MAYA mall opening today!

tangcoral

In Kad Suan Kaew yesterday and like a ghost mall. Very few people and the usual stalls in the central floor areas were absent -just open space.

And it just looks very old, tired and tatty.

Demolition and change of use for my money, and not too long from now.

rubbish. i'm there at least 3 times a week on business and i've known a number of sellers there for close to 10 years. they told me that business has not fallen off one bit at all with the opening of all the malls. ghost mall? it has been absolutely packed each time i have been there over the last several weeks.

demolition? it is a very profitable venture. nothing wrong with it. its a shopping center.

KSK always seems much busier to me than Promenada.... On top of that I would think that people visit KSK to actually buy things, not just for window shopping.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Maya Mall. It looks like 70-75% of the shops are occupied. Those of you who thought the Rim Ping was that candy shop on the fourth floor are just like Hubby. That's just a little shop to catch the crowd buying snacks on their way up to the excellent cinema on the fifth floor. Yeah, English language movies within walking distance of home! Didn't catch a show today, but the prices looked very reasonable, the selection of movies is first rate and the lobby area as nice as the cinema at Promenada.

As for the Rim Ping -- it opened at 4 pm, in the basement, where most grocery stores are located in malls in Thailand. Every woman knows this is the proper place for a grocery store. We're not fooled by some candy closet on the fourth floor!

The Rim Ping is about the size of the store at Nim City Airport Plaza (maybe a bit smaller) and it's targeting the Japanese and Korean expat crowd. Guess what, we're not the only expats in town! But, they still had a good selection of everything you expect from Rim Ping -- cheeses, 399 baht bottles of wine, beautiful produce, excellent baked goods, plus a sushi and sake bar.

Meanwhile, the mall is pretty. The first floor is airy, with high end stuff like cars, leather goods, designer clothing. You know, stuff you'll never buy, but it makes you feel special to walk in the place. Go up the escalators and you'll find there are at least three drug stores, 4-5 places to buy athletic shoes, 3-4 places for jeans, at least one export clothing shop, couple of book sellers, couple of banks (but the major banks are under-represented) and yes, there is a KFC plus the Japanese chain restaurants. There were some interesting looking Thai food places (looked to be a cut above food court offering). A few places to buy phones, although high tech stuff did seem to be under-represented.

In general, for those of us who live in the central city and rely on song thaews and tuk-tuks for transport, this mall is a welcome addition to Kad Suan Kaew and Central Airport Plaza. For those of you with cars, it's probably just another yawner and you can point your cars toward Central Festival.

nice report, thanks for that. where is the parking by the way? i drove past it last night when they were doing the opening ceremony thing outside and half the attendees seemed to be using the superhighway as a car park.

by the way, those techno toilets are very common in korea. whether they'll catch on here or not will be interesting to see.

KSK always seems much busier to me than Promenada.... On top of that I would think that people visit KSK to actually buy things, not just for window shopping.

Agreed. I see people in KSK actually buying stuff; the new malls seem more like a modern version of Victorians walking the promenade or esplanade. tongue.png

okay I found the new Rimping store.

The lower level is fairly good for food vendors and nice it's so close to where I live

Couple of observations about the Rimping.

Not that much in the way of fresh produce and really narrow aisles. It wasn't that crowded and still had to wait for people to shuffle out of the way. With a shopping cart its a mini cluster F%. Just felt really cramped like a mini mart.

I don't think Tops at KSK has any real worries. Just a lot more fresh produce and freshly prepared foods and better values.

This Rimping is mostly stocked with the high margin stuff like frozen imported beef etc.

Maybe over time they get more space and variety.

Not really complaining because its nice to have an alternative especially for hard to find stuff.

Asics GEL cumulus-14 running shoes. 4900 Baht. Googled it USD 79.00 online, about double price. Dont think this "tight-fisted farang" needs new shoes today....

Do you actually buy shoes on line. What if they are to narrow or to wide. I don't think there is a uniform size for shoes. What one company calls a 12 another calls it a 45 or some thing else. I guess if you have had previous experience with them it would be OK.

Kind of scary not having dealt with them before. I know when I was buying regular shoes it depended on the maker all the way from a size 9 EEE to a size 10 EEE.

Went to Maya this morning, small, nothing much special, doubt I will go again.

Their KFC was small, dingy and no views out.

Central Festival wins on every front.

