Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Immigration Crackdown in North-East Thailand

I have been splitting my time 50-50 between Thailand and the Uk for 3 years now. I always came on non o visas. Followed the rules. Never overstayed. I am married. Have a 2 year old daughter. I built a house for my wife and myself when i am here. I obviously send money every month when not here. Then the rules were changed virtually overnight with the 800,000 baht lump sum rule. I am self employed so dont have " monthly " income, but easily meet the 40,000 baht limit. I do get fed up reading about some people on here saying to follow the rules, when the rules have given me major worries when all i want to do is see my family, not work over here. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a lump sum in their bank. I now have to fret every time i apply for a tourist visa when i come over for a few months.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Why don't you go to Savannakhet and get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage. No financial proof is needed.

You have also been given wrong info about getting one in the UK there have been reports of them being done based upon marriage with no financial proof from consulates there other than Hull.

You can also get 60 day extensions of any entry to visit your wife.

• Like 2

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank Ubon. My stay here is 4 and a half months and am due back in UK on 12th March. Apart from a month in July I will be back from end October to March again at the end of the year. The worries will start again close to that time. Never sure what immigration have up their sleeves next. I do miss the family but need to leave to work. I did phone the Hull embassy when I noticed the new rules last year and the sympathetic lady told me, no financials no non o visa. She actually suggested the triple tourist route. I was not too familiar with extensions from immigration and so on. I still felt a bit like a criminal coming into Thailand though as I knew I was visiting my family and not strictly a tourist. I always have a return ticket too, and more than enough to support myself, but not the ridiculous amount they now ask for a 4 month visit. I certainly wouldn't class myself as a chancer, I just need to see my wife and young daughter, like many people. I notice that you Ubonjoe usually reply first, and very quickly. I appreciate that very much. Thank you.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

(UK) - don't forget the Poles, Rumanians, Hungarians, Lithuanians...i've lost track of how many can now walk in...don't think the Welsh are the biggest contingent ?

I'm Polish and I've spend over 6 years in UK... We don't need to work below min wage as we are not illegal workers... So please don't make this topic about poor Brits who lost their job because of Eastern Europeans... Used to work on manager position in hotel and believe me I had real problem to find British citizen who would like to do for min wage this kind of work... This is about crackdown in Thailand and I think we should stick to this... In my opinion if this action is against illegal workers that's right because this kind of activity always makes possibilities for gangs or not honest employers etc to make money on those poor people...

Don't worry Thai Visa is full of these whinging types. They move to Thailand and complain about migrants. I call them the anti immigrant immigrants.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

but won't all this be relaxed regarding citizens of neighbouring countries when AEC comes into force?

And 40,000 people blacklisted ! WOW that is a phenomenal amount ohmy.png

Wonder how many TEFLrs are having sqeuaky bum time?

Go Thailand Go.

The majority i suspect,maybe middle class thais also,they are renown for having illegal immirants for house keepers,paying a pittance

And why not have the test in Thai, they will be working in THAILAND.

If and when I visit my home country if it happens that I have to visit the doctor I would assume that I could converse with him in my language in my country, why should it be different here.

If you have been paying attention to the Thai Governments strategy in preparation for the implementation of AEC in 2015; you will be aware that they are encouraging all Government agencies (and private businesses who wish to take advantage of AEC) to enroll their employees in English language training. The aim is to facilitate easier communication with fellow AEC member countries, many of whose citizens already possess a fairly good standard of spoken English.

If a Thai national were required to take a similar test in The Philippines, would you expect them to pass if the requirement was to take it in Tagalog? The answer is quite reasonably No... In response to your specific question (in my humble opinion); the reason the test should not be taken (written and orally) in Thai, is because English is being promoted as the language of business opportunity within AEC and because it increases the opportunity (as a result of mobility) for AEC member state citizens if they are not forced to clear unreasonable language hurdles such as this.

Quite frankly it smacks of Xenophobia to implement such restrictions (not only for foreign nurses, but all AEC citizens), at a time when trade and employment barriers are ostensibly being lowered. You raised the issue of being able to communicate with your Doctor in the language of your home country. On this point I agree with you, but we are talking about nurses, not Doctors. There is a world of difference between two people being able to communicate effectively; and passing a written and oral Thai literacy test, which 90+ % of foreigners, even those with a relatively good standard of spoken Thai, would fail with flying colours (I would include myself in that group).

