Krabi-What's it like ?

trainman34014

I haven't been for several years. There are several areas that are neat to explore in that area. Many backpackers rave about Railey beach. It was so so for us. One side is mud flats and a bunch of cheap places where backpackers hang out. The other is a beautiful beach, but disappears at high tide. We found prices in a nice hotel were fairly expensive. We didn't make it to Ton Sai beach, but again, have heard it's beautiful...but small.

Ao Nang is a big beach area with lots of hotels. It's OK as far as a beach goes. We only explored the main area, but I've heard it's great exploring it up the coast a bit (north). Quite a few resorts up there also. IMHO, Krabi town is just a town.

You can reach Koh Lanta quite easily. We quite liked Lanta. And from there, you can island skip all the way to Langkawi. From Krabi you can also hop over to Phi Phi.

• Like 2

rather than stop in Krabi go from there to Ko Lanta, its less than 2 hours by bus or so across w ferries, more peaceful, better beaches, cheaper and nicer than Krabi.

Krabi is is great if ur into Rock climbing thou

I used to go to Krabi 10 years or so ago to get away from phuket but it has became so crowded and more expensive than Phuket. Then i found lanta!!

high season is a bit full but low season is great

was there this past Oct, had an air con bungalow on the beach for 600 baht, great seafood as well

The main touristy area is Ao Nang which is always very lively and full of the usual locals touting for your business,

Locals?? Walking down Ao Nang Beach Road you will constantly be harassed by Indians and Nepali who try to get you into their pizzeria's and tailor shops.

• Like 1

The main touristy area is Ao Nang which is always very lively and full of the usual locals touting for your business,

Locals?? Walking down Ao Nang Beach Road you will constantly be harassed by Indians and Nepali who try to get you into their pizzeria's and tailor shops.

I was there in October and didn't experience any of that.. It was nice.. Maybe in high season it's different, but I found it ok.

• Like 1

In 2011, my wife and I had ten, great days down there in Krabi. 4 nights in Railay then 5 nights in Ao Nang. Railay was lovely, though as some have said, a little pricey too. A tour around the islands was absolute paradise, although many of our eastern European friends were a complete pain in the rear. Be sure to go on an island tour. We rented our own long tail boat, I think it was 1000B for 4 hours but obviously you could do a deal for longer. The snorkeling around 1 of the islands we moored up at was excellent.

The stay in Ao Nang afterwards was ok but different from Railay. More people competing for your custom and many of the Nepalese guys employed by the restaurants to entice customers in, were actually quite aggressive in their approach, like trying to sell you the meal, I mean like 'do a deal' on meals in the street, trying to hold your arm whilst talking in fear of you walking away, LOL but nothing too bad.

The wife and I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone.

I was in Ao Nang last year for 8 days. . The streets are dead after 10 pm. (Not such a bad thing if one is a morning person.)

We found it boring after a couple of days. If you go, try the Carnivore Steakhouse. A bit expensive, but a top quality meal.

Be careful when selecting a longtail boat for hire, as the tour promoters will over charge and promise all sorts of things not delivered like beverages or a meal. Better to deal direct with the co-op at the beach. Prices are posted. We hired a boat to take us to the various islands one day. Tthe gang let out a collective sigh of relief as we left Krabi.

A word of caution, the sun can be very strong. In busy season, the various islands are crowded so you can be easily disappointed. As for Railey Beach. it was nice, but walk a bit past the beach and you end up at the garbage dump.

I'm not bashing the place as it is worth the visit, at least for a few days. Anything more than that and you'll become rather bored.

PS. I have never seen my friends annoyed by touts before, but it happened in Ao Nang. The menu pushers were out in full force, especially the "Indian" restaurants. I found it funny, but one of my friends was not pleased to be continually harassed by the touts. Aside from the fact that he hates Indian food, his English language skills are limited and he kept asking me why the touts insisted on talking to him in English. I said take it as a compliment that you are so pale they took you for a superior farang. He figured out what I said a night later and I paid the price for that one when he embarrassed me in a bar telling one of the girls I was only interested in ladyboys. sad.png

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

I was in Ao Nang last year for 8 days. . The streets are dead after 10 pm. (Not such a bad thing if one is a morning person.)

We found it boring after a couple of days. If you go, try the Carnivore Steakhouse. A bit expensive, but a top quality meal.

Be careful when selecting a longtail boat for hire, as the tour promoters will over charge and promise all sorts of things not delivered like beverages or a meal. Better to deal direct with the co-op at the beach. Prices are posted. We hired a boat to take us to the various islands one day. Tthe gang let out a collective sigh of relief as we left Krabi.

A word of caution, the sun can be very strong. In busy season, the various islands are crowded so you can be easily disappointed. As for Railey Beach. it was nice, but walk a bit past the beach and you end up at the garbage dump.

I'm not bashing the place as it is worth the visit, at least for a few days. Anything more than that and you'll become rather bored.

PS. I have never seen my friends annoyed by touts before, but it happened in Ao Nang. The menu pushers were out in full force, especially the "Indian" restaurants. I found it funny, but one of my friends was not pleased to be continually harassed by the touts. Aside from the fact that he hates Indian food, his English language skills are limited and he kept asking me why the touts insisted on talking to him in English. I said take it as a compliment that you are so pale they took you for a superior farang. He figured out what I said a night later and I paid the price for that one when he embarrassed me in a bar telling one of the girls I was only interested in ladyboys. sad.png

When we were there, it seemed like the 'menu pushers' were working for all the restaurants. I remember walking by one restaurant seeing one Indian/Nepalese guy screaming at a foreigner to sit down with the foreigner just looking at him in amazement.

Quite unlike many parts of Tryland, it's worth a visit. I've been a few times, and though I would never actually rave about it, it is worth a few days.

Renting a car and popping down to Koh Lanta for a night or two, is also worth while.

Oh, and if you are into fishing, this is a must http://www.gillhamsfishingresorts.com/

I second Gillhams - if you are into fishing. Had a great couple of days there. You need to hire a car to enjoy the area. Great scenery and Railay is nice. I really preferred the old town to Au Nang. It was my first experience of a Thai town not filled with farangs. Liked the people and the food. Drove over to Khao Sok for a couple of enjoyable days. The climbing etc you already know about.

If I were going again I would look at some of the islands south toward the border. They seem trouble free and spectacular from what I have read.

we stayed last year and found after 5 days had enough drink is as expensive as london uk and food limited chioce to be honest yes girlie bar area bah.gif and very loud eastern europeans there but as a bit late person was best annoyed by the fact 90% of the place shut down by 10 30 and as for those indian touting your buisiness they really got ot me in fact totally pissed me off the beach was good though and where we stayed wonderfull krabi resort but this place for me is a one off as like koh lanta a bit to boring same as pattaya only smaller and to many indian type people who are driven by money and seem to think that you want to be told to sit in there resturant or go in there shop i felt harrassed in the end give me koh chang any day

I must have stayed at a different Ao Nang to these people.. I encountered no Indian/Nepali touts, ladyboy massage places, Russian groups etc etc. It was nothing at all like the worst parts of Patong or Pattaya. The only group that bothered us were the monkeys that loiter on the stairs that lead to the Centara in the next bay. I'd actually like to stay for an extended period there.

• 9 months later...

Reigniting this post. I am looking at going to Ao Nang in December. We'll be going in a group of three families. Each family has 2 adults and 3 young kids. Can anyone suggest accommodation and/or indicate prices. Wanting somewhere reasonably nice, safe, secure that will suit kids aged 3 to 6. Want to be walking distance to the beach.