Milk Formula

tigerbeer

Hi everyone,

Have two kids, boy at 2 years 3 months old, daughter at 1 year 4 months old. yes 11 months apart. both of them are on S-26 #3 milk formula by Wyeth. Find it a bit pricey and as i wonder along the aisle's of Carrefour, Lotus etc, cant help but to wonder how the other cheaper milks are. anyone can recommend a good milk thats not too costly?? and also why would you recommend that milk.

Been a few years since we used it, but my only advice is NOT to use any formula containing sugar, honey or other sweetener. You are only storing up guaranteed problems for later.

p1p any particular recommended brands?

I honestly can't remember which we used. Will ask the Mrs. when she wakes up! :o

You should be aware that changing the formula is likely to cause tummy upsets. So it may be best to stay with what is working now, despite the cost.

Alternitively, ask your paediatrician. The Dr. is sure to have some knowledge of the matter.

Try not to introduce cows milk into the diet at this age. It is very hard to digest and really not particularly good for us humans, particularly if pasteurised or, even worse, homogenised.

I repeat my advice above - Please, Please, Please do not give the children anything containing refined sugar at this age. It will feed a life-long addiction, almost impossible to break and is the first step to many chronic health problems including Obesity, Diabetes and many others.

EDIT - Just asked the Mrs. Seems we used the same milk as above. Recommended by the Paediatrician.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone,

Have two kids, boy at 2 years 3 months old, daughter at 1 year 4 months old. yes 11 months apart. both of them are on S-26 #3 milk formula by Wyeth. Find it a bit pricey and as i wonder along the aisle's of Carrefour, Lotus etc, cant help but to wonder how the other cheaper milks are. anyone can recommend a good milk thats not too costly?? and also why would you recommend that milk.

What's "pricey" to you may not be to others. What's your definition of "pricey"?

My daughter, who is 4 years old now, drinks Dumex Hi-Q 3 Plus, which contains fish oils and fibre, at 51 baht for a pack of four. Prior to this formula being introduced, she drank Dumex 3. This is still available at about 43 baht per pack of four.

There is also Dumex Hi-Q 1 Plus, or the cheaper Dumex 1, for your younger child.

I know that the powder formula is cheaper than the pre-mixed cartons but, for convenience, you can't beat the latter and, to me, the extra convenience is great.

Just a really dumb question but why is a two year ol d drinking formula??? why not cow or goat or buffalo milk; the first year, yes but by the second year the child is eating solids and eating mostly everything except for nuts etc (for choking hazards)....so for allergy problems etc it already doesnt matter unless child rearing is different thne here (israel, or america for that matter)... or is it because thailands milk doesnt fit children??? (sanitation or something?).... just curiuos

• Thumbs Up 1

What is wrong with consumption of cow's milk?

Apart from the well known and common lactose alergy or intolerance, the fats and proteins in cow's milk are actually very hard to digest for both children and adults.

Health problems such as childhood diabetes, obesity, bowel disease, osteoporosis, heart disease, cataracts, colic, ear infections, hyperactivity, and cancer have all been linked to consumption of, among other things, cow's milk.

Few of the proteins meant for baby cows are found naturally in human mother’s milk, indeed the proteins in cow’s milk are different from human milk proteins and cause problems of digestion, intolerance, impaired absorption of other nutrients, and autoimmune reactions. Even the high protein content in cow’s milk creates problems.

Human babies need the saturated fats and cholesterol in mother’s milk. Bovine milk fat is not appropriately composed for human babies and is only deleterious to the health of children.

Cow hormones are not meant for humans and cows have been selectively bred over time to create high levels of these hormones. (The cows producing the most milk also produce the most hormones.)

Cows also concentrate pesticides and pollutants into their milk fat and the high amount of drugs now given to cows adds to this chemical soup.

Dairy’s high calcium causes relative deficiencies in magnesium and other bone-building minerals, and its high phosphorus and animal protein reduces calcium availability causing, over the long term, increased susceptibility to osteoporosis.

Human milk and vegetable sources are superior to dairy for calcium and other nutrients in almost every way.

• Like 1

Both my kids were on Dumex. Not for the price, but for the ingredients. We looked at the ingredients of Nestle, which is what others had recommended to us, but all their formulas contained palm oil and coconut oil. The Dumex brand has neither of those. Instead it uses fish oils and rapeseed oil. But definitely NO sugar. My oldest spent a lot of time with a babysitter until he was 2, who ended up giving him loads of sugar and now he loves everything sweet. :o Fortunately he hasn't got any teeth problems and we make sure he gets enough exercise that he's not overweight. My youngest son has basically never spent much time with a babysitter (not including daycare, but they don't give them junk food there) and so hasn't been exposed to sweet milk products. He will refuse to drink sweet milk and vitamilk and hardly even cares for ice cream and cake. Oddly enough, though, he's having problems with his teeth, despite the fact that he brushes them, and doesn't eat many sweets, and hasn't had a bottle since he was 1 and a half. :D It goes back to the thread that was started a while ago about whether cavity prone teeth are genetic or a result of poor dental hygiene....

