Living in Chiang Mai on $500 a month?

CMfoodie

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was really convincing and I've known her a while and always found her credible. One problem though is, even under the old rules, you could never be sure that you would be allowed to do multiple runs, but most people seemed to get away with it. The current government had ruled it out completely, but, according to her, they have backtracked.

Everyone I know got away with it for years. I never heard of one person being denied. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I have known a few people who were told they could not come back to Mai Sai and they went somewhere else for a while or went and got a real visa. I have also known people who were thrown out of the country, but that was quite a while ago. I was threatened with it myself, way back when, and so was my best friend at a different embassy around the same time.It definitely happens from time to time.

I did not realize that the discussion on this thread took such a turn away from the nominal topic. Today, I happened to have been wondering at the absence of all those posts over many years on TV Chiang Mai (and other local theads) about the ins and outs of visa runs.

One thing has generally been certain. Thai Immigration has been remarkably tolerant and lenient (lazy?) in enforcing the rules for a long, long time. In the relatively recent tightening up on Immigration rules, there were well-posted warnings of change in enforcement. Tolerant enforcement --- for a while!

Why isn't there a topic on TV Chiang Mai about this not hidden under a $500-a-month topic heading? What IS going on at Mae Sai and other close border crossings?

And what is going on about educational visas, school visa mills, and naughty people not going to school or doing their homework! Are Walen and his ilk still in business?

She was really convincing and I've known her a while and always found her credible. One problem though is, even under the old rules, you could never be sure that you would be allowed to do multiple runs, but most people seemed to get away with it. The current government had ruled it out completely, but, according to her, they have backtracked.

Everyone I know got away with it for years. I never heard of one person being denied. It will be interesting to see what happens.

But the new rules for visa exemptions and border-runs hane only existed for a few months. So nobody have got away with it for years with the new rules.

$500 (presumably American dollars) a month is a respectable but modest wage for many, many Thais. All depends on how you want to live, your expectations and preparations for emergencies.

A foreigner also have much larger expenditures than a Thai. Things like visa, visa-runs, extensions of stay, health or travel Insurance doesn't really exist for Thai people

$500 (presumably American dollars) a month is a respectable but modest wage for many, many Thais. All depends on how you want to live, your expectations and preparations for emergencies.

A foreigner also have much larger expenditures than a Thai. Things like visa, visa-runs, extensions of stay, health or travel Insurance doesn't really exist for Thai people

Wait a minute....Thais don't have health or travel insurance? Who told you that? I would say that 80% of all the Thais I am friends with have private health insurance. Everyone (except one aunt) in my Thai family has private health insurance. You think Thais don't purchase travel insurance? Wrong again.

Every Thai I know has government health insurance -- 50% paid by the employer and 50% by the individual. It's a lot cheaper than private insurance. Does it work? I can't say.

My wife pays the full cost herself. Not sure either 450 or 500 baht a month.

If she has an employer she may not know that the employer is also being charged half the cost.

Case in point, the majority of US citizens don't realize that when they pay into social security, their employer is being charged an equal amount. Most have no idea.

Some negative thinking here about the 'lifestyle' some expats choose while in T'land and the costs of living here. If the choice were yours, which USA city would choose to live in on US$500 per month? Rent is cheap in Detroit, Buffalo too. Energy costs to keep your a** warm may take all 5 Ben Franklins. Go to LA, it's warm and live like a bum, and risk your neck with the other drunks, mentally ill, depressed gun-toters, or try the Bible Belt towns, like Little Rock where life without car is misery. So probably the comparative life, though different here, is much more attractive than USA, if on the financial edge.

Wishing all my fellow Americans a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. For my big feed, i might go to Grandview Hotel for lunch. Save 500 baht and eat chicken. Will miss the various pies of home, however.

You can't tell a book by looking at the cover.

Gave me the idea that you knew what you were talking about and not playing the magical improbable game of IF

You can't tell a book by looking at the cover..........do you think it's only those living cheaply who have alcohol problems?

