Any experience with MITSUBISHI TRITON CNG pickup Trucks ?

Nakonamath

I am strongly considering a 2hand Triton CNG Pickup truck.

Anyone have or had this ?

Pros and cons ?

new one 640k 2012 model 2hand 400k almost 250k saving.

With this kind of saving in such short time, i am worried there is something, which i dont know ?

i am not looking for serious pulling power, just a pickup with good fuel economy for multi purpose use.

Jack

The second hand price sounds about right given the current state of the used car market and the reduced desirability of the CNG versus the diesel model.

As an owner of a 2012 model, I'm happy so far. It was a second choice but Ford could not deliver. It's comfortable and does the job, nothing has fallen off and it's required no maintenance outside routine servicing.

You've already hit on the main concern of this model - if you need to regularly carry loads and/or enjoy the feeling of high torque, it's not for you...its about the fuel savings.

Expect around 220-250 km from a full CNG tank. Running on petrol you can use E20. You won't want to run on petrol very often so check how near your NGV station is and observe if they regularly have a queue - because if they do you'll be joining it. Not being able to run on CNG will sour your experience so make sure you can get it filled easily.

Every year to get your road tax you must have the CNG installation inspected - budget 1000-2000 baht per year for that.

I am now of the opinion that to run CNG you must either have an overwhelming commercial imperative (such as running a taxi or minibus) or a genuine interest in alternative fuels and a consequent willingness to accept the limitations - otherwise a diesel pickup is just all round easier to live with.

Edited by Questador
  • Like 2

The savings would cancel out any fuel costs, if you like the truck and it is sound mechanically and bodily go for it. Have you looked at Isuzu? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Have you looked at Isuzu?

bit lost on this ?? never seen a Isuzu CNG model, or a 2012 Diesel model for 400 k

On the other hand many 2012 Tata Xeon CNG pickups for 220 - 260 k

Edit: The Tata has 2 tanks fitted under it so the back bed is full size, the Triton has the Tank on the back bed which is a pain for some [room space wise].

Edited by ignis

The savings would cancel out any fuel costs, if you like the truck and it is sound mechanically and bodily go for it. Have you looked at Isuzu? Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

bit lost on this ?? never seen a Isuzu CNG model, or a 2012 Diesel model for 400 k

Edit: The Tata has 2 tanks fitted under it so the back bed is full size, the Triton has the Tank on the back bed which is a pain for some [room space wise].

Agreed. On the 4 door Triton CNG you'll find it difficult to get a moped on the bed and still be able to close the rear door. The 2 door is less compromised.

Aftermarket tanks are available for the Triton going underneath taking the space of the spare wheel, but from the factory the tank is unfortunately in the bed.

No need to be lost, it was a suggestion to the OP last paragraph, although not cng better than suggesting tata no? I don't see many tritons on the road let alone cng it may suggest that they are not that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The second hand price sounds about right given the current state of the used car market and the reduced desirability of the CNG versus the diesel model.

As an owner of a 2012 model, I'm happy so far. It was a second choice but Ford could not deliver. It's comfortable and does the job, nothing has fallen off and it's required no maintenance outside routine servicing.

You've already hit on the main concern of this model - if you need to regularly carry loads and/or enjoy the feeling of high torque, it's not for you...its about the fuel savings.

Expect around 220-250 km from a full CNG tank. Running on petrol you can use E20. You won't want to run on petrol very often so check how near your NGV station is and observe if they regularly have a queue - because if they do you'll be joining it. Not being able to run on CNG will sour your experience so make sure you can get it filled easily.

Every year to get your road tax you must have the CNG installation inspected - budget 1000-2000 baht per year for that.

I am now of the opinion that to run CNG you must either have an overwhelming commercial imperative (such as running a taxi or minibus) or a genuine interest in alternative fuels and a consequent willingness to accept the limitations - otherwise a diesel pickup is just all round easier to live with.

Good information from another owner,

We dont carry heavy things, i am looking at the megacab model, i do Mountainbiking, so i want space for the bikes, and usually we ride quite far away, so i dont want to have the fuel bill in my thoughts when going.

We have a Mini van, with aftermarket LPG, i will NEVER buy a car with a aftermarket gas system installed again, not all cars ar suitet to drive with gas, or atleast they have more wear, than others, our van, is not suitet, and is having an engine repair as i write.

