Living in Chiang Mai on $500 a month?

CMfoodie

"Meals at the local eatery were 25 baht for years. They have just recently raised them to 30 baht and they fill me up. They have a menu of over 30 items so you do not have to eat the same thing every day."

Post the address and watch the influx of TV cheapeaters put the prices up. Myself included in their ranks.....

Incidentally--I have been paying 5000Baht per month for last 6 years for a 3 bedroom single storey detached property--which suits me and my daughter--although have recently had a 'misunderstanding' with the landlady and am currently looking to relocate--expecting to have to pay considerably more, sadly.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An older guy that I know lives on $500 per month, including rent, food and everything. He decided to return to the US, because some posters on Thai Visa convinced him that one could live more cheaply there. He came back to Thailand after 2 months and plans to stay this time..

While on the subject--of my possible moving house--if any TV members know of a 2 storey , 3 bedroom, property to rent in the 8000 Baht per month price range [ give or take 1000 baht]--please PM me.

Hang Dong area preferred but willing to look elsewhere.

I have missed out on 2 similar properties going for 7000 Baht per month in my current Moo Bahn--so, the price is realistic.

The only way I could live in the US on less than I spend here, would be to live in Appalachia, back in the woods in an unheated cabin without running water, and an outhouse behind... Hell, there aren't even any more free Sears catalogs to use as toilet paper. I'd have to eat beans three meals a day, hunting for my own meat, unless I was willing to opt for the Catch of the Day on Route I95. No worries about paying Medical expenses... none available there. I'd eventually probably save on toothpaste too...

You should run that by some of the posters in the General Forum. They are conviced that it is cheaper to live in America, because canned soup and Skippy peanut butter are half the price that they are here.

Beer is half the price too. That alone could save a few hundred dollars per month..

I don't get people who obviously can't afford to live in a foreign country asking how to live in a foreign country. Stay in your own country and get a job, then come for holidays on the money you earn. You have no safety net here, no family to fall back on, no welfare payments, no medical insurance......Face facts, of you can't afford to live here then don't try to. Stay where you are and keep making your $500 a week.

I don't get people who obviously can't afford to live in a foreign country asking how to live in a foreign country. Stay in your own country and get a job, then come for holidays on the money you earn. You have no safety net here, no family to fall back on, no welfare payments, no medical insurance......Face facts, of you can't afford to live here then don't try to. Stay where you are and keep making your $500 a week.

Some of us have tried to return and the work is not available once you are over a certain age--under these circumstances one needs to find the cheapest option.

A person can live Thai-style for very little money. I can't, but some can. As long as they get basic medical insurance (available for cheap) and put aside enough money for a ticket home (hopefully they still have a place) and don't have any major pre-existing medical conditions. For some, it's a risk worth taking, if you consider their alternative (freezing in the dark, watching tv all day in their home countries, eating canned foods, etc.). They can live a much better life here, with just a bit of luck on their side. They might not be able to do this later in life when their health decreases and they can no longer get insurance. When they get older, they can go back home and watch Gilligan's Island reruns.

Like I said, there's a risk involved (e.g. a major medical emergency, running out of money, etc.) that some may be willing to take. But there's also the flip side....living a life of quiet desperation.

I've seen a lot of posters mention 'going back home.' Or 'a safety net of family and friends.' One of my favorites is 'when you get older you can go back.'

Home is here. For many of us, there is no 'back home.' When I moved to Asia more than 25 years ago, my friends were gob-smacked that I only bought a one-way ticket. I wasn't visiting. I was moving to Asia. For some, that round-trip ticket is a security blanket. Personally, I don't believe there is any such thing as security. I'll throw a quote in here:

"Security is mostly a superstition.

Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

I've lived in Asia much of my adult life, and can't stand being in the west for more than a few days at a time. And how can one decide to impose on family (IF there IS family) or on friends? Is it their job to support us? I don't believe so. As for a 'safety net,' just wait and see how many family members and friends come rushing to help when we have no money, no place to live, and require care. Sure, they will be there... for a short time... but then?

Not everyone has the luxury of a residential care facility, or even Assisted Living.

Better to pray we find a good partner to grow old with.

An older guy that I know lives on $500 per month, including rent, food and everything. He decided to return to the US, because some posters on Thai Visa convinced him that one could live more cheaply there. He came back to Thailand after 2 months and plans to stay this time..

