Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

Someone just asked me an interesting question that I am sure some of the "experts" out there can answer.

This is a caretaker government with very limited powers (especially in financial matters) so does it have authority to pose a state of emergency?

I'm not convinced it can authorise the purchase of a pencil

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone just asked me an interesting question that I am sure some of the "experts" out there can answer.

This is a caretaker government with very limited powers (especially in financial matters) so does it have authority to pose a state of emergency?

Furthermore how on Zog's name are they expecting to carry out a believable "free and fair election" under a SoE?

• Like 2

Let the games begin.

".................Thius This isnt about suthep, its about the people of Thailand, they deserve to have a corruption free govt and not have all the countries money put into the ptp's personal bank accounts......."

But they will settle for a corrupt government of their own choosing

• Like 1

At last someone has the nerve to stand up to these thugs it would never happen in the western world you cannot have people just causing mayhem . Khun Suthep has had every opportunity to have dialogue with those he has a grudge with but has declined every invitation he Suthep wants to install an unelected peoples council who would be made up of the elite of Thailand that is not democracy far from it. With a bit of luck Bangkok people can get back to a more normal life if you opposes government then you do it by the ballot box the main opposition decided not to register for the coming elections that to me was a very bad move I hope that those who have camped up in bkk will now go home and allow those who want to live in peace get on with there lives the police should arrest all the leaders involved in this mayhem and lock them up until after the elections I am not a supporter of either party but the man in Dubai gave the poor of Thailand the right to vote something Suthep and his rogues would never have done.

Can anyone say WALL STREET.

WATTS

University anti war protests

I get a kick out of the righteous folks here. Every country has gone through this some us are old enough to remember some of us study history

Some of just chose to ignore.

Not to mention the 100,000 1967 March on the Pentagon.

The final desperate move of a frightened group of crooks, con artists, terrorists, con men, thugs, bully boys, intimidators and corrupt VERMIN.

The vast majority of the Thai people are looking forward to the election on Feb 2 nd and saying "Our day will come!" It's about time they swept the streets.

You really need to keep up.

Latest poll shows 53% wanting a reform council and 17% wanting elections

Even if they allow leprechauns the vote, your still buggered

Awesome response.

• Like 1

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

just phoned the wife and told her you said she was a terrorist for peacefully protesting ...thumbsup.gif ans...loud laughter,and then how old is he......

I take it your wife did not the the see the savage attack on a Bangkok taxi driver 2 weeks ago or the assault which hospitalized the two policemen or the brutal assault which left a journalist from The Nation unconscious. I assume the random attacks on street vendors has also gone unnoticed.

Next time you phone your wife tell her to take of her yellow tinted glasses and open her eyes. She might get a surprise.

Very good Voodoo Ray. So based on those incidents all Thais are violent thugs then.

We all know there has been some violence and there is no excuse for it but it doesn't mean tat the protesters in general are violent. My wife and went to the protests a few weeks back. She is violent and doesn't support Suthep beyond wanting to get rid of corruption and Thaksin's influence.

Most protesters on both sides aren't violent. I live around red shirts and I've never seen any animosity. So far these protests seem to be less violent than in 2010 although that might change. The main difference between then and now is there was a lot of open incitement to violence from the leaders which isn't so apparent this time. A point worth remembering if Suthep ever comes to trial for insurrection.

• Like 2

The next step will be another military coup.

One thing is sure and that is Yingluck has run out of luck.

She pushed hers to far by avoiding all her appointed work and pushing for Thaksin's return.

Wasn't that her job description when BB appointed her?

In that sense she has fulfilled her role. Hardly her fault that her brother's business plan went awry.

Edited by bigbamboo

Silly to declare the state of emergency. Why Wednesday and not now? Why at all? And shouldn't it be the PM to declare it and not Chalerm? Probably the missunderstood fugitive instructed it all. Now see how the new CAPO will (not) behave. They are renamed the Peacekeeping Center. Will see if that name is correct.

Gives them one day to either 1) disperse by themselves 2) strengthen their fortresses (?) or get the Army ready to clear them out.

