Army-police rift widens - Navy commander threatens to sue over 'mistaken identity'

webfact

There is a rumour that they have offered 500Kbt for the identity of the bombing suspect. Just what my wife told me. So if true they are definitely trying

Did it ever cross your mind that they are hoping that someone with links to the PDRC ends up being exposed because they already have connections within the red camp that have told them it wasn't them? So they are pinning their hopes on it being from the protester side and are desperate to get it exposed??

Because we all know the police are linked directly to Ko Tee and the main red shirt hard cores.

No that didn't cross my mind. I actually thought that they may have been offering a reward to help find the actual person involved. The thought it was a redshirt plot to set up an innocent PDRC member never even entered my mind. Actually it sounds a little silly.

• Like 1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prbkk, on 21 Jan 2014 - 07:21, said:Quote

It's never a good sign when an organisation with power and authority seeks to silence critics and avoid questions by threatening legal action. They tend to lose credibility and respect as a consequence of making the threat, no matter how strong the merits of their point

Even if they are correct and the law suite is for libel?

If I was a serving member of any military force, accused of something I didn't do, I would like for that organization to also have my back. If the police were involved with releasing somebodies service documents alongside that of a person involved in a criminal action implying they are the same person, then I think they have good grounds for at least to issue an apology if not an actual suite brought against them.

All the above subject to the innocence of the accused...................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2

The army and navy are quite right here. They are emphasising what most sane people are saying - the police are clearly not doing enough. As for the photos doing the rounds - if the police issued those then they have a lot to answer for Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Suthep boilroom is now open for business.

Tom yum suthep?

When three SEALs were caught red handed at the protest site carrying silenced weapons it put the Navy squarely under suspicion. The 'drugs operation' cover story was obviously bogus.

What's the logic of one taxpayer funded agency suing another? It's just an attempt to intimidate the police. There's an arrest warrant out for a suspect. Let's have his name. The bomber dropped his hat at the scene. Have the SEAL guy give a DNA sample and that would clear him or otherwise.

Earth to wherever you are - I know news travels at only the speed of light, and that takes a long time, but if you read the OP you might see

"The police yesterday issued a statement confirming that the Navy officer in question was not the one who lobbed a grenade at the Victory Monument protest site."

You must be new here. You don't seem to know much about how things work in Thailand. The police only put out that statement because they were ordered to do so. Do you seriously think that the suspect was interviewed at a police station? Do you seriously think he gave a DNA sample? Have the police arrested anyone else? You need to get more in touch with the reality of how things work in Thailand. The Navy have now said that the suspect was elsewhere working on 'anti drugs'. Anti drugs operations is the catch- all cover story used by the military when they're up to something.

You need to stop believing everything the police or military say here.

• Like 2

When three SEALs were caught red handed at the protest site carrying silenced weapons it put the Navy squarely under suspicion. The 'drugs operation' cover story was obviously bogus.

What's the logic of one taxpayer funded agency suing another? It's just an attempt to intimidate the police. There's an arrest warrant out for a suspect. Let's have his name. The bomber dropped his hat at the scene. Have the SEAL guy give a DNA sample and that would clear him or otherwise.

Go back and read the news about the three "SEALS". They weren't caught at the protest site. They were picked up somewhere else well away from the protests and they happened to have guard IDs.

They were carrying yellow shirt terrorist ID's. i think it's a safe bet that they were at the protest site. The police just had to wait until they moved away before arresting them.

Go back and read the news about the three "SEALS". They weren't caught at the protest site. They were picked up somewhere else well away from the protests and they happened to have guard IDs.

They were carrying yellow shirt terrorist ID's. i think it's a safe bet that they were at the protest site. The police just had to wait until they moved away before arresting them.

Do you think you add any value on here by presenting your lies as news?

I'd prefer to see facts - not your toxic BS

Earth to wherever you are - I know news travels at only the speed of light, and that takes a long time, but if you read the OP you might see

"The police yesterday issued a statement confirming that the Navy officer in question was not the one who lobbed a grenade at the Victory Monument protest site."

You must be new here. You don't seem to know much about how things work in Thailand. The police only put out that statement because they were ordered to do so. Do you seriously think that the suspect was interviewed at a police station? Do you seriously think he gave a DNA sample? Have the police arrested anyone else? You need to get more in touch with the reality of how things work in Thailand. The Navy have now said that the suspect was elsewhere working on 'anti drugs'. Anti drugs operations is the catch- all cover story used by the military when they're up to something.

You need to stop believing everything the police or military say here.

You need to stop believing everything the police or military say here...........and start believing an anonymous red shirt/Thaksin apologist with the credibility of a three dollar note.cheesy.gif

that's the ultimate problem here: you basically can't believe a word that any of them says -- police, military, government -- they're all pretty much the same when it comes to abusing or twisting the truth.