You've clearly never spent a decent amount of time in hospital. Nurses are more than shit picker upperers. They are your first point of contact and the ones who generally 'have seen it all' and to a large extent, know the answer before the doctors. Spend anytime in a hospital, and you'll see a doc for maybe 5 to 10 mins during the day, if you are lucky, the rest of the time, it is the nurses who are the primary care givers.

If you are a poor sod from Issarn stuck in hospital with a nurse who only speaks Vietnamese, then you are screwed.

Respectfully you're missing the point... Nowhere in my post (please read it again, thoroughly if you have the time), did I denegrate the role of a Nurse, or suggest that they are anything other than the backbone of any hospital operation, which is my personal view.

In my original post, I mentioned Philippino Nurses; chances are that if you were in Issan and lucky enough to be attended by a Phillipino Nurse, she would likely speak better English that 90% of the Thai Nurses on staff. The issue I raised was about the opportunities which are supposed to be offered to AEC citizens by the free movement between member nations, and the fact that Thailand isnt really on-board with the spirit of the idea; not Nursing the specific role of Nursing staff per-se.

No country is on with the spirit if the idea. I don't know where people are getting this idea that the AEC will turn into some sort of Asian EU with free movement of peoples. It just won't happen.

As for the nurses, this is to highlight a point. There are a range of professions where speaking the local language to a certain level is required. People can bang on as this being some sort of government imposed barrier to trade, but to use nursing as the example, the fact is that 99.99% of patients in Thailand are going to need thai speaking staff qualified in using the requisite terminology.

The fact that this odd expat might benefit from a Phils trained nurse is beside the point. If there is a demand for it, a hospital can and does hire proficient translators to do those jobs.

I personally have no problem with free movement of persons. I'd welcome it in ASEAN especially as I'd be prime beneficiary. Still though, that shouldn't mean local labour markets lower standards to accommodate those who don't meet local regs, whether they be Thai or foreign.

Edited by samran

they said: all foreign nationals will be screened if they have entered Thailand four or more times without sufficient reason.

well i am going to give them a good reason !!xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.

what about a person who is married but don't have the 400 000 baths in a bank anymore because he spend his money . to live, to build a house, to buy a car, suport an entire wife's family.....and perhaps lost also money trying to make a business with his wife. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

so now what can this person do legaly ?...... apart going back home and loose everything, wife included or .......try to get tourist visas as many as he can, if he saw a failure in the burocratic thai system .cheesy.gif

is it normal or human that a government separate a man from his wife for the only reason , he hasn't got enough money .bah.gif....to them ?

i don't say the thais have to help economicly wai2.gif the farang (they could do sometimes )but if this person is correct and respect the thais and pays for what he need ,........why don't they let them live their life in peace ?facepalm.gif

i hope some in the thai government read these post sometimes and rectify, because today, in the 20 th century it is incredible that we still have to see such things, especially in country who receive more than 15 milions visitors a year, and his the third destination of the world.

i am not talking about north corea, i am talking about this thailand where a lot's of people want to go because most of thais are nice people to visit and meet but where the institutions don't follows foreign visitors needs.

if the democracy goes well to burma, this is going to be a very good alternative to thailand, the country is virgin and beautifull , perhaps it's worth change and go with our money somewhere we could be respected and not called every second with the pejorative word "farang".

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

The Thai ( and a lot of the farangs, who NEED to live here) give a shi* about you.

As a matter of fact, YOU DON'T COUNT and NEITHER DOES YOUR THAI CHILD (if you have one).

But let them be happy. K A R M A will keep hitting them forever. They hand out enough shi*, it's good for a couple millenniums of bad karma cheesy.gif

Oh - and I need to add. If you understand Thai culture, then you would not blame the Thai government. As a Farang you can marry a hundred of their girls, produce a 500 kids here, they wouldn't care less, as long as you can pay? Because - you will NEVER BE PART OF A THAI FAMILY. And if you think so, try stop paying. You will quickly learn - LOVE turns into Hateful HATE, a hug, into a "stab", a smiling person, into a biting wolf. ... Go, try it!

Good luck to the silly boys, who enjoy supporting this Narcissist Socio/Psychopath madness, and keep paying for their cheap entertainment!

Sir

wowwwwwwwwwwwww,your hatred is overwhelming,maybe got fleeced

N ---------------- native

T ---------------- thai

H ---------------- hater

Are these low paid workers doing jobs Thais don't want?