1) Never in a hundred years.

2) More likely thousands of people mobilizing themselves to hit BKK to protect the protest.

3) The army will never use force against the protesters. They are peaceful from the start. The police may try it, and we may see a token death or two, and that will be the end of it. The army will stage the coup that they want, and the police will be run out of town with the government.

This government is playing right into Suthep's hands. This will be their final mistake.

Next Monday on tinfoil hat adjustment day, at any protest blockade if any are left, you can surrender your tinfoil hat for a new tinfoil crown with 3 gold stars. Congratulations and well earned...

strange that the BBC has had very little coverage so far of the action although they and other UK newsites are covering the Ukraine trouble all the time

Ukraine and the supposed majority wanting to join the European Community rather than the Russian Federation is highly newsworthy to the BBC which happens to be in........ Europe.

It's called "World Service" for a reason you know...

Sure it is.

BBC World just led with the story on their news

Finally and please get rid of all these Southern Thugs and Thai Chinese who think that their fathers own Bangkok! I do not support the red shirst, yellow shirts, thaksin, suthep or abhisit or the army. But I cannot condone any protesters who do not protest peacefully as they claim but seize roads, cause blockages and inconveniences to the citizens of the country and those residing in Bangkom legally. Its about time that the army, police and whatever government that is in power to rid these southern thugs (as them to go back to their normal mafia-like busineses in phuket, samui, phangna or their terrorists lifestyles in yala, pattani etc which are all under the democrat politicans but please do not make Bangkom into another one of their failed Southern provinces.And the thai chinese bangkokians and hisos and ammnart should realise by nowt hat though they think they own Thailand, this protests is also affecting their businesses and rice bowls, so enough.

If this was done in the US, Singapore, Japan etc, the protesters or rather terrorists (as they have been seizing public roads and disrupting businesses , do not care what they do to the government entities but causing inconveniences to the public is a form of terrorism), they would be dead by now. Enough is enough. take your protests back to the South.

And to those stupid people joining the protests (unless you ae getting paid to attend. whatever the outcome, your lives will be the same as all Politicans are corrupted in this country and they will only enrich themselves not you. You want change, ereadicate all politians (past and present and seize back all theri properties....I mean all Politicians from every party and also past politicans and high ranking government officials (past and present), the maybe you guys are on the right track.

So we have the southern thugs....the northern thugs.....Nonthaburi, PathumThani, Samut Prakan and other local thugs.....who's left?

But I do agree.....politicians in Thailand, at all levels, are the leaders in corruption and graft......!

Can they be eliminated from governing......I hope so, but cannot see it ever happening

I have no idea what may I wait from Thais if you guys act here as mad dog packs.

Sad, really sad.

This is not your contry at all, you are foreigner here forever and almost kill each-other about this red and yellow idiocy.

Really, what can be expected from Thais?

I guess it's time to wake up.

Edited by Loles
  • Like 1

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

I would LOVE to respect your vote.... 11 Million People voted for the Democrats last time. 13 Million for the TRT. Why is it that the difference in Parliament is not 13% ???! Because the Shin clan “Seng Sae Ku” (เส็ง แซ่คู) of Chinese descend changed the constituencies before the elections. Hence if you would respect MY VOTE the difference in seats in parliament would only be 23 seats. A great base to start another Government, wouldn't you say?

This must be the 10th time you've repeated the same thing about changed constituencies, despite the fact I've challenged you every time I've seen it. You've not replied to any of my posts and go on repeating it tirelessly. Why? Did you even read the replies? And if you're not going to bother reading replies, why bother posting in the first place...

Also pointing out that the Shinawatras are Sino-Thai reminds me of those who continually feel the need to point out his enemies are also Sino-Thai. Why is it relevant?

This is from freedomhouse.org. It states the exact opposite of what rebelplatoon is saying.

