Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

Funny thing is this State of Emergency may be just what is needed for the EC to call off the February 2nd Election and choose a different date. It certainly falls into their remit.

And so strange that it's set at 60days not 30days...

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

""The cabinet decided to invoke the emergency decree to take care of the situation and to enforce the law," And just who will they get to take care of the situation? Ghostbusters?

They got Chalerm! Much more comical than ghostbusters.
Who needs Chalerm when they have Nicky? Far bigger story there

Nah, only by about 7 inches!

17:42 as reported on the Nation and posted on TV: A Government Deputy Spokesman said the Cabint did not consider a Emergency Decree bcause basically everything was going ok without the Decree.

Yet in less than an hour at about 18:24 the Emergency Decree was announced.

The Deputy Prime Minister made the announcement and not the Prime Minister .........

Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?????????

Or another case of "Bait and Switch"

• Like 1

I have no idea what may I wait from Thais if you guys act here as mad dog packs.

Sad, really sad.

This is not your contry at all, you are foreigner here forever and almost kill each-other about this red and yellow idiocy.

Really, what can be expected from Thais?

I guess it's time to wake up.

No mad dogs...negotiated solution, farmers will be paid, a few bones will be thrown, no panties in a twist, life will go on....

(Moderate confidence)

At last someone has the nerve to stand up to these thugs it would never happen in the western world you cannot have people just causing mayhem . Khun Suthep has had every opportunity to have dialogue with those he has a grudge with but has declined every invitation he Suthep wants to install an unelected peoples council who would be made up of the elite of Thailand that is not democracy far from it. With a bit of luck Bangkok people can get back to a more normal life if you opposes government then you do it by the ballot box the main opposition decided not to register for the coming elections that to me was a very bad move I hope that those who have camped up in bkk will now go home and allow those who want to live in peace get on with there lives the police should arrest all the leaders involved in this mayhem and lock them up until after the elections I am not a supporter of either party but the man in Dubai gave the poor of Thailand the right to vote something Suthep and his rogues would never have done.

Sounds like you mean the red shirts havoc in Bangkok 2010.

Here we go again:

RT @fratticcioli: RT @PravitR: #Suthep vow 2 shutdown all air traffic in #Thailand by taking over #AeroThai which control air signal tomorrow.

He's the loose cannon, but does he have anyone left?

Just been reading the most outrageous slanders of Suthep Thaugsabon:

"Suthep himself was forced to step down as a lawmaker in 2009 after it emerged he violated the constitution by holding a stake in a media company that had been granted government concessions.

He was also involved in a corruption scandal in 1995 in which he was found to have granted plots of land intended for the poor to wealthy families on the island of Phuket.

In an early sign of his willingness to employ rabble-rousing tactics, Suthep called on his supporters to march on Bangkok to defend him. But the outcry led to parliament being dissolved and the Democrats losing the subsequent election.

Despite that, Suthep was deputy prime minister in the unelected, Democrat-led government installed after the overthrow of Thaksin.

He played a major role in the bloody crackdown on the Bangkok street protests of 2010 that prompted the fall of that administration and resulted in the 2011 Puea Thai election victory. A total of 92 people died. In October, Suthep was indicted by Thailand's Office of the Attorney General for issuing the orders that allowed the military to open fire on the protesters.

Perhaps because of his mixed past, few of the demonstrators massing outside government ministries want to see Suthep become the country's leader."

Makes him sound worse than Thaksin!

These arnt slanders it is 100% the truth. I wouldnt say hes worse than Thaksin by any means but he is not much better and why most of us realised when this began it is a a false freedom movement lead by a corrupt and very questionable disgraced politician.

The fact that many ignore his background here simply because he started blowing a whistle is hardly surprising as they dont really understand how corrupt the country as always been.

Those that have thier origins in Nana will never understand. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

"Chalerm said the government had to invoke the emergency decree to announce the state of emergency because the protests by the People's Democratic Reform Committee had turned violent."

All those government apologists /red's who said what do the government have to gain from grenades being thrown... there ya go.. out of the alcholics mouth.

there ya go.. out of the "headless" alcholics mouth.

• Like 2

The kleptocracy's last desperate move. The protests were not peaceful? The government's problem is that the protests are succeeding. Despicable...

i was wondering the same... they were PEACEFUL all the time ! Till some red scumbags started to trow granates etc.....

Those pomegranates can be deadly. This is a fragmentation pomegranate.

A-pomegranate-007.jpg

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

(although I never knew you were in the spelling police!)whistling.gif

I couldn't resist this one. laugh.png

strange that the BBC has had very little coverage so far of the action although they and other UK newsites are covering the Ukraine trouble all the time

Ukraine and the supposed majority wanting to join the European Community rather than the Russian Federation is highly newsworthy to the BBC which happens to be in........ Europe.