We did enjoy tampering with the motorbikes though....and there was a nice plethora of young ladies displaying their wares.:rolleyes:

It was what I call a cosy mall, doesn't have the wow factor of central but I think in time it will develop its own local clientele and of course be a great shopping place for the nimmen hotel guests.

I think the restaurants will do well as the nimmen area is pretty poor for decent eateries imho

As for ksk just watch the whole of the cosmetic area within the central area disappear and set up in one of the current vacant central areas at maya.

Ksk has been on a wind down for 3 yrs just waiting for the new rental space in the malls.

It will turn into warorot nimmen soon.

Asics GEL cumulus-14 running shoes. 4900 Baht. Googled it USD 79.00 online, about double price. Dont think this "tight-fisted farang" needs new shoes today....

Do you actually buy shoes on line. What if they are to narrow or to wide. I don't think there is a uniform size for shoes. What one company calls a 12 another calls it a 45 or some thing else. I guess if you have had previous experience with them it would be OK.

Kind of scary not having dealt with them before. I know when I was buying regular shoes it depended on the maker all the way from a size 9 EEE to a size 10 EEE.

try on in shop, if they fit, buy online.

• Like 1

Agreed. I see people in KSK actually buying stuff; the new malls seem more like a modern version of Victorians walking the promenade or esplanade. tongue.png

that is so true. we have been to the new shopping malls (except the Maya) and rarely do you see anyone actually buying things. they just walk around looking, buying snacks and so forth. the children's play center at the new Central mall looks quite busy. i bet they do well as does the skating rink. but the over-priced shops? i don't think they get much business. i doubt many Omega watches are being sold...

in KSK i always see people buying things, carrying the packages and so forth. likewise at Central plaza airport.

In Kad Suan Kaew yesterday and like a ghost mall. Very few people and the usual stalls in the central floor areas were absent -just open space.

And it just looks very old, tired and tatty.

Demolition and change of use for my money, and not too long from now.

rubbish. i'm there at least 3 times a week on business and i've known a number of sellers there for close to 10 years. they told me that business has not fallen off one bit at all with the opening of all the malls. ghost mall? it has been absolutely packed each time i have been there over the last several weeks.

demolition? it is a very profitable venture. nothing wrong with it. its a shopping center.

Rubbish?? I was there for 2 hours yesterday (unfortunately) with some out of towners, going in way too many shops. I tell you what I saw-very very few people.

KSK 'absolutely packed??- now that's rubbish!! But if you want to listen to traders whistling in the dark - up to you. In your many visits on business each week you havent seen all the empty floor space that was always occupied??

Spend an hour in Central Festival, then spend and hour (outside of 12-2 maybe), in KSK. And if you still feel so bullish. rent some space-they will be happy to take your money.

It'll be gone inside 24 months......

An interesting clash of views here. I go to KSK once or twice a week, and I would say you are both right, after a fashion. The place is definitely showing its age, but I am old and shopworn myself, so I like a funky place like that. The Tops Market downstairs is great, and they keep it clean and well stocked. There are definitely a lot of empty spaces to fill. upstairs. There are signs all over the place for "IT City". I finally found the place a couple of weeks ago, and it's a pretty typical computer products place on Floor Three in a far corner, surrounded by...nothing. They seemed quite glad to see me both times I've been there. Whole lotta nothing going on.

One thing they have in abundance at KSK is phone shops.You need anything to do with a phone, that's the place.

There are still a lot of customers at KSK, but a lot of them are very young, and probably mostly just hanging out. I would say there's little hope for a comeback, unless the place is dramatically "re-purposed". And for what? If the rents are kept reasonable, it would be a great place for a small shop to locate. The new malls would be out of the question financially.

The one thing that might keep it alive is the frightening cost involved in tearing it down. That is one massive fortress! The brick facade is falling apart in places. I'm an old construction guy, so I look at such details.

One place that seems to be going down slowly is Pantip Plaza. They seem to have lost several important anchor tenants of late. The Office Mate disappeared seemingly overnight, gone to Central Festival. I hope Pantip stays alive. They've got a great bunch of little shops upstairs with independent guys who are IT wizards, as well as some good shops on the main floor for buying computers and cameras.

just back from maya. overall i think its pretty decent place to chill out. nice food stalls on the 4th level, rimping is okay too but i cant find any sk products there. the b1 food court provide too little seats and the parking is absolutely ball twisting

Edited by lachiplo

I was by there yesterday. My biggest disappointment was the seating at the food court area -- not nearly enough places.