The factory CNG attract me,

we are looking at a 2013 model 20.000 on the Odometer just 420.000 baht. still have red plate. that is 200.000 baht saving 30% in 1 year.

Jack

Hell what a huge drop from new compared with the diesel models, at that rate it will be nearly worthless in another 3 years and all those queues for a refill, NO THANK YOU.

I dont buy with reselling in mind, i buy because i need it, and not to sell next year, for the latest model.

But, investment vice yes, i will agree with you.

Queues fueling ?, how much in a hurry are you really ? :-)

But my question was really, if any one had experience with it.

Jack

I am not really into India produced Cars, i belive the Mitsubishi, have some Quality behind their name though.

There are Hilux with CNG aswell, but the price is higher.

Jack

Hell what a huge drop from new compared with the diesel models, at that rate it will be nearly worthless in another 3 years and all those queues for a refill, NO THANK YOU.

I dont buy with reselling in mind, i buy because i need it, and not to sell next year, for the latest model.

But, investment vice yes, i will agree with you.

Queues fueling ?, how much in a hurry are you really ? :-)

But my question was really, if any one had experience with it.

Jack

Jack,

Fair points made on depreciation and fuel wait issues, which will rule out this model for many.

If you can accept the above, buying one second hand and keeping it for some years may be an acceptable way forward.

You're welcome to PM me if you have more questions.

Edited by Questador

Where I am you would have to wait in a queue for at least 1 hour to fill up, I have better things to do, and how many kms per fill? and do you really save any money in the long term with all the lost time near vertical depreciation and every year an inspection cost, which will only go up.

Again NO THANK YOU I will stick with my diesel, plenty of go and torque no queues for fuel and reasonable economy and a realistic resale value and everyone wants one. clearly with the near vertical depreciation there is NO real second hand market.

Where I am you would have to wait in a queue for at least 1 hour to fill up, I have better things to do, and how many kms per fill? and do you really save any money in the long term with all the lost time near vertical depreciation and every year an inspection cost, which will only go up.

Again NO THANK YOU I will stick with my diesel, plenty of go and torque no queues for fuel and reasonable economy and a realistic resale value and everyone wants one. clearly with the near vertical depreciation there is NO real second hand market.

I appreciate your point of view.

We have several NGV CNG stations nearby, no such queues, unless its prime time where all the minivans arrive :-)

We had Nissan Navara Diesel, but the CNG cost is 1/3, for longer trips, i personally do think it is worth it for me.

Jack

i bought the 2013 Triton today 38k on Odo, 420.000

Hope it works !!

Good price for a nearly new truck, post a review in a couple of months to give us your day to day opinion running cost's etc, good luck with it..

Hope it works !!

Good price for a nearly new truck, post a review in a couple of months to give us your day to day opinion running cost's etc, good luck with it..

Will do,

I can say, the reason why this was so cheap, the dealer had bought it on auction, from a finance company, the previous owner didnt pay the installments on time.

The car still have red plate.

We have ofcourse checked we dont get the previous owners debt :-)

The Triton sounds like a good deal, hope you are happy with it.

You might want to check if your pickup is covered by the recent Mitsubishi safety check for PJS & Trition. This was an inspection for a faulty weld on the front suspension and an electric seat switch replacement on some models.

This was done as a recall in Australia and some other countries, http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/Mitsubishi_recalls_20400_Tritons_and_Challengers_20131119

Mitsubishi Thailand handled it with letters to owners but a dealer should be able to check if your pickup is affected.

Edited by Jitar

Hope it works !!

Yes, I second that. Good luck mate.

The Triton sounds like a good deal, hope you are happy with it.

You might want to check if your pickup is covered by the recent Mitsubishi safety check for PJS & Trition. This was an inspection for a faulty weld on the front suspension and an electric seat switch replacement on some models.

This was done as a recall in Australia and some other countries, http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/Mitsubishi_recalls_20400_Tritons_and_Challengers_20131119

Mitsubishi Thailand handled it with letters to owners but a dealer should be able to check if your pickup is affected.

great info, thank you !

Got the "machine" yesterday, and found out the NGV station i thought to have in my backyard, had closed last months ( go figure ) thankfully, other ones are near, and along the road we travel several times a week, no harm done.

The car is quite fast, 2.5 Benzin, very little engine noise, very comfortable ride.

I am happy with our purchase.

However, i can see, you will need to have NGV within reach, as it will not last you long if you drive daily.

