Police Question

Norman

UPDATE: I've offered the dude 10k/month and he's ok with that.

Thanks for all the comments. They really soothed me. I wrote my initial post when I was tearing the hair outta my head. You guys were a big help.

Thanks for all the comments. They really soothed me. I wrote my initial post when I was tearing the hair outta my head. You guys were a big help.

Glad to hear you have sorted this out, now you can go back to relaxing in the sunshine and worrying about if you want spicy or non spicy for lunch :o

Well done, and congratulations. :o

I did something stupid. I went to the police station with the owner and signed a promise to re-pay the cost of the bike. Theoretically, it's a civil matter not criminal so even if I don't pay, I won't be arrested but now he's got me a little bit cornered but not really. Know what I'm saying?

I just wanted to be able to walk outside and feel safe and free as we all should in Thailand. I guess by going to the station and now the police know us both, I can only hope things will workout.

I can only hope things will workout.

Why do you need to hope for it to work out Norman..

It will work out ok when you have paid, the fact that you have agreed terms with the owner and signed something to say you will pay means that is what you have to do..

You aren't considering not paying up are you, Theoretically as you say it may be a civil matter but i wouldnt take a chance on not being arrested or this guy doing his nut if you dont pay up...

Need to see it from his side, he had a bike worth money, making income and now its gone, did you have insurance??

Just pay up and when you go out you will "feel safe and free"

Edited by techie

I did something stupid. I went to the police station with the owner and signed a promise to re-pay the cost of the bike. Theoretically, it's a civil matter not criminal so even if I don't pay, I won't be arrested but now he's got me a little bit cornered but not really. Know what I'm saying?

Unfortunately I have a sneaking suspicion that I do... :o

:D

I've gone to the tourist police as I feel scared and they really weren't helpful nor English speaking. :D

That one is hard to believe, sorry..........................

Most Tourist Police offices (not officers BTW) have English Speaking personnel and as the regular police use the Tourist Police manpower to help them in the translation, at least in English anyway. :D

He won't provide me with the green book all owners receive. :D

Once you pay up all the funds for that bike, make sure you do get that “Bike Book” as then it will belong to you. Expensive “Book” ehhh but, well worth it in the end. :D

Scamps are everywhere nowadays :o

Offer to buy the bike from him - green book too,

if he wont, tell him to shove off in the nicest possible way and file an official notification, express your concerns he is trying to trick you. If you cant talk to the tourist police find an english speaking respected local (middle/higher class type person) get them to go with you to the police. Get a copy of any documents you are asked to fill in with your complaint. Write a letter to your embassy explain the situation and that if something happens to you - you suspect he is trying to make a problem for you. Show him copies of the letter and the stuff from police station

His bike got stolen not yours

You have offered to buy the stolen bike, he wont sell it so already alarm bells are ringing

In this case he shouldnt get too upset as he has obviously stolen it.

If you do manage to buy the green book make sure you report the bike stolen immediatly if is involved in an accident you may be in some trouble.

P.S if he purchased the bike on finance or has put the bike down for finance he may not have the green book

Rumour has it Thailand has some corruption. I recently had my rented motorbike stolen and the owner wants full replacement (40k). First of all, I don't have 40k available. Secondly, the rental is not due until June 3rd but he rings me every day and I've taken to avoiding his calls at this point. I'm scared of Thai style justice and I'll get a beating if I don't come up with the cash soon. The owner knows where I live but doesn't have my passport or a copy. He has filed a police report (I have a copy) so I know (?) it's not just a case of him stealing the bike and waiting until I go home to re-rent it.

I've gone to the tourist police as I feel scared and they really weren't helpful nor English speaking. I'm an expat with limited knowledge.

I offered him 20k on the day of the theft and he balked. I've paid the rent until June 3, so he shouldn't be calling me pestering me anyway. He won't provide me with the green book all owners receive. I want to know the age of the bike so I can estimate its value. I've heard each year the bike ages, I should remove 10k or so.

I know the simple solution is to pay the bill pronto but your advice would be soothing nonetheless. I'm terrified you'll read about me on the news as the next farang beaten to a pulp or given assisted suicide. Thanks.

Offer to buy the bike from him - green book too,

if he wont, tell him to shove off in the nicest possible way and file an official notification, express your concerns he is trying to trick you. If you cant talk to the tourist police find an english speaking respected local (middle/higher class type person) get them to go with you to the police. Get a copy of any documents you are asked to fill in with your complaint. Write a letter to your embassy explain the situation and that if something happens to you - you suspect he is trying to make a problem for you. Show him copies of the letter and the stuff from police station

His bike got stolen not yours

You have offered to buy the stolen bike, he wont sell it so already alarm bells are ringing

In this case he shouldnt get too upset as he has obviously stolen it.

If you do manage to buy the green book make sure you report the bike stolen immediatly if is involved in an accident you may be in some trouble.

P.S if he purchased the bike on finance or has put the bike down for finance he may not have the green book

P.P.S you CAN purchase a bike legally even on a tourist visa or entry stamp - PM me for advice

Rumour has it Thailand has some corruption. I recently had my rented motorbike stolen and the owner wants full replacement (40k). First of all, I don't have 40k available. Secondly, the rental is not due until June 3rd but he rings me every day and I've taken to avoiding his calls at this point. I'm scared of Thai style justice and I'll get a beating if I don't come up with the cash soon. The owner knows where I live but doesn't have my passport or a copy. He has filed a police report (I have a copy) so I know (?) it's not just a case of him stealing the bike and waiting until I go home to re-rent it.

I've gone to the tourist police as I feel scared and they really weren't helpful nor English speaking. I'm an expat with limited knowledge.

I offered him 20k on the day of the theft and he balked. I've paid the rent until June 3, so he shouldn't be calling me pestering me anyway. He won't provide me with the green book all owners receive. I want to know the age of the bike so I can estimate its value. I've heard each year the bike ages, I should remove 10k or so.

I know the simple solution is to pay the bill pronto but your advice would be soothing nonetheless. I'm terrified you'll read about me on the news as the next farang beaten to a pulp or given assisted suicide. Thanks.

UK falang has by far the best and only solution here. Get this mfer to sign the stolen bike over to you upon payment of the 40K. get him to go to police station to sign paper agreeing to do this. I bet he had bike stolen; LOS=Land of scams. not sure why you were worried about getting beat up; I'd have worried about getting killed, far more likely. people kill and have killed here for far less than 40K; just check out some of the bump offs in Pattaya in recent weeks. Get that ownership doc but dont get bumped off in the process. If he refuses to do it, just pay him the cash and you have the piece of mind knowing you were had like so many other farangs. I was scammed out of a 50K deposit downpayment on a condo so dont feel to bad. It's a culture thing to get raped for cash in this wonderful country where cash is everything