Thai protesters fight on despite state of emergency

webfact

Thai protesters fight on despite state of emergency
by Daniel ROOK

BANGKOK, January 22, 2014 (AFP) - Defiant Thai opposition protesters vowed to ignore a state of emergency that came into force across the tense capital on Wednesday, refusing to abandon their fight to bring down the government.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is under intense pressure to step down after more than two months of street rallies aimed at ousting her elected government and installing an unelected "people's council".

"We're not taking any notice of the state of emergency and are continuing our protest as usual," rally spokesman Akanat Promphan told AFP.

"It shows that the government is getting desperate because the momentum is with us."

The backdrop to the protests is a years-long political struggle pitting the kingdom's royalist establishment against fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck's older brother who was ousted by the military seven years ago.

The 60-day state of emergency enables authorities to impose a curfew, ban public gatherings of more than five people, detain suspects for 30 days without charge and censor media in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

The government has not yet used any of those measures and has said police will keep the leading security role, unlike during pro-Thaksin "Red Shirts" rallies in 2010 when the military was ordered onto the streets by the previous government.

Yingluck has called an election for February 2 but the main opposition party is boycotting the vote.

The Election Commission on Wednesday asked the Constitutional Court to delay the polls due to the unrest, its Secretary-General Puchong Nutrawong told AFP, after the government rejected its call for a postponement.

Nine people have been killed and hundreds injured in grenade attacks, drive-by shootings and street clashes since the latest protests began at the end of October.

In an incident likely to fan anger among his supporters, a prominent Red Shirt leader, Kwanchai Praipana, was shot and wounded on Wednesday by an unknown gunman at his house in northeast Thailand.

The demonstrators have staged a self-styled "shutdown" of Bangkok since January 13, erecting roadblocks and rally stages at several main intersections.

The number of protesters on the streets has steadily fallen in recent days, with some rally sites almost deserted during the daytime, although turnout tends to swell in the evening when people leave work.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau estimated there were about 5,000 protesters spread across seven rally sites at around midday on Wednesday.

When the state of emergency was last imposed in 2010 by the previous government more than 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 injured in a crackdown by soldiers firing live rounds and backed by armoured vehicles.

The imposition of the emergency decree this time appears to be "an exercise intended most immediately to dispel the perception that the government have got their heads down in a bunker somewhere," said Anthony Davis, a Thailand-based security analyst at IHS-Jane's.

"This says that they are focused and serious about taking the situation in hand in the run-up to the election date," he told AFP.

"There's not going to be a crackdown at this stage," he added. "The police frankly don't have what it takes unless they know the army is behind them. And the army isn't behind them."

The military, traditionally a staunch supporter of the anti-Thaksin establishment, has said it wants to remain neutral during the current standoff, although the army chief has refused to rule out another coup to seize power from Yingluck.

The demonstrators accuse the premier of being a puppet for her older brother Thaksin, a controversial tycoon-turned-politician who was ousted as premier in a military coup in 2006 and who lives in Dubai to avoid jail for a corruption conviction.

The protesters see Thaksin as a threat to the monarchy, at a time of disquiet among many Thais about what will happen when revered but ailing 86-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej's more than six-decade reign comes to an end.

Thaksin still has strong electoral support in northern Thailand thanks to his policies to help the rural poor, and many experts believe Yingluck will win next month's election if it goes ahead.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-22

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The is an old saying in My home land, Mongolia

"He who laughs last, did not understand the joke!"

The damage this Sethup man is a causing to Thailand, get in there and break it up,about 06.00 in the morning should do its

And then watch the anti-government protesters gain momentum (and a Martyr) and things will really hot up...

... and the Government knows this, thats why they are sh*t scared to do anything.

It would seem that the copies of the order that have been given to the protesters have been signed by Yingluck as Prime Minister.

That is, she has put Prime Minister under her signature.

As she is no longer PM but caretaker PM apparently lawyers are saying the SOE is illegal.

As she has cocked up almost everything else it is quite possible.

We wait to see.

• Like 2

It would seem that the copies of the order that have been given to the protesters have been signed by Yingluck as Prime Minister.

As she is no longer PM but caretaker PM apparently lawyers are saying the SOE is illegal.

We wait to see.

That would simply be hillarious, if true.

• Like 1

The other half was telling me that some of the protestors camping out are actually getting paid 500bt a day to be there!

I take it your 'other half is a red shirt supporter?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nope.. Said she saw some interview on television. A woman said she was getting paid 500bt a day and that she also got paid 500bt a day cple years back protesting for the other side, not caring about the 'cause'. I dunno, maybe she was making it up.

"Thai protesters fight on despite state of emergency"

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The protests will carry on till Yingluck her relatives and her puppet government are out.

I don't want to see more blood but as they say......No pain, no gain.

