Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

Serious criminal wrong doing sold not be exempt. The police should be able to petition parliament to remove immunity. It should go for senators too.

What happened to the bloke who shot his missus across the table?

That's more of an issue of stopping the ridiculous "Sorry, I can't come in today. I'm ... ummm ... busy".

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

If not terrorists, then insurrectionists. It's only semantics. Suthep has ordered candidate registration polls blockaded, candidates harrassed, ballot printing interrupted, occupied government facilities, intimidated and harrassed government workers, threatened management and employees of the Government Bank, threatened to shutdown communications and utilities, threatened to "foceably" remove Yingluck from government, and threatened to kidnap her ministers. He further announced to do whatever it takes to interrupt election day and prevent citizens from their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to vote. With this state of emergency perhaps the military can restore order, and provide security to ALL parties concerned, both in and out of government. Democracy and the Thai Constitution may still yet survive Suthep and grow stronger by a more civil and legal discourse of issues before the public.

Or we find out tomorrow that it's all been a ruse to get the EC to change the date of the election due to it being impossible to have an election with this State of Emergency in place .. hence the reason it's starting tomorrow and for 60days.... saving face and blaming someone else ..usual thing with the Shinawatra governments!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Funny thing is this State of Emergency may be just what is needed for the EC to call off the February 2nd Election and choose a different date. It certainly falls into their remit.

And so strange that it's set at 60days not 30days...

I agree with you except for one thing, this SoE gives them a lot of powers like media censorship and locking up everybody they do not like, I think the EC is top of the hit lit list...

Possibly even censoring the ballot papers before they are countedcoffee1.gif

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

If not terrorists, then insurrectionists. It's only semantics. Suthep has ordered candidate registration polls blockaded, candidates harrassed, ballot printing interrupted, occupied government facilities, intimidated and harrassed government workers, threatened management and employees of the Government Bank, threatened to shutdown communications and utilities, threatened to "foceably" remove Yingluck from government, and threatened to kidnap her ministers. He further announced to do whatever it takes to interrupt election day and prevent citizens from their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to vote. With this state of emergency perhaps the military can restore order, and provide security to ALL parties concerned, both in and out of government. Democracy and the Thai Constitution may still yet survive Suthep and grow stronger by a more civil and legal discourse of issues before the public.

Starting to get under your skin is he?? Hahaha!! carry on Suthep - wind them up further.

Serious criminal wrong doing sold not be exempt. The police should be able to petition parliament to remove immunity. It should go for senators too.

That's more of an issue of stopping the ridiculous "Sorry, I can't come in today. I'm ... ummm ... busy".

I go for trial by jury. Now there is a sure fire way to even up the judicial process. What a fun reform that would be.

The final desperate move of a frightened group of crooks, con artists, terrorists, con men, thugs, bully boys, intimidators and corrupt VERMIN.

The vast majority of the Thai people are looking forward to the election on Feb 2 nd and saying "Our day will come!" It's about time they swept the streets.

You really need to keep up.

Latest poll shows 53% wanting a reform council and 17% wanting elections

Even if they allow leprechauns the vote, your still buggered

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You've just completely contradicted yourself. So you are happy with the voice of the people deciding this? If 53% support it as you say what on earth are you so afraid of? Or are you still deeply confused by the difference between a informally conducted Internet poll and a properly conducted plebiscite of voters? You really can't have it both ways.

Edited by Snig27

I go for trial by jury. Now there is a sure fire way to even up the judicial process. What a fun reform that would be.

Sure. There'd be no corruption involved there! cheesy.gif

Funny thing is this State of Emergency may be just what is needed for the EC to call off the February 2nd Election and choose a different date. It certainly falls into their remit.

And so strange that it's set at 60days not 30days...

I agree with you except for one thing, this SoE gives them a lot of powers like media censorship and locking up everybody they do not like, I think the EC is top of the hit lit list...

Possibly even censoring the ballot papers before they are countedcoffee1.gif

Well they've tried locking everyone up it seems - how many are in police cells at the moment? I'll give you a clue, it's approaching zero!!!

This is all so simple, if you want somebody out, go vote.

The process has already been expedited to suit your needs.

Who the fuc_k are these people? I can't stand it. Get a fuc_king clue people!!

Not really pal!!