Jack

Got the "machine" yesterday, and found out the NGV station i thought to have in my backyard, had closed last months ( go figure ) thankfully, other ones are near, and along the road we travel several times a week, no harm done.

The car is quite fast, 2.5 Benzin, very little engine noise, very comfortable ride.

However, i can see, you will need to have NGV within reach, as it will not last you long if you drive daily.

Jack

Hi Jack, what kind of highway range can you get at a steady 100km/h also is your ngv tank or tanks under the bed or a single in the back, plus the cost of filling, I'm looking at one of these myself for light carrying work be interested in what you can achieve many thanks..

Jack

Hi Jack, what kind of highway range can you get at a steady 100km/h also is your ngv tank or tanks under the bed or a single in the back, plus the cost of filling, I'm looking at one of these myself for light carrying work be interested in what you can achieve many thanks..

wll i had it for few days only, but another owner is answering in this thread aswell, he said 200+ single tank.

my tank is the factory mounted, on the back.

i consider to have 1 extra tank fitted under the car, to extend the range, it cant harm to have done :-)

Jack

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The petrol engine has power, but lacks torque. Quick passing requires using revs, which is not to everyone's liking.

I would recommend extra under floor tanks. Two of them would take the range over 500 km on NGV, which would greatly improve practicality. I didn't get round to doing it, but enquired and the cost was around 50000 THB.

Good information from another owner,

We dont carry heavy things, i am looking at the megacab model, i do Mountainbiking, so i want space for the bikes, and usually we ride quite far away, so i dont want to have the fuel bill in my thoughts when going.

We have a Mini van, with aftermarket LPG, i will NEVER buy a car with a aftermarket gas system installed again, not all cars ar suitet to drive with gas, or atleast they have more wear, than others, our van, is not suitet, and is having an engine repair as i write.

The factory CNG attract me,

we are looking at a 2013 model 20.000 on the Odometer just 420.000 baht. still have red plate. that is 200.000 baht saving 30% in 1 year.

Jack

Please do yourself a big favor. Go to as good Mitsubishi shop and let them check the whole car, if it had a serious crashy before.

Completely damaged cars here were redone, mostly with frame and chassis damages left, as many small garages the insurance pays for don't have the right knowledge and equipment to fix this sort of isses.

Anyway, the 100 % check is dirt cheap. You might be surprised to find out what's really on the clock. I have the older model L 2oo Strada, two door and more than happy with it.

Enough space to put a big bike in the back. An American friend just bought a Triton, but he doesn't seem too happy with it.

Good luck and please post all what the garage found, when you go for a real check up.

I'm new to this thread, but since I'm the happy owner of a Triton I'd like to pass on my experience.

In April this year, I bought a 2010 Triton Plus 4-door, 2.5 VGS turbo-diesel, with 70,000 km on odo.

The original owner was a middle-aged Thai lady who didn't drive it that much. I'm very happy with

my Triton, it looks and feels like a new car. It handles very well and has plenty of power (181 hp).

Recently, I went with 18" wheels and 265/60R18 Falken ZE912 tires. A marked improvement, much

smoother and quieter and cornering is more precise. This is the second car I've owned with Falken

tires. In my opinion they are superior to both Bridgestone and Dunlop.

In 7 months, I've put 14,000 km on the Triton and it is one superb machine. Recently, I met another

farang with a 2004 Triton 4-dr diesel and he said he loves it and has had to do nothing in 10 years

except regular maintenance, oil changes and tires.

I would also like to mention for those who are not aware. Total 4X2 pickup sales in Thailand for the

first 8 months of 2014 (Source: 4Wheels Magazine, Dec 2014 Issue):

1. Toyota

2. Isuzu

3. Mitsubishi

4. Ford

5. Chevrolet

6. Mazda

7. Nissan

Also, the news from Australia -- 4X4s comprise 90% of pickup sales and in 4X4 sales Triton vies with

Toyota Hilux for top spot. In June 2014, Mitsubishi sold a bit over 3700 4x4 Tritons, edging out the 4x4

HiLux with 3150 sales to finish runner-up. (Source: http://www.caradvice.com.au/category/statistics)

In my experience, I'd say Triton is very competitive in the market because of the superior quality and

value for the price.

Also, I agree that the diesel Triton is such a satisfying machine, why go to CNG?

Love my Triton.