers and enjoy their katoys and girls ...

how does a comment like that help support your arguement? 555

If the military really wanted power, they could have easily hung on to it, the last time, after the coup. I do not believe, that the military has anything to do with this. Neither does Suthep, because if it was ever found out, that he had anything to do with it, it would completely discredit his movement and it would be all over. He would not be that stupid. Besides, he has led peaceful protests, when he could have resorted to violence a long time ago, to overthrow the Country, but it is not his aim to do it violently.

So that leaves, the Red Shirts, the former Government (Caretaker Government), the Police and the Mafia.

Red Shirts, under the guidance of Thaksin, is a possibility, because the protests are gaining momentum and anything his sister has tried to do, to stall the protests, has failed so far. Maybe he figures, by causing some violence (in a limited way), it will deter some supporters from attending the rallies, while not causing enough violence to trigger a coup.

The police, because they tend to loose a lot, if Suthep or his new reform committee take power. They have their hands in all kinds of things, as previously mentioned by anonymous posters. Posting under my real name, I choose not to describe them here, but a lot of you, who have lived in Thailand, for a long time, know anyways.

The Mafia, for the same reason as the police. wai2.gif

Theres total <deleted> out there Mr Gruen and I recommend you change your name and Avatar,Some posters might recognise your style later on,but you could get pulled at Immigration easily, In another SEasian country, I witnessed Beatings, bribes being paid and people being set up to get money extorted by Immigration Officers. Take caution Sir.

I still think it's Bangkok citizens and youth gangs doing most of this. The citizens are fed up with the protest and the youth gangs have nothing better to do. Very little proven it is Red Shirts, but it may be Bangkok citizens who lean towards the Reds. Another group would be rogue military or police.

With M26 grenades?

Yeah you can get them at the 7-11 :D

The last serial bomber turned out to be a hardcore redshirt. His career was cut short when he blew himself and his apartment to bits assembling an IED.

My Thai neighbours regularly go out and randomly shoot somebody or chuck a few grenades when they are annoyed. So it could be anybody, the possibilities are endless.

OTOH if you want to talk probabilities (aka odds) and back your opinion with serious money, you will be just another loser.

• Like 1

Exercising your right to protest peacefully is a democratic right. It also appears to be a dangerous thing to do these days.

I agree that protesting peacefully is fine in the right place BUT blocking roads, bridges, causing economic hardship and major inconvience to others etc is not! Protest in a field some place and not in the centre of Bangkok as one gets tired of selfish ass*oles pushing their own agenda without the slightest thought for others!

So protesting in a place, where the protests have absolutely no effect at all, is fine, so everybody can stay in their nice little bubble, pretend there is nothing wrong, drink their beers and enjoy their katoys and girls and go on with their happy life? Well I'm sorry, I tend to disagree. The purpose of most protests, is to initiate change. In order to get change, you have to get in the Government's face. In this case, in Thaksin's face. Have demonstrations in front of businesses he owns, to reduce his income, shut down Government services, ask friendly Unions to stage a General Strike, to bring this Caretaker Government to it's knees. Keep exposing wrongdoings, that hurt the people of Thailand, e.g. The rice scam and before the borrowing money against land scam.

Personally, I would love to see the Longshoremen come on board and shut down the ports. The railway workers to go on strike, to shut down container traffic on trains and truckers to block highways. It's peaceful and very effective. It would bring this situation to a head really quick.

I don't mind to be put out a little bit and to have to put some things on hold, in my personal life, including travel, it it means, the Country will benefit in the long run.

I see absolutely no benefit coming out of this protest at all. And so how will the country benefit with the likes of Suthep running the show? How will the country benefit with no elections being held? How about all that rice stuck in warehouses rotting because the EC will not allow it to be sold? Farmers unable to get paid, and the list goes on and on. All this inconvenience is achieving nothing except enlarging an already huge problem. Suthep is looking out only for himself, not the people nor the country.

A million protests will never solve Thailand's problems!

They still don't deserve to explosives throw at them!

• Like 1

" Bangkok citizens and youth gangs"

Ummmm. Do you see military grenades and guns at your local 7/11?

I thought not

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So your answering for me now? It's stupid to think that these items can not be gotten on the streets. Next time answer for yourself not for me.

OK - so back up your mouth - where we can buy ping pong bombs? i dont see on the street and I live here in Bangkok much longer than you probably! Or maybe "Si Daeng/11 sell!!!!!!!facepalm.gif

Very easy to make blot bombs with match heads,chlorin and brake fluid and pressure and KA BOOM.

First the threats. Now the violence. Exercising your right to protest peacefully is a democratic right. It also appears to be a dangerous thing to do these days.

Haha funny you use the word democratic for the protesters they dont even know what the word means

I'm surprised that anybody is surprised by this. There will be people blaming red shirts or yellow shirts but unless one of the attackers is caught nobody will know for sure (opinions is not knowing, it's opinions) But looking back over recent history including what's happening in Syria as we speak, it's fair to say most peaceful protests end up in bloodshed, Egypt, Algeria, and of course Thailand. Suthep and his backers would have been well aware of this when they started this campaign yet didn't give a rat's about the consequences nor the trail of inevitable dead bodies to come.