When an elected government doesn't play the game by the rules and idiots keep on voting them back in then it gets a bit more complicated than you are implying!!

If the PTP was sensible, had fair policies that benefitted Thailand as a whole and acted responsibly then I would change my opinion on all of this. As it ain't gonna happen then I will voice my opinion against this undemocratic heap of sh*t* whether people like it or not.

Why does it get more complicated than that? If the "idiots" as you say keep on voting them back in, they are the government. Hardly rocket science. It's how most of the world works, "like it or not".

Sure. There'd be no corruption involved there! cheesy.gif

It would probably give the pooyai heart failure and prove the nonsense that vote buying guarantees anything.

Could you imagine Ferrari red bull kid faced by his peers. How much would you take to acquit him? 100 mm a juror? What guarantees would he have anyway?

I trust a jury of normal civilians over these dodgy back scratching judges any day.

Doing nothing is handling it extremely well?? lol...right

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless there is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

You are so sure that the majority of Thai People want the government to step down - if thats the case then an election would establish it one way of the other - you cant bribe every voter, in any event offering policies attractive to the poorer people in the North is not bribery but a sound and reasonable political ploy. In any riot or mass demonstration it is the organisers of it who bear the responsibility for any deaths. The main criticism I would have of YL is not actiing decisivly and getting Suthep (also a fugitive) arrested. I bet any money you like that if this undemocratic council were elected they would "find a way" to pardon his crimes. I would not be a Thaksin supporter but I also would not feel that I have the right to oust a government I do not like - the proper way is through the ballot box no matter how long it may take.

The rice scheme is a"sound and reasonable political ploy? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless there is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

You are so sure that the majority of Thai People want the government to step down - if thats the case then an election would establish it one way of the other - you cant bribe every voter, in any event offering policies attractive to the poorer people in the North is not bribery but a sound and reasonable political ploy. In any riot or mass demonstration it is the organisers of it who bear the responsibility for any deaths. The main criticism I would have of YL is not actiing decisivly and getting Suthep (also a fugitive) arrested. I bet any money you like that if this undemocratic council were elected they would "find a way" to pardon his crimes. I would not be a Thaksin supporter but I also would not feel that I have the right to oust a government I do not like - the proper way is through the ballot box no matter how long it may take.

The rice scheme is a"sound and reasonable political ploy? cheesy.gif

...and since when has Suthep been a fugitive?? Please enlighten me as to what his crime was.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 2

I am wondering if this is because they're really scared of the farmers closing down every major motorway/highway and marching into Bangkok.

It can be the only reason.

After 'millions' marched in BKK and nothing really went too wonky . . . they know it won't be the same happy tale when a million unpaid farmers descend on the place.

Ironic really that these were their core supporters.

The slinging of grenades may have been the excuse, but the real trigger for the Emergency Decree would have been the Thaksin panic at the threat of the rice farmers to march and find themselves on the same side as the current protesters. That would have been a popular front calling curtains on the Thaksin regime. The Emergency Decree will hopefully (as far as Thaksin is concerned) prevent the rice farmers from marching and they may even try the bank snatch under the smokescreen of the current situation. Thaksin was also hoping to push the army into a coup in order to make a claim to seize the high ground but that didn't happen to save his troops from splitting (ie the rice farmers), so Thaksin is the one who has blinked first and pulled the Emergency Decree cord. Suthep's support has stayed on the streets longer and stronger than anybody would have predicted. On to the next scene.

Encouraging to see some calm analysis of the situation, without using the words fascist or terrorist.

I do wonder how any censorship will affect postings here on TV in the coming days. Any ideas?

• Like 1

I must admit to being cynical about the whole matter.

My only concern is if this will affect my life as a foreigner in Thailand outside Bangkok itself, and after that mostly the Baht's exchange rate against my €.

Apart from that the why and wherefore totally escapes me even after reading some FAQs on the matter.

May justice, peace, and prosperity follow forever after, but I don't know which side is going to manage that, if any.

I must admit to being cynical about the whole matter.

My only concern is if this will affect my life as a foreigner in Thailand outside Bangkok itself, and after that mostly the Baht's exchange rate against my €.

Apart from that the why and wherefore totally escapes me even after reading some FAQs on the matter.

May justice, peace, and prosperity follow forever after, but I don't know which side is going to manage that, if any.

