What internet security does everyone use?

vistana

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want kaspersky Internet security, I can buy for you in UK and send you the License key from UK.

As an IT professional, I use Kaspersky for businesses and people looking for personal laptop protection. I personally think Kaspersky is the best out there but Bitdefender is getting extremely good reviews these days.

Forget McAfee and Norton...anything free is OK only and I see many, many PCs come through my office doors after having been infected with the free AVG option.

Basically, I put three things on my PC. Kaspersky Internet Security Suite (now 2014)...Malwarebytes and Ccleaner. With these items on my PC, I think I'm as safe as I can be without using a business level UTM / Firewall.

I can provide single or multiple licenses and multi-device licenses for PC, MAC and Android and for those who will start shouting that MACs don't need protection....they do.

If you want to go Kaspersky or any other software that is heavily over-priced in Thailand, just let me know and I can arrange to get you the licenses you want and payment can be made to a Thai bank account or PayPal... Just PM me..

Follow up post to one above:

For anyone wanting a backup solution, use a NAS...USB drives are not reliable and the hard drive is prone to failure...as they all are.

A 2 bay NAS, with a RAID 1 (mirrored) configuration, will set you back around 13,000 Baht depending on the size of drives used. It might sound expensive but it's nothing if you have data you can't afford to lose.

I have clients who have told me they've ended up paying 150,000 Baht ++ for professional data recovery services (top level stuff admittedly, but they still paid it), so 13,000 Baht is peanuts in the scheme of things.

I have had clients who are professional photographers and lost an entire day's wedding photographs after placing them on a USB external drive. I've had a headmistress who lost her school's pupil's records (all of them)... a wedding videotographer who lost a client's wedding video.. countless individuals who lost photos of their kids going back since they were born....and so on and so on...all had used an external USB drive as a backup / storage medium.

So, if you need that data, avoid USB drives and go for a NAS that sits connected to your Router via Ethernet. No need to connect / disconnect all the time and if one drive fails, replace it and you are back with complete data protection...

Just a head's up after reading a comment about USB backups.

As I understand it Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer supported.

I ditched it about 9 months ago after a virus. I have a corrupt registry which is irreparable. The only solution is a complete reinstall which I shall do this weekend.

Since MSE I have been using Bit defender free version with which I have been very pleased. It's unobtrusive, effective and, best of all can be customized to accept files that I know to be fine but other antivirus programmes delete without so much as a by your leave.

I agree with the above and have been using Bitdefender free the the last year and very pleased with it - stays out of the way but is there when needed.

As noted people have good luck with all - but most of that is up to chance and there ability to avoid the obvious virus traps of clicking on an unknown link without careful consideration. But for the off-chance one of the best testing visa programs should be available to protect you so do check the most current reviews of various programs before making a decision - this can change over time so what was best last year may not be best now.

"best testing visa programs"

Nothing as annoying as getting a malicious visa.

• 2 weeks later...

I just deleted Mcafee (free 1st year version that was preinstalled) on my ultrabook pc, the program was running like a mad using almost all the cpu and not even connected to the i-net, <deleted>?

I am using Avast (free version) on my desk top pc and will install that on my ultrabook as well as it seems to be doing the job just fine.

Never Mcafee for me again.

I used to use Zone alarm back in the days of dial-up. But with everything behind NAT routers and Windows having it's own firewall, there's a lot less need now.

You might want to revise that opinion, because the threat has shifted from outside your PC/LAN to within the PC.

Lots of software nowadays tries to connect to headquarters to upload information that IMHO has nothing to do outside of my PC.

The firewall also stops troyans, keyloggers, etc.