Gay people will always need to come out

Jingthing

Yeah sure we're all hopefully sexual beings but that boy's Mama in the video already knew her son was a sexual being. The news was he was a sexual being towards his same sex.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very difficult to say what the future holds. I think there will always be challenges with coming out, simply because the road to self-realization is different for different people. Societies and gov'ts may be accepting of people being gay, but when it is your off-spring, it is slightly different. It may mean the end of the genetic road.

I am left-handed. My mother, who is also left-handed, did everything possible to get me to be right-handed. Not because she thought it was wrong, but being left-handed herself, she new that life could be a little difficult and being right-handed would be easier.

Sexuality is, and will be, a sensitive issue for families for the foreseeable future, IMO.

If you are left-handed, you are left-handed. So what?

Yes, in the last century, some backward teachers would discriminate against you.

You are saying that we should not openly say that we are left-handed (or gay), because that makes life easier?

In my world (and that includes business as well as friends and families), I don't even notice if anybody is left-handed.

Yeah sure we're all hopefully sexual beings but that boy's Mama in the video already knew her son was a sexual being. The news was he was a sexual being towards his same sex.

And she had no problem with it. Neither did mine. Nor did any of my friends.

It turned out the whole discrimination thingy was a bubble in my own head. Like it was with this boy.

Why do you want to keep it a reality? Ever heard of self-fulfilling prophecy when you preach this?

What if you are not gay...but just like to play with it a little bit.

Asking for a friend...

Impossible to answer. If you're not gay there is nothing to come out about. However many people who become aware of your play may conclude you are gay. There's a huge range from people who identify as bisexual to straight guys on the down low.

Actually that confuses me a little....if a straight guy plays with a guy, how can he be claiming straightness ?

Is it January already?

It turned out the whole discrimination thingy was a bubble in my own head. Like it was with this boy.

Why do you want to keep it a reality? Ever heard of self-fulfilling prophecy when you preach this?

Dude I'm talking globally. Try coming out in Nigeria today. Things are getting worse for gays now in large parts of the world. I'm happy your Mom was OK with it but yes I've known gays tossed on the streets by their monstrous parents when the gayness was discovered. Please don't insult me with your imaginary projections of what I want. I believe in facing reality. For Jews that means there will always be antisemitism in the world and for gays there will always be homophobia in the world and issues over coming out or not coming out.

Do I want homophobia antisemitism racism sexism etc. wiped off the face of the earth? DUH! But again welcome to the real world.

Again what cloud cuckoo land bubble does one have live in to think Fundy Christianity and Islam are going away ... as both are major contributors to homophobia.

Other religions as well of course inspire homophobia as in India.

Edited by Jingthing

Forgot something: No, JT, I don't think that gay people will have to come out in an ideal society. Some men like women, some men like men, and in an ideal society, every kid will know some gay peoples, for example in the family or celebs or what. That's one thing I like about the series "Modern Family". And so, if someone finds out he or she like people of the same sex, it is no issue, they just live it.

I can't stand Modern Family for the very same reason you like it.

We, gay men, are a reduced to be a caricature, comic relief, yet again. Do you know any gay couple, such as in Modern Family? I dont.

We are a joke for straight viewing audience. Clowns to amuse viewers. God forbid we are depicted as people just like everybody else, same worries, same joys.

There is a new HBO show now, 'Looking', that shows us as normal humans. Good show, dl it if you can.

Long time ago there was a show on HBO, The Wire, often quoted as best TV show of all time, along with The Sopranos. There was a character, Omar in The Wire.. He is closer to some of the gay men I know

What is this gay couple in Modern Family, do you know anybody like them? To me they seem retarded. I admit, I have only watched season 1, cant take this embarrassing mediocrity more than couple of episodes.

In Modern Family, we, gay men are reduced to cute, harmless weirdos in pink shirts.

Forgot something: No, JT, I don't think that gay people will have to come out in an ideal society. Some men like women, some men like men, and in an ideal society, every kid will know some gay peoples, for example in the family or celebs or what. That's one thing I like about the series "Modern Family". And so, if someone finds out he or she like people of the same sex, it is no issue, they just live it.

We, gay men, are a reduced to be a caricature, comic relief, yet again. Do you know any gay couple, such as in Modern Family? I dont.

We are a joke for straight viewing audience. Clowns to amuse viewers. God forbid we are depicted as people just like everybody else, same worries, same joys.

There is a new HBO show now, 'Looking', that shows us as normal humans. Good show, dl it if you can.