Cheers

TT

I'm not an expert on child rearing so I have to take advice from others but in everything I've ever read on the internet, in books, or been told by doctors, early childhood experts, etc etc, it is only bad to give cow's milk to infants under the age of 12 months. After 12 months, as far as I'm aware, it is safe. In saying that, I still waited til my son was about 16 months before introducing him to cow's milk and did so slowly by mixing with his formula little by little. He now happily drinks cow's milk or formula. (He's 19 months). Usually, but only because I'm lazy, he drinks formula in the mornings when he wakes up (cos I can keep it in the bedroom and don't have to go downstairs to prepare it) and fresh milk in the evenings. He's just gone off daytime bottles. I'm hoping to have him weaned from a bottle completely by 2 as it's terrible for their teeth (the sucking action of the bottle aims the fluid directly at the back of their teeth rather than onto the tongue like drinking from a cup).

Anyhow, to answer your question .... the formula I've used since he was about 5 months old is 'Enfalac' (under 12 months) or 'Enfapro' for the over 12 months (plus they have other versions). I originally used the one you do but it did not react well with him so changed to this one. I always buy the refill bags rather than the tins as it's much cheaper. I also use Dumex sachets which are really convenient when going out or travelling. Fresh milk is the cheapest, though.

:o What about some soy milk if you want to avoid cows? Both my girls were on formula for the first year and as soon as they passed the magical 12 months it was straight onto cow juice for them. Cheaper and more convenient - most places will have a bottle/carton even if it is sterilised.

latest recommendations here in the child rearing world in israel is that soy milk causes over developed hormones cant remember which and what but can be googled like 'dangers of soy milk for your child' etc, but now all the YUPPy type young parents are avoiding soy milks at all costs and are going back to goat milk if their kid cant drink cow milk(after 1 yr of age)....i cant keep up with the fashions in child rearing health :o

It would be good if we could have a comprehensive list of available brands in Thailand. I asked a question awhile back about availability of farleys, which no one answered, so any chance of getting some brand names? so i know if i can get the same milk in the uk before we come or if i need to bring a ready supply. :o

It would be good if we could have a comprehensive list of available brands in Thailand. I asked a question awhile back about availability of farleys, which no one answered, so any chance of getting some brand names? so i know if i can get the same milk in the uk before we come or if i need to bring a ready supply. :o

Hi Daley, no "Farleys" in Thailand mate but there are some excellent and equivalent alternatives, both in powder form and ready prepared. No need to bring our own but I can understand your desire to maintain the same formula.

You might find that the same company markets the equivalent of "Farleys" here but under a different name, as "Farleys" might be difficult for Thai people to pronounce...or even mean something rude in Thai.

Hi Daley, no "Farleys" in Thailand mate but there are some excellent and equivalent alternatives, both in powder form and ready prepared. No need to bring our own but I can understand your desire to maintain the same formula.

You might find that the same company markets the equivalent of "Farleys" here but under a different name, as "Farleys" might be difficult for Thai people to pronounce...or even mean something rude in Thai.

Thanks mate, now i know they dont sell farleys, do you know what brands are available? Hoping to get him changed over before we get to Thailand, but it might just be as easy to bring 3 or 4 tins with us, if they allow it. I remeber watching a program awhile back, when foot and mouth was a problem and they banned all powdered milk from leaving the country, dont know if those rules still stand, anybody know? :D

Thanks mate, now i know they dont sell farleys, do you know what brands are available? Hoping to get him changed over before we get to Thailand, but it might just be as easy to bring 3 or 4 tins with us, if they allow it. I remeber watching a program awhile back, when foot and mouth was a problem and they banned all powdered milk from leaving the country, dont know if those rules still stand, anybody know? :o

I can't see any problem about bringing some milk powder with you. The foot and mouth restrictions have been relaxed for some time now but there is always a query about taking foodstuffs into the UK. When do you plan to arrive in Thailand?.......Let me know and I'll have a look at what's available here for you. My daughter was born in Thailand; she is now a strapping and healthy 4-year old and has been raised on 'Dumex' throughout.......Our kids are worth the best.

Thanks mate, now i know they dont sell farleys, do you know what brands are available? Hoping to get him changed over before we get to Thailand, but it might just be as easy to bring 3 or 4 tins with us, if they allow it. I remeber watching a program awhile back, when foot and mouth was a problem and they banned all powdered milk from leaving the country, dont know if those rules still stand, anybody know? :o

I can't see any problem about bringing some milk powder with you. The foot and mouth restrictions have been relaxed for some time now but there is always a query about taking foodstuffs into the UK. When do you plan to arrive in Thailand?.......Let me know and I'll have a look at what's available here for you. My daughter was born in Thailand; she is now a strapping and healthy 4-year old and has been raised on 'Dumex' throughout.......Our kids are worth the best.

We arrive on the 25th June, so he will be 7 weeks and 4 days old. We are just worried about changing formula, along with the heat and humidity, just worried it will be alot of upset for him. :D

Infant Milk in Thailand

Daley, I checked a couple of the larger stores in Pattaya and the following infant milk formulae are available here. If you do an Internet search and you might find more info and be able to select the most appropriate. Good luck.