He must buy some really cheap airplane tickets ;) Going back and forth between the US and Thailand and still only spending $500 a month

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've been back and forth to the US a few times over the past 25 years... when my father passed away, once to take my wife scuba diving in the Florida Keys and exploring the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains, once when my son got married and for visiting family, when my mother passed away. Each time visiting with friends and family. That's more than enough. If family or friends complain that they 'haven't seen me in sooo long,' they can come here. If they don't want to come here, crying that it's too far to travel, or too expensive, well, it's the same price and distance for them to travel to Thailand as it is for me to travel to the US. I've already been back to the US...now it's their turn. Trips to the US are NOT something for which I budget. Vacation trips to Bali, Borneo, or the Philippines are another story. I do figure on those, but just not in my monthly expenditures.

While on the subject--of my possible moving house--if any TV members know of a 2 storey , 3 bedroom, property to rent in the 8000 Baht per month price range [ give or take 1000 baht]--please PM me.

Hang Dong area preferred but willing to look elsewhere.

I have missed out on 2 similar properties going for 7000 Baht per month in my current Moo Bahn--so, the price is realistic.

there is a moo baan that i was renting a 2 story 2 bedroom for 3,500 baht a month close to hang dong market but i know a guy that rented there after they remodled the moo baan and he was paying 7,000 for the house next door that i used to rent. that was a couple of years ago though so maybe the rents are higher now. might still be worth checking out.

the name is thippirom

the entrance is at

18°41'9.92"N

98°55'4.68"E

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Saw the title and thought 'oh no here we go again on the cheap charlie stories'

But then I thought US$ = 16400bht. Cheapo room = 3000bht. 13400/30 = 446 bht a day.

Unless there is something wrong with my math (always possible) , surely that isnt a major challenge, even without argument/discussion over 20 bht meals?

Breakfast at home -20bht, lunch and dinner out - 200bht total , 226 baht left over for 'luxuries' (!!)- or 1600bht a week.

Where am I going wrong?? Have I got a zero in the wrong place??

I don't think that you have a zero in the wrong place, however the $500/mo living in Chiang mai story was something that was penned 10 years ago or so when the Dollar vs. baht was 40 or better and street meals were 20 baht or less, with that said one could SURVIVE on $500/mo in a "cheapo" room and eating eggs, veggies and fruit (it actually sounds pretty healthy). The problem, as many posters have put forth here is what you would do if you encounter a medical situation that requires being in a hospital for an extended stay, and of course how would one get a retirement extension of stay if they didn't have 800,000 baht in the bank or a 65,000 baht/mo income??? More realistically I think that a single person could live OK in Chiang mai on around $800/mo or a couple for $1200/mo, of course that is if he (she or they) didn't smoke, drink very often or chase hookers smile.png Just my 2 cents thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, you can do it comfortably.

10k gets a nice apartment with everything your need, even western kitchen etc. Roughly $300.

That leaves $200 or 200 baht a day per month to eat. Plenty.

Your on the edge, but can squeak by. I have plenty of days getting 30 baht meals for way under 200 baht everything a day even including coffees, and buying just about everything as I walk around, locally of course like a poor Thai would, not from German food places or sitting there with a red wine like some chump from France. This includes shopping at the local market and getting 10 baht fruit bags and 20 baht smoothies. I don't go hungry and have everything I need. It's just a lifestyle preference for me so I don't have the nag about having to only spend $500. But that's a cross some have to bear.

If you can bump up to 15k ($500 for a house) and $250 for expenses, your basically on easy street. Not many people can stick to a budget however, they get caught up in drinking, eating at western places (my pet peev), and paying for girls of course.

Long term it could be an issue if you run out of 6 month tourist visas and have to start getting radical with things like flying out of the country for new passports.

You could do it, but you can not do it comfortably! What about new sneakers or sandles or shirts or pants or underwear or toothpaste or soap or razor blades and shaving cream ect. ect. ect., not too mention medical ins and of course regular visa runs because you wouldn't have a retirement extension of stay??? I suppose if one did have 800,000 baht in the bank and and adequate income to top that off every year, and they decided that they wanted to live an extremely frugal existence then you could get along on $500/mo, but you certainly wouldn't be living in a 10,000 baht/mo condo and I would hardly call the the lifestyle comfortable rolleyes.gif

retirement visa alone is 65,000 baht month or a Thai Bank deposit of 800,000 baht... As you cannot live in Thailand without some sort of Visa, why is this never mentioned ?

I was just reading where Belize practically gives away permanent residency status.
But I would venture the only thing Belize would match is the malaria and dengue joy
by comparison

Actually Belize can be quite nice, and they take the U.S. Dollar, however the living expences there are quite a bit more than in Chiang Mai or anywhere in Thailand for that matter thumbsup.gif

But then I thought US$ = 16400bht. Cheapo room = 3000bht. 13400/30 = 446 bht a day.