Long time ago there was a show on HBO, The Wire, often quoted as best TV show of all time, along with The Sopranos. There was a character, Omar in The Wire.. He is closer to some of the gay men I know

Really? You know gangster drug dealers who carry sawn-off shotguns around and steal drugs from other dealers and you're proposing that they're 'people just like everybody else'? I hope you don't expect us other gay folks to follow their fine example cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Asking for a friend...

Your friend should not make an issue out of it.

Many, many guys under 25 play as they go, especially guys who go to clubs, straight clubs, all the time.. even in Eastern Europe it has become a norm, it is so acceptable, no need to bring it up in conversation even, other than sharing details with close friends.

There are no gay clubs in some East Europe countries, cos they became deserted, the time for them to be there is over.

It has changed from something to hide and deny, to something almost boring and not worth mentioning in 4-5 years.. that is a fast change of attitudes of young people.And that is Eastern europe, never mind Sweden, Denmark, Germany and rest of Western Europe.

Really? You know gangster drug dealers who carry sawn-off shotguns around and steal drugs from other dealers and you're proposing that they're 'people just like everybody else'? I hope you don't expect us other gay folks to follow their fine example cheesy.gif

Maybe not shot guns in the middle of the day, under a long coat, but at night, yes, does a hand gun count to you?

I do know guys like Omar, except they are white, and their stories maybe slightly less colourful. But they are tuff guys, and they are into guys.

Fair enough for u?

Did I not ask you politely about a month ago not to quote, nor address me?

It was a polite request. Maybe you could find it in your heart to oblige me?

Or do you lack all basic manners?

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is a public forum. If you want a place to post where only those who agree with you post then better start your own.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

Some of us already have equality in our home country.

There is NO need to come out if the person feels pressure in doing so, it's not a club they're joining that full disclosure is a requirement, it's private and it's an individuals choice.

Sexuality doesn't define a person.

I respect people's privacy & I'm glad I never had an influence in my life saying "I must".

OT and I apologise.

How long is this infantile game of 'who is friends with who, and 'Im gonna side with my side no matter what' gonna go on in gay sub forum, I wonder.

It ruins this sub forum, we all see this, no? Why keep on going at it? Dont u guys see we all lose? Why keep on going? I just dont understand.. We should keep together.. Instead we have the most confrontational sub forum on TV.

This is a public forum. If you want a place to post where only those who agree with you post then better start your own.

No, if u respected my request, you would stop. I know I would. The moment fellow user requested me to not address him, I would stop.

I think you purposfully try to give me hard time, and that is something not done in polite society, and it should not be done here on ThaiVisa.

What kind of person does something like that?

I think Modern Family is very entertaining and if not good for the gays not bad for the gays either.

I also agree the gay characters aren't realistic.

Looking forward to watching Looking.

I can easily agree that an ideal society would be one where coming out is never an issue while at the same time realizing utopia is a totally unrealistic goal.

We can improve the situation in many countries but it's healthier to understand some people are always gonna hate you just for who you are gay-wise.

Do you need everyone to accept you and not think you're a sick pervert? I don't. First don't shoot me or beat me up for who I am then get full equal and enforceable civil rights and the rest is gravy which can never be legislated.

Edited by Jingthing

Someone who doesn't agree with a lot of what you say. If you expect me to agree with you just because we're both gay then I'm afraid you're out of luck. I don't 'purposely try to give you a hard time'. I just express my own opinions. Am I not allowed to do that? Do you want to take my freedom to speak away from me?

Asking for a friend...

Impossible to answer. If you're not gay there is nothing to come out about. However many people who become aware of your play may conclude you are gay. There's a huge range from people who identify as bisexual to straight guys on the down low.

Actually that confuses me a little....if a straight guy plays with a guy, how can he be claiming straightness ?

If a straight guy plays with another guy, he is 100% like all other straight guys. Please don't worry about your friend, he is just a guy.

Someone who doesn't agree with a lot of what you say. If you expect me to agree with you just because we're both gay then I'm afraid you're out of luck. I don't 'purposely try to give you a hard time'. I just express my own opinions. Am I not allowed to do that? Do you want to take my freedom to speak away from me?

No. I dont want you to agree or disagree with me.

I find you unpleasant, and lacking. I would prefer you not address me, that is all.

In my bubble, it's every gay person in my home country that enjoys full equality.

The pressure associated with being gay is enormous and to add to that by saying they "should come out" is frankly idiotic.

In Canada there is some sort of pressure to come out? Where in Canada, please? In Ont, BC, Quebec?

You can't be serious! In 2002 being gay in Toronto was as easy as easy as anything. I lived in TO at the time. Maybe it was difficult for some guys, but in 2002 it was a non issue in Toronto. I was there.

If you wish to argue w OP, and clearly you do (different TV teams and all, like in 8th grade) you have to come up with something better than Toronto in 2002.

