MAYA mall opening today!

tangcoral

Dukes at Maya? I hope so but where are they possibly going to put it? I didn't see any available space. I hope I am wrong.

Dave mentioned he already had the space reserved at Maya.

Did he give you a time for it to open? I know he has plans for two other operations.

Dave just said soon and that he already had the space reserved. :-)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always amazes me men talking about shopping, the feminazation of the male expat.

No dear.....there is no mention on here about watsons,boots,h&m,miss selfridge,top shop etc etc

Read back....its all about kfc,rimping,dukes,motorbikes,movies,starbucks.

Men don't do shopping UNTIL they need something, then they put their shoes on and go and buy.

All over and done in thirty minutes because kfc,rimping,dukes .....beckons.

• Like 1

The traffic on Saturday around Rin Kham intersection was just horrendous. Took me 30 minutes to get through on a motorbike from Sutheep Rd.

Terrible place to put a shopping mall. Might as well move back to BKK. At least they have a skytrain.

Went there today, about 6pm, busy shopping time I guess.

Starbucks - very small, but still couple of tables free.

Restaurants - quite packed all of them.

There will be new fitness centre on the 5th floor "Touch - shape and fitness centre". Opening in April. More info about it in separated post I have created.

I like idea of "CAMP" 24 hours open "meeting and creative place".

Was going to take a peek today but got stuck in the queue for parking, gave up after 20 minutes of sitting and waiting, maybe try again during the week.

Yeah, it's seems the Huay Kaew entrance (and exit!) is not working out all that well. (Surprise. wink.png )

Probably better luck from the Superhighway which at least means an easier exit, however on the way in that would still mean having to get past the Rincome intersection.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Was going to take a peek today but got stuck in the queue for parking, gave up after 20 minutes of sitting and waiting, maybe try again during the week.

Yeah, it's seems the Huay Kaew entrance (and exit!) is not working out all that well. (Suprise. wink.png )

Probably better luck from the Superhighway which at least means an easier exit, however on the way in that would still mean having to get past the Rincome intersection.

Is there a helipad on the roof for VIPs?

• Like 1

Yeah, it's seems the Huay Kaew entrance (and exit!) is not working out all that well. (Suprise. wink.png )

Is there a helipad on the roof for VIPs?

There is at Central Festival. We watched a helicopter land about a week ago. My kid was quite excited.

• Like 1

Just got back from Maya Mall. It looks like 70-75% of the shops are occupied. Those of you who thought the Rim Ping was that candy shop on the fourth floor are just like Hubby. That's just a little shop to catch the crowd buying snacks on their way up to the excellent cinema on the fifth floor. Yeah, English language movies within walking distance of home! Didn't catch a show today, but the prices looked very reasonable, the selection of movies is first rate and the lobby area as nice as the cinema at Promenada.

As for the Rim Ping -- it opened at 4 pm, in the basement, where most grocery stores are located in malls in Thailand. Every woman knows this is the proper place for a grocery store. We're not fooled by some candy closet on the fourth floor!

The Rim Ping is about the size of the store at Nim City Airport Plaza (maybe a bit smaller) and it's targeting the Japanese and Korean expat crowd. Guess what, we're not the only expats in town! But, they still had a good selection of everything you expect from Rim Ping -- cheeses, 399 baht bottles of wine, beautiful produce, excellent baked goods, plus a sushi and sake bar.

Meanwhile, the mall is pretty. The first floor is airy, with high end stuff like cars, leather goods, designer clothing. You know, stuff you'll never buy, but it makes you feel special to walk in the place. Go up the escalators and you'll find there are at least three drug stores, 4-5 places to buy athletic shoes, 3-4 places for jeans, at least one export clothing shop, couple of book sellers, couple of banks (but the major banks are under-represented) and yes, there is a KFC plus the Japanese chain restaurants. There were some interesting looking Thai food places (looked to be a cut above food court offering). A few places to buy phones, although high tech stuff did seem to be under-represented.

In general, for those of us who live in the central city and rely on song thaews and tuk-tuks for transport, this mall is a welcome addition to Kad Suan Kaew and Central Airport Plaza. For those of you with cars, it's probably just another yawner and you can point your cars toward Central Festival.

Awesome report!! Strolled all the floors with notepad and pen? Did you by chance see a Sante Fe Steakhouse, or a Kanome Chin Bangkok restaurant?

The traffic on Saturday around Rin Kham intersection was just horrendous. Took me 30 minutes to get through on a motorbike from Sutheep Rd.

Terrible place to put a shopping mall. Might as well move back to BKK. At least they have a skytrain.

stopped in there saturday afternoon too and the traffic was beyond a joke. whole junction was a snarled up mess and the mororbike parking was a farce as well. it's a bad, bad location for anything this, let alone a high traffic shopping mall. and there's nowhere near enough in the mall to make it worth the hassle - even the rimping isn't up to much compared with the larger, easier to get in and out of branches.

The Mall builders have seriously overestimated demand in Chiang Mai. If Maya isn't the last new one for a long time I will be very surprised. How many cinemas do we need?

