Living in Chiang Mai on $500 a month?

CMfoodie

Yes, as stated, every death is a tragedy but we shouldnt expect Lanna Care Net on its own to pick up all the pieces. For all you guys who live the high life on US pensions and successful investments the cost of just one less upscale 1,000-baht meal a week soon adds up to help for the less fortunate. Its fashionable nowadays to donate to charities supporting dogs, (I have five rescued dogs so understand this), refugees, etc, but shouldnt we be supporting our own people first, wherever we come from?

OK, thats my take, but Im not about to post again on this thread, Im angry and sick to death of reading BS which does nothing to address the issue.

Mimi, I gather from previous posts that you've had a difficult time here after getting scammed by a fellow farang years ago, but I have to take exception to the idea of taking care of "our own people first". Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but If you mean that farangs should take care of farangs first, let me be the first to disagree. If I wanted to concern myself with with farangs, surely I would have stayed in my little corner of farangland? More than that, there seems to be an unpleasant racist undertone to what you're saying; but I apologise if I'm misunderstanding you.

I know I'm in a small minority here in that I spend almost all of my time with Thais, and rarely even see white people (as I don't live in the city); the reason being is that most of the white people I have met here are not the sort of people I would want to spend time with in my own country.

As far as the thread is concerned, it seems to be a typical case of hot air based on a misunderstanding of the mis-quoted source material.

ajarnsiam -- I hope you have health insurance thru your teaching position or the Thai people you live with and are trusting to take care of you are very wealthy and knowledgeable about how to care for elderly foreigners. Every month Lanna Care Net is confronted with elderly foreigners like yourself who have forsaken all connections with other foreigners -- thinking their Thai "families" will care for them. Those Thai "families" think the foreigner's Embassies will swoop in to send them back to their home countries or at least pay their medical bills when the going gets rough. Few people have any idea of the level of care needed when someone has suffered a stroke or is at end-of-life due to cancer.

If you're young and healthy -- that's great. Then there's the accident rate here that will get you. It's 20 times higher than in the west. You're not going to be able to hop on a plane to your home country for treatment after a major road accident and your Thai family will be hard pressed to pay that 500,000 baht ortho bill at Suan Dok.

Nancy, your post is unpleasantly patronising and based on assumptions that reflect on your limited horizons not me. I suggest you mind your own business.

can't handle the truth eh? i bet you don't even have health or accident insurance.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mimi, I gather from previous posts that you've had a difficult time here after getting scammed by a fellow farang years ago, but I have to take exception to the idea of taking care of "our own people first". Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but If you mean that farangs should take care of farangs first, let me be the first to disagree. If I wanted to concern myself with with farangs, surely I would have stayed in my little corner of farangland? More than that, there seems to be an unpleasant racist undertone to what you're saying; but I apologise if I'm misunderstanding you.

I know I'm in a small minority here in that I spend almost all of my time with Thais, and rarely even see white people (as I don't live in the city); the reason being is that most of the white people I have met here are not the sort of people I would want to spend time with in my own country.

As far as the thread is concerned, it seems to be a typical case of hot air based on a misunderstanding of the mis-quoted source material.

ajarnsiam -- I hope you have health insurance thru your teaching position or the Thai people you live with and are trusting to take care of you are very wealthy and knowledgeable about how to care for elderly foreigners. Every month Lanna Care Net is confronted with elderly foreigners like yourself who have forsaken all connections with other foreigners -- thinking their Thai "families" will care for them. Those Thai "families" think the foreigner's Embassies will swoop in to send them back to their home countries or at least pay their medical bills when the going gets rough. Few people have any idea of the level of care needed when someone has suffered a stroke or is at end-of-life due to cancer.

If you're young and healthy -- that's great. Then there's the accident rate here that will get you. It's 20 times higher than in the west. You're not going to be able to hop on a plane to your home country for treatment after a major road accident and your Thai family will be hard pressed to pay that 500,000 baht ortho bill at Suan Dok.

Nancy, your post is unpleasantly patronising and based on assumptions that reflect on your limited horizons not me. I suggest you mind your own business.