It's called "World Service" for a reason you know...

Sure it is.

BBC World just led with the story on their news

Nothing much to report in a world wide sense. The situation has been the same for 100 years.

Governments keep getting elected and 18 times at least, the Army or some backers have coup, rioted, shot or just generally forced them from Government.

Suthep is out there shrieking for Coup 19, but there is little violence (compared to other locations where people are fighting FOR democracy) and until there is, BBC just keep stating what is happening.

Most media see Elected Government underthreat AGAIN from priviieged classes and their paid mob.

They reported SOE as this is news (unlike Sutheps nightly ramblings and threats) BTW - - - did I hear again that the AIr Traffic control was under threat? that is in Suan Plu and they went there for a reason.

As the Army are now in charge of restoring order and protecting the state, it would be a brave man who embarassed The Army chief by shutting down airspace.

Like a small child, he seems to be pushing and pushing to see what he can get away with... and for how long. One day, he'll get a slap!!!! :)

• Like 1

Here we go again:

RT @fratticcioli: RT @PravitR: #Suthep vow 2 shutdown all air traffic in #Thailand by taking over #AeroThai which control air signal tomorrow.

Shutting down air traffic control does not only affect Thai airports but also airplanes flying over Thai airspace. How will he explain if he causes two jets to collide in mid-air? Yingluck's fault if an airplane from Australia to Japan crashes?

• Like 1

Just been reading the most outrageous slanders of Suthep Thaugsabon:

"Suthep himself was forced to step down as a lawmaker in 2009 after it emerged he violated the constitution by holding a stake in a media company that had been granted government concessions.

He was also involved in a corruption scandal in 1995 in which he was found to have granted plots of land intended for the poor to wealthy families on the island of Phuket.

In an early sign of his willingness to employ rabble-rousing tactics, Suthep called on his supporters to march on Bangkok to defend him. But the outcry led to parliament being dissolved and the Democrats losing the subsequent election.

Despite that, Suthep was deputy prime minister in the unelected, Democrat-led government installed after the overthrow of Thaksin.

He played a major role in the bloody crackdown on the Bangkok street protests of 2010 that prompted the fall of that administration and resulted in the 2011 Puea Thai election victory. A total of 92 people died. In October, Suthep was indicted by Thailand's Office of the Attorney General for issuing the orders that allowed the military to open fire on the protesters.

Perhaps because of his mixed past, few of the demonstrators massing outside government ministries want to see Suthep become the country's leader."

Makes him sound worse than Thaksin!

I haven't checked your facts so I'll assume they're correct. I've never particularly liked him myself.

One of you facts is misleading though. He issued orders allowing the military to open fire but the cases of those killed in 2010 that have been investigated show that the shots were fired in contravention of those orders but no action is being taken against the army.

The final desperate move of a frightened group of crooks, con artists, terrorists, con men, thugs, bully boys, intimidators and corrupt VERMIN.

The vast majority of the Thai people are looking forward to the election on Feb 2 nd and saying "Our day will come!" It's about time they

Your day will come...eh? I know where you're coming from. Adams & his republican (snap) cohorts have been saying that for over 30 years now. YAWN.

• Like 2

Do you understand the meaning of the word terrorist ? I suggest you look it up as the only extreme person is yourself for stating such a childish and inappropriate remark. Ridiculous comment. Come on be real please.

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

• Like 1

Finally and please get rid of all these Southern Thugs and Thai Chinese who think that their fathers own Bangkok! I do not support the red shirst, yellow shirts, thaksin, suthep or abhisit or the army. But I cannot condone any protesters who do not protest peacefully as they claim but seize roads, cause blockages and inconveniences to the citizens of the country and those residing in Bangkom legally. Its about time that the army, police and whatever government that is in power to rid these southern thugs (as them to go back to their normal mafia-like busineses in phuket, samui, phangna or their terrorists lifestyles in yala, pattani etc which are all under the democrat politicans but please do not make Bangkom into another one of their failed Southern provinces.And the thai chinese bangkokians and hisos and ammnart should realise by nowt hat though they think they own Thailand, this protests is also affecting their businesses and rice bowls, so enough.

If this was done in the US, Singapore, Japan etc, the protesters or rather terrorists (as they have been seizing public roads and disrupting businesses , do not care what they do to the government entities but causing inconveniences to the public is a form of terrorism), they would be dead by now. Enough is enough. take your protests back to the South.

And to those stupid people joining the protests (unless you ae getting paid to attend. whatever the outcome, your lives will be the same as all Politicans are corrupted in this country and they will only enrich themselves not you. You want change, ereadicate all politians (past and present and seize back all theri properties....I mean all Politicians from every party and also past politicans and high ranking government officials (past and present), the maybe you guys are on the right track.