And we have 2012 now, it is a non issue for many gay guys, but it is not pressure from society, these are pressures from peers, friends.

Fine. We disagree then. Easy or hard every time you reveal your minority orientation to a new person you are coming out.

My minority orientation in Thailand - or even on ThaiVisa - is that I am German. I don't feel like coming out when revealing that.

The reason is that I don't think it's anything I need apologize for. Think about that for a while before replying.

All of us here are non Thai. This thread is about West, yes? Never mind Thailand.

Some off-topic posts have been deleted. Please play nicely. If you wish to have a private conversation, then use the PM function.

I don't like the series Modern Family. I have no idea why, it just doesn't do much for me. I'll have to watch a few more episodes and see if I can figure out why I don't particularly care for it. I didn't find it offensive, though.

Some off-topic posts have been deleted. Please play nicely. If you wish to have a private conversation, then use the PM function.

I don't like the series Modern Family. I have no idea why, it just doesn't do much for me. I'll have to watch a few more episodes and see if I can figure out why I don't particularly care for it. I didn't find it offensive, though.

I don't recall ever watching it on TV however caught a few episodes on a recent flight and wasn't offended at all in fact there one episode where the fat gay is looking for his dog in a park yelling Stella and not sure if it was the altitude or the port but I roared.

I don't think one can avoid a "coming out", since, like it or not, fellow gay folks are a minority. It all depends on how society reacts to such thing, if we can put it in the same category as one of many personal preferences each human can have, then I'd say goal achieved. The whole equality thing is a myth anyway, each individual is different, and it's totally fine to be that way.

Fine. We disagree then. Easy or hard every time you reveal your minority orientation to a new person you are coming out.

My minority orientation in Thailand - or even on ThaiVisa - is that I am German. I don't feel like coming out when revealing that.

The reason is that I don't think it's anything I need apologize for. Think about that for a while before replying.

All of us here are non Thai. This thread is about West, yes? Never mind Thailand.

Well, I live in Thailand. I don't feel discriminated here in any way.

Asking for a friend...

Your friend should not make an issue out of it.

Many, many guys under 25 play as they go, especially guys who go to clubs, straight clubs, all the time.. even in Eastern Europe it has become a norm, it is so acceptable, no need to bring it up in conversation even, other than sharing details with close friends.

There are no gay clubs in some East Europe countries, cos they became deserted, the time for them to be there is over.

It has changed from something to hide and deny, to something almost boring and not worth mentioning in 4-5 years.. that is a fast change of attitudes of young people.And that is Eastern europe, never mind Sweden, Denmark, Germany and rest of Western Europe.

Interesting to hear this about Eastern Europe. Haven't been there since before the fall of the Iron Curtain.

What is this gay couple in Modern Family, do you know anybody like them? To me they seem retarded. I admit, I have only watched season 1, cant take this embarrassing mediocrity more than couple of episodes.

In Modern Family, we, gay men are reduced to cute, harmless weirdos in pink shirts.

I like Modern Family. In fact, I find the guy married to the Latin lady more funny than the gay couple (never figured out how two effeminate guys can be a couple), but reading the mainstream news, the series did a lot for acceptance of family-style gay couples.

Edited by onthemoon

Dude I'm talking globally. Try coming out in Nigeria today. Things are getting worse for gays now in large parts of the world. I'm happy your Mom was OK with it but yes I've known gays tossed on the streets by their monstrous parents when the gayness was discovered. Please don't insult me with your imaginary projections of what I want. I believe in facing reality. For Jews that means there will always be antisemitism in the world and for gays there will always be homophobia in the world and issues over coming out or not coming out.

Do I want homophobia antisemitism racism sexism etc. wiped off the face of the earth? DUH! But again welcome to the real world.

Again what cloud cuckoo land bubble does one have live in to think Fundy Christianity and Islam are going away ... as both are major contributors to homophobia.

Other religions as well of course inspire homophobia as in India.

Yes, I want homophobia and antisemitism (even though the roots of the discriminations are different) wiped off the face of the earth, along with discriminating against left-handed or red-haired people. Oops, the latter two have already been achieved.

I am sorry to hear that you have given up on the first two issues. I have not.

I don't think one can avoid a "coming out", since, like it or not, fellow gay folks are a minority. It all depends on how society reacts to such thing, if we can put it in the same category as one of many personal preferences each human can have, then I'd say goal achieved. The whole equality thing is a myth anyway, each individual is different, and it's totally fine to be that way.

Sure. Some people are left-handed, some people are red-haired, some people fall in love with people of the same gender, some have a certain ethnicity or religion.

Others have the nationality that people think they have, but in reality they carry a different passport.

• Like 1