Well I have experience now in looking for staff for 1 2 months, advert outside house says 350 baht a day.... no takers, got a couple of Burmese who stayed 6 months at 14000 baht the pair, no w gone, got two more stayed 2 weeks now gone. so low paid??? 15000 + free rice, free motorcycle and free gas, free house, free fish, free pineapples/ bananas 1 day off per week....................no takers ( looking for someone for 20years+ ie length of job)

What they want is the easiest job they can get ie Tesco, security guard. Salary isnt important to them, seems they just want money for nothing.

House is brand new 40m2 nicle y fitted out......built it myself, while local Police guy watched me daily and had a chat.................work permit hahhahaahahah nope they dont care, more important is can they have a few fish.

but won't all this be relaxed regarding citizens of neighbouring countries when AEC comes into force?

No. The Thais only care about Thais having the possibility to go to other ASEAN countries, but will implement whatever ways they can think of to prevent the others coming to work in Thailand. The whole free movement idea will be watered down to nothing.

Many hospitals in Thailand are desperate to hire good quality nursing staff. You would think that a well qualified nurse, from say... The Philippines (of which there are many, most of whom speak good English to boot), would be able to fill those postiions when the AEC comes into effect. They probably think the same, but will have something of a shock when they find out that the application includes a written and oral test, which has to be taken and passed in Thai... Amazing Thailand...

Imagine that...requiring a foreign nurse looking to work in a Thai hospital, presumably caring for Thai patients and interacting with fellow Thai nurses and doctor colleagues, to be able to pass a written/oral test conducted in Thai. The cheek of it! No other country would ever impose such an onerous and unnecessary requirement on foreign healthcare professionals working in their respective countries that they be able to understand that country's native language...NOT!

It's still THAILAND folks...not Farangland.

Sounds all good to me. Keep up the good work.

Why ?

Enforcing any country's immigration laws is a good thing.

Yes if someone is entering a country for their own financial gain via that countries resources, but I can see no problem with folk coming into LOS as there is no drain on resources to bleed. Sooooo, these folk are nooooooooo problem to you or me. If someone was found to be running a business via tourist visas then that is another thing.

Immigration might be 'cracking down' as stated in the OP. However, I don't think there will be a major crackdown as the situation with visa runs is a whole industry within itself. You imagine if there was no border runs what would all the Thai minibus drivers, visa agents, tour companies do? Their income would fall dramatically.

I'm really not sure about your theory.

Well you got to admit, it's a cottage industry that puts money in the locals pocket and food on their families tables.

Are we really that naive to think that some of the van drivers, taxi drivers and tour companies don't have a little deal with the immigration officials? I beg to differ.

I agree -- Farangs bring money and spend money in Thailand and not just Tourists either.

And unlike in the States where Illegals come here, work without paying taxes, send money "home" commit crimes, get deported then cross the border with a different set of ID, etc...it's a big difference.

I wonder how much of an economic hit Thailand would take without Farangs and their money helping boost local economies?

Each Farang living in Thailand on a non-resident Visa is spending at least 30k BHT per month, and that's the low-end retiree. I would venture the average is 50k-75k BHT and they put that money into the pockets of Guest House/Apt. owners, street vendors, restaurants, bars, girlie bars, entertainment industry, etc...which in turn creates jobs and creates a positive economic cycle.

• Like 2

Sounds all good to me. Keep up the good work.

Why ?

Enforcing any country's immigration laws is a good thing.

Yes if someone is entering a country for their own financial gain via that countries resources, but I can see no problem with folk coming into LOS as there is no drain on resources to bleed. Sooooo, these folk are nooooooooo problem to you or me. If someone was found to be running a business via tourist visas then that is another thing.

I've got no problem with it either if they quality for one of the existing visas that allow for extended stay in the Kingdom (and no, endless on arrival entry stamps and/or tourists visas don't quality). As has been said, Thailand's immigration regulations are not intended to allow any foreign person who fancies it to wash-up in Thailand for good. Those with special skills and talents or those wishing to retire and who meet the requirements usually have any easy time of it and those who dodge and weave around the rules give the rest of us expatriates a bad reputation.