But there's one real fact that I believe we do know: thus far, the police haven't arrested anyone for any of the recent spate of hand grenade bombings. So that pretty much tells you how they're doing their job.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

You need to stop believing everything the police or military say here...........and start believing an anonymous red shirt/Thaksin apologist with the credibility of a three dollar note.cheesy.gif

'The Thai police/army said it, so it must be true'. There's one born every minute!

Only two weeks left now until the election. The increasing terrorist attacks just show the desperation of the people who want to stop democracy. The Thai people will speak on Fed 2nd and that will be the end of it.

Prbkk, on 21 Jan 2014 - 07:21, said:Quote

It's never a good sign when an organisation with power and authority seeks to silence critics and avoid questions by threatening legal action. They tend to lose credibility and respect as a consequence of making the threat, no matter how strong the merits of their point

Even if they are correct and the law suite is for libel?

If I was a serving member of any military force, accused of something I didn't do, I would like for that organization to also have my back. If the police were involved with releasing somebodies service documents alongside that of a person involved in a criminal action implying they are the same person, then I think they have good grounds for at least to issue an apology if not an actual suite brought against them.

All the above subject to the innocence of the accused...................wink.png

I guess they started to lose credibility by sweeping aside concerns about the 3 SEALS arrested ( secret op..then moonlighting...or whatever) and by doing so opened the door to ( what appears to be) unfair accusation in this case. Better to have dealt with the first case openly and direcrly rather than obfuscating, then this would not have been a media issue.

Edited by Prbkk

that's the ultimate problem here: you basically can't believe a word that any of them says -- police, military, government -- they're all pretty much the same when it comes to abusing or twisting the truth.

But there's one real fact that I believe we do know: thus far, the police haven't arrested anyone for any of the recent spate of hand grenade bombings. So that pretty much tells you how they're doing their job.

To be fair to the police, they're not really in a position to take on the military. They can't very well walk into a military base and start arresting people. They caught the SEAL assassin team, but were quickly forced to release them.

Any attempt to use force, like tear gas, or organized crowd dispersal, will undoubtedly be met with violence by the protesters and then calls for military action. The rules are rigged for the elite to eventually take over after either wearing down the current elected government or by removing them by force through military coup.

If the Reds had put on months and months of shutdown marches, they would have been mowed down like in 2010. Until the old guard minority can accept the will of the upstart rural majority, Thailand will never have peace.

Or until the old guard minority can figure out how to win the hearts and minds of the majority, which they have never be able to do.

• Like 2

The police yesterday issued a statement confirming that the Navy officer in question was not the one who lobbed a grenade at the Victory Monument protest site. Pol General Ek Angsananont, deputy national police chief, also denied that police had distributed the naval officer's photograph along with the arrest warrant for the bomb suspect.

Have they located the man on the other photos being circulated to confirm his innocence? The man with a much stronger resemblance to the bomber, an associate of the late Seh Daeng? (who used to wear a hat adorned with grenade pins and make threats of throwing grenades at people)

Also, reportedly the man on the second set of pictures is working with Ko Tee, who has recently let Red Shirts to directly confront anti-government protesters.

I would think that to be a worthy lead to pursue, have them?

To be fair to the police, they're not really in a position to take on the military. They can't very well walk into a military base and start arresting people. They caught the SEAL assassin team, but were quickly forced to release them.

SEAL assassin team

Issued with Yellow Shirt Terrorist ID's... honestly, do you even believe the BS you write or are you completely out of your mind?

• Like 1

SEAL assassin team

Issued with Yellow Shirt Terrorist ID's... honestly, do you even believe the BS you write or are you completely out of your mind?

Silenced guns are the trademark of assassins. You don't put silencers on personal protection weapons, for obvious reasons.

Using intimidation and violence to shut down a capital city in an attempt to overthrow an elected government? I think most reasonable people would call that terrorism.

Not hard to understand, is it?

• Like 2

SEAL assassin team

Silenced guns are the trademark of assassins. You don't put silencers on personal protection weapons, for obvious reasons.

Using intimidation and violence to shut down a capital city in an attempt to overthrow an elected government? I think most reasonable people would call that terrorism.

Indeed, it's very easy to understand you. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

SEAL assassin team

I don't believe that any of the shots fired at protesters has come from a silenced weapon - no point

What violence has the PDRC undertaken during the "shutdown" protests? None.

That's not hard to understand is it?

<deleted>, the Navy wants to sue the police simply because a suspect may be a sailor. This is making Thailand look like a total laughing stock and the biggest asylum on the planet.

No, the Navy want to sue the police because it appears the police were deliberately placing false information on social media smearing both the Navy and a naval officer. Who instructed the police to do this, and which particular senior police officers may be involved is important to establish. As a police officer yourself, you must appreciate that police officers, of all ranks, are not above the law and have a duty not to behave inappropriately.

