CMPO tells media not to provoke unrest: state of emergency

webfact

STATE OF EMERGENCY
CMPO tells media not to provoke unrest

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) is to invite editors of selected media to discuss and make clear that their reports should not provoke unrest, the CMPO's secretary Paradorn Pattanatabut said Wednesday.

He did not reveal which media would be invited. His statement came a day after the government announced a state of an emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding areas to deal with the ongoing antigovernment protests led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban.

The order, which took effective today, will remain in force for two months. Paradorn dismissed reports that the centre will use the authority granted to it under the emergency decree to shut down the media, saying the invitation has nothing to do with blocking the press.

"We should have a similar understanding that news reports are not a source of provocation and instigation that could lead to chaos and unrest," he said.

The media should not worry if they stuck to reporting the facts, he added.

Asked whether he will invite Blue Sky Channel, which is affiliated to Democrat Party, Paradorn said he had already conveyed the message but if there were inappropriate news reports, its editors would also be invited.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-22

Govt To Invite Press Editors For 'Discussion'
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK: -- The Director of National Security Council has asserted that government's enactment of emergency decree will not lead to the crackdown on anti-government protests.

Lt.Gen. Paradorn Pattanatabutr said the government has decided to invoke the State of Emergency yesterday in order to respond to escalating incidents in the past few weeks, which saw deadly grenade attacks on the protesters, drive-by shootings, and occupation of important state agencies by the protesters.

"The protesters might feel hostile, but I believe that when we make them understand the intention of the government behind the declaration of emergency decree, the people who attend the protests will understand, and some might even leave the protests," said Lt.Gen. Paradorn.

He stressed that the decree is aimed at assisting the police in providing public security. "There won′t be a crackdown on the protests," Lt.Gen. Paradorn added.

Nevertheless, Lt.Gen. Paradorn asserted that another objective of the emergency decree is to "manage" the media in order to ensure that the press will refrain from "inflammatory" reporting and stick to "presentation of facts", which will help the public exercise their judgment whether to join the protests.

Lt.Gen. Paradorn insisted that this power will not constitute as a censorship, as the authorities will simply invite editors some news agencies for a discussion, in which the officials will kindly ask them to refrain from broadcasting false, inflammatory, and violence-inciting contents.

"If they report only the facts, there will be no problem," said the Director of the NSC.

The government can also employ the powers of National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commision (NBTC) to "manage" the media in a timely manner, Lt.Gen. Paradorn suggested.

Asked whether there would be any action against Blue Sky TV, a satellite channel allied to the anti-government protest leadership, Lt.Gen. Paradorn replied that "message has been sent. If they still continue to act inappropriately, we will have to invite them for discussion".

He added, "I believe the officials will exercise good judgment and find appropriate measures" in dealing with the channel.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1ETTROVEV4TlE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-22

I hope the no fibs rules wont inhibit the advertising,election or promotions industries,

May lead to amended emergency copy

e.g. I may love you for quite an extended period (terms and conditioners may apply)

Semi -Amazing Thailand, buy one pay for two. Your inconvenience is seldom too much trouble

Vote for us we'll make it worthwhile ...one day,,,honest ...the cheques in the post.

• Like 2

Well, I don't like this at all. Red and Yellow stations should both be allowed to promote lawlessness in equal measure! Just because Blue Sky broadcast the protest stages whenever anyone was speaking, and broadcast hate-rhetoric statements from protest leaders to encourage kidnapping, recommend sexually assaulting Ms. Yingluck, and ran the on-stage rants of people encouraging cutting off power and water to government buildings and interfering with the stock exchange, SET, and shutting down the air traffic control center is no reason for the government to....

wait a minute...

I lost my own thread....

Free speech gives anyone the right to scream "Fire" in a movie theater and....dam_n, sorry...

lost my own thread again...

My apologies. ermm.gif

Edited by FangFerang

Well, I don't like this at all. Red and Yellow stations should both be allowed to promote lawlessness in equal measure! Just because Blue Sky broadcast the protest stages whenever anyone was speaking, and broadcast hate-rhetoric statements from protest leaders to encourage kidnapping, recommend sexually assaulting Ms. Yingluck, and ran the on-stage rants of people encouraging cutting off power and water to government buildings and interfering with the stock exchange, SET, and shutting down the air traffic control center is no reason for the government to....

wait a minute...

I lost my own thread....

Free speech gives anyone the right to scream "Fire" in a movie theater and....dam_n, sorry...

lost my own thread again...

My apologies. ermm.gif

As long as free speech doesn't give anyone the right to scream "Fire" at the protest site......

The Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO)

Before you can start maintenance on something, you first have to have it...

They've obviously drafted in some of those optimistic people from TAT since changing the name from the Center for the Administration of Peace and Order.

The Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO)

Before you can start maintenance on something, you first have to have it...

They've obviously drafted in some of those optimistic people from TAT since changing the name from the Center for the Administration of Peace and Order.

"CAPO" sounds too much like a mafia term ..... "CMPO" sounds like a shortened version (maybe Thai street version) of "compost"

Sure that the media in Zimbabwe, North Korea and Iran are also called to "briefings"!!coffee1.gif

This makes Suthep look almost like a reasonable man!

Oh yeah it makes Suthep look like a very reasonable man rolleyes.gif if only he wasn't deputy PM when this happened...

Reporters Without Borders : "So far, around 4,500 websites have been blocked in an attempt by the regime to institute partial censorship of news about the nine-week crisis. Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s Twitter account has also been blocked since May 19.

On that same day, the leadership’s Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) blocked Facebook and Twitter, which had been functioning as alternative sources of news after TV stations began broadcasting government-controlled programming...."

Edited by firestar

The CMPO is right, some elements of the media are exploiting the situation with their constant barrage of bias anti-goverment propaganda. eg The Nation.

From a business sense i can understand but from an ethical and journalistic sense, its unethical and wrong.

The CMPO is right, some elements of the media are exploiting the situation with their constant barrage of bias anti-goverment propaganda. eg The Nation. From a business sense i can understand but from an ethical and journalistic sense, its unethical and wrong.

But they should leave the red shirts TV channel alone, because they're not biased at all, are they?