Living in Chiang Mai on $500 a month?

CMfoodie

There's some guys who live in that apartment complex along from KSK for 3,500 a month and they're in Tops food court as soon as it opens.

Then they are off to Chiang Mai Orchid next door to spend the whole day using the gym, pool, showers etc.

Then they are back in the food court for an evening meal.

Then they go to their room and watch TV, play Internet, read or whatever takes their fancy.

Looking at their rent which is about $110 month

Food Court about $100 a month (2x50 baht)

I guess it's doable, not everyone's cup of tea but if that's their lifestyle......up to them and good luck.

You know, I think I would love to spend a year doing that. But not the rest of my life. Thanks for highlighting a new option for me.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today:

Breakfast at Rimping Maya 59 baht

Hunger Games Movie 80 baht

Japanese Set Meal (with nice A/C and indoor seating) 129 baht

A nice morning / early afternoon at Maya for 268 baht

Unlimited amazing deals in CM

That's pretty good for one morning/ early afternoon pastime.......at this rate of entertainment for 3/4 of a day you'll spend 8,308B during the month - 3,308B more than the 5,000B budget - before actual living takes place.....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

anyhow will take a closer look but can absolutely guarantee before looking that your are not going to get out the door having paid just 20 baht in anything like recent times.

Bodhi Zen is much more expensive that most of the others, but I assure you that there are plenty of places that one can get a decent vegetarian meal for 20 baht in Chiang Mai and they are on that link. I eat in them every day.

Several of them probably....

I''d have to disagree that small incomes means 'non-existent healthy food options'. I could eat pretty well, good vegies, fruits, eggs, tofu, brown rice, oats at 200 baht/day. If really pinched, 120 baht/day. That would be survival economy for me. Very grateful i'm not in that mode.

And Vagabond, just where can i find the Sikhs. Hindus and vegetarians giving away meals in CM?

I believe all Sikh temples give free food. They did back in British Columbia. The big ones I had heard were around the clock. The one next door to us was for sure on Sundays not sure of the other days. All though there always seemed to be some one around them in the day time.

Where are the Sikh temples in Chiang Mai?

Thanks.

Found one!

134 Charoenrat Road, same location for 107 years, how did we miss it?

Edited by Dante99

I think this amount while doable means a very very mean streak of nude getting daily and it is tiring after a while maybe after a month

I have seen people struggling with $1000 a month and it's not pretty ...I frankly won't wish this on anyone to try to retire with $500 a month

It would not be a good way to live in CM or back home overseas

Hello, I'm moving to Thailand and my budget is $10 a day. I think this is enough. 2k baht a month is enough for a good apartment. These guys saying you cannot live on such and such amount have obviously never lived in Thailand and are probably naive tourists. I can find rooms for 1k a MONTH in Bangkok, yes, Bangkok(it's not an expensive place at all despite the myths). So Chiang Mai would be just as cheap if not cheaper. What are these guys spending so much money on??? Thais support entire families on $10 a day. This is not a "miserable" existence as many have said. It is easy to live on this amount. $500 a month is a crazy amount of money.

$ 10 a day is less than the minimum salary in Thailand. So obviously you are not telling the truth. And a room for 1k a month in Bangkok, I would not let my dog sleep in Edited by larsjohnsson

Hello, I'm moving to Thailand and my budget is $10 a day. I think this is enough. 2k baht a month is enough for a good apartment. These guys saying you cannot live on such and such amount have obviously never lived in Thailand and are probably naive tourists. I can find rooms for 1k a MONTH in Bangkok, yes, Bangkok(it's not an expensive place at all despite the myths). So Chiang Mai would be just as cheap if not cheaper. What are these guys spending so much money on??? Thais support entire families on $10 a day. This is not a "miserable" existence as many have said. It is easy to live on this amount. $500 a month is a crazy amount of money.

$ 10 a day is less than the minimum salary in Thailand. So obviously you are not telling the truth. And a room for 1k a month in Bangkok, I would not let my dog sleep in

Yeap this kind of dreams fuel people to make unrealistic plans to come here and then moan about all the laws

You need money to retire ...$30 USD a room a month ??? Please post pictures of reality of the room and the neighborhood and decide if there is where you wish to stay for 10-30 years of retirement

I don't think anyone on that budget will has access to the health plans and insurance as well which makes it a big social burden ...