Good news for anyone with income in Euros, Sterling or US $.

The baht seems to be falling yet again, surprise.

What kind of a fool uses the word "terrorist"?

Anyone interested in denigrating a perceived enemy, the other side call themselves "freedom fighters" or something alluding to what constitutes a just cause in their perception.

Otherwise some governments use the term for the purpose of waging peace on other nations, curbing civil liberties or harassing journalists.

Will do as definition of the word for any practical purpose.

Edited by Saradoc1972

I'm torn on this one. I've never figured out how a group can simply move into the busiest intersections of a capital city without any resistance from the police, army, etc. Yet, since they moved in, it's been quieter and traffic at Asok has never been better.

That's because the police are not snarling up the traffic with impromptu traffic light dances and dodgy tickets.

Or maybe because all the protesters are car-owners who bought their cars through the promotional car buying scheme (brought about by the floods and the risk of the Japanese moving their manufacturing car plants out of Thailand – a scheme brought in by Yingluck’s party) have left their cars at home to go and sleep in tents, blow whistles, and do some shopping for the last few weeks. Just a thought.

I have been to a couple of protest sites, and I guesstimate that 10% of the people at the nightly rallies actually stay overnight at the camps. The other 90% live in BKK and go home to sleep.

Of the campers, >90% are from the provinces (from the signs like PDRC Surat etc).

The slinging of grenades may have been the excuse, but the real trigger for the Emergency Decree would have been the Thaksin panic at the threat of the rice farmers to march and find themselves on the same side as the current protesters. That would have been a popular front calling curtains on the Thaksin regime. The Emergency Decree will hopefully (as far as Thaksin is concerned) prevent the rice farmers from marching and they may even try the bank snatch under the smokescreen of the current situation. Thaksin was also hoping to push the army into a coup in order to make a claim to seize the high ground but that didn't happen to save his troops from splitting (ie the rice farmers), so Thaksin is the one who has blinked first and pulled the Emergency Decree cord. Suthep's support has stayed on the streets longer and stronger than anybody would have predicted. On to the next scene.

Encouraging to see some calm analysis of the situation, without using the words fascist or terrorist.

I do wonder how any censorship will affect postings here on TV in the coming days. Any ideas?

Which begs the question, what is the government going to do to stop the farmers going to bangkok to protest?

Shoot them? Arrest them? Hardly likely.

Flaming as ever. At least the protestors have not resorted to armed insurrection and burning down buildings like the red rioters ( terrorists ) did in 2010. By far the lesser of 2 evils thus far....

How can you keep defending this puppet proxy government made up primarily of convicted criminals that is committing violent attacks against civilians ?

Taksin / PT / UDD / Red shits - Deritis of the worst kind !

• Like 1

Silly to declare the state of emergency. Why Wednesday and not now? Why at all? And shouldn't it be the PM to declare it and not Chalerm? Probably the missunderstood fugitive instructed it all. Now see how the new CAPO will (not) behave. They are renamed the Peacekeeping Center. Will see if that name is correct.

It's their only option. They can't force any loans to pay off the farmers, who've stopped believing their lies. They have to gamble the army will still avoid a coup and therefore they buy more time. Get the election "sorted" then back to the agenda.

My Thai friends are genuinely seething at this. They all now see the long term aims of the clan and want them out. This is going to get very nasty.

Has Chalerm been promoted back to caretaker DPM or is that a reporting error?

If you're looking for a fall guy.......................

Trusted cousin and friend representing the power now, puppet on ice by the look of it.

Still, the missunderstood fugitive is very very smart and he has no scruples whatsoever. He'll have some more cards up his sleeve.

I think even you can recall when city of BKK was jeopardized and burnt in 2010, because of some red shirts .... they were terrorists.

Moreover, some lunatic thrown bombs and shot into the peaceful protesters. They were terrorists - most probably pro-gov red shirt - I'd say communists.

Please don't drink before commenting, but consult with a dictionary, where you can find exact meaning of "terrorist". Just don't take on your red glasses smile.png

Communists? Seriously? It's 2014 and the chances of finding a commie under the bed in Thailand at these events is as high as some elderly farangs letting go of their 1950's era paranoia.

Dude, I've read it over and over and yeah, he actually used the word communist! My question is, did he type that with a straight face?