Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

strange that the BBC has had very little coverage so far of the action although they and other UK newsites are covering the Ukraine trouble all the time

Ukraine and the supposed majority wanting to join the European Community rather than the Russian Federation is highly newsworthy to the BBC which happens to be in........ Europe.

The world is perhaps somewhat desensitized to this stuff in Thailand after 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013-2014, Easy for world to say this is just Thailand acting like Thailand again. The daily difficulties Thais confront pale in comparison to those confronted by those from. Ukraine or Russia.

• Like 2

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

Yup, terrorist is a harsh word, most people believed and wished for peaceful protests. Nobody knows who is to blame for the bombs etc (except the ones that did it I guess) My guees would be neither side but more likely to be insurgents from the south taking advantage of a weaked situation but then again, I don't know either!

Hmm! IMO the Insurgents are more likely to join forces with the Anti Government Demonstraters, rather than bomb them!

yeah I can see that too, but they have no affiliations, just an opportunist bang. If the bomb the anti gov protesters blame will go towards the government supporters and hence the government which gives them a result of more chaos. all supposition and probably miles off target, it was just a thought

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless there is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

Will make no difference

they will keep marching wherever they want

Suthep and Co. know that if PTP / Police try to stop them there will be a lot more bloodshed

IMO Suthep wanted this .. works in his favor

YL ... do the right thing for the first time in two years ... quit ... and go to dubai

"they will keep marching wherever they want"

Millwall supporters are they?

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

Or he may wish to try to get a life.-

Here we go again:

RT @fratticcioli: RT @PravitR: #Suthep vow 2 shutdown all air traffic in #Thailand by taking over #AeroThai which control air signal tomorrow.

He's the loose cannon, but does he have anyone left?

Shutting down air traffic control does not only affect Thai airports but also airplanes flying over Thai airspace. How will he explain if he causes two jets to collide in mid-air? Yingluck's fault if an airplane from Australia to Japan crashes?

Apart from your senseless posts about 'dumps' you need to brush up on your geography.

The Australia to Japan route doesn't come anyway near Thailand. In the unlikely event that the air traffic control is shut down, planes will be diverted to alternative flight paths.

IMO Suthep's 'vow' is a stupid move if he attempts it & he probably won't succeed anyway.

• Like 2

I guess someone lost something in the translation, but new information out

RT @PravitR: Correction: It's not clear at this stage if #PDRC has intention 2 disrupt civilian air traffic. My apology 4 jumping 2 conclusion. #ป

There are contingencies in place if they try to do that....but if they do try, he will lose the scintilla of respect he still enjoys...forever. Thais would never forgive him

• Like 2

What about yingluck's brother, is he a terrorist or a sponsor of terrorists ?

Very sad, that this has to happen. Politicians are there to solve problems through talks, negotiations, compromises and win-win solutions. They should not create anarchy. Please Thailand wake up and choose for more sensible solutions. The damage to the economy and tourism are dramatic. Fight corruption and fight for a democratic process!! Chokdee!

The final desperate move of a frightened group of crooks, con artists, terrorists, con men, thugs, bully boys, intimidators and corrupt VERMIN.

The vast majority of the Thai people are looking forward to the election on Feb 2 nd and saying "Our day will come!" It's about time they swept the streets.

You really need to keep up.

Latest poll shows 53% wanting a reform council and 17% wanting elections

Even if they allow leprechauns the vote, your still buggered

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Awesome response.

There is a good deal more than that, too. 80% of those polled took no part in the marches from Jan 15-17 according to BP. Could you share a link to that latest poll, p[lease?

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless their is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

if they are on their last legs ,why do the protestors not let the country vote?

Umm because voting for corruption is not really a good idea but Claudius did not care about that either did he?

RT @PravitR: Correction: It's not clear at this stage if #PDRC has intention 2 disrupt civilian air traffic. My apology 4 jumping 2 conclusion. #ป

There are contingencies in place if they try to do that....but if they do try, he will lose the scintilla of respect he still enjoys...forever. Thais would never forgive him

Hey Mr Prbkk what happened to your answer??

I know that it was kind of difficult to answer as you dug yourself into a bit of a hole with that silly remark of yours!!

Checkmate! Time to clean the streets and bring Suthep to justice.

I think you see CHESS has just begun and you are calling a victory before the start whistle has been blown.

I think this is but part of a desperate plan by Yinny and CAPO because they have no money to pay farmers and need the army to take over so they can say "SEE they took the money away from us"

NOT WORKING GUYS and any of you on here thinking this government is democratic need to get off the drugs and booze and get a life.

Mugabe has democracy too by these standards. people Voted him in ... hahahahahha

The odd thing is, over the past week, I've seen FEWER Thai police on the streets of downtown BKK than any time I can remember in years.

It's almost been like they all have disappeared, at least around my neighborhood. Don't even see them driving around on their motorcycles to make their money pickups lately.

Wonder if that's going to change come tomorrow???

• Like 1

Will make no difference

they will keep marching wherever they want

Suthep and Co. know that if PTP / Police try to stop them there will be a lot more bloodshed

IMO Suthep wanted this .. works in his favor

YL ... do the right thing for the first time in two years ... quit ... and go to Dubai

I have to agree with you on this. Suthep will keep on doing what he does. They have an arrest warrant out for him and he has been in plain site all the time. Yet they couldn't get arrest him.

Now I am not sure what Yingluck thinks she can do other than step down, let it go as it is going or step up the violence by trying to enforce the emergency law.

Don't forget she is the leader people look to her for leadership. She has shown us that when the law is passed down to her from the constitutional court she just says I will ignore it. Good leadership that. Same attitude with the court on the Cambodia dispute. She says she doesn't care what they say she is not going to obey it. Seems to be a Shinawatra thing. Her brother has 15 charges pending that he is ignoring. Plus one conviction.

She does talk about the rule of law when it gets her what she wants. Got to give her credit for that.

Maybe if she had shown some leadership in the last two and a half years things would be different today.

As it sits there is a good chance she will be back. This time with less backing and hopefully a little bit of spine.

Someone just asked me an interesting question that I am sure some of the "experts" out there can answer.

This is a caretaker government with very limited powers (especially in financial matters) so does it have authority to pose a state of emergency?

Good question!! Any answers?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sure they do. They can't make decisions that will affect into the term of an incoming government such as signing an agreement that stretches into the period of an incoming government.

Declaring SOE is not one of those.

Hey Mr Prbkk what happened to your answer??

I know that it was kind of difficult to answer as you dug yourself into a bit of a hole with that silly remark of yours!!

Answer? Not sure which question but I still believe there will be much movement and negotiating of positions over the next 2 weeks. I don't see gloom here....this cannot be a win /lose....I believe some positives will come and that some "good people" are going to come into the picture very soon(in a positive way)!to work with YL

It is reassuring to see that the number of 'likes' in this TV forum is split almost 50/50 for and against the current Government.

It is frustrating to see so many farangs actively and openly supporting 'reds' or 'yellows', whilst they should be remembering their position of guests.

Personally I was crying out for a Coup for exactly a means to stop total madness and disorder.

At the end of the day ask yourself one question: - Is there an alternative to elections?

I really do not care if 'reds' or 'yellows' win as long as it is an election they are winning. Anything else will be deadly to the country and to us all.

Any farang not understanding this is an idiot deserving whatever will be coming. And it will be ugly, believe me.