$ 10 a day is less than the minimum salary in Thailand. So obviously you are not telling the truth. And a room for 1k a month in Bangkok, I would not let my dog sleep in

Yeap this kind of dreams fuel people to make unrealistic plans to come here and then moan about all the laws

You need money to retire ...$30 USD a room a month ??? Please post pictures of reality of the room and the neighborhood and decide if there is where you wish to stay for 10-30 years of retirement

I don't think anyone on that budget will has access to the health plans and insurance as well which makes it a big social burden ...

Well for the 1,000 baht a month accommodation I am wondering how far to the out house for a dump. Also how can he stay in Thailand legally for any period of time with that kind of an income? He is just another poor deluded person being supported by people who live on far more than that.

On the other hand and it is some thing that should be mentioned he may have mental problems and not require amusement. Four walls and end less walking. Possibly some good old fashioned American dumpster diving.

I think a person (especially younger than the typical TVer) with a simple lifestyle (no booze, smokes, paid GFs, drugs, health issues) can live here in CM on 300B a day. Food is practically free here. There is CM Vegetarian Society for a free lunch 5 days a week (when they are not protesting), the Hindu and Sikh, Tuesday and Friday for dinner and probably left over food for another 2 to 4 meals, make a fast a least once week. Use a bicycle for your transportation. A lots of free entertainment. This is a very carefree lifestyle with minimum concern for health care (heck I have always been healthy) or a return ticket.

Have you seen a person that never have any health issues, never get sick, never need a dentist or doctor ? And with this budget you can't afford any visa that let you stay longer. So you need Money to do visa runs to other countries also. And border runs for visa exemptions will not be good enough.

There's some guys who live in that apartment complex along from KSK for 3,500 a month and they're in Tops food court as soon as it opens.

Then they are off to Chiang Mai Orchid next door to spend the whole day using the gym, pool, showers etc.

Then they go to their room and watch TV, play Internet, read or whatever takes their fancy.

I guess it's doable, not everyone's cup of tea but if that's their lifestyle......up to them and good luck.

And they need Money for all their visa runs. And applying for new Tourist visas in Laos or Cambodia. Because they can't meet the fincial requirement for a ED, spouse or retirement visa on a budget like that

I previously made a mistake - the 8,300B for 2/3's of a days entertainment would take up approximately 1/2 of the op's money.....if you guess 4,000B for a room - needed transportation of some sort - groceries - hygene products - Mama noodles or other bring home food/milk/coffee/cookies etc......the initial cost to set up.....TV or Wifi costs.....

Long/tough row to hoe.....

Keep on dreaming. Supporting an entire family on $ 10 a day, including food and rent. Even a Thai person sweeping the street make more money than that.

And a home in Bangkok for 1000 baht a month, yes sure

Keep on dreaming. Supporting an entire family on $ 10 a day, including food and rent. Even a Thai person sweeping the street make more money than that.

And a home in Bangkok for 1000 baht a month, yes sure

Thai's are also living in family homes that have been passed down or communal living - some using so little electricity that they don't have to pay (free below a certain level) - grow or raise some of their own food or get from other members of the family - shop at local markets where the pricing is a good percentage below CM/semi farang land and are usually established through their local temple which offers a form of support system - a lot take a bucket bath with no hot water & wash clothes by hand - if they do have kitchens they are usually outdoors or a one burner stove - the sinks could be outside & no modern conveniences - an old fridge - going out to eat is usually reserved for family get togethers or travel and resourses are often pooled - - - - quite a different existence than a farang trying to crack Chiang Mai......

Really? Street sweepers make more than 320 baht per day? Waiters, gas pump operators too?

The security guards in my condo makes 10k a month. And they work 6 day a week. So that's more than $ 10 a day. And they don't need any money for visa and visa runs. And like other Thai people they have a kind of health insurence at guvernment hospitals

Edited by khunerik

And they need Money for all their visa runs. And applying for new Tourist visas in Laos or Cambodia. Because they can't meet the fincial requirement for a ED, spouse or retirement visa on a budget like that

I left that out and figured anyone reading it would guess what the other $290 a month was for (110,000 baht pa).

How do you know they can't meet the financial requirements, they might be worth more than you.

Maybe they have a lump sum put away for retirement visa and medical insurance?

The guys I see certainly don't look like they're hurting, they seem cheerful enough.

If that's how they choose to spend their life up to them and good luck.

You can't tell a book by looking at the cover.