• Like 1

they said: all foreign nationals will be screened if they have entered Thailand four or more times without sufficient reason.

well i am going to give them a good reason !!xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.

what about a person who is married but don't have the 400 000 baths in a bank anymore because he spend his money . to live, to build a house, to buy a car, suport an entire wife's family.....and perhaps lost also money trying to make a business with his wife. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

so now what can this person do legaly ?...... apart going back home and loose everything, wife included or .......try to get tourist visas as many as he can, if he saw a failure in the burocratic thai system .cheesy.gif

is it normal or human that a government separate a man from his wife for the only reason , he hasn't got enough money .bah.gif....to them ?

i don't say the thais have to help economicly wai2.gif the farang (they could do sometimes )but if this person is correct and respect the thais and pays for what he need ,........why don't they let them live their life in peace ?facepalm.gif

i hope some in the thai government read these post sometimes and rectify, because today, in the 20 th century it is incredible that we still have to see such things, especially in country who receive more than 15 milions visitors a year, and his the third destination of the world.

i am not talking about north corea, i am talking about this thailand where a lot's of people want to go because most of thais are nice people to visit and meet but where the institutions don't follows foreign visitors needs.

if the democracy goes well to burma, this is going to be a very good alternative to thailand, the country is virgin and beautifull , perhaps it's worth change and go with our money somewhere we could be respected and not called every second with the pejorative word "farang".

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

The Thai ( and a lot of the farangs, who NEED to live here) give a shi* about you.

As a matter of fact, YOU DON'T COUNT and NEITHER DOES YOUR THAI CHILD (if you have one).

But let them be happy. K A R M A will keep hitting them forever. They hand out enough shi*, it's good for a couple millenniums of bad karma cheesy.gif

Oh - and I need to add. If you understand Thai culture, then you would not blame the Thai government. As a Farang you can marry a hundred of their girls, produce a 500 kids here, they wouldn't care less, as long as you can pay? Because - you will NEVER BE PART OF A THAI FAMILY. And if you think so, try stop paying. You will quickly learn - LOVE turns into Hateful HATE, a hug, into a "stab", a smiling person, into a biting wolf. ... Go, try it!

Good luck to the silly boys, who enjoy supporting this Narcissist Socio/Psychopath madness, and keep paying for their cheap entertainment!

Sir

T ---------------- thai

H ---------------- hater

Hello, camouflaged Thai sniffer-dog.

That's exactly it! Everybody who addresses the Truth must be a Thai hater, very disrespectful, huh?

Well, that''s the main reason why your country is so <deleted>**ed up. You think everything is just right and, of course "culture", too. Poor Thai - the bad Westerners always go off on your caring discrimination, your perfectly crafted racism, your smilingly friendly deception, which took so long for you to turn into a unique culture signature.

Well, dare to show your face, together with your "elite" cleansers in front of international media and then you repeat again!

BTW, I am NHT, and not NTH. But TITs 'n TATs, right? Everything will be twisted to fit the bas*ard* here.

Immigration might be 'cracking down' as stated in the OP. However, I don't think there will be a major crackdown as the situation with visa runs is a whole industry within itself. You imagine if there was no border runs what would all the Thai minibus drivers, visa agents, tour companies do? Their income would fall dramatically.

Well you got to admit, it's a cottage industry that puts money in the locals pocket and food on their families tables.

Are we really that naive to think that some of the van drivers, taxi drivers and tour companies don't have a little deal with the immigration officials? I beg to differ.

I agree -- Farangs bring money and spend money in Thailand and not just Tourists either.

And unlike in the States where Illegals come here, work without paying taxes, send money "home" commit crimes, get deported then cross the border with a different set of ID, etc...it's a big difference.

I wonder how much of an economic hit Thailand would take without Farangs and their money helping boost local economies?

Each Farang living in Thailand on a non-resident Visa is spending at least 30k BHT per month, and that's the low-end retiree. I would venture the average is 50k-75k BHT and they put that money into the pockets of Guest House/Apt. owners, street vendors, restaurants, bars, girlie bars, entertainment industry, etc...which in turn creates jobs and creates a positive economic cycle.

agree with you lostmebike and PHP87.

But the major general who thought of the crackdown didn't think well about Thailand economy. There are places like MBK and Chatuchak that you can see more numbers of foreigners than Thais. Thais generate good money from foreigners

• Like 1

Ah, it took a while but is finally here. The 'if it wasn't for us Thailand would fall in a heap' post. Justifying your own stay.

The anti immigrant immigrants strike again.