"Finally and please get rid of all these Southern Thugs and Thai Chinese who think that their fathers own Bangkok! I do not support the red shirst, yellow shirts, thaksin, suthep or abhisit or the army."

BS

If this was done in the US, Singapore, Japan etc, the protesters or rather terrorists (as they have been seizing public roads and disrupting businesses , do not care what they do to the government entities but causing inconveniences to the public is a form of terrorism), they would be dead by now. Enough is enough. take your protests back to the South.

If the government in those countries were as openly in your face as this one the protestors would not have a chance to protest. those countries unlike Thailand have checks and balances to stop that kind of corruption. The governments would all be out on their ears in a flash. You are comparing apples to elephants.

edit

Spelling

Edited by northernjohn

Violence was inevitable. The State of Emergency was inevitable. Trying to draw the last breath from a country's capital is not a peaceful protest. "Peaceful" was just a tactic used by Suthep who is trying to edge the country towards civil war. I am no fan of Thaksin, but Yingluck has been handling this as well as she possibly could have and what is the alternative? Surrender to a "People's Council"?

So sad, and up to now relatively peaceful considering the size of the crowds. But RIP to those who have lost someone. This is a dumb move, and more violence is now inevitable.

• Like 1

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

Yup, terrorist is a harsh word, most people believed and wished for peaceful protests. Nobody knows who is to blame for the bombs etc (except the ones that did it I guess) My guees would be neither side but more likely to be insurgents from the south taking advantage of a weaked situation but then again, I don't know either!

Hmm! IMO the Insurgents are more likely to join forces with the Anti Government Demonstraters, rather than bomb them!

I would LOVE to respect your vote.... 11 Million People voted for the Democrats last time. 13 Million for the TRT. Why is it that the difference in Parliament is not 13% ???! Because the Shin clan “Seng Sae Ku” (เส็ง แซ่คู) of Chinese descend changed the constituencies before the elections. Hence if you would respect MY VOTE the difference in seats in parliament would only be 23 seats. A great base to start another Government, wouldn't you say?

The Democrats were in power before the elections. How did Thaksin change the constituencies?

The difference in seats doesn't match the difference in votes because each constituency gets different percentages. In one seat PTP may have won with 30% of the vote, and in another the Democrats may have won with 40%. That's a 10% difference, but 1 seat each.

• Like 1

Will make no difference

they will keep marching wherever they want

Suthep and Co. know that if PTP / Police try to stop them there will be a lot more bloodshed

IMO Suthep wanted this .. works in his favor

YL ... do the right thing for the first time in two years ... quit ... and go to dubai

Someone just asked me an interesting question that I am sure some of the "experts" out there can answer.

This is a caretaker government with very limited powers (especially in financial matters) so does it have authority to pose a state of emergency?

That's a very good question. Anyone?

Here we go again:

Shutting down air traffic control does not only affect Thai airports but also airplanes flying over Thai airspace. How will he explain if he causes two jets to collide in mid-air? Yingluck's fault if an airplane from Australia to Japan crashes?

That would never happen. If there is the slightest danger of shutting down air control then airlines would immediately change their routes.

just phoned the wife and told her you said she was a terrorist for peacefully protesting ...thumbsup.gif ans...loud laughter,and then how old is he......

I take it your wife did not the the see the savage attack on a Bangkok taxi driver 2 weeks ago or the assault which hospitalized the two policemen or the brutal assault which left a journalist from The Nation unconscious. I assume the random attacks on street vendors has also gone unnoticed.

Next time you phone your wife tell her to take of her yellow tinted glasses and open her eyes. She might get a surprise.

Very good Voodoo Ray. So based on those incidents all Thais are violent thugs then.

We all know there has been some violence and there is no excuse for it but it doesn't mean tat the protesters in general are violent. My wife and went to the protests a few weeks back. She is violent and doesn't support Suthep beyond wanting to get rid of corruption and Thaksin's influence.

Most protesters on both sides aren't violent. I live around red shirts and I've never seen any animosity. So far these protests seem to be less violent than in 2010 although that might change. The main difference between then and now is there was a lot of open incitement to violence from the leaders which isn't so apparent this time. A point worth remembering if Suthep ever comes to trial for insurrection.

I hope that was a slip of the keyboard when you described your wife as violent - if not, watch your back at all times and seek a divorce before it's too late!!!!

• Like 1

The kleptocracy's last desperate move. The protests were not peaceful? The government's problem is that the protests are succeeding. Despicable...

What movie are you watching? Unless of course, the goal is handing cash to Stuphet in which case he may be succeeding.

What movie have you been watching i have been to all sites and they have all been peaceful and well kept clean streets people are calm and at time with entertainment there is even a festival feeling to it. are you even located in bkk been to the sites or just getting your info online or from a redshirt wife?

did you miss that the PTP voter base from nuea and isaan now are joining the anti government protests this is why they impose the emergency decree...