And I would suggest that as an Ajarn you should be more respectful to someone that has contributed a lot to the community and is deserving of respect, or at least common civility. I don't know why, but I'm distrustful of anyone who assumes the title of Ajarn on forums such as this. They invariably have a false sense of importance and they often spout the tiresome 'I don't like/associate with farangs and only live amongst the Thais' nonsense. That is as narrow-minded as the people you despise.

no doubt he's a kru and not an ajarn.

Actually I agree with Nancy in that there is a problem with destitute foreigners in Thailand. The fact that the perennial "can you live on x dollars a day in Thailand" question arouses so much interest is because so many foreigners here are living on the breadline. Ditto the rush for "free" Thai government healthcare which Nancy referred to.

I would be delighted if the financial criteria for foreign retirees in Thailand were raised: doubled or perhaps trebled. This would go a long way to solving the destitution problem, but I'm sure some would find a way around the system anyway, as they do now. It would also increase the value of the farang "community" to the Thai economy.

These forums attract a very small minority of foreigners, most of us don't have the time or the interest.

Actually I agree with Nancy in that there is a problem with destitute foreigners in Thailand. The fact that the perennial "can you live on x dollars a day in Thailand" question arouses so much interest is because so many foreigners here are living on the breadline. Ditto the rush for "free" Thai government healthcare which Nancy referred to.

I would be delighted if the financial criteria for foreign retirees in Thailand were raised: doubled or perhaps trebled. This would go a long way to solving the destitution problem, but I'm sure some would find a way around the system anyway, as they do now. It would also increase the value of the farang "community" to the Thai economy.

These forums attract a very small minority of foreigners, most of us don't have the time or the interest.

I would just like to correct you here, from what I see,

Foreigners have no value to the Thai community, no matter what the color of their skin.

The Thai community just want them all out of Thailand.

Individual Thai families living off foreigners are the only ones that want them, and even then, better they live in another country and just send money.

As for some poor foreign teacher, with little or no teaching qualifications, working for minimum wage in a country school, even your co-workers want you gone, for showing up their poor English skills, their second rate teaching abilities and their brutal treatment of the children.

Foreigners have no value to the Thai community, no matter what the color of their skin.

Individual Thai families living off foreigners are the only ones that want them, and even then, better they live in another country and just send money.

As for some poor foreign teacher, with little or no teaching qualifications, working for minimum wage in a country school, even your co-workers want you gone, for showing up their poor English skills, their second rate teaching abilities and their brutal treatment of the children.

When I first moved here a long term expat told me this and I didn't believe him.

Well, ten years later, I know from personal experience it's true. They want us gone.

She is worth listening to. She has helped a lot of people who have ended up in very bad situations, because of not planning ahead.

She sure is. But ajarsiam has told us:

"I know I'm in a small minority here in that I spend almost all of my time with Thais, and rarely even see white people (as I don't live in the city); the reason being is that most of the white people I have met here are not the sort of people I would want to spend time with in my own country."

So Nancy is not his sort of person. Neither are you, or I, I suppose. I don't really want to know who is.

You don't like to spend time with white people!! So what are Thai people then? Black people?

Why would the colour of the skin make any difference...........

When I first moved here a long term expat told me this and I didn't believe him.

Well, ten years later, I know from personal experience it's true. They want us gone.

IMO, most of them don't care one way or the other, which is pretty much how most of us felt about foreigners living in our countries.

I think it does help if you are already set up in your 3000 baht place. Flat screen, cooking stuff, fans, etc already bought. You could be quite happy on 440 baht a day.

I guess 440 baht would be okay if you don't want or need a female companion. Personally, I would be very sad on that amount of monthly income. :-(

There are other females than ones you have to rent for the night. Females who don't have a price. Normal women might be good description. They may share the same interests as you. Like people have mentioned earlier there are many hobbies and sports that don't require lots cash to enjoy. How many women live on 10000 baht a month in Thailand? Millions. They will think a usd500 a month man is a good catch!

I think it does help if you are already set up in your 3000 baht place. Flat screen, cooking stuff, fans, etc already bought. You could be quite happy on 440 baht a day.

