Best Value Android Phone. Any Tips?

NanLaew

I have a dual-SIM phone of an earlier technology that is chore to configure for internet access when hopping between countries and swapping SIMS. My main phone has been an android for many, many years so looking for tips on a good value 'droid smartphone to replace the old dual-SIM one.

It doesn't need to be dual SIM but needs to have a decent sized screen, front & back camera, removable memory, etc.. If there are any gems that do have dual-SIM capability, bonus!

Make, model and cost please.

Thanks,

NL

Edited by NanLaew

Samsung Galaxy Core GT-I8262 Black or white color

7500 Baht +-

Dual Sim (mini sim)

4'3 inches

Camera 5MP

Battery 1800 Mah, my use last 1,5 days with calls. SMS, surfing and music.

Android 4.1.2

Bought this 6 months ago, replaced my older Galaxy S2, similar size, and happy owner.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_core_i8260-5419.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_core-review-972.php

http://www.siamphone.com/en/samsung/galaxy_core.htm

I8260 = 1 sim only - I 8262 = dual sim

Edited by Asia2000

Agree, i use an i-mobile as well, a larger model, cost i think 7500thb, dual sim, quad core, good cams, etc, and does everything i would need...

For the money, i believe i-mobile is best value right now in Thailand...and yes, there is plenty models to pick from.

You might want to look at the I-mobile range. I won't specify a particular model as there are so many of them w00t.gif

I went for the IQX3 and I'm more than happy with it. 18 mega pixel back camera and 8 mega pixel front camera.

It's snappy, looks good and seems quite durable. On the downside it's 5", so quite large but after a couple weeks it now seems normal to me.

I found it online for 8190 baht compared to shop prices of 8790 baht.

+1 for I-Mobile, my IQ 4 have been good so far and the 5" screen is HD. 5" is a must for me nowadays.

The dual sim card slots are very handy for me. I am in China now, so my wife can call to my to my Thai phone no and I phone her on the Chinese sim, perfect. And the same when I am in Singapore, Indonesia and so on.

I paid 8500 last year but think it have dropped to 5000 baht now.

I would consider LG G2.. it's a fantastic phone with superior display. Need waterproof? In that case Sony Z1 Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think this is the same one a friend of mine recently purchased. He has eyesight issues but says this one's display is awesome.

^^

available, but not in Thailand...

Didn't mean to imply these were, from the Play Store that is - there are links in this thread to local, grey-market sources. That said, the OP might be able to get someone to bring/ship him one? Or one could just order (via a VPN) and use a re-shipper.

Just presenting options here.

I kind of like this Moto G, - and didn't know there was a Play Store version - and appreciate the pointer, I think I may get one as a back-up phone during my next trip back to the U.S., in a few weeks.

• Like 1

google if nexus 5 by lg is nice looking phone if you dont mind taking one from the grey market

LG/Thailand localized the N5 (D820 variant) so these are available here in the 'real' market. Current MSRP is 16,900 THB (official product as low as 16,250).

The D821 variant is available from the U.S Play Store for $349 (16 GB) or $399 (32 GB), in case that is an option for the OP. The D821 variant would be fine for Thailand.

There are also Nexus 4's still available here; I think the MSRP is 14,900 but some top-line shops may be discounting these into the 9,900 - 10,500 range.

'Real' SGS3's are widely available; 13,500 MSRP.

Edited by lomatopo

I bought a real sgs 3 for 11,500 at mbk

Yes, some of the box shops are as low as 11,000.

I was simply quoting the current MSRP for reference.

The Moto G is available now on the Play Store, pure Google... 8 GB/$179. 16 GB/$199.

8g are available from Tesco direct in the UK for £89 with an e-coupon and new sign up...

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shows as out of stock currently.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294&searchquery=moto+g&SrchId=4294967294&_requestid=490313#

Not sure if those less expensive versions are somehow tied to a Tesco/UK service provider?

The "SIM-free" versions seem to be 129/149 GBP.

Edited by lomatopo

Yes, some of the box shops are as low as 11,000. I was simply quoting the current MSRP for reference.
The Moto G is available now on the Play Store, pure Google... 8 GB/$179. 16 GB/$199.
8g are available from Tesco direct in the UK for £89 with an e-coupon and new sign up...Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
Shows as out of stock currently. http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294&searchquery=moto+g&SrchId=4294967294&_requestid=490313# Not sure if those less expensive versions are somehow tied to a Tesco/UK service provider? The "SIM-free" versions seem to be 129/149 GBP.
Yes they are on Tesco mobile. £2,04 gets an unlock code from eBay .. ohh and Tesco got the kitkat upgrade before retail phones. Mine is on 4.4 now got the OTA here in Thailand.new stock arriving in UK 24th January according to other websites. Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You might want to look at the I-mobile range. I won't specify a particular model as there are so many of them w00t.gif

I-mobile 5.3 on sale at Tesco 4,990bht.