Wait a minute....Thais don't have health or travel insurance? Who told you that? I would say that 80% of all the Thais I am friends with have private health insurance. Everyone (except one aunt) in my Thai family has private health insurance. You think Thais don't purchase travel insurance? Wrong again.

Do you belive poor Thais buy travel insurence when living in their own country !!!! The Thais that travel in other countries are not the ones that have a 10k s month salary. And Thais already have a health insurence without buying a private one. Which of course no Thai with minimum salary will buy anyway.

Spending money is the driving force of every economy by spending you are helping

Agreed but I'm sure altruism toward the Thai economy isn't the main reason people have chosen to live here.

I would hazard a guess that things like lifestyle, climate, low living costs and cheap easy sex are at the top of the list........oh and temples.

Ha ha ha so funny. You belive Thai families that have 10k baht in monthly income is bying private Health Insurance. And going abroad on holiday with travel Insurance...ha ha

Do you belive poor Thais buy travel insurence when living in their own country !!!! The Thais that travel in other countries are not the ones that have a 10k s month salary. And Thais already have a health insurence without buying a private one. Which of course no Thai with minimum salary will buy anyway.

Who said "poor Thais"? The other poster said "Thais" which I would take to mean lower middle-class on up. And YES when they travel on Air Asia, Nok Air, etc within their own country they buy travel insurance for 189 Baht.

Ha ha ha so funny. You belive Thai families that have 10k baht in monthly income is bying private Health Insurance. And going abroad on holiday with travel Insurance...ha ha

Ha ha ha no funny. I never said "families that have 10K Baht in monthly income have private health insurance." How many Thai families do you know that live on 10K THB in COMBINED income? I don't know any. Even the people that sell food on the streets make double that, then there is their partner's income. Do you have kids? Do you know what is costs to feed and clothe and send kids to school???

Every Thai I know has government health insurance -- 50% paid by the employer and 50% by the individual. It's a lot cheaper than private insurance. Does it work? I can't say.

It works.

Doctor: "It may be good to do an MRI scan just in case.. but I don't think your insurance covers that if you're not admitted to hospital.

Nurse: "He also has government social insurance."

Doctor: "Oh.. .really? Ok, let's go."

:)

The quote even have their income so we know they are rather poor by our standard. And the whole thread is about people that try to live on a very small monthly budget. Not about middle class people. I have never seen any middle class family that lives on the budgets people talk about in this thread. From $10 a day to $500 monthly

My wife pays the full cost herself. Not sure either 450 or 500 baht a month.

If she has an employer she may not know that the employer is also being charged half the cost.

Case in point, the majority of US citizens don't realize that when they pay into social security, their employer is being charged an equal amount. Most have no idea.

She does not work when I say all I mean all not 50%. Her daughter and son in law pay 50% but they work. I do not need money from my wife to survive. In fact it is a nuisance to are life style.

bar girls, chocolate, wine, TruVision Plat... travel... bla bla bla

Who said "poor Thais"? The other poster said "Thais" which I would take to mean lower middle-class on up. And YES when they travel on Air Asia, Nok Air, etc within their own country they buy travel insurance for 189 Baht.

I never realized it was that cheap. for that matter never considered it as the wife and I only get out of the country for short terms. But at that rate I will in the future insure her. Can you tell me where this travel insurance is available?

It's not a real Travel Insurence. Air Asia also call it Travel protection. It will only last one hour or whatever time your flight takes. It's not like you are insured on your holiday like a "real Travel Insurance"

Well that sure explains the low cost. Travel not medical. what has that got to do with this $500 a month any how. Not worth mentioning.

If anyone here bothered to read the original article it is about rent of $500 or less a month. It is not about total budget but rent.

Throat is correct. The article says:

...the following top choices for retirement overseas, you could rent a comfortable, convenient and pleasant place to live for $500 per month or less:

--Cayo, Belize

--Cebu, Philippines

--Chiang Mai, Thailand

--Cuenca, Ecuador

--Granada, Nicaragua

--Hoi An, Vietnam

--Medellin, Colombia

If you want to live like a Thai no problems with $500 per month.

2000 baht will get you a room with fan so that leaves you with 12000 to spend on all the other important things. Enjoy.

Archived