I guess 440 baht would be okay if you don't want or need a female companion. Personally, I would be very sad on that amount of monthly income. :-(

There are other females than ones you have to rent for the night. Females who don't have a price. Normal women might be good description. They may share the same interests as you. Like people have mentioned earlier there are many hobbies and sports that don't require lots cash to enjoy. How many women live on 10000 baht a month in Thailand? Millions. They will think a usd500 a month man is a good catch!

not going to be much left of your dollars after you pay your latest snatch her 10kbaht.

Care to share this personal experience I have not found it yet. Please don't give me a line of crap how you were cheated out of money by a Thai in the tourist area. That happens in tourist areas all over the world.

Also for the sake of clarity the word THEY is from where I sit all encompassing. You are talking about 66,000,000 people.

Somehow, I think you would have to look long and hard to find a woman, who would think a guy earning "$500 a month is a good catch." I guess if you were somewhere deep in the jungles of the Amazon, you could find a few. If a guy earning $500 a month would keep his standards low, like not require a woman to have many teeth, it would widen his dating pool.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I'm moving to Thailand and my budget is $10 a day. I think this is enough. 2k baht a month is enough for a good apartment. These guys saying you cannot live on such and such amount have obviously never lived in Thailand and are probably naive tourists. I can find rooms for 1k a MONTH in Bangkok, yes, Bangkok(it's not an expensive place at all despite the myths). So Chiang Mai would be just as cheap if not cheaper. What are these guys spending so much money on??? Thais support entire families on $10 a day. This is not a "miserable" existence as many have said. It is easy to live on this amount. $500 a month is a crazy amount of money.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour, 10KBaht a month would make me cringe, though I know it can be done if you're willing to stretch the satang :) Personally I have some unhealthy habits, like smoking and occational drinks & western dishes, among the healthy but costly ones, like diving, and as I don't like staying in one place for too long, it means no long term rent agreements which in term equals to no discounts, so I doubt my lifestyle would give into such strict monetary diet w00t.gif

On topic I'd like point out that each should live to their own account - if you manage to balance your books for low cost living, and don't necessarily require 'western standards' of it, then it's kudos to you. If others don't, or can't grasp the enjoyment-factors of others in life, it's not the problem of those who manage to do so. wai.gif Certainly I wouldn't advice to use the lowest costs found by anyone as the denominator to base your own cost calculations on, but get a baseline in the middle of the highs and lows reported, and you'll have a good guestimate in your hands :)

A lot of people stay in CM because they do not have money. It attracts many people with not a lot of money, because the barrier to entry/stay is so low. You can live here for 300-400 a month, so you get people who wonder if they can live here on 200 or 100 or nothing. This is what you get. This creates a good sized portion of the demographic, and there you go. I usually first wonder, "sex tourist, broke, or both." I know that is bad, being honest. I'm sure they do the same to me, I'm used to it.

Note: I am currently in a village where the minimum rent is 100k baht a month, forced security at 20k a month, and all food is imported from USA Whole Foods just because we can. Now guess how many backpackers stay here? Guess how many of these threads we see? hahaha....

A lot of people stay in CM because they do not have money. It attracts many people with not a lot of money, because the barrier to entry/stay is so low. You can live here for 300-400 a month, so you get people who wonder if they can live here on 200 or 100 or nothing. This is what you get. This creates a good sized portion of the demographic, and there you go. I usually first wonder, "sex tourist, broke, or both." I know that is bad, being honest. I'm sure they do the same to me, I'm used to it.

Note: I am currently in a village where the minimum rent is 100k baht a month, forced security at 20k a month, and all food is imported from USA Whole Foods just because we can. Now guess how many backpackers stay here? Guess how many of these threads we see? hahaha....

People like you, with your 100K baht per month, are spoiling Thailand for everyone. Please leave immediately.

I see where the guy who used to run the "Retire in Thailand on $550 a Month" website has packed it in and moved to Siem Reap. Now he's running a website on "Retire in Cambodia on $650 a Month" and lists all sorts of reasons why Cambodia is a much better retirement destination than Thailand.

Seems Chiang Mai has just gotten to be too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic and the women much too demanding, according to him.