"Puea Thai ultimately won the parliamentary elections outright, taking 265 of 500 seats in the lower house. The DP placed second with 159 seats, and small parties divided the remainder. For the 500-seat lower chamber, the House of Representatives, the new constitution altered the system of proportional representation to curtail the voting power of the northern and northeastern provinces, where support for Thaksin remains strong. Whereas the old Senate was fully elected, the Senate created by the 2007 charter consists of 77 elected members and 73 appointed by a committee of judges and members of independent government bodies. Senators, who serve six-year terms, cannot belong to political parties. For the 500-seat lower chamber, the House of Representatives, the new constitution altered the system of proportional representation to curtail the voting power of the northern and northeastern provinces, where support for Thaksin remains strong."

Since then they have gone to a two tiered election system where 375 congress members are voted by districts, and 125 are proportionally allocated to the percentage of votes won nationwide in a second vote. This may not apply to the current scenario.

I do not know what part of this is outdated, nor enforced, nor true, but I am reporting it in good faith.

If you read the link, it reads like an echo of what is going on now in many ways. http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2012/thailand#.Ut56jdL-K02

Cheers.

smile.png

Suthep is having a field day on the stage tonight.

He doesn't give a shit really. He knows the emergency decree will be no different to the ISA toothless and sterile.

I have never seen him laugh so much in one of his speeches.

Edited by poisonus

The final desperate move of a frightened group of crooks, con artists, terrorists, con men, thugs, bully boys, intimidators and corrupt VERMIN.

The vast majority of the Thai people are looking forward to the election on Feb 2 nd and saying "Our day will come!" It's about time they swept the streets.

You really need to keep up.

Latest poll shows 53% wanting a reform council and 17% wanting elections

Even if they allow leprechauns the vote, your still buggered

Awesome response.

another lying poll there are more for elections than against even here let alone only 17% on Thailand total and utter bs, link please.

I'm not convinced it can authorise the purchase of a pencil

I read in the other paper that EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong says that a caretaker cabinet amongst other things cannot approve any work or project which may affect an election.

This was said and written before the SOE

At last someone has the nerve to stand up to these thugs it would never happen in the western world you cannot have people just causing mayhem . Khun Suthep has had every opportunity to have dialogue with those he has a grudge with but has declined every invitation he Suthep wants to install an unelected peoples council who would be made up of the elite of Thailand that is not democracy far from it. With a bit of luck Bangkok people can get back to a more normal life if you opposes government then you do it by the ballot box the main opposition decided not to register for the coming elections that to me was a very bad move I hope that those who have camped up in bkk will now go home and allow those who want to live in peace get on with there lives the police should arrest all the leaders involved in this mayhem and lock them up until after the elections I am not a supporter of either party but the man in Dubai gave the poor of Thailand the right to vote something Suthep and his rogues would never have done.

No it wouldn't happen in the western world but then we wouldn't have a PM who has no experience of or interest in politics who is the sister of a convicted criminal who runs the party in power.

As for Thaksin giving people the right to vote why doesn't he come and join in the election then?

• Like 1

well according to you red shirt people SUphet had run its course so if that was so it would be bloody stupid to do this but fact is they are running scared so their last resort

??? are you stupid enough to think this will improve situation

well see and so will you this is not over by a long long way

Strange that this step comes now and so unexpectedly, one day after the head of the military advised against it.

So what has changed in the past few days that justifies such a drastic move?

- With the arrest of one of the team of attackers last night, it is time to censor the media?

- With the identity of one of the grenade throwers confirmed, that truth has to be hidden away?

- With the rice farmers about to ramp up their protests, the government is in a panic?

- The government are going to force banks to 'lend' them the money to 'pay the farmers', and the media should be quiet about it?

Whatever the background everyone should be aware that any news originating from Thailand should from now on be treated as suspect.

By placing brother Thaksin's long-term friend and benefactor (remember who gave him the monopoly contract that created his billions) in control, it is fair to assume that Thaksin is now firmly in the driving seat. Keep a watch out for moves that Thaksin has used before, a leopard can't change it's spots.

Sadly for those that have been calling for an election, any election result obtained under a state of emergency will not be respected internationally, and quite rightly be challenged.

Looks like the red-shirts got their coup after all.

• Like 2