Foreign press admit covering Thai conflict is tricky

Lite Beer

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The difficulty that foreign correspondents are having with Thailand is precisely what Jonathan Head says - that the complexity of the situation here cannot possibly be condensed into a short time-frame - let alone 30 seconds. In this article, a journalist describes the difficulty in " getting through " to Yingluck in interview, while being flanked by a sea of male aides desperate to know if she is struck by how pretty the prime minister is - comes right to the heart of two key, related issues. As Yingluck is a proxy PM - a puppet, so to speak - her appearance, her prettiness - occupies a much larger dynamic of the package than would otherwise be the case. If she can't speak, that makes it even more important. If she doesn't understand what's going on, an even greater role than that still. Her English has improved - to her credit - though not to a considerable degree. But she is further handicapped by generalities, avoiding searching questions, and generally says nothing that a four year old girl could not be coached to mimic in a day. Journalists are hardened creatures. They know a smoke-screen when they see one. And yet - Yingluck poses special challenges in today's journalistic world. She's truly impossible to interview, as anyone who has seen them can attest, with the journalists clearly trying to enter what seems to be an unfathomable space. She's like George W. Bush without the intellect.

You want to make it all about Yingluk or would like to expand it to include Mr heads to head with Siri or Abhisit etc etc ? they are all a nightmare to talk to.

Ms Pedrosa is streets ahead of J.Head when it comes to HONEST journalism. question, Abhisit a nightmare to talk to ??? I would have thought he is one of the best English spoken Thai to interview, and pretty honest.

Absolutely!

Abhisit is EDUCATED, and has the skills for the job of PM. He is articulate in Thai and English and would be a great leader, given a proper chance (not like the last time when he was harassed and bullied by the red shirts leading up to the 2010 Shin dig).

The anti govt protestors should have agreed to an election on the proviso that it includes TELEVISED DEBATES BETWEEN ABHISIT AND YINGLUCK, as well as transparency regarding policies, with details of how they will be funded.

Even T himself refused to debate against Abhisit, I can only imagine how YL would do ;) probably end in tears, she would play the victim I'm sure.

After debates, policies outlined, THEN AND ONLY THEN let the people decide who is more honest and capable to run the country.

You really think that abhisit has free rein to set policy on anything serious? This country desperately needs reform of many things.

To a great degree Thaksin has far more autonomy to set policy than abhisit ever has had.

I'm saying that where there's a will there's a way.

Thaksin has a strong will, and we have all seen, and continue to see the results of his way.

I'm saying that Abhisit's will is more in line with helping his country than himself.

He will find a way, given a proper opportunity.

It also makes it a bit tricky when foriegn reporters get bashed, intimidated and attacked by bonehead yellow shirt protesters when the coverage is not to their liking.

It might be a good start if some of them could actually read and understand english, when the average thai has trouble reading and writing their own language, as usual anyone could tell the protesters what was in the paper and they would be believed and if it was not suitable to what they wanted to hear they would turn and when these yellow shirted idiots -i thought yellow was the colour of cowards, - what hope is there -- what hope is there for the future of this once proud country, never been conquered - ya of course not, when one sees the levels of literacy in this country its easy to see why someone like the mouth can spout rave and rant his crazy speeches, just like all the worlds previous dictators have done, Hitler and his ilk - the average thai student cannot even quote important dates about even recent history, but ask about last weeks soapy, give detailed account,, no problem, so if some guy who can shout rave and rant they are gonna follow him for sure as its all about - sanook -- jing jing, just like one big street party with my friends from the village, we have nothing better to do and we get free food, sing with friends, dancing in the street, sanook mahk mahk jing jing, come one come all - and the police cant even arrent this guy, i doubt they would even try, as they will be the ones at the other end of the rope, but so far so good the boy in green have stayed calm till now, hope it stays that way, wonder what the army sniper is doing this week, he sure has a big long gun, 5555 --enjoy and stay safe out there -it just keeps getting more interesting as each day goes by,,

post-18019-0-50473400-1390180060_thumb.j

I thought that her problem on this interview was the language barrier. No one can be blamed for that (my English is also terrible). But I have asked my Thai relatives and friends, and they all say that when she talks in Thai Language she sounds no different than on this interview:

uhh,come again??

can just imagine the reporter walking out of the room shaking his head with a wry smile.

All of my thai friends that completed masters degrees in english speaking countries speak way better then YL.

Not to mention a daughter of HM that did an undergraduate degree at MIT and has a superb near native command of english

Do you mean to say that the ability to speak english at a near native level or to be a good orator or debater is the primary requisite for leading a country? I think strong management, organisational strength, past performance, ability to express your thoughts clearly, in the language of the country's masses etc should be more important to deliver a party's manifesto promises. I think both Yingluck and Abhisit fail these. If they were not so utterly corrupt and egomaniacs, Thaksin or Suthep would have been better choices.

Not at all. The president of my country can not speak English (he always uses translators). The problem is that when Yingluck talks in Thai language she also sounds as sharp as on that interviews in English.

Edited by MGP

On Jonathan Head I once had the privilege (in 2009 from memory) of discussing his abilities with Anand Panyarachun,universally respected as a statesman.Khun Anand thought he (Jonathan Head) was the best foreign journalist operating in Thailand - though he also mentioned they had been to the same English public school so perhaps he was a bit biased in his admiration.

I think I know what's the interview you're talking about, I've watched it few times and recommend anyone to do the same. Panyarachun speaks about certain matters in such a surprisingly open and direct way. Thailand issues would be different if politicians of his stature were around now.

I wonder which foreign correspondent would get Anand's vote today. Would the old school tie carry the day again?

BTW Anand was never a politician. He was a non-elected PM appointed twice by a military junta after a coup but never participated in parliamentary politics.

Edited by Dogmatix