Unless there is something wrong with my math (always possible) , surely that isnt a major challenge, even without argument/discussion over 20 bht meals?

Breakfast at home -20bht, lunch and dinner out - 200bht total , 226 baht left over for 'luxuries' (!!)- or 1600bht a week.

Well your math is right but you forgot to figure in utilities which raphe probably not cheap in those type places. Also you are assuming he only walks so he would be limited to the areas he could afford to live in.

What I was wondering is why would some body that cash strapped pick a city like Chiang Mai when there are a lot of cities and villages they could live in at a cheaper price. Lets face it on $500 a month your luxuries are going to be few and far between so why not go where they don't have them any how.

Also the US$ is at a high. This to shall pass It might go to 30 baht. It has been lower than that. right now it is on a roll.

I agree with Nancy's opinion on the author. Living here for a month on $500 is OK but living here for an extended period of time on it you would have to be a hermit.giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif width=20 alt=giggle.gif>

I couldn't agree more that on $500/mo ones luxuries would be very very far and few between! You are however very mistaken about the U.S. Dollar being "on a roll" or any where near being at a high my friend. The Euro and the Pound are on much more "on a roll" as you put it than the U.S. Dollar is currently (in fact in reality it is the baht on a fall) and as far as the Dollar being at a high goes, well you should have been in Thailand during the years after the 97 economic crisis as the Dollar breached the 60 baht level smile.png As far as "this too shall pass" goes, perhaps in the short term if the Thai political system gets their act together you may be correct, however in the longer term ( 1 1/2 years from now and beyond) as the U.S. interest rates rise so too the U.S. Dollar will rise! U.S. interest rates have been held artificially low for going on 6 years now, but as the velocity of money increases over the next year or so and inflation rears its ugly head, the FED will have no choice but to raise interest rates and raise them at a rapid pace not seen since the days of Paul Volker clap2.gif The Chinese will welcome this for a multitude of reasons, the most important of which is that the Chinese economy is already begining to sputter and any strengthening of the U.S. Dollar makes Chinese goods much more attractive to its largest market. Look for the U.S. Dollar to be at or near the 40 baht level 2 years from now wai2.gif

Why travel to the other side of the globe to live just a tad better then a bum?

If you have to stay in the cheapest places. Never eat in a real restaurant or drink a beer. Never travel or having any hobby. And you can't get the visa in a legal way with that little money. Even if you would be lucky and find a girl that would like to go home with you for free, you could't afford the condoms ;)

Why travel to the other side of the globe to live just a tad better then a bum?

If you have to stay in the cheapest places. Never eat in a real restaurant or drink a beer. Never travel or having any hobby. And you can't get the visa in a legal way with that little money. Even if you would be lucky and find a girl that would like to go home with you for free, you could't afford the condoms wink.png

Better to live as a bum in a tropical country than a bum in a temperate country.

My hobby is hiking, I can do it every day for as long as I like, and it's totally free.

There are many other great hobbies that cost nothing.

Not everyone needs sex (with another person) all the time.

David Carradine was more than happy doing it on his own.

^ Erm, the Thai government distributes condoms for free. (Also in somewhat more comfortable sizes. (54)).

All you need to do is ask.

Come on guys; don't make assumptions on what things money needs to be spent on if you don't actually live low budget!

It's a way of life! And in many ways a more genuine way of life; how many posts do you see here on the forum trying to find some silly Western home improvement item.

But when you live on the cheap you get a cheap room downtown, where you can actually just walk (or cycle) to the big market -you know, the one spelled in 342 different ways on this forum- and buy anything you reasonably need, for very little money.

That's the real Thailand, and the real life.

Now back to arguing that Thailand is more expensive than Europe because Gaggia Evolution espresso makers cost more at Central Festival than they do in Rome.

Hello! Thai Coffee comes from a kind street vendor brewing it through one of those cloth sock filters!

FarangHipsters.com/forum.

And here is a great dinner: canned fish with baked beans and rice.

That's 6 baht and 43 satang per serving if you get the beans dried at Muang Mai market and Aro brand tomato paste.

All food groups right there!

attachicon.gif4210204769.jpg

jeeze has it really come to this...? 6 baht 43 satang whistling.gif

6 baht and 43 satang ;)

This really raise the bar for Cheap Charlies

What about the visa??? With that little money it's a tourist visa if getting it legaly. And then travel out of the country many times. So take away the money for visa, travel hotel and so on from those $500.

And will you never visit a doctor or dentist?

Archived