I see where the guy who used to run the "Retire in Thailand on $550 a Month" website has packed it in and moved to Siem Reap. Now he's running a website on "Retire in Cambodia on $650 a Month" and lists all sorts of reasons why Cambodia is a much better retirement destination than Thailand.

Seems Chiang Mai has just gotten to be too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic and the women much too demanding, according to him.

I used to tell people about the 550/mo site as a reference to get an idea of the cost. Can you link to the new site?

Good luck in Cambodia though for those contemplating the move.

I think a person (especially younger than the typical TVer) with a simple lifestyle (no booze, smokes, paid GFs, drugs, health issues) can live here in CM on 300B a day. Food is practically free here. There is CM Vegetarian Society for a free lunch 5 days a week (when they are not protesting), the Hindu and Sikh, Tuesday and Friday for dinner and probably left over food for another 2 to 4 meals, make a fast a least once week. Use a bicycle for your transportation. A lots of free entertainment. This is a very carefree lifestyle with minimum concern for health care (heck I have always been healthy) or a return ticket.

Need some interpretation from you....

To me 100K [k=000] is 100,000 baht per month 20K is 20,000baht per month ..... is this what you are saying????

Minimum rent is 100,000 baht per month ?????

To me 100K [k=000] is 100,000 baht per month 20K is 20,000baht per month ..... is this what you are saying????

i think he was joking. The part about all food being imported from Whole Foods in the USA gives it away. No farang living in Chiang Mai, full time, could afford to do that or they would be living in the South of France. tongue.png

i think he was joking. The part about all food being imported from Whole Foods in the USA gives it away. No farang living in Chiang Mai, full time, could afford to do that or they would be living in the South of France. tongue.png

There are some corporate expats around whose MNC might be giving them a 100,000+ baht housing allowance but it's a bit hard to believe that there are moobaans in Chiang Mai where rents start at 100,000/mo. In Bangkok it would be more believable, some of the condos on Sukhumvit are very pricey.

We have 2 cars but primarily use one.....the fuel alone for a couple of tanks is over the 5000 per month threshold.....so if you're planning on making that budget happen I'm guessing no beer or entertainment that could come with it - no motorbike or personal transportation (maybe a bicycle - seem to be many "fringers" riding them around town/same in US too) - and no new clothes......food - vitamins - dental/health care & medications would be non existant as would be healthy food options.....

With no money = no options and boredom and possibly depression to follow along with the stretching of the budget to get beer/etc.....

Used to see a lot of this type in Pai......

It would be an existence level crawl.....if that.....

I''d have to disagree that small incomes means 'non-existent healthy food options'. I could eat pretty well, good vegies, fruits, eggs, tofu, brown rice, oats at 200 baht/day. If really pinched, 120 baht/day. That would be survival economy for me. Very grateful i'm not in that mode.

And Vagabond, just where can i find the Sikhs. Hindus and vegetarians giving away meals in CM?

I''d have to disagree that small incomes means 'non-existent healthy food options'. I could eat pretty well, good vegies, fruits, eggs, tofu, brown rice, oats at 200 baht/day. If really pinched, 120 baht/day. That would be survival economy for me. Very grateful i'm not in that mode.

And Vagabond, just where can i find the Sikhs. Hindus and vegetarians giving away meals in CM?

I believe all Sikh temples give free food. They did back in British Columbia. The big ones I had heard were around the clock. The one next door to us was for sure on Sundays not sure of the other days. All though there always seemed to be some one around them in the day time.

Living anywhere gets more expensive each year.

I was just thinking possibly the OP's question would be more useful if it asked "would anyone WANT to live on whatever sum is mentioned?

There's some guys who live in that apartment complex along from KSK for 3,500 a month and they're in Tops food court as soon as it opens.

Then they are off to Chiang Mai Orchid next door to spend the whole day using the gym, pool, showers etc.

Then they are back in the food court for an evening meal.

Then they go to their room and watch TV, play Internet, read or whatever takes their fancy.

Looking at their rent which is about $110 month

Food Court about $100 a month (2x50 baht)

I guess it's doable, not everyone's cup of tea but if that's their lifestyle......up to them and good luck.

Archived