Ready Mixed Formulae

Vitamilk X

Dumex 1 and 3 (Used by my daughter when she was 6 months old)

Hi-Q 1 and 3 (Also used by my daughter)

Nestlés “Advance”

Mead-Johnson’s “Alacta-NF”

Powder Formulae

Nestlés NAN

Nestlés “Lactogen”

Abbot Laboratories “S-26 Gold”

Enfalac Infant Formula

Dumex 1 and 3

Hi-Q 1 and 3

Dulac

Mission

Abbot Laboratories “Pediasure”

Wyeth “Infant Formula” (Singapore)

my wife's family are country folks and don't use formula much...they don't do much breast feeding either. When we arrived for the long sojeourn the wife brought a recently arrived 3 month old niece to stay with us. We did formula for about 4-5 months (no one cared much about sterilizing bottles and there was lots of barf around an' ol' tuts was right in there cleaning it up...either that or sleep in it)...

started introducing solid food around 8 months...just a bit of rice and etc., worked out with weening off the boddle...she's a healthy 4 y.o. package these days...cute as a button...

Infant Milk in Thailand

Daley, I checked a couple of the larger stores in Pattaya and the following infant milk formulae are available here. If you do an Internet search and you might find more info and be able to select the most appropriate. Good luck.

Ready Mixed Formulae

Vitamilk X

Dumex 1 and 3 (Used by my daughter when she was 6 months old)

Hi-Q 1 and 3 (Also used by my daughter)

Nestlés “Advance”

Mead-Johnson’s “Alacta-NF”

Powder Formulae

Nestlés NAN

Nestlés “Lactogen”

Abbot Laboratories “S-26 Gold”

Enfalac Infant Formula

Dumex 1 and 3

Hi-Q 1 and 3

Dulac

Mission

Abbot Laboratories “Pediasure”

Wyeth “Infant Formula” (Singapore)

Thank you very much for taking the time to research that for me, thats great, i think i may owe you a beer when i get to Thailand in July. Will be popping into patters for a week to catch up with a few members so beers are on me :o

• 16 years later...

At over one year old the child does not need milk.  As for the younger one, the mothers milk is best.  

I would not feed any dried bovine milk with added chemicals to my kids, unless it was unavoidable.  In fact it's better that children and adults have no dairy products at all.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

At over one year old the child does not need milk.  As for the younger one, the mothers milk is best.  

I would not feed any dried bovine milk with added chemicals to my kids, unless it was unavoidable.  In fact it's better that children and adults have no dairy products at all.  

This is based on rubbish internet misinformation and has no scientific basis.

Of course if you have an actual lactose allergy or intolerance you should not consume lactose, just as if you have a peanut allergy you should not eat peanuts.

This does not mean all  adults and children should avoid eating peanuts.

Edited by partington
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, partington said:

This is based on rubbish internet misinformation and has no scientific basis.

Says you, the expert right?  Got a link for that statement that is not from a baby milk formula company? 

My understand is based on my knowledge from studying nutrition and food science for 4 years to PhD level at a good university in the UK....and a career in biological sciences and nutrition spanning many years. 

If you truly belive that any man made, artificial and processed food is healthier for a baby (or you) than natural, fresh foods, then I have no further comments to make to you. 

17 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Says you, the expert right?  Got a link for that statement that is not from a baby milk formula company? 

My understand is based on my knowledge from studying nutrition and food science for 4 years to PhD level at a good university in the UK....and a career in biological sciences and nutrition spanning many years. 

If you truly belive that any man made, artificial and processed food is healthier for a baby (or you) than natural, fresh foods, then I have no further comments to make to you. 

I should have truncated the quote from you to make it clearer so I apologise for that. I agree of course that human milk is better for early infants than cow's milk or formulas, until weaning.

My objection was to this assertion, not the rest:

18 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

In fact it's better that children and adults have no dairy products at all.

which is not supported  by  nutritionists. For example, see below from McGill University. No suggestion here at all that adults or children shouldn't be drinking cows' milk, in fact it is recommended as a valuable nutrient resource.

Consumption of Milk and Alternatives and Their Contribution to Nutrient Intakes among Canadian Adults: Evidence from the 2015 Canadian Community Health Survey-Nutrition. Auclair et al  Nutrients (2019) Aug 19;11(8):1948.

Abstract

As a staple food and dense source of nutrients, milk and alternatives play an important role in nutrient adequacy. The aims of this study were to quantify the consumption of milk and alternatives within Canadian self-selected diets and determine their contribution to intakes of nutrients and energy. [...]  Milk and alternatives contributed >20% to total intakes of calcium (52.62 ± 0.46%), vitamin D (38.53 ± 0.78%), saturated fat (28.84 ± 0.51%), vitamin B12 (27.73 ± 0.57%), vitamin A (26.16 ± 0.58%), phosphorus (24.76 ± 0.35%), and riboflavin (24.43 ± 0.37%), of which milk was the top source. Milk and alternatives contribute substantially to nutrient intakes and thus warrant further attention in terms of mitigating nutrient inadequacy among the Canadian population.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31430962/