• Like 1

I have been splitting my time 50-50 between Thailand and the Uk for 3 years now. I always came on non o visas. Followed the rules. Never overstayed. I am married. Have a 2 year old daughter. I built a house for my wife and myself when i am here. I obviously send money every month when not here. Then the rules were changed virtually overnight with the 800,000 baht lump sum rule. I am self employed so dont have " monthly " income, but easily meet the 40,000 baht limit. I do get fed up reading about some people on here saying to follow the rules, when the rules have given me major worries when all i want to do is see my family, not work over here. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a lump sum in their bank. I now have to fret every time i apply for a tourist visa when i come over for a few months.

The rules have not been changed for sometime the 800,000 you mentioned is the amount you need in a bank for retirement if married all you need is 400,000. Before posting nonsense and making your self look foolish check the rules for each requirement. 800,000baht in the bank for 2 months prior to application for the first time and 3 months in the bank there after. 400,000baht in the bank for marriage extension of stay 3 months prior to application.

No. The Thais only care about Thais having the possibility to go to other ASEAN countries, but will implement whatever ways they can think of to prevent the others coming to work in Thailand. The whole free movement idea will be watered down to nothing.

Many hospitals in Thailand are desperate to hire good quality nursing staff. You would think that a well qualified nurse, from say... The Philippines (of which there are many, most of whom speak good English to boot), would be able to fill those postiions when the AEC comes into effect. They probably think the same, but will have something of a shock when they find out that the application includes a written and oral test, which has to be taken and passed in Thai... Amazing Thailand...

Imagine that...requiring a foreign nurse looking to work in a Thai hospital, presumably caring for Thai patients and interacting with fellow Thai nurses and doctor colleagues, to be able to pass a written/oral test conducted in Thai. The cheek of it! No other country would ever impose such an onerous and unnecessary requirement on foreign healthcare professionals working in their respective countries that they be able to understand that country's native language...NOT!

It's still THAILAND folks...not Farangland.

It takes over two years for a Filipino to be approved for a nursing job in the states they also have to take additional classes to improve their English ( I have been there many times and they do not speak excellent English if any at all) many are now going to the UK as requirement and time involved are not so demanding.

• Like 1

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

Sir

T ---------------- thai

H ---------------- hater

Hello, camouflaged Thai sniffer-dog.

That's exactly it! Everybody who addresses the Truth must be a Thai hater, very disrespectful, huh?

Well, that''s the main reason why your country is so <deleted>**ed up. You think everything is just right and, of course "culture", too. Poor Thai - the bad Westerners always go off on your caring discrimination, your perfectly crafted racism, your smilingly friendly deception, which took so long for you to turn into a unique culture signature.

Well, dare to show your face, together with your "elite" cleansers in front of international media and then you repeat again!

BTW, I am NHT, and not NTH. But TITs 'n TATs, right? Everything will be twisted to fit the bas*ard* here.

If Thais are such bad people why are you on a Thai Forum

Ah, it took a while but is finally here. The 'if it wasn't for us Thailand would fall in a heap' post. Justifying your own stay.

The anti immigrant immigrants strike again.

If it wasn't for Thailand, "us" would be falling in a heap ... somewhere else. biggrin.png

David

• Like 2

Its quite amusing on this forum where some people give a bit of advice and still manage to throw in an insult or two or a bit of name calling?!

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Sd12
  • Like 1

Moe666 if you read my original post i am here for 4 months just now. If i was to apply for a single entry non o marriage in the uk i would need to show 800,000. I dont stay here for periods much longer than that. Is extension of stay not if i stay here all year??

Moe666 if you read my original post i am here for 4 months just now. If i was to apply for a single entry non o marriage in the uk i would need to show 800,000. I dont stay here for periods much longer than that. Is extension of stay not if i stay here all year??

An extension of stay is for one year and you only need 400k baht or 40k income. It seems you got misinformed about 800k baht requirement to get a multiple entry visa in the UK. There have been people getting them recently based upon marriage without showing any financial proof at a consulate other than Hull.

You could make a tripe to Savannakhet Laos and get the visa without financial proof.

You can also get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife.

Ubon. I have just looked on the Thai Embassy website in London and it does in fact say nothing about financial proof rather than 20000 baht per person. Birmingham also. Hull have mysteriously dropped their 800000 rule since i applied last August. Wish they would make their minds up. If applying from the Uk i will apply by post to anywhere but Hull. Thanks again and i apologise for making you repeat yourself again. :)

Edited by Sd12

Per Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) data for 2012, the average length of stay per visitor is 9.64 days with an average daily spend of 4,187.12 baht (US$137) per person,

So for sure TAT would be happier if visitors will stay longer.

Not only TAT but all Thais that generate income from tourists and foreigners