I guess you do not like the idea of democracy the shin family gave all people the right to vote rich or poor are you so blinkered that you think that Suthep and his elitist are any better maybe you should look into the Suthep family and see how corrupt they are indeed one son is in court this week for dodgy land deals on koh samui . Thailand is as corrupt as hell from the small business that will only take cash because they do not want to pay taxes to the very richest who pay off judges for crimes they have committed in order that they can avoid jail. there are places in the world who have self elected councils North Korea comes to mind maybe you should go and live there because if Suthep gets his way that is what Thailand will end up as , people with no rights except for with wealth.

crazykopite, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:50, said:
Costas2008, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:02, said:

The protests will carry on till Yingluck her relatives and her puppet government are out.

I guess you do not like the idea of democracy the shin family gave all people the right to vote rich or poor are you so blinkered that you think that Suthep and his elitist are any better maybe you should look into the Suthep family and see how corrupt they are indeed one son is in court this week for dodgy land deals on koh samui . Thailand is as corrupt as hell from the small business that will only take cash because they do not want to pay taxes to the very richest who pay off judges for crimes they have committed in order that they can avoid jail. there are places in the world who have self elected councils North Korea comes to mind maybe you should go and live there because if Suthep gets his way that is what Thailand will end up as , people with no rights except for with wealth.

First of all, I must Thank you for not suggesting I should go back to my own country, as many posters do.

Second, I don't think you understand or you know anything about Democracy.

For your enlightenment:

Democracy doesn't mean you can be elected by buying votes.

Democracy doesn't mean that you can give your people corrupt and dubious offers as the rice scheme that hurt your country, for the sake of getting their vote.

Democracy doesn't mean that because you have the majority you can pass an amnesty bill, that will release 20,000 criminals just for the sake of your criminal brother.

Democracy doesn't mean that you can offer your relatives important positions in the government. That's called nepotism.

I can give you many more examples of what the Shin family has used to abuse the idea and practice of democracy.

But I believe you heard all these before so you should be able to do the right judgment.

• Like 2

We wait to see.

I don't know. The Army general, the real one, said that it was the prerogative of the Government to enact the decree.

Everyone had the right to vote before Thaksin came along.

crazykopite, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:50, said:

Costas2008, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:02, said:

First of all, I must Thank you for not suggesting I should go back to my own country, as many posters do.

Second, I don't think you understand or you know anything about Democracy.

For your enlightenment:

Democracy doesn't mean that you can give your people corrupt and dubious offers as the rice scheme that hurt your country, for the sake of getting their vote.

Democracy doesn't mean that because you have the majority you can pass an amnesty bill, that will release 20,000 criminals just for the sake of your criminal brother.

Democracy doesn't mean that you can offer your relatives important positions in the government. That's called nepotism.

I can give you many more examples of what the Shin family has used to abuse the idea and practice of democracy.

But I believe you heard all these before so you should be able to do the right judgment.

Interesting points, I imagine votes are purchased in many leading democracies.

Is the rice scheme much different to the European agricultural policy

I am sure there are more and I don't know how good or bad the current rulers are but I would suggest people think long and hard before giving up even an imperfect form of democracy.

I am sure there are more and I don't know how good or bad the current rulers are but I would suggest people think long and hard before giving up even an imperfect form of democracy.

"Is the rice scheme much different to the European agricultural policy"? Yes.

European agricultural policy doesn't allow a large portion of the subsidy to go to the middleman.

• Like 2

"Is the rice scheme much different to the European agricultural policy"? Yes.

European agricultural policy doesn't allow a large portion of the subsidy to go to the middleman.

Or for the agricultural products to be resold to the EC two or three times, or for products to be brought in from outside the EC etc, etc.

• Like 1

Deomocracy doesn`t mean appointing yourself chairman of the National Palm Oil Policy Committee, whilst you are deputy PM, and whilst your family is the biggest producer of the said commodity, then artificially raising the price to make your self millions.

(o shit thats my bad he wasn`t elected last time either)

BTW you are one of the people I spoke about in the earlier post seemingly willing on a war at all costs. The concept that you cant just dismiss the majority of the countries views without trouble doesnt seem to concern you. "no pain, no gain" you shamefully write as you think it wont be YOUR family that has to loose a relative. I agree with previous posters, people like yourself would be better back home.

• Like 1

What exactly has the anti corruption protest achieved other than the sale of whistles?

Yinluck is still in office, she has 10 more days left, it doesn't appear likely that she will step down before the 2nd

The elections have NOT been called off

And Corruption will not dissapear over night even after a dozen elections.

• Like 1

I pray that the protestors go home now, they have made a powerful statement, which should have lasted a week or so in November/December and then left it at that. They should have accepted the offered dialogue from Yingluck, and the early elections, and gone home over a month ago. Now that many people have died and been injured, it is too late to save those people and I can only pray that the injured recover their mobility and emotional balance swiftly. But that just makes it even more urgent that the overthrow-movement backs down before more deaths and injuries occur. Yingluck has been dealt a very public political black-eye over her Amnesty bill, and both she and the nation understands that she cannot keep pushing things through like that. If she continues to do so, people should take to the streets again in peaceful mass-protest, alongside campaigning, informing and mobilising the electorate. But for now, they should back down, to allow the extremely tense climate to simmer down, and allow normal working Bangkok people to go about their working lives before any more businesses are critically damaged.

If they had accepted talks with Yingluck, or gone home a month ago, what would have changed?