Thai Tourist visa in HCMC/Saigon Report

Hi

Just in case of any use/interest I obtained a single entry tourist visa at the Thai Consulate in Saigon last week.

Hardly any reports from there.

I have been staying in Thailand on a non imm O obtained from the UK for just under 15 months.

That fact was queried, fair enough, was asked if I had family in Thailand, which I don`t, my Thai GF was with me so merely stated I had a Thai GF.

I was asked to show my return entry in to Thailand, which I did not have with me and also asked to show proof of exit after potential visa from Thailand.

As time was short, went and got a print out of return flight entry to Thailand and a booking for an exit from Thailand from a nearby Travel agent.

Puzzling but my GF was asked to write a letter acting as guarantor for my visa, it was actually asked for on the form.

I did also show my UK bank account with significant funds, appeared to be of no interest.

By the rules, firm/hard but fair IMO.

Applied around 10.30 - 11.00 AM, collected visa next day, hardly anyone else there.

• Like 1

The LAX consulate's visa form, which is the same form used for all types of visas, not just Tourist, also has that question about a guarantor on it. But I asked and was told to simply leave it blank (or put "NA") for a tourist visa. I've done that and never had a problem. I don't really get the part about your having had a non-imm O visa based on a GF(?), but suppose that has something - can't imagine what - to do with the letter request.

A little off topic but I just returned frm a 9-day maiden visit to HCMC. Surprisingly,it felt like MORE of a "Farang=Walking ATM" than Thailand. (Possibly on par with Pattaya and Phuket.) Additionally, my observation was that nightlife and P4P was quite scant and of very low quality.

The LAX consulate's visa form, which is the same form used for all types of visas, not just Tourist, also has that question about a guarantor on it. But I asked and was told to simply leave it blank (or put "NA") for a tourist visa. I've done that and never had a problem. I don't really get the part about your having had a non-imm O visa based on a GF(?), but suppose that has something - can't imagine what - to do with the letter request.

Just to clear up the confusion, the expired O visa had been obtained not through having a Thai GF but in the usual way at the time from a UK Thai Consulate, with no mention of a Thai GF.

I`m guessing here but I suppose at HCMC the consular staff member was wondering why I had already spent a fair amount of time in Thailand and was then requesting a Tourist visa.

That staff member insisted that my GF write a letter of guarantee, which she did and was also asked to produce a copy of her Thai ID card.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just returned from HCMC and got a single entry tourist visa. On the wall I remember seeing a sign that said they only give single entry tourist visas so getting a double could be a problem. I can also confirm that they want to see a flight ticket out of Thailand within the next 90 days.

Note that the HCMC consulate only accepts USD!

Other than that it's a great little consulate counter with no queues and very little hassle.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

First post and in a bit of panic, i could not return to my job as predicted after got free time to handle family business aboard and now i have 2 months of free time.

So i booked a ticket to Bangkok, staying there 2 days and then of to Ho Chi Minh for 14 days. Then i plan to return to Bangkok for meeting a friend and celebrate Song Kran. After that i planed to travel around abit and also visit Cambodia but after reading this forum it seem difficult.

I haven't think about the visa procedures at all. Now i checked and Vietnam is fine for 15 days as i'm from Sweden and can stay there for 15 days if i have a ticket from there.

Now for the problem, will they let me in to Thailand as i have a ticket to Vietnam 2 days later?

Can i get new tourist visa so soon in the Thailand embassy in Ho chi Minh until i leave in the end of may whit out a ticket from Thailand or should i buy one before applying?

Is there any chance to get a tourist visa with multiple entry as i would like to visit Cambodia?

Any info and help is much appreciated as im leaving Sweden in 12 hours and getting really worried that i haven't checked this things up.

I'm 40 years old and planning to stay to the end of may if possible.

Can i get new tourist visa so soon in the Thailand embassy in Ho chi Minh until i leave in the end of may whit out a ticket from Thailand or should i buy one before applying?

Is there any chance to get a tourist visa with multiple entry as i would like to visit Cambodia?

You do not necessarily need a tourist visa to Thailand but if you stay longer than 30 days may be cheaper to get one. You can use a fully refundable ticket bough on expedia.com to satisfy the consulate requirements. Only single entry is issued in HCM. If no visa you can extend for 30 mored days at immigration in Thailand, cost Bt 1,900. Print your ticket to Vientnam to show when you board to Thailand.

You do not necessarily need a tourist visa to Thailand but if you stay longer than 30 days may be cheaper to get one. You can use a fully refundable ticket bough on expedia.com to satisfy the consulate requirements. Only single entry is issued in HCM. If no visa you can extend for 30 mored days at immigration in Thailand, cost Bt 1,900. Print your ticket to Vientnam to show when you board to Thailand.

So there will be no problem to get a regular tourist visa for 60 days in Vietnam to Thailand if i apply for it in the beginning of April for one entry if i book a ticket ? The stop for 2 days in Bangkok doesn't harm my application for a tourist visa?

Seem i will have to skip my trip to Cambodia then.

Thanks for the replay but my brain are spinning around when i started to read about the visa regulations and im worried.

So there will be no problem to get a regular tourist visa for 60 days in Vietnam to Thailand if i apply for it in the beginning of April for one entry if i book a ticket ? The stop for 2 days in Bangkok doesn't harm my application for a tourist visa?

Seem i will have to skip my trip to Cambodia then.

Where you traveled and for how long doesn't matter when you apply for a Thai visa. Remember when you do tourism in Thailand you bring money to the country. You can go to Cambodia and return to Thailand as you please, even without a visa.

• 1 year later...