Whatever the underlying reasons, this whole campaign was a bad idea, on more than one level.

Yes, of course. Should just have all kept quiet and let PTP whitewash their boss, bring him home and loot 2.2 trillion. At least their boss was fully aware of the consequences of his 2010 insurrection. "I shall be with you when the first shot is fired" - yeah right.

What would you have done? Kept quiet, drank a cup of tea and waited until their 4 year term was up?

Violence is wrong, but so is lying, cheating, ignoring and breaking the law, and corruption when you are the government, elected or not.

First the threats. Now the violence. Exercising your right to protest peacefully is a democratic right. It also appears to be a dangerous thing to do these days.

Haha funny you use the word democratic for the protesters they dont even know what the word means

and the caretaker government do ?

Something that should be manipulated and strictly controlled, and doesn't include the right of free speech.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that anybody is surprised by this. There will be people blaming red shirts or yellow shirts but unless one of the attackers is caught nobody will know for sure (opinions is not knowing, it's opinions) But looking back over recent history including what's happening in Syria as we speak, it's fair to say most peaceful protests end up in bloodshed, Egypt, Algeria, and of course Thailand. Suthep and his backers would have been well aware of this when they started this campaign yet didn't give a rat's about the consequences nor the trail of inevitable dead bodies to come.

Whatever the underlying reasons, this whole campaign was a bad idea, on more than one level.

Yes, of course. Should just have all kept quiet and let PTP whitewash their boss, bring him home and loot 2.2 trillion. At least their boss was fully aware of the consequences of his 2010 insurrection. "I shall be with you when the first shot is fired" - yeah right.

What would you have done? Kept quiet, drank a cup of tea and waited until their 4 year term was up?

Violence is wrong, but so is lying, cheating, ignoring and breaking the law, and corruption when you are the government, elected or not.

Remember the post i made the other day about certain people financially affected and getting fed up and what might happen ? seems he was right, someones certainly got fed up.

I can't say if is this is the result but i think what Alwyn is saying is there are always consequences.

yes i do think it has to be done in elections and its down to the country to come up with a party that takes away the power from PTP, otherwise you risk violence and plenty will say you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette. This may be true but is stealing money really that important when the alternative are deaths of innocents ?

Personally and in my experience there is no such thing as peaceful and successful protests that change a thing, movements that do work peacefully take time, a long time.

This protest is pushing too hard for things to not escalate. I pray others dont get hurt and would rather see this fought out at the ballot box than on the streets

• Like 1

Ok protest, they have an early election now. That should be an end of it.

Campaign and vote that is what a democracy is!!

If the opposition cant win so be it.

• Like 1

As it happens, yes I do believe the 4 year term should have run it's course. You seem to be of the opinion that Thaksin is the only corrupt person in Thailand. If you take you rose/Suthep tinted glasses off for a moment and go back in history a bit you'll find that Thaksin is/was not the only corrupt person in Thailand. If you read this article which is not anti anybody you might be enlightened a bit sir http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-130114.html

It would seem (not according by what I say but other more informed people than the both of us - I'm including you in the royal 'us' as I'm talking about local stuff here) that Thaksin has done more for this country than any other in recent history. Problem is that he did it by taxing wealthy Thais and of course at the same time using the system to line his pockets beyond belief with his illegal MotorRola and AIS franchises... It's a very interesting read and there's nothing to lose but 5 minutes of your time!

• Like 2

Remember the post i made the other day about certain people financially affected and getting fed up and what might happen ? seems he was right, someones certainly got fed up.

I can't say if is this is the result but i think what Alwyn is saying is there are always consequences.

yes i do think it has to be done in elections and its down to the country to come up with a party that takes away the power from PTP, otherwise you risk violence and plenty will say you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette. This may be true but is stealing money really that important when the alternative are deaths of innocents ?

Personally and in my experience there is no such thing as peaceful and successful protests that change a thing, movements that do work peacefully take time, a long time.

This protest is pushing too hard for things to not escalate. I pray others dont get hurt and would rather see this fought out at the ballot box than on the streets

You said it so much more elquently than me but that's what I getting at - cause and effect etc

Whether I agree with their methods or not I understand their loathing for PT and all the corruption they have brought to govt. The protesters have the right to protest this and show their desire for change in politics.

I think suthep is leading them down the road to fascism, but taking away their right to protest would only be a step towards another form of authoritarian govt.

The violence being used against them shows what will happen if people's rights are taken away, fear and intimidation will be the order of the day. Remind you of any other bully boy gang of street thugs?

Some op here even praise the reds for attacking the protesters.

What type of mentality is that?

No matter which side, violence should be condemned.

But we can understand some particularly OP in TV can comment any rubbish as they like, promoting violence.

Probably the OP is not a Thai citizen, so doesn't care about the killings between the Thai people.

• Like 1

very true

The thais do not like the southern thailand thugs, so they are out to get them.A bit of jealousy too,Suthep is paying more baht, daily to the thugs than the central Bangkok protesters. 700 BAHT a day is handed out to some companies who support the thug,they then make some staff go to the protests