Surprise then.... Platinum fashion mall is being constructed near Chiangmai business park (super highway).

Just talked to a friend of mine and a friend of his, foreman of Central Festival construction, said that KSK will undergo major renovation and it will be renamed to Platinum Mall.

• Like 1

The Mall builders have seriously overestimated demand in Chiang Mai. If Maya isn't the last new one for a long time I will be very surprised. How many cinemas do we need?

Surprise then.... Platinum fashion mall is being constructed near Chiangmai business park (super highway).

Just talked to a friend of mine and a friend of his, foreman of Central Festival construction, said that KSK will undergo major renovation and it will be renamed to Platinum Mall.

Just like the Energizer Bunny. They keep building,and building and building...

• Like 1

Crazy, one or more of the three have to fail, Promenada, Central Festival or Maya, there isn't enough customers nor money,

How do you know this? The mall investors likely did their research, along with expected increase in population and wealth over the coming 5 years. Not saying they can't be wrong, but they likely gave it more thought than the average Thaivisa pundit.

Also, competition is good. If two of them prove to be much better than the others then it's just fine if the lesser ones don't make it.

Excluding KSK for now (as it doesn't really compete unless work is done on it), that means four proper malls in the Chiang Mai area. (And pretty much the whole of Northern Thailand). Wikipedia has the population of the Chiang Mai Metropolitan Area (which includes Lamphun) at a million people. Plus tourists. Plus that also for people in, say, Lampang it's an hour and a half to drive over and go shopping.

Four malls does not seem completely unreasonable. Sure, maybe one of them doesn't make it, or shifts focus away from a general mall. That's okay. Maybe the other two new ones only turn a profit in 10 years. That's probably okay too.

I agree - Airport Plaza 5 years ago, and parking was easy - then they had to open up the rough ground behind to accommodate - now they have built a new extension to the multi, and extended car parking around the new furniture shops in the (as was) rough car park - and yet it is often very difficult and frustrating finding a parking space! KSK is better for parking, limited, but there always seems to be space - although like you infer, pretty dilapidated.

Having said that, Promenade always seems to be fairly empty (outside of events like Children's Day and New year) - but their free buses in and out, and especially if extended to cater for other areas, once people get used to it, could be a boon over time. One thing that was criticized was its position out of town - this may well be a strength with the onslaught of traffic issue in the and around the city these days.

Out of the 5 malls, I would suggest KSK is most likely to fail - only really its location keeps it alive - and choice may wash that down further.

I quite like Promenade (though the air con can be cruel at this time of the year brrrrr) - and spend a fair amount of time at AP (due it its closeness to my home really - can cycle there without having brave the city proper). Promenade designers have paid good attention to parking, which none of the other seem to have (AP did of course - although the planned sky bridge from the flyover never materialised - it was just insufficient), with multiple entries, lots of (at least for now) actually quite useful parking attendants - although they seem to have gone cone-mad!

Edited by wolf5370

I am going through Rinkham Intersection every day from Monday to Friday. Coming back from work about 5 or 6 or 7pm, most busy traffic hours.

Monday, Wednesday and Thursday I was going from Nimmanhemin to Superhighway. Tuesday and Friday I was going from Huay Kaew Road to Superhighway.

I have noticed, that traffic is less than before MAYA opening. Is it possible ? Anybody else have noticed ? Or I was just lucky 5 times to get there right on the green light. I am driving motorbike.

The opening weekend was horrendous at Maya for access. It was bad timing given that outrageous intersection and CMU's events.

Yes, it is handy for walking from the Nimmenhamen area, if that is your opportunity. The intersection, of course, has always been a chore to transit, and especially so at "rush hours."

Kad Suan Kaew really does have a better location, in my view, and it is attractive for other reasons, as well. There is a mix of inexpensive as well as nice stores albeit no Marks & Spencer. Who needs Marks & Spencer, anyway! The restaurant chains? They are copies of one another so it makes no difference, really.

The management of Kad Suan Kaew has been very short-sighted. It absolutely needs renovation, and it does appear that some minor things are being taken care of now, but there is much more to be done. Kad Suan Kaew does give you (for a mall) a flavor of Chiang Mai proper that is not found, as I have seen, in the other malls which seem much more "imported" in their design and tenants. The "local market" aspect of Kad Suan Kaew is pleasant to experience, in my view. Thursday and Fridays evenings on the plaza are fun, and every day there are the local vendors, shoe and key repair, small print shops, post office, animal shops and so on. I haven't seen much like that in the newer malls, really, including (for the most part) the Central Airport. Just glitz, mainly.

Well, if glitz is your thing, and if you are outside of town, the outlying malls are fun, so enjoy.

By the way, the design of the newer Rimping markets is really inconvenient. So much is packed into such little floorspace. The aisles are very narrow and the products are often on very high shelves. The older stores are much easier to navigate.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

The opening weekend was horrendous at Maya for access. It was bad timing given that outrageous intersection and CMU's events.

Yes, it is handy for walking from the Nimmenhamen area, if that is your opportunity. The intersection, of course, has always been a chore to transit, and especially so at "rush hours."