The biggest surprise is that movies are on 100 baht on Wednesday, although you can pay more for better seats. It's been so long since I've been to a movie I don't know if that is a good price or not, but it seems very reasonable.

I forgot to look to see how far the parking garage went up, but it's at least to the third or fourth floor, probably all the way to the top.

I wasn't able to explore the rooftop view since they had the escalator shut down to that level by the time I arrived.

I didn't walk into Rimping since I had no intention of buying anything since I didn't want to carry it around. I'm anxious to see what's on offer there.

I have been running on The ASICS IGS platform for years over various models, know what size fits. What I don't understand is why a Japanese companies shoe, which is produced in what ever Asian sweat shop is cheapest at the moment, costs almost twice as much here as it will Tokyo or LA.

Yeah....KSK wins my vote....I go there when I actually want to buy something, whereas at Central and Festival I window shop due to the fact everything is generally top retail prices. The cinema's are good though!

As for Promenada, went there once when it opened and that was enough!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

Had to drive from the Chang Puak Rd/SuperHighway intersection to the Rincom intersection today at around 4:30... Managed to make about 400 meters before I gave up, bailed on the highway, and took the back streets behind the hotel to get to Huay Kaew Rd. I'm on a pretty small bike, but even with that there was simply no way to get through. Traffic was at a dead stop for the 10 minutes that I sat there, until there was enough of an opening for me to reach the shoulder. Then I sat there another 4-5 minutes until there was enough room on the shoulder to squeeze through to the corner. There must have been 6 'lanes' of cars all trying to fit down that road at one time... It was not pretty.

Had to drive from the Chang Puak Rd/SuperHighway intersection to the Rincom intersection today at around 4:30... Managed to make about 400 meters before I gave up, bailed on the highway, and took the back streets behind the hotel to get to Huay Kaew Rd. I'm on a pretty small bike, but even with that there was simply no way to get through. Traffic was at a dead stop for the 10 minutes that I sat there, until there was enough of an opening for me to reach the shoulder. Then I sat there another 4-5 minutes until there was enough room on the shoulder to squeeze through to the corner. There must have been 6 'lanes' of cars all trying to fit down that road at one time... It was not pretty.

Its not much easier trying to walk across the street to get to Maya either. In fact it is dangerous. Too bad there wasn't any thought or planning to deal with the obvious increase in traffic.

I have been running on The ASICS IGS platform for years over various models, know what size fits. What I don't understand is why a Japanese companies shoe, which is produced in what ever Asian sweat shop is cheapest at the moment, costs almost twice as much here as it will Tokyo or LA.

Western brand shoes costs at least twice as much in Thailand as they do in the U.S., even though many of them are made in SE Asia. Shoes are on the list of things that I buy when I make my once a year trip back to the U.S., along with clothes, bed sheets, electronics, and, when requested by lady friends, cosmetics and perfume.

• Like 1

Maya should have been forced to make an underpass under the superhighway as a condition of getting planning permission. The one at Big C south of Makro on the super has one & it works well. But then again TIT. Hope it fails for lack of foresight.

I would have been so easy to build a pedestrian tunnel going from Maya to Think Park, for those of us who walk from Nimman to Maya. However, the heavy traffic makes it pretty simple to cross the street. Car can't move fast, so just wait for the green light in favor of your way.

• Like 1

Dukes at Maya? I hope so but where are they possibly going to put it? I didn't see any available space. I hope I am wrong.

Dave mentioned he already had the space reserved at Maya.

Did he give you a time for it to open? I know he has plans for two other operations.

So far there has been a BIB directing pedestrians. It's still a little dodgy especially for the old folks.

If the Maya owners don't pay for crossing guard longterm they are not so bright.

With all due respect how bright was it to plan in the first place with no accommodating factors for traffic and foot traffic at what could arguably be the busiest intersection in Chiang Mai?

One can hope there was more planning in the construction.

It would not be the first shopping mall in the world to have the roof cave in on.

the owners im sure did the numbers, but thats all they did. no consideration for the traffic, or the community. just build it and they will come mentality. how brainwashed people can be. one can scream "I love my country and I want my country free of corruption", as they drive to the new mall to sip a starbucks and make believe they are getting an experience.