Quad core, 5" screen, 3000mah battery. Works for 3 days if you don't play games constantly.

All the other I-mobile have a much smaller battery.

11.500 is really good price, great phone.

Cos its from mbk, and maybe no warranty is not really an issus. I never needed a warranty repair, always crack the display, or w laptops water damage, neither cases warranty makes no difference.

OP better save thousands of baht, and buy S3 at mbk, for 11.500 there is no competition

Cos its from mbk, and maybe no warranty is not really an issus. I never needed a warranty repair, always crack the display, or w laptops water damage, neither cases warranty makes no difference.

OP better save thousands of baht, and buy S3 at mbk, for 11.500 there is no competition

There is lots of competition ... and some are cheaper. Some more expensive :D

The S3 is a decent phone but it is a 2012 phone ..soooo old now :P

I would consider LG G2.. it's a fantastic phone with superior display.Need waterproof? In that case Sony Z1 Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Isn't G2 lg's flagship, and around 20.000 baht?

Sony Z1 Sony's top phone, both some of the best Androids at any price, but not best value, far from it, both are some the most expensive Androids.

Value is 5", 1080p and under 10.000 baht

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

for dual sim you need to be careful because some dual sim phones only one of the sim slots is enabled for data.

you mention you travel so i am going to mention some non-Thai models below:

if you can wait, Sony is releasing an "E1 dual" and a "T2 ultra dual", just announced last week, take a look? i don't know if both sim slots allow data but their older model did

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-t2-ultra-dual/

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-e1-dual/

LG offers quite a few dual sim models in Thailand but they seem to be older generation - the "Optimus L5 dual" instead of the "Optimus L5 II dual", for example (which is apparently available in Malaysia)

Thai page listing all android phones with recommended retail pricing: http://www.lg.com/th/smart-phone

Malaysia page: http://www.lg.com/my/lg-optimus

but your specs say you want front facing camera etc so i think this is more up your alley - I have seen it in use in Singapore but it is not listed as officially released in Thailand - the "LG Optimus G Pro Lite Dual":

http://www.lg.com/sg/mobile-phones/lg-G-Pro-Lite-Dual-D686

I've checked the manual for this and it does not mention anywhere that only 1 SIM works for data, so I am thinking it is ok - but I make no warranty or representations so you should confirm with the shop/LG.

Edited by build6

There is lots of competition ... and some are cheaper. Some more expensive :D

The S3 is a decent phone but it is a 2012 phone ..soooo old now :P

Besides the screen resolution/size, camera specs, and CPU speed, in terms of functionality, what can you do with a GS4 that you can't with a S3? Especially if one can get the OTA update to Jelly Bean or Kit Kat it's basically the same as any higher spec current phone's functionality.

If looking to buy an S3, may want to wait a couple months as the S5 will be out soon and the 3s should drop in price a little more.

The S3 is still an up to date spec'd phone in terms of real-world performance, camera quality etc. I'm running an Android 4.4 custom ROM since last November and one of the benefits of 4.4 is that the minimum required RAM for this version has actually decreased from 1GB to just 512 MB. Android 4.4 is running flawlessly on my i9300 with great screen-on time and 2 days battery-life. I stopped following the trend of always buying the newest phones on the market and instead upgrade every 2 years while still running the latest Android version wink.png

There is lots of competition ... and some are cheaper. Some more expensive biggrin.png
The S3 is a decent phone but it is a 2012 phone ..soooo old now tongue.png

• Like 1

The S3 is still an up to date spec'd phone in terms of real-world performance, camera quality etc. I'm running an Android 4.4 custom ROM since last November and one of the benefits of 4.4 is that the minimum required RAM for this version has actually decreased from 1GB to just 512 MB. Android 4.4 is running flawlessly on my i9300 with great screen-on time and 2 days battery-life. I stopped following the trend of always buying the newest phones on the market and instead upgrade every 2 years while still running the latest Android version wink.png

There is lots of competition ... and some are cheaper. Some more expensive biggrin.png

The S3 is a decent phone but it is a 2012 phone ..soooo old now tongue.png

Custom rom because Samsung haven't updated .. but true about 4.4 and ram. And I didn't say it wasn't decent. It is.. just had bad experience with Samsung and updates ..with 4.4 ALL the older phones should be able to run it. As long as the manufacturer keeps off the bloat.