Kad Suan Kaew really does have a better location, in my view, and it is attractive for other reasons, as well. There is a mix of inexpensive as well as nice stores albeit no Marks & Spencer. Who needs Marks & Spencer, anyway! The restaurant chains? They are copies of one another so it makes no difference, really.

The management of Kad Suan Kaew has been very short-sighted. It absolutely needs renovation, and it does appear that some minor things are being taken care of now, but there is much more to be done. Kad Suan Kaew does give you (for a mall) a flavor of Chiang Mai proper that is not found, as I have seen, in the other malls which seem much more "imported" in their design and tenants. The "local market" aspect of Kad Suan Kaew is pleasant to experience, in my view. Thursday and Fridays evenings on the plaza are fun, and every day there are the local vendors, shoe and key repair, small print shops, post office, animal shops and so on. I haven't seen much like that in the newer malls, really, including (for the most part) the Central Airport. Just glitz, mainly.

Well, if glitz is your thing, and if you are outside of town, the outlying malls are fun, so enjoy.

By the way, the design of the newer Rimping markets is really inconvenient. So much is packed into such little floorspace. The aisles are very narrow and the products are often on very high shelves. The older stores are much easier to navigate.

Well I am not going to comment on who is best or who will fold there tepee up and move along. But I do have to admit sitting there in the Starbucks at the main entrance to KSK is a very pleasant experience. Maybe the roof of the new Maya will be one but it will certainly be different more like a static scene.

The "local market" aspect of Kad Suan Kaew is pleasant to experience, in my view. Thursday and Fridays evenings on the plaza are fun, and every day there are the local vendors, shoe and key repair, small print shops, post office, animal shops and so on. I haven't seen much like that in the newer malls, really, including (for the most part) the Central Airport. Just glitz, mainly.

The local market type places would need to work hard to recover the 50k/month rent the new malls charge.

Not much to see and not a patch on Festival (for shops) or Promenada (for space and... peace and quiet rolleyes.gif). Best thing: Rimping, worst: position and run-of-the-mill shops... too many banks/pharmacies as per the norm. The food court bit downstairs is cool, but.

While I don't always agree with Mapguy, I'm with him on the local, neighborhood feel to KSK. I always run into at least half a dozen people I know everytime I go, even if it's just to use the place as a short-cut to go to CM Ram. It's really like going to the main street of a small town.

There's the post office, bank, shops to pay or ask about your internet, phone, TV service, copy shop, place to enjoy food or a beer while listening to an Elvis impersonator from the Phillipines as your copies are being made (sorry, he's the "old Elvis", while I guess is better than the usual "fat Elvis" we have with these bands in the U.S.) You can meet up with friends for coffee or meals. Good advice from the local pharmacy. Kiosks where someone will change out your watch battery or make a new key. All sorts of places for nails, facials, massages. And then there's Central, which despite it's fairly small size is still our No. 1 place to go for appliances, both large and small.

There are really only three things where we've had to go across town that really should be at Kad Suan Kaew. Someone selling cut flowers. And a good source for BBQ chicken -- gai yang. There's no shortage of gai thoot -- fried chicken, but BBQ isn't anywhere to be found, at least not that I can find. How expensive could it be to set up a flower shop or a BBQ chicken shop?

Oh yeah, the English language movie situation isn't good, either. It's really tragic what lack of maintenance has done to the movie theaters area at KSK. But that problem is expensive to fix.

Edited by NancyL

great shame it will lose it's Lanna name "Glass Garden Market" sad.png

Yeah, it's seems the Huay Kaew entrance (and exit!) is not working out all that well. (Surprise. wink.png )

Went to immigration yesterday and then to the Maya. I was willing to get out and walk part way as it would have been quicker. But once you are through the intersection it is an easy entrance.

Thais do purchase quite a lot. And part of opening a shop inside a mall is to attract these "future customers" and impress them in advance. Window shopping is part of the retail decisions.

Maya right now is attracting more window shoppers but it would soon change. The only mall I think that will fail soon is Promenada with literally no magnet at all. No reason to go to. Not to mention confused parking layout and its crappy location.

Thais do purchase quite a lot. And part of opening a shop inside a mall is to attract these "future customers" and impress them in advance. Window shopping is part of the retail decisions.

Maya right now is attracting more window shoppers but it would soon change. The only mall I think that will fail soon is Promenada with literally no magnet at all. No reason to go to. Not to mention confused parking layout and its crappy location.

Didn't notice that many people there buying or window shopping. It is like the Promenada. Built in such away that you really can't see every one from one point. The one thing about the Promenada is they were foreword thinking. The area has a lot of room to grow in. Where as the Maya built in a location with all ready a high concentration of people. Be interesting to see how it works out in two years. It still has competition from KSK.

If I had to rate them I would say KSK defiantly has the best food store with Tops and the Maya the best movie theater. The rest will have to sort itself out. KSK defiantly needs some form of make over and Maya will have to go through the growing pains of what will stay and what won't stay. I hope the Birkenstock shoe store stays there.

As for crappy location are you sure it is not you in the crappy location.biggrin.png