This seems another deliberate attempt to mislead the public and international press into believing a naval officer committed a terrorist attack. Now the police have admitted the naval officer, whose photo they posted, is not the suspect. Pity they weren't more thorough or professional.

Your comments are, of course, correct and logical in the right context which they are not. This is not about silencing critics but rather seeking accuracy in reporting. Your comments would fit the Navy's last threat to sue the Phuket based editor without the benefit of an investigation. In the current context I think they highlight your biased view.

Who is the Army Commander and Chief to tell the police anything. The Army has no control over the police unless General you want to have a coup and take over the police. As for the Navy they are becoming sue happy. They must have a large staff of lawyers.

Nail, head hit,

There is no end of money available in the country for the military. Absoulty no end of it. Billions and billions every year needed just to suppress the population.

World is onto them, and you think it is a pantomime now. Just wait until we get a Junta again, they;ll be shooting each other all over bangkok just as they did last time.

PAD leaders became expendable and when one of em spoke up he was used for target practice. So no vioence at all when the army in charge. Noooo Shootings on the streets of Bangkok... couldn't happen.

For the newbies. Nobody pointed the finger at the Red Shirts. Dems in power so you'd think the culprit would soon have been apprehended. wouldn't you? You do now.

Sondhi's son, Jittanart Limthongkul, blamed factions within the military and the Abhisit government of being behind the assassination attempt:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/apr/17/bangkok-yellow-shirt-shooting-thailand

Sondhi%2BLimthongkul%2Bcar%2Bafter%2Bsho

Edited by pipkins

I don't believe that any of the shots fired at protesters has come from a silenced weapon - no point

What violence has the PDRC undertaken during the "shutdown" protests? None.

That's not hard to understand is it?

There's no evidence that the silenced weapons had actually been used, but just the fact that they were present indicates at the very least a capability to carry out covert attacks. A silencer is a liability in an open gunfight, but very useful if you want to shoot from cover without being detected.

Violence? Plenty of it. The attacks on candidate registration centres and the recent vicious assault on a group of police officers spring to mind. Blockading public roads is a violent act in itself.

• Like 1

Who is the Army Commander and Chief to tell the police anything. The Army has no control over the police unless General you want to have a coup and take over the police. As for the Navy they are becoming sue happy. They must have a large staff of lawyers.

Do you not think it's sensible for the leaders of a country's security forces to communicate? Especially given the current context.

The police are not above the law. They may have committed offences in the way these photographs have been posted. Certainly, they didn't act professionally.

Was it another honest mistake? Did someone instruct the police to do this? Any senior officers involved who might have pictures of fugitives on their wall?

Adul seems o.k. He was ready to tell the truth about the police on top of the Labor ministry - remember, when a caretaker government minister and other senior police officers were lying about it.

Let's see how competent they are at arresting the real suspect.

Nail, head hit,

There is no end of money available in the country for the military. Absoulty no end of it. Billions and billions every year needed just to suppress the population.

World is onto them, and you think it is a pantomime now. Just wait until we get a Junta again, they;ll be shooting each other all over bangkok just as they did last time.

PAD leaders became expendable and when one of em spoke up he was used for target practice. So no vioence at all when the army in charge. Noooo Shootings on the streets of Bangkok... couldn't happen.

For the newbies. Nobody pointed the finger at the Red Shirts. Dems in power so you'd think the culprit would soon have been apprehended. wouldn't you? You do now.

Sondhi's son, Jittanart Limthongkul, blamed factions within the military and the Abhisit government of being behind the assassination attempt:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/apr/17/bangkok-yellow-shirt-shooting-thailand

Sondhi%2BLimthongkul%2Bcar%2Bafter%2Bsho

Talking of Newbies, you've been a member how long? Posted how many posts? And always slagging off anyone but PTP and the red shirts, regardless of the thread topic.

Hmmm. Must be nice and warm under your bridge during the cold spell?

I have seen a couple of rumours that the Navy Commander is related to Suthep though I would be surprised if true as would have thought the media would mention it. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not on your life. Would you want to be sued, or worse run the risk of a beating or even death?

• Like 1

The army and navy are quite right here. They are emphasising what most sane people are saying - the police are clearly not doing enough. As for the photos doing the rounds - if the police issued those then they have a lot to answer for Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Suthep boilroom is now open for business.

Say's a person sitting in Thaksin's boiler room !

• Like 2

I agree - the cousin who is head of CAPO and Tarit of the DSI are glaring examples of this. The head of the cyber police would like to get in on the act too.

^ Um, this is still Thailand.

Most other places you'd be right of course.

The police have done nothing so far because the army wont let them. As Winnie says, T.I.T. The army are a state within a state - in what other country do the army own TV stations, a bank, hotels, golf courses - the police could easily remove these remaining protesters if the army would back the civil power.

Wakey Wakey! Use the police to remove peaceful protesters and remove their right to free speech and protest? Have you been Skyping per chance?