True there are some who like to and can actually live like a local and feel happy about it

Certainly not something I would think is the majority since most Thais also want to improve livelihood and live better

For me I like a mix of both ...some days at Four Seasons and some days at my fav 30 baht luk Ching store and I have not found digs as yet lower than 8000 baht which I will find acceptable but that's just me :)

Really? Street sweepers make more than 320 baht per day? Waiters, gas pump operators too?

Well they may be on the minimum wage but it is a six day week for them. Also many of them have shared accommodations. Or are family members living together. Now if he wanted to go and live in a mountain village and learn how to live of the land it would be doable. Also the chance of immigration nailing him would be considerably reduced.

Well they may be on the minimum wage but it is a six day week for them. Also many of them have shared accommodations. Or are family members living together. Now if he wanted to go and live in a mountain village and learn how to live of the land it would be doable. Also the chance of immigration nailing him would be considerably reduced.

Yup and there are a few doing it.

Not such a bad life if that's all a person wants.

I left that out and figured anyone reading it would guess what the other $290 a month was for (110,000 baht pa).

How do you know they can't meet the financial requirements, they might be worth more than you.

The guys I see certainly don't look like they're hurting, they seem cheerful enough.

I take it then that these people have told you they have the required amount of money to live in Thailand legally. 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht guaranteed income. But choose to just live on $500 a month even though they can afford more. How many of these people do you know well enough to illicit that kind of information out of and were they sober when they passed it on to you? Also they can no longer make an unlimited number of visa runs.

I take it then that these people have told you they have the required amount of money to live in Thailand legally. 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht guaranteed income. But choose to just live on $500 a month even though they can afford more. How many of these people do you know well enough to illicit that kind of information out of and were they sober when they passed it on to you? Also they can no longer make an unlimited number of visa runs.

Please look at the words 'How do you know'.......'they might be'.......'Maybe'.......'they seem'

These words will give you a clue whether I have elicited that particular information from them or not.

What I DO know is the rent, food costs in KSK food court and an idea of what they do in the evening.......how I know is really none of your business. smile.png

Also they can no longer make an unlimited number of visa runs.

Someone in the visa run business just told me that rule has been rescinded for everyone but Russians and Koreans. Most foreigners are back to going by the old rules. I can not verify this, but she speaks English really well and is really hot looking, so I tend to believe her. wub.png

Also they can no longer make an unlimited number of visa runs.

Someone in the visa run business just told me that rule has been rescinded for everyone but Russians and Koreans. Most foreigners are back to going by the old rules. I can not verify this, but she speaks English really well and is really hot looking, so I tend to believe her. wub.png

Ulysses, if true that is major news for a lot of people living here. I need to check the visa section of this forum more often to see what is up.

She was really convincing and I've known her a while and always found her credible. One problem though is, even under the old rules, you could never be sure that you would be allowed to do multiple runs, but most people seemed to get away with it. The current government had ruled it out completely, but, according to her, they have backtracked.

To me it's rather obvious that at least 95% and probably 99% of the farangs that try to survive on $ 10 a day doesn't have 800 k in the bank. Or 65k in monthly income.

And going out of the country on visa runs many times every year would eat up months of their budget.

Edited by larsjohnsson

She was really convincing and I've known her a while and always found her credible. One problem though is, even under the old rules, you could never be sure that you would be allowed to do multiple runs, but most people seemed to get away with it. The current government had ruled it out completely, but, according to her, they have backtracked.

Everyone I know got away with it for years. I never heard of one person being denied. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I don't think the government has changed it's policy. They were told two runs but also given authority to use discretion in making the decisions. I believe that if they are abusing it the Government will change their policy to eliminate the differences one rule for all. As it stands now we are not really hearing a lot about it from the people who were doing it. I take that to mean they are probably still getting away with it.Time will tell.

Please look at the words 'How do you know'.......'they might be'.......'Maybe'.......'they seem'

These words will give you a clue whether I have elicited that particular information from them or not.

What I DO know is the rent, food costs in KSK food court and an idea of what they do in the evening.......how I know is really none of your business. smile.png

Perhaps the words

Gave me the idea that you knew what you were talking about and not playing the magical improbable game of IF

Everyone I know got away with it for years. I never heard of one person being denied. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have known a few people who were told they could not come back to Mai Sai and they went somewhere else for a while or went and got a real visa. I have also known people who were thrown out of the country, but that was quite a while ago.

I was threatened with it myself, way back when, and so was my best friend, at a different embassy, around the same time.,It definitely happens from time to time.

Edited by Ulysses G.