What beaches / islands should I go to?

dureel

I am in Chiang Mai right now, and want to visit some islands and beaches for 3 weeks in February. I'm hoping to spend under $1000 USD for the trip or around 1500 baht per day, including everything (transportation, hotel, food).

I am more interested in exploring than partying, maybe 80% exploring, 20% partying.

I would recommend the combo of Samui, Tao and KPN. Lots of things to do and see. KPN can be a zoo around the full moon party, but otherwise, is quite nice. Especially if you go to the more secluded beaches.

Or, head to Lanta and and you island skip all the way down to Langkawi!

Head for Trang.

Get the cheapie van to the coast, jump a longtail to Koh Libong, couple nights there, enough, another longtail to Koh Kradan few nights there, off to Koh Muk.

Actually if easier flight-wise can also do this from Phuket using Tiger-line ferries.

I went ground 190thb for the bus Phuket-Trang, on the return I went to Bangkok via the overnighter train I think that ran about 400thb and was quite fun.

If you are a cyclist, coastal Chanthaburi (South of Pattaya towards Cambodia) is very popular with dedicated cyclist lanes for a large part of it.

13478891-bicycle-road-chanthaburi-thaila

I think this is between Chao Lao Beach / Lam Sedet and Khun Wigiman, about 1km inland, it feels like you are in Oz with the white ecuyplts trees. This road runs for at least 100km along the coast. (ok, inland at this point but most is on the coast).

I would recommend the combo of Samui, Tao and KPN. Lots of things to do and see. KPN can be a zoo around the full moon party, but otherwise, is quite nice. Especially if you go to the more secluded beaches.

Or, head to Lanta and and you island skip all the way down to Langkawi!

As you said 80% exploring, maybe 20% partying the Lanta- Langkawi route is better, you want to reverse the ratio then do it the other way around.

National Parks are best and only option.

Hua Hin /C.Am, Samui , Phuket, Lanta, Lipe, Samet, most of mainland Krabi, 90% of Phanghan and most of Big Chang -never ever ever ughh.

Not Muk, Not Tao, Not Bulon or Libong.

Any island less than 25km off the coast, never.

Edited by fifthcolumn